Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    So far, I don't really like dragonflight.

I'd rather just have regular flying back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    Why should I have the amount of mounts I can use be restricted is my complaint. You wanted 3 mounts and rest stabled for some bizarre reason? So I cant have a water mount, a flying mount, a ground mount, my brutosaur, and my Yak at once? What if I wanted to show someone a specific mount? I then have to go all the way to a town to do so? Dont make things worse for people.
    Ah ok thats a fair complaint.

My idea was you pick a loadout before going out to adventure. It would be cool if it was in base game but removing QoL stuff never feels good. I didnt want it to eclipse regular gameplay where players felt it necessary to min max their mounts which could quickly turn a cool feature into a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Guess what? Dragonriding "completely invalidates level design" and "trivializes it entirely" just as much as regular flying does. Even much more so, in a sense, when you consider that dragonriding can be twice as fast as the original flight mechanic.
    Except it doesn't, and you're just absolutely wrong. The entire point of Dragonflying is that it interacts in sync with the level design. If you level dragonflying on a zone-by-zone basis, it is pretty much impossible unless with near-perfect execution to get to the higher altitude zones. This is further elevated by the glyph system, which encourages the player to explore. Combine that even further with the enhanced speed and you're met with a nice balance that makes it really easy to get where you need, and is just fun thrilling gameplay while you get there.

So no, Dragonflying is designed to interact and play alongside the level design. With legacy flying, everything is available at once; there are no natural gameplay environmental barriers, and you're forced into using abstract blockers like restricting flight in a specific zone. You don't need to do that with Dragonflying.

Dragonflying is actually insanely well-designed. It just needs a few extra things to push it over the edge and make it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrox View Post
    Except it doesn't, and you're just absolutely wrong.
    You're welcome to your opinion.

The entire point of Dragonflying is that it interacts in sync with the level design. If you level dragonflying on a zone-by-zone basis, it is pretty much impossible unless with near-perfect execution to get to the higher altitude zones.
    Except... it doesn't. You can reach any area you want even on the most basic dragonriding level. All you need is patience to wait for the recharges. You don't need "near perfect executions".

This is further elevated by the glyph system, which encourages the player to explore.
    The 'glyph' system isn't something that couldn't be added without dragonriding. Normal flight could still be used to explore and search for glyphs which, in a game without dragonriding, could be used to upgrade/buy something completely different, like new mounts, transmog, etc.

Combine that even further with the enhanced speed and you're met with a nice balance that makes it really easy to get where you need,
    "Really easy"? I thought you said dragonriding is "impossible to reach places" if you level it normally? So which is it, then? Is it easy, or hard? Also, the speed? Yeah, it's faster than normal flying... at its max speed. Something you're not going to keep going especially if you're trying to fly up.

and is just fun thrilling gameplay while you get there.
    In your subjective opinion. Others, obviously, disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    A pipe dream.

They can't even do heritage armors consistently. This is an order of magnitudes more difficult.
    As much as i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that old flying can just go and Dragonflying is... much more enjoyable, Blizzard has a very absurd tendency to drop things at random once an expansion is over. Thats why Humans or Nightelfs just for example dont have Heritage, as you also brought up, why we wont get another allied race ever again or all the other things that were actually good, but suddenly disappeared...
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

If you level dragonflying on a zone-by-zone basis, it is pretty much impossible unless with near-perfect execution to get to the higher altitude zones. This is further elevated by the glyph system, which encourages the player to explore.
    So in other words, if you purposely hold back you get to have the feeling of exploration once on your account, and then never have to again.

If purposely holding back is your argument... you know you can still hold back with regular flying, too, right? If exploration is something you want, DO IT. The option to skip it doesn't take that away from you. But removing the option to skip does take that away from people who aren't interested in exploration.

Never understood the logic behind "I can do this either way, but you wouldn't do this if you had the choice, so I'd rather take the choice away from you even though it changes nothing for me".

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    As much as i wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that old flying can just go and Dragonflying is... much more enjoyable, Blizzard has a very absurd tendency to drop things at random once an expansion is over. Thats why Humans or Nightelfs just for example dont have Heritage, as you also brought up, why we wont get another allied race ever again or all the other things that were actually good, but suddenly disappeared...
    I think this is the biggest concern. If Dragonflight ends and takes Dragonflying with it and I have to go back to using that boring ass dated flying system again I’ll be severely disappointed.

The fools in here who think both can co-exist don’t realize that if Dragonflying fails to supersede legacy flying, then the likelihood of it remaining a staple of the game becomes much slimmer.

But based on the reception, I think Dragonflying has a high chance of long term success. The people who want the boring system seem to be part of a vocal minority based on the current reception.

