Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    About RNG, time-gating and FOMO

    I know, that there was such thread and it was closed. But I have new evidence. Why RNG in combination with time-gating actually cause FOMO? Because players hate to return to obsoleted content to chase that one thing, they're unlucky with. I have exactly such problem now. There are 3 trinkets per spec in ZM. 2 of them are BIS. And 2 of 3 are guaranteed drops from sand piles. 246 trinket is guaranteed drop. But one of 242 ones - is RNG drop. Problem is - which one of them drops. BIS or not? I was unlucky on 2 characters and didn't get BIS trinket on them. And now I have to chase this stupid trinket, while all other gear is already BIS, so I would want to switch to other characters. How can I get this trinket? There is drop from rare. But WowHead says, that chance is 2%. Lol, yeah. It's guaranteed drop from WQ. But in both cases it's base item level is 236, so it also has to proc to 242. I'm not sure with what chance. I guess, it's very low.

    So, now I've got stuck with this stupid trinket. I have to camp this stupid rare on two character every day. Even if chance is 0.0000001%, it's still extra chance. And I have to do all trinket WQs. I also think about doing it on all my characters at the same time to avoid such situation in a future. And it's just bad. It's unhealthy.

    Players want to avoid such terrible situations. They want to do everything in time, when they still do other content. So, they tend to start doing it early. I.e. instead of doing such things on one character after another, they start to do it on all characters at once. It's hard. It's unhealthy. But players feel, that they miss something, when they skip opportunities to get such time-gated RNG rewards. They have fear of missing time-gated CDs. And by definition - it's FOMO.

    And you know. Game shouldn't encourage unhealthy behavior. We fight against smoking, drinking alcohol and drugs for reason. Because people have different levels of self-control. And it's natural. It's just wrong to say "Problem doesn't exist - just use your self-control". So, I think, that FOMO-encouraging mechanics should be removed from game. It doesn't mean, that time-gating and RNG are bad. Time-gating should exist to protect players from overwhelming themselves. And RNG should exist to make every character unique. But they shouldn't be combined to provide time-RNG-gated rewards, that cause lots of FOMO.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2022-10-07 at 05:56 AM.

    What's wrong with direction of development? Inclusivity is priceless - race change for free!

  2. #2
    Pick up a dictionary because that's not FOMO.

  3. #3
    MMO Champion I know what your thinking....I know you badly BADLY want this bait..

    Don't take it there are many other places you could go..if your looking to Kill a few brain cells may I suggest alcohol or perhaps slamming your head on a wall...both of which would be more productive than responding to OP

  4. #4
    That's not what FOMO is. Because based on what you said, you're not the only one having that problem AND it will last forever.

    By your logic you could argue old tiers are FOMO because you have to put effort into actually doing them when new ones come out.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    MMO Champion I know what your thinking....I know you badly BADLY want this bait..

    Don't take it there are many other places you could go..if your looking to Kill a few brain cells may I suggest alcohol or perhaps slamming your head on a wall...both of which would be more productive than responding to OP
    I'm sorry Mysterymask. I failed you!

  6. #6
    Timegating is the biggest Blizzard sin.

    And no i dont mean raid lockouts.
    I mean stuff like Corruption vendor (never forget) and timegates without any reasoning whatsoever like that.

  7. #7
    I've got sick of this semantical BS. If fear of missing out time/RNG-gated CDs isn't FOMO, then what it is? Give me right name then.

    What's wrong with direction of development? Inclusivity is priceless - race change for free!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I've got sick of this semantical BS.
    Semantics requires words with similar meanings whereas you are just straight up using a word (acronym in this case) incorrectly.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I've got sick of this semantical BS. If fear of missing out time/RNG-gated CDs isn't FOMO, then what it is? Give me right name then.
    The way you play...masochism

  10. #10
    you should seek help op

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I've got sick of this semantical BS. If fear of missing out time/RNG-gated CDs isn't FOMO, then what it is? Give me right name then.
    FOMO is when if you don't get something quick it's gone.

    Actual examples of FOMO in WoW. (Note: I do not think all of these are bad.)
    • AotC Mounts
    • Elite PvP Sets
    • When they removed the Brutosaur.
    • Bundles when they remove things from the Store.
    • Guaranteed Mythic Mounts
    • Keystone Achievements/Titles/Mounts
    • Pre-order only bonuses.

