1. #26181
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    If there was something there, it can't be as big as the Broken Isles or the Dragon Isles. There's not enough room to fit a continent of those sizes.

    If anything it looks like something about as big as Zandalar or Kul'tiras.
    We have no idea how much space there is in the ocean on the backside.
    Hell, we don't even know how big the Great Sea is.

    And not that it matters, as Blizzard can and does shift and retcon the size of the planet and its continents to whatever it is they need at the moment.

    Nvm that the in-game world can be any size, completely detached from its actual lore size.


    Formerly known as Arafal

  2. #26182
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon ANX View Post
    @Marlamin , Have you seen anything in the files that could directly or indirectly indicate that the next expansion would be larger than what is typically expected?
    For example, a file loading system that would not be necessary at this time or similar indications.
    I'm just curious, because i think that even if 11.0 is not a world revamp i feel like Blizz will go big this time.
    Not really. One can maybe argue the airlock system used in Zaralek which allows them to preload other maps while on another one as well as seamlessly transfer players between them, could theoretically be used to tie together maps at certain points to give the illusion of larger maps (provided they improve upon it since the Zaralek transition can be a bit buggy at times).

    As always there are very small things that show up in the client itself that either aren't used yet, are for something internal or are for another branch like 1.15.x so it's hard to tell if any of that will end up being for 11.0 or not, but I haven't seen anything that implies a larger world or anything like that.

  3. #26183
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    There's no pro argument to have a low RNG mount, period.
    Sure there are. They provide very long term goals for players, incentivize revisiting content, and makes item drop interesting.

    The second I found out Mossy Mammoth's completion was tied to a specific Vaults iteration instead of RNG, opening any doors or chests other than the weekly Zskera quest's assignment to progress to that iteration became completely pointless, as did bothering to get keys. Getting the mammoth was a completely uninteresting experience because it was pseudo RNG, not actual RNG.

    If it were actual RNG, I might've had a reason to continue doing a fairly interesting weekly activity.

    Just because you don't care about/don't like a gameplay aspect doesn't mean there's no arguments for it.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2023-10-08 at 09:32 AM.

  4. #26184
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Not really. One can maybe argue the airlock system used in Zaralek which allows them to preload other maps while on another one as well as seamlessly transfer players between them, could theoretically be used to tie together maps at certain points to give the illusion of larger maps (provided they improve upon it since the Zaralek transition can be a bit buggy at times).
    Plus the Zaralek transition depends on a low-feature tunnel to achieve that illusion. If that transition had to be triggered on a much larger plane it would be much harder to do successfully. I do wonder if it could be done on something nearly featureless but with a far large trigger plane (e.g. open sea, illusion of a silhouette of the target area by using the skybox)

  5. #26185
    I am curious, besides the survival game, has there been any indication of Blizzard developing a new (non-mobile) game?

    For example, we recently knew that they were developing a kind of online WoW mobile game, a secret project that, to my knowledge, no one knew anything about.

    Is there any job post or some clue about a new game?
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.


  6. #26186
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Plus the Zaralek transition depends on a low-feature tunnel to achieve that illusion. If that transition had to be triggered on a much larger plane it would be much harder to do successfully. I do wonder if it could be done on something nearly featureless but with a far large trigger plane (e.g. open sea, illusion of a silhouette of the target area by using the skybox)
    Seamless map teleports on the open sea could be doable provided it's a bit foggy/stormy so terrain in the distance doesn't show up (or as you mentioned with a secondary illusion in e.g. the skybox).

    In regards to the airlock system I'm more curious to see if they will apply the preloading more generally to improve on loading screens between teleports in some cases. I can imagine it is a terrible idea to preload all the destinations the Stormwind portal room can take you (maybe pick the busy/current content ones?), but there's only 2 places the Dark Portal can take you for example, would cut down some loading screen times significantly.

    Other examples could include e.g. the Oribos portals/taxi, any instance portals, any boats/transports, the portal between EK/Quel'Thalas etc. Wouldn't get rid of loading screens entirely, but would make them very short in good conditions (hardware/latency).

  7. #26187
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    We have no idea how much space there is in the ocean on the backside.
    Hell, we don't even know how big the Great Sea is.

    And not that it matters, as Blizzard can and does shift and retcon the size of the planet and its continents to whatever it is they need at the moment.

    Nvm that the in-game world can be any size, completely detached from its actual lore size.
    There has to be a limit, even with the "Titans have been gaslighting us this whole time" card there needs to be a limit of what's actually left to explore Azeroth. Even Blizz admitted that they've exhausted all their resources from the Warcraft games and need new material to work with.

    Whatever is hidden away would have to be something the Titans don't know about or chose not to talk about. There's no way they would lie about there being an Old God hidden away over there (if they did, not only would it make them look incompetent, but also it would imply there are probably multiple different Old Gods that we don't even know about that are corrupting Azeroth from the BACK.)

    So with that in mind, it could probably be something that even the Old Gods haven't touched and is something so ancient that it dates back to the Elemental Lords.

  8. #26188
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    We have no idea how much space there is in the ocean on the backside.
    Hell, we don't even know how big the Great Sea is.

    And not that it matters, as Blizzard can and does shift and retcon the size of the planet and its continents to whatever it is they need at the moment.

    Nvm that the in-game world can be any size, completely detached from its actual lore size.
    We've seen global views of Azeroth before but they're obviously different over time, so it could change at a moment's notice. The Ulduar globes iirc essentially placed Northrend at the north pole and Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms at opposite eastern and western poles, which would comfortably allow a continent twice the size of Kalimdor. I think the view of Azeroth in the Argus skybox is similar but the continents are shown to be smaller and more widely spaced (reminiscent of the maps in Chronicle), which would allow for basically another whole map the exact same size as the one we have.

    They can definitely just retcon it so we're actually only dealing with a tiny part of the planet's surface, but I think they've given themselves enough wiggle room as is.

    ---

    I'm hoping the next expansion deals with Spirit and Decay in a way which properly explains why they're left out when talking about the primal elements. There's a fine enough explanation for why the four primal elements were the only ones manifest during the Black Empire (Azeroth was eating all of the Spirit, and the Old Gods were probably using all of the Decay to subjugate the other elementals), but they don't really seem to apply anymore since there's plenty of both Spirit and Decay on Azeroth, they just haven't coalesced to form a culture anywhere.

    I'd like to see a fairies (Spirit) vs. monsters (Decay) kinda thing in Avaloren. I'm not familiar enough with Arthurian legend to know if that's involved as a theme, but I'm assuming there's something similar.

  9. #26189
    hopefully virtual ticket/goodies stuff will be revealed on tuesday.

  10. #26190
    Hopefully in the next expac we find out what this big threat is that the Jailer warned us about.

  11. #26191
    Quote Originally Posted by Revamp Man View Post
    Zovaal was destined to lose because the first ones foresaw his treachery

    Like I'm not even talking shit this is the plot of SL we are the chosen ones and that's why we can travel to the maw

    Not our ties to Azeroth
    Not the fact we killed a death titan
    Nope just mysterious ways
    Isn't it because we have the Hearth of Azeroth? I though that was connection.

  12. #26192
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    Seamless map teleports on the open sea could be doable provided it's a bit foggy/stormy so terrain in the distance doesn't show up (or as you mentioned with a secondary illusion in e.g. the skybox).
    It's just that if they could manage that, we could have seamless transitions from continent to continent by just using the existing assets (Island Expeditions) and geography. Which I doubt is a priority but it would make for some crazy flying.

    I also do hope we could have sea battle that way; imagine taking a boat from booty bay, following the ship much further into the sea and then transitioning into an open ocean area where you get attacked by the Bloodsail.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    Isn't it because we have the Hearth of Azeroth? I though that was connection.
    That was my understanding as well.

  13. #26193
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post
    As a software engineer I love how you try to give this thread a little dev flavour xD

    So, could it still be for a prepatch event? Like burning of teldrassil? "Crossing of the storm" or something?
    That was my though too.

  14. #26194
    Dunno if it's been discussed yet, but this Tweet is very interesting.

    https://twitter.com/TripdWyr/status/1710768187468640731

    He worked on the Warlock Customization options, the Dark Ranger customization and Dragonriding Customization. Generally, customization.

    Dunno if he is referring to the next PTR build or 10.2.5.

  15. #26195
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Okay, your comment did bring up a good point, which is Mythic Raid Mounts. I think they are fine with being a low drop chance IF they were a 100% during the relevant expansion.

    But yeah, realistically, even if killing the rare gives you a currency, and you need to kill it 100 times, it's still not great, but it's better than it being completely random

    Does the person who gets it after the first kill feel accomplished? No, of course not, they are just happy they don't have to kill the rare again?

    Does the person who gets it after killing the Rare 500 times feel accomplished? No, they are just glad it's over.
    I wasn't necessarely speaking about killing the same monster for the currency. I pointed out anima as a global currency which is cool way but maybe there's more to do elsewhere. In DF, we have a shitload of grey useless items who seems to be here for the sole purpose of filling your inventory while giving up very meaningless informations about the lore. Maybe we can have those items in different rarity type instead like we had with the same expansion and they could serve as currency.

    One of the most well done thing in early DF was the way you had to farm mount. There was almost no "Kill this rare 1000 times". Most of them was their own specific little quest and that's the direction they should take in the future in my opinion.

  16. #26196
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Dunno if it's been discussed yet, but this Tweet is very interesting.

    https://twitter.com/TripdWyr/status/1710768187468640731

    He worked on the Warlock Customization options, the Dark Ranger customization and Dragonriding Customization. Generally, customization.

    Dunno if he is referring to the next PTR build or 10.2.5.
    Sounds more like 10.2.5 but i don't know what it can mean, boomkin are getting new stuff in 10.2 so maybe DK pets? Draenei got eredar customization

    Red orcs? Dragonmaw customization? 10.2.5 would be also after blizzcon so maybe there will be some 2 new allied races with preorder. who knows.

  17. #26197
    The Lightbringer Valysar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMizAwesome View Post
    Sounds more like 10.2.5 but i don't know what it can mean, boomkin are getting new stuff in 10.2 so maybe DK pets? Draenei got eredar customization

    Red orcs? Dragonmaw customization? 10.2.5 would be also after blizzcon so maybe there will be some 2 new allied races with preorder. who knows.
    New DH wings please

  18. #26198
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,298
    Alternative Shadowform visuals please.


    Formerly known as Arafal

  19. #26199
    I am Murloc! Wangming's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    5,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Alternative Shadowform visuals please.
    Ahh Shadowform. An ability literally begging to be revamped.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Valysar View Post
    New DH wings please
    For real though. Imagine Black birdlike wings like a fallen angel.

  20. #26200
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Alternative Shadowform visuals please.
    Lightform for the edgier edge-lords, so edgy they look plain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •