Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Again, may be I misuse term itself, because "FEAR OF MISSING OUT time/RNG-gated CDs" has FOMO acronym in it, but as you refuse to provide correct term - I assume, that I use right one.
    Fear of missing out is when there is something going on that will soon not be there anymore, and you feel extremely compelled to take part.

Atelophobia is defined as the fear of imperfection/not doing everything you can in a situation/not being good enough, which feels closer to what you are looking for.

If you are taking part in ALL forms of content with multiple alts, that sounds like obsession, since a lot of the things you mention will still be here in the years to come. I suggest not doing literally everything WoW throws at you, because you won't have time to do anything else. Why do you need exactly that trinket? Why do you need another recolor from yet another 1% chance rare mob? I agree it is a stupid system, and I felt like you some time ago, but I decided that my mental sanity is worth more, and whenever Blizzard throws low-chance stuff at me, I just pretend it isn't there.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again, may be I misuse term itself, because "FEAR OF MISSING OUT time/RNG-gated CDs" has FOMO acronym in it, but as you refuse to provide correct term - I assume, that I use right one.
    The term is (Keeping up with the Joneses), you want something immediately because someone else has it. You view the item as a symbol of your social status or personal skill.

At this point its obvious that OP is either trolling or nuts. Because apparently to him low drop rates = manipulative mechanics. Dude is acting like if he doesnt have full BiS on every character he plays, that this is somehow a detriment to his entire existence. And that by Blizzard not giving a way to guarantee his acquisition of these trinkets, that they are at fault for him feeling in some way unfulfilled. This is my take away from all this.

There are so many tactics Blizz employs, you don't even need evidence. Problem is, at some point you get fed up with them and quit. Not sure what they think they gain. So ok they hold onto players for 2 months, but then lose them, I wonder if that really gets them more money.

I admit I have some fear of missing out. Like the seasonal mount. Like the fated raid mount. But like I gave up with pvp mounts, I'll give these up too in time. I am bitter enough as it is that it feels more like a job I am relieved to be done with than an achievement. Besides, there are so so many mounts, pets, toys and what have you that missing out really does not seem like a big deal anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Fear of missing out is when there is something going on that will soon not be there anymore, and you feel extremely compelled to take part.

Atelophobia is defined as the fear of imperfection/not doing everything you can in a situation/not being good enough, which feels closer to what you are looking for.

If you are taking part in ALL forms of content with multiple alts, that sounds like obsession, since a lot of the things you mention will still be here in the years to come. I suggest not doing literally everything WoW throws at you, because you won't have time to do anything else. Why do you need exactly that trinket? Why do you need another recolor from yet another 1% chance rare mob? I agree it is a stupid system, and I felt like you some time ago, but I decided that my mental sanity is worth more, and whenever Blizzard throws low-chance stuff at me, I just pretend it isn't there.
    Because, let's just face it, players like RPG games, because they're about filling bars. So, players just feel bad, when bar is filled 999/1000 and game just tries to squeeze too much from this last 0.1%, but can't abandon it, because too much effort is already invested into it.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Yeah, I understand, that it's much easier to blame players, than admitting, that MMOs are based on unhealthy manipulative mechanics.
    Pretty sure everyone knows that. What they are disagreeing with is what you choose as proof.

One good example of it is making a bundle of items on the shop and saying that it will be removed from the shop. Buy it now or never. They are digital goods, they have no reason to be removed, it is not like they are limited stock like in real life. This is fear of missing out, this is a clear manipulative action.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varanus View Post
    At this point its obvious that OP is either trolling or nuts. Because apparently to him low drop rates = manipulative mechanics. Dude is acting like if he doesnt have full BiS on every character he plays, that this is somehow a detriment to his entire existence. And that by Blizzard not giving a way to guarantee his acquisition of these trinkets, that they are at fault for him feeling in some way unfulfilled. This is my take away from all this.
    You exaggerated a bit. Fear of missing out does not need to be a detriment to one's existance to be valid. It's usually quite the opposite, some vanity item you don't need.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2022-10-07 at 11:35 AM.

Another wowisdead thread spouting nonesense in something they know nothing about.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got sick of this semantical BS. If fear of missing out time/RNG-gated CDs isn't FOMO, then what it is? Give me right name then.
    FOMO is literally based on your class/spec not performing well enough to be able to do high end content such as mythic raids/high m+ or even high end pvp. It literally had nothing to do with noy getting a trinket in a zone that you can play with 2 braincells and a broken arm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Don't reopen previously closed threads. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead