Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    Yeah like half the first page of topics in General Discussion on the WoW forums is people arguing about dragon flying. /popcorn I guess.
    It is early on.

I mean we will know player sentiment as the months drag on but right now it is a polarizing topic.

Quote Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
    With Dragonriding can you hover/hold station? If no then normal flying is 100% better.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, TBC lock with AoE drain life was superb
    No, that busted-ass mechanic is finally gone. Thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerbrain View Post
    Also to some replies in this thread; adding things does not remove legacy flight? Why are some people here so negative?
    You do know that the premise of this thread is precisely that, right? The OP wants the original flight mechanic to be removed and completely replaced by dragonriding.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of dragonriding. It's gimmicky and I find it annoying. I have no interest in a pseudo Super Nintendo flight sim, and I can't wait for the option of regular flying to be restored. If you enjoy it, good for you. Off you flap.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    I personally believe that dragonriding should be the start-of-expac flight option for every expansion going forward. I don't believe we should be grounded any more. TBC and WotLK proved that having flight considered in zone design is both formative and important for flight to be in a healthy spot. The sad truth is that hovering and pressing numlock to afk fly to the location you want is simply Not Fun and Not Gameplay. Sure, it's convenient - but that's it. There is no fun involved. If you think that it is, you're simply taking into account the ease of use and ability to alt-tab and do whatever else you want while you're slowly flying to your destination.

Yes. It's convenient. That's why Blizzard has said that they are making certain to have traditional flying still be in the game after a patch cycle (early beta interview). Internally, those mounts are now referred to as 'floating mounts' rather than flying mounts, because that's what it is. It's not flying, it's floating - like you're controlling a glacially slow UFO. It has never been interactive because it's a mechanic from 2006.

Objectively speaking, the action of pressing W to move forward in the air is not interactive. It is not fun. It is not gameplay. I want traversal to be fun and interactive, and I want it to be fast. Dragonriding hits every one of those notes for me and, considering that they have said it will be an evergreen system, I'm looking forward to it being my only method of travel from now on - unless I need to AFK-fly to get a drink. I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

Dragonflying is annoying and lame. Simple as.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I don't want old flying to be completely replaced by Dragonriding. It's much more convenient for very short trips/questing. I don't like having to launch into the air and aim the arc down in order to efficiently travel 150 yards when I'm so used to just tapping space and auto flying forward for a couple seconds. Same with any time you want to just go straight up (usually when gathering), now you have to launch and fly around in circles while keeping momentum moving up instead of just holding space for a second.

I also really hate having to manually dismount in order to use abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    Dragonflying should become evergreen, Legacy flying should be slowly replaced.
    No.. too many people don't like it. The only real option I see being pheasable is to allow both versions and let the player choose which to use.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Again. Dragonriding aims at becoming replacement for flightpaths. Because they're actually terrible design, that takes players out of the world. You can't jump out of flightpath at any moment, even if you see something interesting, like rare or treasure.

But dragonriding ISN'T replacement for ordinal flying.

What casuals don't like:
    1) When content is overtuned
    2) When they can't avoid it
    3) Artificial obstacles, like maze-like ways from quest hub to quest spot. Just to waste time. You know. This isn't even logical. When you travel from point A to point B IRL - you pick the shortest route possible not to waste time. So why do this NPCs always build their roads the weirdest way possible?
    4) When content isn't replayable due to #1, #2 and #3

Like may be it's ok to kill overtuned mob 1 vs 1, when player has enough room and time to do it. But it's not ok, when:
    1) There are packs of mobs, that are impossible to deal with
    2) Content is too claustrophobic to avoid them
    3) Respawn rate is too high, so mobs respawn quicker, than player kills them

Blizzard call it "challenge" and expect players to "overcome" it. And even more. They do everything to force player to do it and to take all ways to avoid obstacles away from player. But how player can do it? M? Find group? Go to dungeon and get overgear? Buy P2W token and pay for M+ boost? Player doesn't have any "gameplay" tools to avoid such obstacles. And game should be about "playing", i.e. finding "gameplay" solutions of problems. Not about trying to find them "outside" of game.
    man, reading some of your posts, your design ideas are butts, your complaints are weird and you sure do complain a lot. no matter what blizzard tries to do, will never satisfy YOU. are you just complaining for the sake of it? don't give me this oh I care, blah blah speech. your enjoyment of this game died long ago and you wish it was still giving you that rush it did. that's a sign of needing to move on to something else. let wow go. let the people who are enjoying themselves enjoy it without your toxic input.

as for the OP, possibly. at the very least I'd expect them to do something with old flying. it needs just as much love as the professions got this time around. we know blizzard likes to test new things out (here and there) in an expansion to see the reaction, etc before making it stay. so maybe in this case it is dragonriding. i am looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Subrias View Post
    No.. too many people don't like it. The only real option I see being pheasable is to allow both versions and let the player choose which to use.
    where are you getting the numbers at? you realize not everyone that plays wow posts right? for all you know, the unspoken majority enjoy it. you just don't know, so that kind of statement is silly.

