Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm pretty sure that retail servers will still be in play...for what remains of a playerbase that quits after a month of play.
    So yes, they would abandon the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggler View Post
    it's delusional to think that classic would become the new "main branch" of WoW. If anything they will carry over some aspects from classic like they did in DF, but everything else is just that: delusional.
    What is it that is in Classic that cannot be made to work in Retail? Because any feature you don't port over would be a potental dealbreaker, just as the reverse is true for every feature you do port.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebir95 View Post
    That's a wild interpretation of what he said. Unless they're announcing a new Warcraft game or movie, it just means he's working on Classic Retail And Hearthstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    That's a wild interpretation of what he said. Unless they're announcing a new Warcraft game or movie, it just means he's working on Classic Retail And Hearthstone.
    I honestly think they probably never stopped considering other media. I think the movie was a wrong call but they absolutely could get an animated series.

I've long wondered if they could do a CRPG but after BG3 I'd rather they did not.

WoW game director Ion Hazzikostas and executive producer Holly Longdale said Metzen's role as creative advisor didn't do him justice. They went on to say he is a powerful force at Blizzard HQ that is dedicated and passionate about making Warcraft as a franchise "everything it can be."

Hazzikostas said having Metzen in the office to bounce ideas off of has been "amazing," especially as the WoW story team looks to go beyond many of the villains, characters, and settings that Metzen helped create two decades ago.

"As we look to the future, it's no secret…we've almost exhausted the Warcraft III-era canon of what are the villains we have yet to face and what are the places we have yet to go, and we are creating new ones as we speak," Hazzikostas said. "The Primal Incarnates that are central to Dragonflight are a new creation to World of Warcraft. Having Chris available as a resource and as a partner as we start to create new things, new places, and yet have them still feel quintessentially Warcraft is something he is uniquely suited to do."

Wait and see, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    What is it that is in Classic that cannot be made to work in Retail? Because any feature you don't port over would be a potental dealbreaker, just as the reverse is true for every feature you do port.
    I don't really know what you are trying to say or how that relates to my post tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I honestly think they probably never stopped considering other media. I think the movie was a wrong call but they absolutely could get an animated series.

I've long wondered if they could do a CRPG but after BG3 I'd rather they did not.
    They'd probably do better on a more action oriented title anyway.

I could see them pulling off an 3rd person ARPG, though.

IMO the campaign of D4 was actually pretty good. It's the endgame stuff that's lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    What is it that is in Classic that cannot be made to work in Retail?
    Horde vs Alliance.

Horde vs Alliance.
    That didn't work any better back then than today. WotLK was pretty much when the ridiculously forced part of it started, with them starting a brawl right in front of ICC for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Errr, not really?

"Executive Creative Director of the 'Warcraft Universe'."

Hearthstone isn't canon so it won't be utilizing Chris Metzen, which leaves just WoW Classic and Retail, or some unannounced Warcraft game containing story.

However, it then goes on to state "right now he's supporting World of Warcraft leadership in crafting the next generation of adventures". That implies, at the very least, that he isn't hands on for retail development. He's supporting others who lead that.

So either he's heading up some unannounced project, OR, he's hands on working on Classic+.

Either way, it's clearly worded in a way that is ambiguous and undoubtedly wider in scope than just working on existing Warcraft games.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They'd probably do better on a more action oriented title anyway.

I could see them pulling off an 3rd person ARPG, though.

IMO the campaign of D4 was actually pretty good. It's the endgame stuff that's lacking.
    I agree, it was solid. You can have an Action CRPG instead of a party-based one that is still story-focused and has simple but very entertaining gameplay; the kind that is not meant to be played forever.

Honestly, I am pretty sure you could use the WoW engine to build a CRPG.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That didn't work any better back then than today. WotLK was pretty much when the ridiculously forced part of it started, with them starting a brawl right in front of ICC for no good reason.
    Your perspective.
    I preferred the added tension ingame. It made my play cautious and enlivening.

WoW game director Ion Hazzikostas and executive producer Holly Longdale said Metzen's role as creative advisor didn't do him justice. They went on to say he is a powerful force at Blizzard HQ that is dedicated and passionate about making Warcraft as a franchise "everything it can be."

Hazzikostas said having Metzen in the office to bounce ideas off of has been "amazing," especially as the WoW story team looks to go beyond many of the villains, characters, and settings that Metzen helped create two decades ago.

"As we look to the future, it's no secret…we've almost exhausted the Warcraft III-era canon of what are the villains we have yet to face and what are the places we have yet to go, and we are creating new ones as we speak," Hazzikostas said. "The Primal Incarnates that are central to Dragonflight are a new creation to World of Warcraft. Having Chris available as a resource and as a partner as we start to create new things, new places, and yet have them still feel quintessentially Warcraft is something he is uniquely suited to do."

Wait and see, I guess.
    Who would've thought. It's almost as if I'm entirely correct when I say that 11.0 represents (with us facing the Void) an ending of sorts to all the Warcraft 3-inspired stories.

Again for those in the back!

World of Warcraft

TBC -> WoD -> Legion
    WotLK -> BfA -> Shadowlands
    Cata -> Dragonflight -> 11.0

MoP is just MoP. A breather from all the heavy stuff.

A new book in the story of Warcraft opens with 12.0, but it will probably be partly noticeable already in 11.0.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snewo View Post
    Errr, not really?

"Executive Creative Director of the 'Warcraft Universe'."

Hearthstone isn't canon so it won't be utilizing Chris Metzen, which leaves just WoW Classic and Retail, or some unannounced Warcraft game containing story.

However, it then goes on to state "right now he's supporting World of Warcraft leadership in crafting the next generation of adventures". That implies, at the very least, that he isn't hands on for retail development. He's supporting others who lead that.

So either he's heading up some unannounced project, OR, he's hands on working on Classic+.

Either way, it's clearly worded in a way that is ambiguous and undoubtedly wider in scope than just working on existing Warcraft games.
    He's a producer. That's literally what a producer does.

He's one of the bosses that ensure everything comes together as a nice and cohesive product they can sell. In this case, his focus on the creative departments. The story needs to make sense, the art needs to make sense, and it all needs to be pushed forward with new games, films, shows, books, and so on. He's the boss of all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggler View Post
    it's delusional to think that classic would become the new "main branch" of WoW. If anything they will carry over some aspects from classic like they did in DF, but everything else is just that: delusional.
    stop summoning me twice in one post!

Your perspective.
    I preferred the added tension ingame. It made my play cautious and enlivening.
    This towly's tweets are starting to piss me off

what pisses me off even more is that Blizzard turned WOW into Transmog game with pseudo-elite raids for 5 days of progression, which are constantly changed, tuned, nerfed, the same goes for classes - adding specs, reworking them during the expansion (WTF), just to nerefing them to the ground only to make them S-Tier super meta a week later. This game is a entire circus right now, not to mention the ilvl range between patches and squishing everything every damn expansion...

people complain eg about Drenor and maybe there were no mythic plus or other crap there. But the game was as it was released.
    Game was solid without ongoing development after release.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldshaper View Post
    Who would've thought. It's almost as if I'm entirely correct when I say that 11.0 represents (with us facing the Void) an ending of sorts to all the Warcraft 3-inspired stories.

Again for those in the back!

World of Warcraft

TBC -> WoD -> Legion
    WotLK -> BfA -> Shadowlands
    Cata -> Dragonflight -> 11.0

MoP is just MoP. A breather from all the heavy stuff.

A new book in the story of Warcraft opens with 12.0, but it will probably be partly noticeable already in 11.0.

- - - Updated - - -

He's a producer. That's literally what a producer does.

He's one of the bosses that ensure everything comes together as a nice and cohesive product they can sell. In this case, his focus on the creative departments. The story needs to make sense, the art needs to make sense, and it all needs to be pushed forward with new games, films, shows, books, and so on. He's the boss of all of that.
    Also, classic doesn't even need a creative producer lol ..... it's NOT supposed to have new lore content.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    Also, classic doesn't even need a creative producer lol ..... it's NOT supposed to have new lore content.
    I believe that's where the "+" comes in.

Wait and see, I guess.
    Article headline:
    Blizzard's Chris Metzen Is Now Shaping The Future Of Warcraft As A Creative Director
    People on MMO-C "dAnUsEr Is StIlL hIs BoSs"

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    People on MMO-C "dAnUsEr Is StIlL hIs BoSs"
    Danuser is only responsible for the things I don't like, while everything I enjoy is only happening because of Metzen's return.

But seriously, I can already see the next generation of people who should really stop playing WoW for a while blaming everything wrong in WoW (which according to them is everything obv) on Metzen returning.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    WELLLLLLL.... There is one thing, but it is completely out of left-field. There were dataminers who found a character model for Dr. Boom (y'know.. that one goblin NPC for a side quest in TBC that later became a Legendary Card in Hearthstone?) ...Yeah, apparently some dataminers found a full model of him and his mech suit in Crash Team Rumble. (That one Crash Bandicoot PvP game that came out this year.)

...It is perhaps the first time a WoW character ever crossed over into another IP outside of Blizzard's IPs. Though, I doubt that his inclusion could be a hint to anything... and if it was a hint at a "goblin underground expansion" then it would be a far-reaching stretch.
    The base marketing of this game is pretty bad, for instance naming it Crash Team Rumble when they have Crash Team Racing, widely known as ctr. The game released only on playstation and xbox and received almost no advertisement, didn't show up at E3 or gamescon, etc. I'm okay with having a few characters from warcraft saga go into an activision game, especially crash bandicoot or spyro (nostalgia) but not a game noone knows it even exists

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    Danuser is only responsible for the things I don't like, while everything I enjoy is only happening because of Metzen's return.
    Dude said he liked Season 8 of GOT. There is no hope for him.