Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Blizzard should create a 10-60 starting zone for new players

Hello, fellas.

I've been thinking about the fact that after Exile's Reach, new players are thrown into Battle for Azeroth leveling, which is not a great start in terms of getting used to the game mechanics. I believe Blizzard should create a 10-60 starting experience, rather than just a 1-10 one. I don't advocate for a brand new zone, instead I believe a leveling experience in old zones that delves into a new quest storyline would be better. Maybe going through several continents and allowing players to get used to the game more easily.

What do you think about this?
    Last edited by Nork; 2022-11-18 at 02:48 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    yes and no. going through several continents as you say would lead to a disjointed storyline; better to focus on the one at the start and then let people do different ones as is the current system. however I do think that maybe it should be increased from 1-10 to 1-20; teaching people about specs, interrupting, cc in general.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nork View Post
    Hello, fellas.

I've been thinking about the fact that after Exile's Reach, new players are thrown into Battle for Azeroth leveling, which is not a great start in terms of getting used to the game mechanics. I believe Blizzard should create a 10-60 starting experience, rather than just a 1-10 one. I don't advocate for a brand new zone, instead I believe a leveling experience in old zones delvving into a new quest storyline would be better. Maybe going through several continents and allowing players to get used to the game more easily.

how would this 10-60 differ from regular zones?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I agree. But that leveling zone should be in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms. We need the Cata treatment for the old world.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Why focus on leveling experience when they are selling level boosts to skip 90% of it?

They should just make the old starting areas level scale, after exiles reach the game should send you to your racial starting area. adjust the rewards and exp.

If you are playing a hero class or an ailed race then keep it as is for them.

Honestly BFA leveling is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    yes and no. going through several continents as you say would lead to a disjointed storyline; better to focus on the one at the start and then let people do different ones as is the current system. however I do think that maybe it should be increased from 1-10 to 1-20; teaching people about specs, interrupting, cc in general.
    I agree: The storyline must be focused on one or two continents at the most. I guess Kalimdor for the Horde and Eastern Kingdoms for the Alliance. The reason why I talked about a storyline through several continents is because I had in mind a storyline that focuses on exploring the world the new players will have before them.

However, I disagree it should be restricted to 1-20. If you wanna create a proper storyline, it can't just be 10 levels. Moreover, in my opinion, players that finish this leveling experience should have developed not only skills, but an average knowledge of Warcraft lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Honestly BFA leveling is a lot of fun.
    We are not discussing whether BFA leveling was fun or not, we're saying that it's quite confusing for new players and it doesn't help them to get used to the game mechanics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Why focus on leveling experience when they are selling level boosts to skip 90% of it?
    It's like saying "why creating new zones if they are selling level boosts to skip 90% of it?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello, fellas.

I've been thinking about the fact that after Exile's Reach, new players are thrown into Battle for Azeroth leveling, which is not a great start in terms of getting used to the game mechanics. I believe Blizzard should create a 10-60 starting experience, rather than just a 1-10 one. I don't advocate for a brand new zone, instead I believe a leveling experience in old zones that delves into a new quest storyline would be better. Maybe going through several continents and allowing players to get used to the game more easily.

No, they shouldn't, and BFA isn't that bad to start in, it is the message that needs to be conveyed that needs to be updated, as many new players have the belief that they can go everywhere, which they can't - or maybe it should just have a separate function, so you are ready for BFA but you can go ask someone for advice on how to start your own journey, that person then directs them to Chromie, and they sign off on the hand holding and have to venture on their own. As well, Exile's Reach should be made to take people to Boralus/Dezar'alor, and not Stormwind/Orgrimmar.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    how would this 10-60 differ from regular zones?
    That's a good question, pal. What I've got in mind is something pretty similar to the Exile's Reach experience. Adding also class quests.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    This. Blizz deff wants everyone to be in end game. They probability hate the fact that there is even a world outside the latest expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a good question, pal. What I've got in mind is something pretty similar to the Exile's Reach experience. Adding also class quests.
    So you want them to spend the resources to make a large zone that covers 10-60 that people will only play once?

Would you make it linear 10-60? would there be any optional quest? if so how do you prevent over leveling?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    No, they shouldn't, and BFA isn't that bad to start in, it is the message that needs to be conveyed that needs to be updated, as many new players have the belief that they can go everywhere, which they can't - or maybe it should just have a separate function, so you are ready for BFA but you can go ask someone for advice on how to start your own journey, that person then directs them to Chromie, and they sign off on the hand holding and have to venture on their own. As well, Exile's Reach should be made to take people to Boralus/Dezar'alor, and not Stormwind/Orgrimmar.
    I don't know if you've many friends that have recently started to play WoW, but I do. Most of them were quite confused with how things worked. Many of them ended up going to Outland or other continents by mistake, or not really knowing how to continue the storyline. If I hadn't been there, they would have probably quit, because there were so many things to cope with and the game doesn't explain them properly. BFA storyline doesn't help new players to get used to the game because it's got too many features that are totally dispensable for new players.

It's like saying "why creating new zones if they are selling level boosts to skip 90% of it?"
    WoW is a "end-game"-game and furthermore a huge part of the player-base comes back each ex-pac for the new and shiny zones, skill etc.
    And Blizzard is focusing on producing content to satisfy those demands.

And you can only skip non-current content with a level boost.

Your idea is interesting, but ask yourself whether resources spend on your idea will make Blizzard more money than making new content for the next expac.
    Furthermore we should ask ourselves whether Blizzard will make more money from getting a new player to try out the game or from getting an old player to return to the next expac.

Any "creative" idea should be filtered through the sieve of costs vs. potential profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So you want them to spend the resources to make a large zone that covers 10-60 that people will only play once?

Would you make it linear 10-60? would there be any optional quest? if so how do you prevent over leveling?
    It shouldn't be a huge large zone. As I said, they could just create a new storyline within the old continents, covering 3-4 zones ish. That experience shouldn't be just for new players, the same as Exile's Reach. You would be able to choose it with Chromie.

Yes, it must be linear with few optional quests, which is where BfA failed. Too many optional quests are confusing for new players and they'll probably end up losing track of the main storyline.
    Last edited by Nork; 2022-11-18 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    WoW is a "end-game"-game and furthermore a huge part of the player-base comes back each ex-pac for the new and shiny zones, skill etc.

Your idea is interesting, but ask yourself whether resources spend on your idea will make Blizzard more money than making new content for the next expac.
    Furthermore we should ask ourselves whether Blizzard will make more money from getting a new player to try out the game or from getting an old player to return to the next expac.

Any "creative" idea should be filtered through the sieve of costs vs. potential profit.
    They deff need new players. Hopefully the Xbox release will bring those people in. Get ready for F2P and countless screaming 9 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post

Fortunately, not everything is about money for Blizzard (at least it wasn't). Look at the Cataclysm revamp: I loved it - even though I think they should have included the new revamped zones in the high end. They are still creating stuff that it's not just high end (Exile's Reach is a great example). They can do it, and I don't think people would blame them for doing such a thing as long as they create a great expansion.
    Last edited by Nork; 2022-11-18 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    They deff need new players. Hopefully the Xbox release will bring those people in. Get ready for F2P and countless screaming 9 year olds.
    wow isn't coming to consoles.

Fortunately, not everything is about money for Blizzard (at least it wasn't). Look at the Cataclysm revamp: I loved it - even though I think they should have included the new revamped zones within the high end. They are still creating stuff that it's not high end (Exile's Reach is a great example). They can do it, and I don't think people would blame then for doing such a thing.
    The cata revamp was deff for money tho. Flying was the big selling point there. Too bad it doesn't made sense 15 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    I don't get your "need".
    My "need" is simple: More profits for the same expenses.