Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    Also makes the rage about the Jailer's death scene kind of funny when it wasn't actually just a vague tease, but a follow-up to what N'zoth was saying. But because BFA was so crap people didn't connect N'zoth's warning to Zovaal's.
    I mean, how could we imagine that N'Zoth was referring to the same threat Janitor was talking about... when this threat would be alluded to for the first time 2 years after N'Zoth raid?

There was literally no reason for us to assume N'Zoth was referring to this new threat, instead of simply referring to the Janitor himself.

This does feel like a revelation that came out of nowhere, nevertheless the asspull effects of this revelation are mitigated by the fact that N'Zoth's statement was so ambiguous that I can believe he was referring to the new threat.

Even though, when N'Zoth raid came out, we literally knew nothing about this "new threat" the Janitor was talking about... since Danuser hadn't made that up yet. And so, the easiest conclusion with the means we had was that N'Zoth was simply referring to the events of Shadowlands.

Now we know that N'Zoth was not only aware of the Janitor's plan, but also of the same threat that Death was concerned about. Which adds a new layer of complexity to the situation.

So your argument is flawed. If your argument is that Danuser actually set that threat first in the Ny'alotha raid, then he did a terrible job, since pretty much everyone assumed N'Zoth was simply referring to Shadowlands, not to something beyond that. As we didn't have the concrete means to speculate beyond that.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2023-02-02 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catastrophy349 View Post
    Xal'Atath? Seems like those might even be her notes since the diction matches up.

Dialogue's a little stilted on her part, though. If you're writing snippy notes in the margins, it usually behooves you to be a little more concise and less excessively formal, especially given it seems like the vandal is writing out of frustration and not trying to communicate to anyone in particular.

See:

"Pathetic, what kind of saviors of the universe don't realize their efforts were being undermined by one of their own?" <--> "Saviors of the universe, exceedingly stupid?"

"Evil? According to whom . . . (etc.)" <--> "Truly impartial."

"They looked upon the most impressive empire . . . (etc.)" <--> "Act of envy."

One thing that does mildly annoy me is Blizzard's penchant towards "generic fantasy" dialogue in recent expansions, especially given that it only really started at being this excessive around Battle for Azeroth. I wouldn't call it "flowery", as it's actually rather beige, but there's some quality about it that makes it come off as masturbatory and anodyne.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BaumanKing View Post
    Because that's the body of a high elf and that's it. Biologically your void elves are half-elven/half-ethereal mutants. Xal'atath has nothing to do with ethereals, and her model is just a placeholder.
    One thing that makes it suitable is that WoW Elves are parasitic, destructive, and malignant. The Void is parasitic, destructive, and malignant.

Source: Elf player

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    One thing that does mildly annoy me is Blizzard's penchant towards "generic fantasy" dialogue in recent expansions, especially given that it only really started at being this excessive around Battle for Azeroth. I wouldn't call it "flowery", as it's actually rather beige, but there's some quality about it that makes it come off as masturbatory and anodyne.
    I think it's an attempt to reign in the over-modernization of Cataclysm. Characters were ridiculously verbose in Vanilla.

I think it's an attempt to reign in the over-modernization of Cataclysm. Characters were ridiculously verbose in Vanilla.
    I mean, Nefarian and Onyxia were so funny in how crazy their dialogue was.

10+ Year Old Account
    People here are really and gamers in general get real uppity about dialogue in video games. I don't understand it honestly, its very RARE for me to go "Ok that was weird" when it comes to dialogue.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Ok, so Xal 5th old god confirmed. Guess we all saw that coming, but im curious what theyll pull out of their hat as an explanation why Xal was scrubbed from the history books of the titans (aka chronicles). Probably something along the lines of "She was so powerful she needed to be erased blah blah"

Also, combine these pages with the interview where Danuser said N'zoths warnings werent about the Janitor at all, but about the same cosmic threat he saw coming, and i think its getting obvious that the Void is trying to corrupt a world soul for the same reason the Janitor did his stuff: they are trying to create a Dark Titan to enslave the universe, so they can survive whatever big bad is coming.

And that would be pretty fckn boring. So all the cosmic forces are trying to usurp the others because they are afraid of some "mysterious" new big bad who we are supposed to be soooooooo scared of...yawn. Every cosmic force is basically becoming the same thing, just in different colours. All of them can corrupt, enslave, resurrect, destroy, transform or whatever else.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    Ok, so Xal 5th old god confirmed. Guess we all saw that coming, but im curious what theyll pull out of their hat as an explanation why Xal was scrubbed from the history books of the titans (aka chronicles). Probably something along the lines of "She was so powerful she needed to be erased blah blah"

Also, combine these pages with the interview where Danuser said N'zoths warnings werent about the Janitor at all, but about the same cosmic threat he saw coming, and i think its getting obvious that the Void is trying to corrupt a world soul for the same reason the Janitor did his stuff: they are trying to create a Dark Titan to enslave the universe, so they can survive whatever big bad is coming.

And that would be pretty fckn boring. So all the cosmic forces are trying to usurp the others because they are afraid of some "mysterious" new big bad who we are supposed to be soooooooo scared of...yawn. Every cosmic force is basically becoming the same thing, just in different colours. All of them can corrupt, enslave, resurrect, destroy, transform or whatever else.
    I still stand by that they are all afraid of the 7th force. Which just so happens to be us the players.
    Makes the most sense to me to have all the various cosmic for es be afraid of us to some extent. It also has the benefit of avoiding a potential biggest bad, while ensuring a steady supply of enemies who want us dead.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    “Five” evil gods, huh.

Either Blizzard’s lore team dun goofed or once again, the players/community can telegraph Blizzard’s story choices and direction years in advance.

Also makes the rage about the Jailer's death scene kind of funny when it wasn't actually just a vague tease, but a follow-up to what N'zoth was saying. But because BFA was so crap people didn't connect N'zoth's warning to Zovaal's.
    No, its that "omg the bad guy was just trying to protect us from an even worse guy" is the most face palm moments of garbage writing.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    “Five” evil gods, huh.

Either Blizzard’s lore team dun goofed or once again, the players/community can telegraph Blizzard’s story choices and direction years in advance.
    Plenty of people here can to the latter, that's how we know every time that this next expansion will defo have a world revamp.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

They were, and it was perfectly fair, but it was in a fairly tame capacity. The new dialogue feels far more, as I said, masturbatory and anodyne. It may just be that it's plain worse, but there's something about the way characters communicate now that feels a tad insufferable. The stilted pathos makes it worse.

It's not the verbosity or the anachronism alone, either—I enjoy FromSoft dialogue and it leans quite heavily into verbose and anachronistic diction. In fact, most of the dialogue I write myself is very anachronistic. Modern WoW dialogue isn't even so much anachronistic as it is plain cheesy—it's very hard to place the exact issue, I confess, but I think the difference is there.

- - - Updated - - -

I find that very unfortunate. I was holding out hope that the Janitor's big fear was the imminent war between the other Cosmic Forces, which would make his behavior honestly make a fair lick of sense. It would also not require a giant rewrite of the Void's motives, too, because their goal would still be the same—corrupt the Final Titan to win the war and consume everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    To be fair, they broadcasted that all the way back in Legion when it was mentioned that Xal'Atath could be a remnant of the fifth Old God.

- - - Updated - - -

but im curious what theyll pull out of their hat as an explanation why Xal was scrubbed from the history books of the titans (aka chronicles). Probably something along the lines of "She was so powerful she needed to be erased blah blah"
    I'm definitely hoping they don't try to one-up the last few threats again and keep it to "she was an Old God, the other Old Gods wanted to eat every other Old God, and she was the first and only one that was actually killed by the others, but her undying essence remained and was put into the dagger".

there were five old gods since classic. it's the same vanilla book with someone's comments, maybe Nelth's.
    besides, it's probably G'huun. he's considered an old god by them, and it's completely natural to present own mistakes as something that's always been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    It's not the verbosity or the anachronism alone, either—I enjoy FromSoft dialogue and it leans quite heavily into verbose and anachronistic diction. In fact, most of the dialogue I write myself is very anachronistic. Modern WoW dialogue isn't even so much anachronistic as it is plain cheesy—it's very hard to place the exact issue, I confess, but I think the difference is there.
    I mean it's not that hard to place. It's just worse writing occasionally saved by good voice actors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Plenty of people here can to the latter, that's how we know every time that this next expansion will defo have a world revamp.
    Being able to predict something doesn't mean its bad.

I mean it's not that hard to place. It's just worse writing occasionally saved by good voice actors.
    "Worse writing" This whole forum exaggerates what the game is or how bad it is
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Before everyone loses their shit, the book is NOT new. The new part are the annotations by Neltharion.

The book itself is literally from the WC3 manual, so I wouldn't even analyze that at all.

I think they are definitely going to run with the fifth old god thing, it's been insanely likely since day one of Legion with Xal'atath. Them reusing the vanilla book means that they are aware of what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    The book itself is literally from the WC3 manual, so I wouldn't even analyze that at all.
    The fact that I didn't realize that initially is a source of incredible embarrassment for me.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Before everyone loses their shit, the book is NOT new. The new part are the annotations by Neltharion.

I feel like this is happening alot with dragon flight people seeing old lore and then thinking it’s new and means big things.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Between the Baine quest and there model of the totem, I think it's very likely that this is a new weapon for Tauren.

https://twitter.com/stiven_srb/statu...JUaFpbdpw5N5Rw

Between the Baine quest and there model of the totem, I think it's very likely that this is a new weapon for Tauren.
    Gosh I hope so. If I could resemble the WC3 tauren swinging a big ol' totem around I think I'd have a new main for life.