  12. #12
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,117
    lmao, not this shit again...

    Just report it so a mod can close this crap again, thanks.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I've got sick of this semantical BS. If fear of missing out time/RNG-gated CDs isn't FOMO, then what it is? Give me right name then.
    I suggest we call it ONMTDDA short for "Oh no, my trinket didn't drop again"
    you are suffering from ONMTDDA OP, you poor thing

  14. #14
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    36,941
    Quote Originally Posted by fatgunn View Post
    FOMO is when if you don't get something quick it's gone.

    Actual examples of FOMO in WoW. (Note: I do not think all of these are bad.)
    • AotC Mounts
    • Elite PvP Sets
    • When they removed the Brutosaur.
    • Bundles when they remove things from the Store.
    • Guaranteed Mythic Mounts
    • Keystone Achievements/Titles/Mounts
    • Pre-order only bonuses.
    We have attempted to explain this to the OP before.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  15. #15
    Again, may be I misuse term itself, because "FEAR OF MISSING OUT time/RNG-gated CDs" has FOMO acronym in it, but as you refuse to provide correct term - I assume, that I use right one.

    What's wrong with direction of development? Inclusivity is priceless - race change for free!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Again, may be I misuse term itself, because "FEAR OF MISSING OUT time/RNG-gated CDs" has FOMO acronym in it, but as you refuse to provide correct term - I assume, that I use right one.
    Probably because there isnt a term for what you're describing? Its just you obsessing over getting a BiS item. That trinket will always be there. You arent missing out on anything by not getting it now.

  17. #17
    Quit wow already and stop whining about everything that is not to your liking in wow. To me you seem to be the perfect example of a hater that keeps playing.

  18. #18
    Look. I'm not linguist. I have technical education. Semantics - aren't my specialization. Classical FOMO's definition implies "missing interesting thing". Such as missing playing raid with friends. It doesn't stop being FOMO, because this raid doesn't go away and will still be available next week. It's about missing that exact "moment".

    What's wrong with direction of development? Inclusivity is priceless - race change for free!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Look. I'm not linguist. I have technical education. Semantics - aren't my specialization. Classical FOMO's definition implies "missing interesting thing". Such as missing playing raid with friends. It doesn't stop being FOMO, because this raid doesn't go away and will still be available next week. It's about missing that exact "moment".
    ..ok I should heed my own advice and let you wallow in your own madness but

    -This isn't Blizzards FOMO it's YOUR FOMO they did not engineer this with the idea some dude is going to go insane because he didn't get a momentary power increase before an expansion

    -Most people in your situation do not do what you do. They would either find a better trinket from the thousands of other things they can do to get it, shrug because they will get a better one at level 65 in a month, or just leave the game and not look back.

    -Even then whenever you have these issues you come crawling here...yelling to the wind where legitimately EVERYONE tells you that your wrong and it's a you problem....but nope you do the principal skinner thing

    -Which leads me to believe that either
    A. You seem to like torturing yourself
    B. You realize what everyone else does and love to cause forum fights
    C. You are actually just THAT dillusional
    Last edited by Mysterymask; 2022-10-07 at 09:32 AM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ..ok I should heed my own advice and let you wallow in your own madness but

    -This isn't Blizzards FOMO it's YOUR FOMO they did not engineer this with the idea some dude is going to go insane because he didn't get a momentary power increase before an expansion

    -Most people in your situation do not do what you do. They would either find a better trinket from the thousands of other things they can do to get it, shrug because they will get a better one at level 65 in a month, or just leave the game and not look back.

    -Even then whenever you have these issues you come crawling here...yelling to the wind where legitimately EVERYONE tells you that your wrong and it's a you problem....but nope you do the principal skinner thing

    -Which leads me to believe that either
    A. You seem to like torturing yourself
    B. You realize what everyone else does and love to cause forum fights
    C. You are actually just THAT dillusional
    Yeah, I understand, that it's much easier to blame players, than admitting, that MMOs are based on unhealthy manipulative mechanics.

    What's wrong with direction of development? Inclusivity is priceless - race change for free!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •