Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How are you liking mandatory old dungeons being introduced with regular seasons in DF

This really bothers me as someone who can easily spend up to 10-15 hours a day playing mythic plus alone. Now in Dragonflight players are being forced to play old dungeons with normal regular mythic plus seasons.

I think it's too forced of idea in my personal opinion. Repeating old dungeons at large (which is what mplus requires from you to do anyway) can be extremely demotivating factor to continue playing WoW for me. The fact that I've done them to the point of mild PTSD. It doesn't look to be any optimistic to be honest. Only new things should be mainstream, and old dungeons should be buried away and left to timewalking instead.

I don't mind it, keeps things a bit more fresh.

As long as they're eventually balanced properly I don't mind.

Its a fun change from the regular and digs into the massive amount of pre-existing dungeons we have ingame, keeping them relevant. A nice change of pace and a look at the classics. All this stuff is just... Sitting around, no reason to let it rot when its still good

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    This really bothers me as someone who can easily spend up to 10-15 hours a day playing mythic plus alone. Now in Dragonflight players are being forced to play old dungeons with normal regular mythic plus seasons.
    mate, you are literately spending the type of timeframe that people spend at their job, doing M+s

Today on angry MMO Champion users attempt for validation tremendously backfiring

The fact that I've done them to the point of mild PTSD.
    Maybe don't do them that much then? 10-15 hours a day of anything isn't healthy.

I think it's pretty cool. I'd like it to be 1/4 to 1/2 older dungeons, instead of what it is this season (and also Grimrail is awful), but I think mixing in older dungeons with the current expansion helps keep the new dungeons a little more fresh. Gives you something to look forward to in season 2 as well when we get the other half.

Also I hope they never bring back Tol Dagor specifically. Screw that place.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

I like the concept.

Sadly from the 4 dungeons we got in SL season 4 only 1 is fun (Iron Docks). The others are overtuned or annoying to play in.

But I'm all for more dungeons and especially some we are already somewhat familiar with to ease the learning curve.

Forced? You are certainly not forced.

You can gear up through the raid or pvp. If you are doing mythic+ dungeons it's cause you want to.

Also, yes, i very much like the variety and am happy i am no longer running the same SL starter dungeons anymore.

Though the 2 WoD dungeons use spaces and mechanics not really suited to mythic+.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-10-12 at 12:55 AM.

I have no issue with it, it keeps things fresh. I wish Blizz would add 4 new dungeons every season or something like that, but that isn't happening.

i would've preferred season one be all the new dungeons and s2 and beyond have one dungeon from each expansion. otherwise, it's really just nitpicking that you don't do the same 8-10 dungeons for 2 years straight as opposed to doing a select few for a few months and rotating it.

every single new tier after the first one always felt like a punch to the guts. Having to farm the same dungeons you farmed to death the last season. This change in DF is huge and will make coming back season after season so much better

Too early to tell.

I think trying to freshen up the seasons is a noble attempt. However I am not convinced this is the way to do it. There are some MoP & WoD dungeons I would really dread seeing in M+
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2022-10-05 at 03:00 AM.

It's possible that they are trying to capitalize on these honeymoon phases as they saw classic engagement grew large. So as mythic plus junkies might jump right back in each season just to see what's cooking even knowing that there are 4 old dungeons waiting for them.

But I suspect sub count will drop sooner than later because old content is borderline ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me they feel like new dungeons. As they originally were stupidly trivial and you didnt really need to learn the dungeons. Now tuned up by m+, you actually need to know how the dungeon works, what the bosses do and how to efficiently clear them. You're faced with new challenges that you didnt notice before as they were just mild nuisances you brushed off. Season4 has been very enjoyable to me

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't like MoP dungeons. In general, I was not thrilled with the idea of having a 50/50 of M+ dungeons in each season. It's a new expansion, I want to experience new content. However, as shown in 9.2, this idea can help refresh the M+ meta and bring some interesting items into the mix.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they're properly balanced for M+, I think it's a great idea. They're still doing the same number of new dungeons as usual for the expansion, they're just splitting them up over a couple of seasons and cutting them with older content. So, we don't lose any new content, but they found a good way to make relevant some of the tons of old content that would otherwise be ignored while hopefully delaying burnout/boredom on the new stuff.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

You are not being "forced" to do the old dungeons. You can simply ... not do them. It's not mandatory. Of course, you're leaving the a lot of overall score on the table, but this is far from being "forced."

It is also the best decision that they could have made. I have adored Mythic+ ever since it came out in Legion, but having to re-farm the same dungeons (for the same drops) every season felt really bad; and the same dungeons for two years also feels really bad. Given that it is simply impractical for Blizzard to release 8 new dungeons every season, this will alleviate a lot of the burnout.

I think it's too forced of idea in my personal opinion. Repeating old dungeons at large (which is what mplus requires from you to do anyway) can be extremely demotivating factor to continue playing WoW for me. The fact that I've done them to the point of mild PTSD. It doesn't look to be any optimistic to be honest. Only new things should be mainstream, and old dungeons should be buried away and left to timewalking instead.
    I don't like it for the first season of a new expansion when I want to do new things. I don't mind it for a later season when we are all sick to death of the current expac dungeons.

What's with the random words in bold...?

If you truly spend 10-15 hours per day, then I don't doubt your claims of PTSD. But, if I played as much as you, I'd have "PTSD" with the current dungeons.

On a more serious note: in my opinion, switching around the dungeons involved in a given M+ season every season helps things remain fresh. Otherwise, after the first season things become very "same-y" with the same enemies, same bosses, same rewards, etc, with only minor variations in strategies. With different dungeons every season, things have much more variety. The locales are different, mobs are different, bosses are different, music is different, and rewards are different.

Not to mention that it becomes much more easily for a new player to start M+ after second season, especially for tanks, because at the start of season 2 (for example) everyone, newbies and veterans, would be learning the new dungeons' strategies and routes, as opposed to newbies having to learn everything while the veterans know the best strategies like second nature.