"My memory... since when? If everything is a dream, don't wake me." -Cloud Strife, Final Fantasy VII

Quote Originally Posted by TbouncerT View Post
    where are you getting the numbers at? you realize not everyone that plays wow posts right? for all you know, the unspoken majority enjoy it. you just don't know, so that kind of statement is silly.
    Well seeing as I didn't post any numbers at all I'm not sure what you want me to reference. I have seen multiple posts and arguments on every wow platform I visit that is just people arguing about it. I know I have talked to about 20 people personally (in my guild and friends list) who dont like it. I am one of them. There's only about 10 people I know who have said they absolutely love it. The rest are pretty indifferent. That is all irrelevant though. The major issue is it is apparently causing issues with people who have motion sickness and a few other medical ailments. The reason I don't like it mainly has to do with how terrible the tutorial was.. once I learned that you have to actively look up when you use to the skies it got a lot more manageable, but I still dislike it. It is tedious to me. It should be optional is all I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of dragonriding. It's gimmicky and I find it annoying. I have no interest in a pseudo Super Nintendo flight sim, and I can't wait for the option of regular flying to be restored. If you enjoy it, good for you. Off you flap.
    +1

draongliding sucks - i want to play rpg not arcade games. luckily world content offer no decent rewards so you have to suffer only up to max level and then in nomads m+ . for me it was waste of resources - would rather have more dungeons - aka actual content then this garbage

give us real flying back . we want to fly in dragon-flight expansion themed around flying.

and for anyone who is saying how great it is - i wish you 1 thing - in every single nomad m+ you will be doing i wish you 1 person who has problems with it and destroys your timer . ye i know im mean about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    nomad m+
    I know it's off topic, but what the hell is that? A pug m+? Never heard anyone call it this before lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yeah, TBC lock with AoE drain life was superb
    Yeah, so superb it was not in TBC and was in Mop.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

+1

draongliding sucks - i want to play rpg not arcade games. luckily world content offer no decent rewards so you have to suffer only up to max level and then in nomads m+ . for me it was waste of resources - would rather have more dungeons - aka actual content then this garbage

give us real flying back . we want to fly in dragon-flight expansion themed around flying.

and for anyone who is saying how great it is - i wish you 1 thing - in every single nomad m+ you will be doing i wish you 1 person who has problems with it and destroys your timer . ye i know im mean about it.
    True.

It is early though but I remember people defending garrisons the first month. Three months later haha....

I think we are in a honeymoon phase of this system. I think we will see flaws much more in a few months. I don't think it's a good idea to invest in furthering this into old content right now.

I see a few obvious flaws with it:

1. Flying AFK over a point of interest (for instance a World Boss) can't be done. Already really frustrating to me. Could probably be fixed with a new ability to stop in the air ability.
    2. You can't just point to your location and afk while getting a drink.
    3. Going to a high point requires you to AFK waiting for orbs to regenerate.

It's certainly fun for now, but I think it's something that will age kinda like Artifact Power. Fun at first, but we will see the flaws much more in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by TbouncerT View Post
    man, reading some of your posts, your design ideas are butts, your complaints are weird and you sure do complain a lot. no matter what blizzard tries to do, will never satisfy YOU. are you just complaining for the sake of it? don't give me this oh I care, blah blah speech. your enjoyment of this game died long ago and you wish it was still giving you that rush it did. that's a sign of needing to move on to something else. let wow go. let the people who are enjoying themselves enjoy it without your toxic input.

as for the OP, possibly. at the very least I'd expect them to do something with old flying. it needs just as much love as the professions got this time around. we know blizzard likes to test new things out (here and there) in an expansion to see the reaction, etc before making it stay. so maybe in this case it is dragonriding. i am looking forward to seeing what the future holds.
    But it's real truth. Casual players don't like challenging game. As simple, as that. They have different motivations to play it. And it was real reason, why attempts to remove flying destroyed game for half of it's playerbase.

Yeah, dragonriding is fun while leveling for the first time. But how about day by day routine? Not many players reached 70lvl now. Not many players started to do WQs and other engame content. Too early to judge now.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

+1

How do you have problems with dragonriding? I can't even imagine it, how? You'd need to have trouble moving, and if WASD is a huge challenge for you, I don't think you are doing any m+

no thx normal flying is much better, please scrap this boring df thing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is WoW, OP, not Guild Wars. I like dragonriding, but there's zero chance I want it to replace regular flying. And seriously, is evergreen a new thing?
    I'm a crazy taco.

Normal flying should always remain in the game. Getting from A to B on your own terms can never be taken away from players. It's a finite recource, and being striped away of player agency is zero fun. At least from my own perspective.

This is why I haven't touched a single outdoor objective with hope that normal flying will make it's way at some later date. I used to sub back to pathfinder patches anyway. So really no issues of waiting incase they decide to put it back in. Otherwise it's a absolutely minimal outdoor maintenance in new zones for me.
    Last edited by neik; 2022-12-02 at 01:57 AM.