Thread: New Build Help

New Build Help

Hi,

I'm looking to build a new setup, my current one is getting old now (1080Ti & i7-4820k) and doesn't really have any parts worth moving over.

Budget: £1,200 - £1,400.
    Resolution: I currently play at 1080p but will be looking to purchase a 1440p monitor too, maybe within this budget. Depends on what FPS I can pull with this setup.
    System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc): Gaming only.
    If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired?: I mostly play WoW, COD, OW2. I don't play single player games so RT & DLSS may not be as important.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Nope.
    Do you plan to overclock?: Perhaps? I've never done it before so I'm open to it.
    Preferred Stores / Sites: OverClockers UK, Amazon
    Parts that can be reused: Old SSD's
    Do you need an OS?: No

What I'm thinking of is something like https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WQRXpH.

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case
    CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (I'm not sure how useful an iGPU is?)
    Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M BAZOOKA DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
    GPU: GeForce RTX 3070
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3200hz
    PSU: Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
    Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2

I can't decide what GPU to get. The 3070 & 6800XT are similar in price and also bench very similarly. Like I mentioned previously, I don't really play any single player games so I'm not sure the RT & DLSS will be useful in FPS games. Is the difference in performance between the 3070/6800XT that much higher than the 3060Ti/6700XT? The price is another £150+ and if the performance isn't that much different then I'm not sure if it's worth?

What's the difference in performance between different models of each GPU? Is a Zotic 3070 much different to an MSI version? If so, how much and is it worth the increase in price?

Also, is the pairing of the 12400f & B660 motherboard any better than a 5600x/motherboard pairing?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfnow View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to build a new setup, my current one is getting old now (1080Ti & i7-4820k) and doesn't really have any parts worth moving over.

Budget: £1,200 - £1,400.
    Resolution: I currently play at 1080p but will be looking to purchase a 1440p monitor too, maybe within this budget. Depends on what FPS I can pull with this setup.
    System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc): Gaming only.
    If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired?: I mostly play WoW, COD, OW2. I don't play single player games so RT & DLSS may not be as important.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Nope.
    Do you plan to overclock?: Perhaps? I've never done it before so I'm open to it.
    Preferred Stores / Sites: OverClockers UK, Amazon
    Parts that can be reused: Old SSD's
    Do you need an OS?: No

What I'm thinking of is something like https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WQRXpH.

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case
    CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (I'm not sure how useful an iGPU is?)
    Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT
    Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M BAZOOKA DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
    GPU: GeForce RTX 3070
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3200hz
    PSU: Phanteks AMP 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
    Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2

I can't decide what GPU to get. The 3070 & 6800XT are similar in price and also bench very similarly. Like I mentioned previously, I don't really play any single player games so I'm not sure the RT & DLSS will be useful in FPS games. Is the difference in performance between the 3070/6800XT that much higher than the 3060Ti/6700XT? The price is another £150+ and if the performance isn't that much different then I'm not sure if it's worth?

What's the difference in performance between different models of each GPU? Is a Zotic 3070 much different to an MSI version? If so, how much and is it worth the increase in price?

Also, is the pairing of the 12400f & B660 motherboard any better than a 5600x/motherboard pairing?

Thanks in advance!
    There is nothing inherently wrong with the build. There are some parts you could go cheaper on (no point in overspending on the MoBo with a 12400) but its not a horribly mismatched system or anything. I do think you can do better though:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/zzqMKp

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor (£233.99 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT 76.16 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-K D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£119.49 @ Box Limited)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£50.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.99 @ Technextday)
    Video Card: Zotac GAMING Twin Edge GeForce RTX 3070 LHR 8 GB Video Card (£540.49 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case (£72.49 @ Box Limited)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£71.85 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £1219.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-10 09:44 GMT+0000
    Yes, its a locked motherboard and an unlocked CPU. Thats intended. The reason to go with the 12600KF is because it has MUCH faster base and boost clocks than the 12400F, so even though you cant overclock it, its still a fair bit faster. it also has 4 E cores which are great at doing background tasks (browsing, VOIP, etc).

