Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    We could just have both. Give all mounts a "soar" button to click that puts them into dragonflying mode.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are People really thinking blizz is going to make evergreen content? Hilarious, the closest thing wow has to evergreen is mount/transmog collection and pet battles. You could argue that timewalking event might be evergreen but even that is tied to gear progression. Wow's model doesn't really fit woth evergreen content.

If they really want evergreen, they should look at gw2, which is arguably the game with most evergreen content out there.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Too early to judge. Normal flying is good, exactly because it allows avoiding bad ground content design. In order to fully replace it, content design should be fully fixed too. And it's impossible. Because, I guess, Blizzard don't even have common content design guidelines, like "Never do this, never do that", so they constantly make mistakes here and there.
    Absolutely nonsense, and full of your not-so hidden disdain for Blizzard and their game you continue to choose to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    I think I'd consider that if regular flying wasn't just /noclip with no mechanics or anything to make engaging gameplay that contributes nothing but degenerative behavior.

Seriously, explain to me how legacy flying isn't degenerative game design.
    It is not degenertive gameplay. It is what gets you from point A to B. As I said, if you like Dragonridgin, you use that Leave regluar flying for those who want that. Stop asking for removal of things you don't like. THere is ZERO aarguments for not keeping both.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    This is why I like Dragonriding personally! It has a cooldown. If normal flying was replaced with dragonriding, youd be able to get to where you need to go at an awesome speed, then leave when youre done with it, but none of the current thing where you jist wait from a safe distance, gank slmebody, then nope out of there as soon as theres an opening.

I fucking love dragonriding, man. Would 100% prefer it and jist delete the old system.

- - - Updated - - -

Not faster than Dragonriding, lol.
    Or how about just having both? YOU can use Dragonriding and those that want regular flying can have that. Why does it have to be either or? WHy does it have to be catered solely to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Why not just have both for people who like one or the other? Why does one need to be removed?
    Because the pro-dragonrriding crew can't function unless everyone else is forced to since other people flying normally somehow impacts their ability to play.

Mostly agreed. It can be expanded upon to have different mount types offer different type of movements, not unlike Guild Wars 2 mount system. AFK flight style can be kept for later patches or such for people who really want it, but this new style makes travel fun again which is a much better design.

Dragonflying is going to be a gimmick that will only last three months tops based on what I have seen in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    It is not degenertive gameplay.
    If a class is too strong and outperforms other classes it's widely considered broken, and expectations are that it will be dialed back and balanced. That same thing applies to traversal systems. The legacy flying system has been so dominant that Blizzard had to figure out methods to disable it at the launch of new content, not wholly to invalidate its level design. That could not be a better representation of a broken mechanic.

Dragonflying is a massive step in the right direction regarding addressing flying as a mechanic in the game and dialing it back, too, to not interfere with other aspects of the game. And if they continue to pursue alternate flying methods for different kinds of mounts, that would only continue to elevate that aspect of the game, turning it into something far more interesting.

So yes, legacy flying does contribute to degenerative gameplay; you're just choosing to ignore it for convenience because you're okay with abusing a broken and arguably dated mechanic.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just give people options, first enable it on older continents (even if they would have to slow it down for technical reasons, at least something equal to Soar), then in next expac add it on mounts that make sense (it wouldn't for example on Mimiron's Head).

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    I love the idea of mount classes, it adds so much to collecting.

It would be nice to see it extended to ground mounts too, like heavy ground mounts (kodo, Ellen) stomp when dismounted which stuns nearby enemies and grants a shield, flying mounts all get slow fall or glide, agile mounts like raptors or mechanostriders can jump real high, horses run faster on roads, predators fight for you briefly after dismounting, dragons take a deep breath and do am aoe before flying away etc etc.

Make it so you can only take 3 mounts with you at a time or something so you have to make a choice at the stables
    I like this idea. There should be some bonuses for gatherers too. Bonus to mining yields when mounting a Gronn. Temporary buffs for ground mouths that cancel out when flying. Pathfinder had been a trainwreck; it's time blizzard starts fixing the mistake of punishing players by introducing more interesting design into the mount system; allow for more choice and customization.

The whole flying debate is just beyond ridiculous, seriously beyond ridiculous.

Blizz should have just left flying alone.

Yeah people used it to avoid riding through the country side and to get to quests quickly. So what... who cares.

The true failure of Blizz, and this is what kills me about this company, is instead of trying to understand WHY people would rather fly, instead of making non flight more viable, more fun and more interesting, Blizz just takes the nerf hammer to flying, then Blizz digs in their heels despite massive player disapproval.

I haven't tried dragon flying, heck I'm not even subbed nor have I pre-ordered, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll like dragon flying, I'll give it a shot and see then.
    Last edited by pahbi; 2022-11-19 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    A pipe dream.

They can't even do heritage armors consistently. This is an order of magnitudes more difficult.
    You are right unfortunately.

It's really stupid that Blizzard as a multi-billion dollar company just often isn't able to deliver on things that are absolutely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    It is not degenertive gameplay. It is what gets you from point A to B. As I said, if you like Dragonridgin, you use that Leave regluar flying for those who want that. Stop asking for removal of things you don't like. THere is ZERO aarguments for not keeping both.

- - - Updated - - -

Or how about just having both? YOU can use Dragonriding and those that want regular flying can have that. Why does it have to be either or? WHy does it have to be catered solely to you?

