10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    We got leaks of N'Zoth's influence before BFA was announced. There were some cultists datamined during Legion that had N'Zoth tentacles on their robes. N'Zoth and Azshara were also showcased at the announcement, and of course we saw both in the Warbringers cinematic.
    A few things being leaked before an announcement, and then more things being revealed at an announcement, in no way make a point that the few leaked things we know before an announcement exclude anything. That makes about as much sense as saying "the next expansion is surely about dragons, so I guess we still won't see ducks added to the game." Silly example but the point is we can't say what won't be in an expansion, until we know what that expansion even is. And even after the announcement we will still find out a crap load of new, unannounced info when data mining it begins. There could be a heavy void plotline before the end, a little void throughout, or no void at all. But we can't rule anything out right now.

And I'm done arguing this point nowbbecause I refuse to be sucked into THAT void with you.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

I go to sleep a few hours, I come back and now Eonar and Elune are dating wooooooooooooooooooooooh

Having just watched the Ahsoka finale. I really wish WoW would have a villain like Thrawn. Someone who isn't a threat at all in a physical fight, all about the mental game, strategy and such. I think it could be a very refreshing change of pace from "rawr I am mad, I am gonna destroy the world, mortal fools rawr" we get every expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    People seem to hate that lore a lot more now than during Shadowlands. At that point it was mostly hating Sylvanas.

But I want everyone to ask themselves, was it really the lore itself that was the problem, or was the real problem that covid made the exposition more kurt & rushed than it would have been under normal development circumstances?
    It's a good question, but I lean on the side of "the lore itself was bad".

It simply overexposed what's divine in the Warcraft universe. It undermined what came before it by "one-upping" everything, from Northrend and the Lich King to the old World Trees, the role of Death, the Scourge, the Titans, and lots more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
    So..

IT now has to be asked. What do the Halls of Origination do then?
    It was stated from the beginning: eradicates very life form on the planet and let's new life start again, with the Dream was supposed to be the seed/blueprint of that new life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldshaper View Post
    Blizz: "Okay, let's get back to the basics. STORM DWARVES on LIGHTNING GRYPHONS."

People speculating on MMO-Champion: "Okay, so how can we connect this to the worst parts of Warcraft lore, the Zereths and the First Ones, and just turn it all into poo? Is Elune dating Eonar? :3"
    It appears that some posters here are desperate for another disastrous cosmic expansion.

Why? I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingliu View Post
    Having just watched the Ahsoka finale. I really wish WoW would have a villain like Thrawn. Someone who isn't a threat at all in a physical fight, all about the mental game, strategy and such. I think it could be a very refreshing change of pace from "rawr I am mad, I am gonna destroy the world, mortal fools rawr" we get every expansion.
    Denathrius kinda felt this way. Diabolically evil, yet incredible charming and calculated.

Quote Originally Posted by milkmustache View Post
    Denathrius kinda felt this way. Diabolically evil, yet incredible charming and calculated.
    Definitely the closest we have gotten so far, I'll give you that. He was still very much a threat in a fight though. I want someone as threatning as a Westfall Chicken, but hiding behind other benefactors of his plans.

It appears that some posters here are desperate for another disastrous cosmic expansion.

Why? I have no idea.
    No clue, but I'll take your Tinker and Elemental ideas over that nonsense any day of the week.

Just let Warcraft be Warcraft for a minute, damn. Shadowlands only ended less than a year ago.

It's a good question, but I lean on the side of "the lore itself was bad".

It simply overexposed what's divine in the Warcraft universe. It undermined what came before it by "one-upping" everything, from Northrend and the Lich King to the old World Trees, the role of Death, the Scourge, the Titans, and lots more.
    I would agree, but I would point to a big reason Shadowlands existed at all: DnD

The Forgotten Realms has this elaborate Afterlife lore; that Shadowlands lore is very much in the spirit of. That lore itself doesn't create problems, but at the same time nobody DMing their campaigns spends much time there. It's this whole world of lore nobody actually wants to interact with. But at the same time it doesn't ruin anything.