The motherboard is cheaper than your original choice but still quite solid. The ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 is also a solid choice.

The SSD i swapped to a “slower” PCIe 3.0 drive. PCIe 4.0 looks great on spec sheets but it doesnt have any real world performance benefits for gaming (even with Direct Storage), and the 4.0 drive you had didnt have a DRAM cache (which can cause the drive to slow down as it gets more full), and the Evo 970 does.

Swapped to a marginally cheaper 3070. Changed the PSU out for a slightly cheaper SeaSonic unit. Better warranty.

The cooler you chose should be fine since youre not overclocking (and you could have left it out of your original build - the 12400F does fine on the included cooler). Another choice might be the Cryorig M9 or the BeQuiet! Pure Rock 2. Both might be a little quieter but the cooling in all cases will be fine.

The 5600X is a viable alternative to the 12400/F (they perform within margin of error of each other), but the 12600K pulls ahead (especially since it has 4 more cores). The 5700X is also a good choice, and around the same price as the 12600K, but the 12600K will still perform better in games due to better IPC and much higher clocks. In either case, though, performance will still be “very good”.

If you dont mind going over budget, the 13600K will fit in that board (though it may require a BIOS/EFI update; often a local shop will do that for you for cheap, and sometimes major distributors will update the boards). It is faster than the 12600K, and has four additional E-cores (for a total of 6 P-cores (w/Hyperthreading) and 8 E-cores for a total of 14 cores and 20 threads). I wouldnt say its necessary, but itll have a bit more longevity due to the extra cores. The 12600K or the 5700X will be absolutely fine. Id say the 7600X would also be good, but since it requires a much more expensive platform… not so much.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2022-11-10 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfnow View Post

Thanks in advance!
    I agree with Kagthul. The 5600X would save you a bit, but the performance uplift going to the 12600k or 13600k is worth that extra bit of money. If you preferred AMD the 5800X3D is similarly priced to the 13600k, but the 13600k is the better chip.

I'd say between the 3070 (£570 is the lowest on PCP) and the 6700xt(£403) are similar in performance, but the 6800xt and 3070 are similar in price. So if 3070 level performance is what you want the 6700xt is the better value. If you want to spend the £600 on a card the 6800xt is the better card.

When it comes to AIB partner cards like MSI and others like Gigabyte, EVGA, ASUS, etc. the biggest difference is the cooling fixture and the overclock they put on the card. If you're looking at multiple cards and they have similar clock speeds, they should have similar performance.

Waste of money, 1080ti is barely behind 3070 not counting DLSS.
    You'd be better off getting a new CPU cause the 4870k is already bottlenecking the 1080ti.

Here's a video comparison of the 1080ti vs 3070 - youtube - AEdupiOs6rI (can't post links yet)

If I were you I'd at the very least wait for AMDs new gpus to release and push down current prices even further.

£1400 is a lot for such a minor upgrade.

6750xt red devil cooler on overclockers for £450 atm its about on par with the 3070 you're looking at for less money but depends if the game is more nvidia or amd optimised

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I'd say between the 3070 (£570 is the lowest on PCP)
    Note: include the LHR variant when you're searching for GPU prices. While its not hundreds, the LHR version is cheaper (30 Pounds or so), and this is often the case when LHR variants are available (and sometiimes the LHR variants will be in stock and the non-LHR variants will not be).

For my money, the extra features for the 3070 make it a better buy than the 6700XT (which it outperforms by about 15%) - RT you can actually use, and DLSS vs FSR, and while you're still at 1080p, you can use some of that extra horsepower on DLDSR. The 6800XT makes a more compelling argument as it is about 10-12% faster (in rasterization) than the 3070. So if they are the same price or near enough, thats a thing to consider. (Though the 6800XT is ~80 Pounds more expensive than the 3070).

I think i'd still go with the 3070. Especially with a future transition to 1440p, DLSS will help keep those frames up more than FSR will. Unless you're a SUPER PRO FPS player, you wont notice the difference in any latency introduced by DLSS. You'd have to be one of those guys that actually has the reflexes to benefit from 300+ fps and low frametimes, which the vast majority of us are not.