I hated this when a similar flying method was used in a WotLK quest. I still hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    I hated this when a similar flying method was used in a WotLK quest. I still hate it.
    There was no similar flying method to Dragonflying in WotLK.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Like I said here to a different poster, you do know that the entire premise of this thread is the OP wishing that basic flying was removed altogether and replaced by dragonriding in all zones and expansions, right?
    In fairness, I simply do not care about the OP's wishes. I'm stating what has been seen and confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Do you have any references to any of that? All I've seen is the devs saying we'd get regular flying back, nothing in the game files and this is the first time I've seen the term "floating mounts".
    If you try to mount certain flying mounts (such as the jellyfish mounts) in the Darkmoon Faire, you'll see the notification that Floating Mounts cannot be used here. Realistically, that is a bug since you should be able to use any mount anywhere.

Source for that - I've personally gotten that notification directly after the prepatch pre-downloaded during the Darkmoon Faire. I clicked my mount that I usually used in preparation for Prepatch, and it disallowed me from mounting it, calling the mount a 'Floating Mount'. You can probably try it yourself on the Darkmoon Faire cycle and see what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

I like dragonflying but it should not replace legacy flying imo. Its kind of pointless to do so. I hope they iterate on dragonflying for future expansions

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    They should remove flying at all. Yeah its super fast and comfortable, but its bad for immersion.
    I beg to differ. In a world with magic and dragons and flying ships its somehow bad for immersion? We had flying units in WC II!

Stop this nonsence. I feel much more immersed in the world where I can fly, because its a fantasy dream for most people. I have enough of ground travel IRL, thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    I like dragonflying but it should not replace legacy flying imo. Its kind of pointless to do so. I hope they iterate on dragonflying for future expansions
    Also this. Old flying has its use and its merits.

I think this is the biggest concern. If Dragonflight ends and takes Dragonflying with it and I have to go back to using that boring ass dated flying system again I’ll be severely disappointed.

The fools in here who think both can co-exist don’t realize that if Dragonflying fails to supersede legacy flying, then the likelihood of it remaining a staple of the game becomes much slimmer.

But based on the reception, I think Dragonflying has a high chance of long term success. The people who want the boring system seem to be part of a vocal minority based on the current reception.
    Your anecdotal evidence does not = youa re in the majority and those that disagree with you are a vocal minority. Both can co-exist easily, especially if it is as popular as you claim it will be. Repeating the same unsubstantiated claims over and over again do not make it fact.

Also, calling people fools who think they both can co-exist is nothing more than trolling. It is nothing more than saying "I am right. Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and the only way things can work is my way".
    Last edited by rrayy; 2022-12-06 at 06:48 PM.

If they go back on their promise to return normal flying later in the expansion, I will quit. I can only speak to myself of course, but I suspect others will follow. They certainly did the last time Blizzard screwed around and found out.

Simple answer. Fulfill their promise. Allow normal flying in 10.2 (not 11.0). If by then it's clear that people generally enjoy dragon flight also, they should keep it in future expansions too, even expanding on it. I'd be perfectly fine with that. Offer players the choice between convenience and speed.

I don't think it should REPLACE old flying for the people that still prefer that method, but it should absolutely be supported as an option for future content as well.

I've been getting motion sickness from Dragonflying - So I really hope it's not a core feature going forwards. I really hope they don't include it as a key part of any more dungeons like they have with The Nokhud Offensive.

I really don't know how I'm going to manage that one on M+ and it's nothing to do with the fight mechanics and everything to do with the flight mechanics. It doesn't help that I play a Prot Paladin. Trying to beat a timer when your tank needs 20 seconds or so to recover every time you fly isn't going to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Offer players the choice between convenience and speed.
    I agree. I'm happy for other people to enjoy Dragonflying as long as I don't have to do it. Being able to choose how you want to fly is a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Does the dragonflight ridealong functionality work inside instances? That could be an answer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I've been getting motion sickness from Dragonflying - So I really hope it's not a core feature going forwards. I really hope they don't include it as a key part of any more dungeons like they have with The Nokhud Offensive.

I really don't know how I'm going to manage that one on M+ and it's nothing to do with the fight mechanics and everything to do with the flight mechanics. It doesn't help that I play a Prot Paladin. Trying to beat a timer when your tank needs 20 seconds or so to recover every time you fly isn't going to end well.

I agree. I'm happy for other people to enjoy Dragonflying as long as I don't have to do it. Being able to choose how you want to fly is a win-win situation for everyone involved.
    Best bet is to hop on someone elses as a passenger and kinda look away til land

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/SGi3Y6D

This is how it feels on live now after finally trying the Soar ability, even as just a simplified version it immediately made me hate coming back to normal flying. I can not wait until Dragonflight comes out just so I can spend time flying around, it's so refreshing. I swear, this better become evergreen and the start of 'mount classes' in Warcraft just like how they have a variety of 'mount classes' in Guild Wars 2.

I really hope that by the end of this expansion, all of the Dragon, Pterrordax, Gryphons, Wyrms, and Protos have their animations retargeted so they can be integrated into the new flight system. Then over the next few expansions, they should slowly come up with other 'mount classes' for mounts that don't fit in those previously mentioned classes. I'd love to see all sorts of new methods of traveling.

Dragonflying is probably the single most refreshing updated mechanic WoW has received since launch and I hope it does to travel what Mythic+ did for dungeons.
    Evergreen?
    It's already boring and I want my normal flying back.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/