- - - Updated - - -
    Because it's **not** just about getting from point A to point B. Yiu have flightpaths for that, and portals, and DRAGONRIDING. If you want to get from one hub to the next, deagonriding is literally superior. The only thing an infinite hover allows is exploitation in WPVP.

Would you want to allow flying in Battlegrounds next? Should M+ be allowed to skip trash with flying? Like damn

let's wait until the mechanic is actually even playable outside of the test realms before we rush to any judgements shall we? feedback from the test realms has been, as always, very mixed with some saying it's the greatest thing since wrapped bread (which was the greatest thing before sliced bread) and some saying it's the worst thing ever and is sure to single handedly make every single person in the world unanimously decide that World of Warcraft is in fact deader than Tutankhamun and can we have the next question please?

I think people are over invested... I don care about the open world haven't since... westfall in vanilla. I play wow as instanced lobby game. New flying is mildly more tedious but will have my mythic plus teleports week 2 so who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    I think people are over invested... I don care about the open world haven't since... westfall in vanilla. I play wow as instanced lobby game. New flying is mildly more tedious but will have my mythic plus teleports week 2 so who cares?
    Personally, I don't care about mythic+ and haven't since... the launch of legion. I play wow as an MMORPG. The new flying systems are a blast and miles more interesting. Exploring the world won't put me to sleep anymore.

https://imgur.com/a/SGi3Y6D

This is how it feels on live now after finally trying the Soar ability, even as just a simplified version it immediately made me hate coming back to normal flying. I can not wait until Dragonflight comes out just so I can spend time flying around, it's so refreshing. I swear, this better become evergreen and the start of 'mount classes' in Warcraft just like how they have a variety of 'mount classes' in Guild Wars 2.

I really hope that by the end of this expansion, all of the Dragon, Pterrordax, Gryphons, Wyrms, and Protos have their animations retargeted so they can be integrated into the new flight system. Then over the next few expansions, they should slowly come up with other 'mount classes' for mounts that don't fit in those previously mentioned classes. I'd love to see all sorts of new methods of traveling.

Dragonflying is probably the single most refreshing updated mechanic WoW has received since launch and I hope it does to travel what Mythic+ did for dungeons.
    No it shouldn't both should be usable eventually. However standard flight should not be removed.

5+ Year Old Account
    It will, don't worry

https://imgur.com/a/SGi3Y6D

This is how it feels on live now after finally trying the Soar ability, even as just a simplified version it immediately made me hate coming back to normal flying. I can not wait until Dragonflight comes out just so I can spend time flying around, it's so refreshing. I swear, this better become evergreen and the start of 'mount classes' in Warcraft just like how they have a variety of 'mount classes' in Guild Wars 2.

I really hope that by the end of this expansion, all of the Dragon, Pterrordax, Gryphons, Wyrms, and Protos have their animations retargeted so they can be integrated into the new flight system. Then over the next few expansions, they should slowly come up with other 'mount classes' for mounts that don't fit in those previously mentioned classes. I'd love to see all sorts of new methods of traveling.

Dragonflying is probably the single most refreshing updated mechanic WoW has received since launch and I hope it does to travel what Mythic+ did for dungeons.
    I sorta agree, but i am opposed to removing old flying.
    It's already almost three times as fast, so it's pretty much already superior enough to make normal flying obsolete without removing it.
    Stuff like afk long distance flights are still desirable, even if they're slower.

Personally i hope they do it as follows from now on:
    - DF available from the start, progressing as you learn to master the skies in this new environment
    - Normal flying becomes available a la pathfinder but less grindy after X time
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

If a class is too strong and outperforms other classes it's widely considered broken, and expectations are that it will be dialed back and balanced. That same thing applies to traversal systems. The legacy flying system has been so dominant that Blizzard had to figure out methods to disable it at the launch of new content, not wholly to invalidate its level design. That could not be a better representation of a broken mechanic.

Dragonflying is a massive step in the right direction regarding addressing flying as a mechanic in the game and dialing it back, too, to not interfere with other aspects of the game. And if they continue to pursue alternate flying methods for different kinds of mounts, that would only continue to elevate that aspect of the game, turning it into something far more interesting.

So yes, legacy flying does contribute to degenerative gameplay; you're just choosing to ignore it for convenience because you're okay with abusing a broken and arguably dated mechanic.
    This is utterly wrong It does not lead to degenerative gameplay no matter what BS you make up. IT gets me from point A to b to do actual content Flying isn't actually content, so it is not remotely comprable to classes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Because it's **not** just about getting from point A to point B. Yiu have flightpaths for that, and portals, and DRAGONRIDING. If you want to get from one hub to the next, deagonriding is literally superior. The only thing an infinite hover allows is exploitation in WPVP.

Would you want to allow flying in Battlegrounds next? Should M+ be allowed to skip trash with flying? Like damn
    YEs it is. Flight paths only take you to specific points. Portals take you to even less. Flyn allows you to go from ANY point A to ANY point B without hacing to change methods of travel. And no Dragonriding is not superior because it is severly limited. Flying is not.

Your last statement is an irrelevant strawman that I won't take seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    They should remove flying at all. Yeah its super fast and comfortable, but its bad for immersion.
    Nah they need to remove being able to run forever, that's immersion-breaking, should have to /walk and only short sprints and no swimming with your gear on either, and only 30 seconds of holding your breath (spells/potions as exceptions) see how silly that is. Flying is fine, dragonflying is just a gimmick for the expansion. Does flying need a bit of tweaking sure, but DF ain't it IMO.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22