Poll: Favorite rogue spec?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Your Favorite Rogue spec

With most classes, it is easy to tell which is the most popular spec, however with rogues it had to determine, Maybe because both assassination and subtlety bot look visually the same.

So what flavor of rogue do you prefer?

from long ago i played combat/outlaw to level. then Assassination and i think the spec iconic spec is subtlety.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Sub > assassin > combat >= outlaw. All else equal, that has always been my order of preference, though sometimes balance demands otherwise.

The only one of the "new" specs (Legion onwards) that I like is subtlety. I hate the pirate theme of outlaw and how it has turned into a whack-a-mole proc spec like fury. The classic combat spec felt way more iconic and "roguey". I hated Legion sub but they've since refined it and this expansion it flows the best of the 3 and they've made dance feel impactful again like it did in cata/mop. Assass has always been a bit of a boring spec tbh but I loved it in vanilla.

Burst damage is the most important for picking up a favourite specialization. 2nd important factor is , you want specialization to do elemental damage. 3th important factor is , specialization's capability to do more damage in overall. These are the factors behind picking up a specialization for me. Assassination > Subtlety > Outlaw .

I have now played all three Rogue specs and can say they are all fun to play, the ability to switch targets as Sub, melt players with bleed and nature damage as Assa or become a pistol shooting Outlaw Rogue.

My break down is that Sub/Assa are player vs. player specs and Outlaw is best for player vs. environment. These are of course the common spec breakdowns with the meta at the time very dependent on what is best.

I actually thought Subtlety was going to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not the best with rogues, suck at sneaky sneaky lol...but I definitely have always enjoyed assassination over the other two

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanian View Post
    I actually thought Subtlety was going to win.
    It's a little ironic that most people like assassination, even though it's the least viable spec currently. And with the 10.1 tier, it makes even less sense. But i like the playstyle of assassination so much.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Assassination has always been majorly boring.

Subtlety is at least slightly interesting... thematically.

Honestly, scrap the whole class at this point.

Outlaw is fucking amazing, especially if you grab the Sunken pirate rogue transmog from the Nazjatar patch of BFA. It gives you real "Crewmate of Davy Jones" vibes, which is just delightful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by aimercj View Post
    The only one of the "new" specs (Legion onwards) that I like is subtlety. I hate the pirate theme of outlaw and how it has turned into a whack-a-mole proc spec like fury. The classic combat spec felt way more iconic and "roguey". I hated Legion sub but they've since refined it and this expansion it flows the best of the 3 and they've made dance feel impactful again like it did in cata/mop. Assass has always been a bit of a boring spec tbh but I loved it in vanilla.
    I quite agree, the pirate theme is just so incredibly shoehorned and limiting. Sure back when it was called Combat it lacked personality and identity, but this is just way overboard - pun intended. They could easily have made it into a bruiser, swashbuckler or even fencer without going full Jolly Roger - oh well!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    It's a little ironic that most people like assassination, even though it's the least viable spec currently. And with the 10.1 tier, it makes even less sense. But i like the playstyle of assassination so much.
    Which just proves that not everyone is a FOTM re-roller

subtlety is really buggy.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

For me it kinda depends on what era it is. During vanilla it was the good old combat swords and the Hemo build for pvp.
    In TBC I really enjoyed assassination with Mutilate, Combat Swords for 2s (just for fun at low rating) and some sort of Sub hemo build for pvp (long time since then).
    Wotlk was mostly Combat for the awesome Killing Spree.
    Cata and onwards im not totally sure, I had two rogues (horde and alliance) so usually went assassination on one and combat on the other.

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

Quote Originally Posted by Perudo View Post
    For me it kinda depends on what era it is. During vanilla it was the good old combat swords and the Hemo build for pvp.
    In TBC I really enjoyed assassination with Mutilate, Combat Swords for 2s (just for fun at low rating) and some sort of Sub hemo build for pvp (long time since then).
    Wotlk was mostly Combat for the awesome Killing Spree.
    Cata and onwards im not totally sure, I had two rogues (horde and alliance) so usually went assassination on one and combat on the other.
    yeah and in legion I know I was assassination at first and then switched to sub... the thing was, it was never as confusing and keybind-bloated as it is now. I respec to sub and I am absolutely dumbfounded on what to push. I have no idea. there are so many buttons and so many conditional buttons, and having abilities set up correctly for when you're in shadowdance, and all that... it just goes over my head right now.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I enjoyed subtley before it was cool, back when it was still considered to be a pvp spec by most and only a few crazy people like myself tried to do raids with it, wich was a lot of fun even if i usually ended up playing assassination or combat because numbers are numbers. But back then it was more clear what each spec was good at: dots, speed or burst. In my opinion starting with legion they kept making that a lot more convoluted up to the point that now all three specs are a mess of bloated and outdated bug-ridden mechanics that could benefit from a serious rework.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

Thematically I tend to prefer Assassination, but it's rarely very good in M+, so now I prefer Sub because I like daggers for a rogue. However, Outlaw is really fun and that's what I do my keys as right now, so...?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Outlaw has the best fantasy, not close.

Assassination has a discernible fantasy, it's just that "Daggers and Poison" isn't... a great fantasy. It kind of lacks the distinct character of the pirate-themed Outlaw, because it's just a mechanical fantasy and doesn't really score much on flavor.

IDK wtf Subtlety is supposed to be. Shadow damage? Why? How? What's going on there?

In terms of playstyle, Outlaw USED to be my favorite, but it's really become a rather hectic piano-type spec. And Subtlety was kind of neutered in its cooldown-burst dynamic and now has such high uptimes on everything that it's just not even a cooldown anymore it's just rotation. That kind of sucks. Assassination is slow and boring, but I GUESS it's the least bad of the bunch?

I don't like playing any of them, really. I wish we could have some of the prior incarnations of Outlaw back, before it was such mega spam. It was more fun just worrying about BF and when to reroll dice and nothing else.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2023-05-19 at 04:28 AM.

Subtlety for sure. It's amazing in PvP