The idea of going to Avernus or the Maw is dope as shit, but in practice its not that easy to make it engrossing. The main difference here is DnD had to make the bottom layer of their Hell a cool Mad Max world where everyone rode giant deathtanks.

Why? I have no idea.
    Well, if Mists of Pandaria is any indication their "cosmic" expansions don't have to be literally cosmic. They can also be spiritual or even futuristic.
    Last edited by Ersula; 2023-10-04 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingliu View Post
    I think they tried to play that up to a degree with the Jailer, it just fell totally flat in practice.
    "We will soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four."
    — G.K. Chesterton

You'll believe it when you see it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by flan1337 View Post
    Where did you get this???
    Chronicle (Vol 3 I think ?)

1+ Year Old Account

Why? I have no idea.
    Because Cosmic doesn’t instantly mean bad expansion.
    Legion was cosmic (by your definition) and is still hailed as one of the best expansions.
    Chen isn't a Monk
    what exactly makes Dwarves an underground race?

Quote Originally Posted by milkmustache View Post
    Denathrius gives me hope that they are willing to write characters like him and Azshara still.

I think it would be cool if blizzard did something like broken shore pre-patch scenario again, where horde and alliance are in the same instance but fighting on 2 other sides of the zone.

Like that one boss in broken shore scenario that was going from alliance to horde side and we killed it together, now it would be even more fitting, given that for now at least, horde and alliance have peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    So, if I understand this correctly, the realm of life has little pockets called dreams, and there's a pocket for every planet? And if you enter the dream and travel enough you can go to the actual plane of life?
    It would make sense. SL works like a funnel of all worlds, so Life would works the reverse.

5+ Year Old Account
    Blizz: "Okay, let's get back to the basics. STORM DWARVES on LIGHTNING GRYPHONS."

People speculating on MMO-Champion: "Okay, so how can we connect this to the worst parts of Warcraft lore, the Zereths and the First Ones, and just turn it all into poo? Is Elune dating Eonar? :3"
    To be fair it doesn't matter either way. Shadowlands wasn't bad because it was cosmic stuff. It was bad because it was just written bad. And going back to the basics won't matter if it is written like the faction war in BfA.

Also the way I gather, nothing really points towards a simple expansion.

Earthen studying a weird fissure, caverns filled with the corrupted roots of an ancient world tree, a far away land covered by storm that dragons don't pass through, but night elf pirates do. Also, 5th old god stuff. This very likely won't be simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Denathrius gives me hope that they are willing to write characters like him and Azshara still.
    I'd like to see more of both, though ideally not together. I have seen people propose pairing them, but I think they're too similar to have an interesting dynamic.
    "We will soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four."
    — G.K. Chesterton

You'll believe it when you see it for yourself.

I think part of the problem is that we're being given so many hooks, teasers, and setups for what feels like increasingly disparate settings rather than one cohesive world. I mean, let's just take one questline in 10.1.7. How many people have been getting excited over one line from Hatuun implying the possibility of playable Broken, or broadly some focus on the Broken or Argus? What are the odds that we see that actually return in 11.0? In 2 years, or 4 years, or ever?

The more they toss out intrigue in every possible direction, the more that an increasingly large group of people will be disappointed when things inevitably only move in one of those directions. I'm not sure if they understand that they're not exactly riding a wave of goodwill that permits them to keep stringing people along as they are now. If the Jailer had gotten years more foreshadowing and buildup, it still wouldn't mean much if the end product was the same. If Avaloren or Khaz Algar or whatever is underwhelming and disappointing, nobody will care that some lore books name dropped them in Dragonflight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrad Wagner View Post
    I go to sleep a few hours, I come back and now Eonar and Elune are dating wooooooooooooooooooooooh
    Personally I think she needs even more lovers. What is more "possibilities and randomness and change" than a life diety banging anything and everything to see what happens?! Them pesky titans and their "order" would be all "why would you mate with a deer and a woman? Surely nothing will result from that." And yet Cenarius was born from that deer sex! Jury is still out on whether or not Elune and Eonar banging could result in an equally "impossible" creature.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.