WoW has been going harder on individual expansion branding rather than the Warcraft name recently if anything, but I do think that Blizzard has been trying to pivot back to the franchise as the primary pillar of the company after Overwatch's mismanagement. Granted, Warcraft also has a sizeable pit of 2018 through 2021 it needs to crawl out of still.

Bloodsail Admiral Foreign Exchange Ztudent's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloriandus View Post
    My sources:

Microsoft wants big expansion of Warcraft IP, so...

- "Warcraft 4" coming
    - Pace will pick up on Warcraft shows, web series, books, etc.
    - Biggest announcement, however, likely will divide playerbase: "World of Warcraft" is becoming just "Warcraft"
    - Metzen will announce all this at Blizzcon
    Adds up with the fact that the Acquisition announcement has the weird Warcraft with Night Elf in front of a tree graphic. Interesting if true.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Murlocos View Post
    WoW has been going harder on individual expansion branding rather than the Warcraft name recently if anything, but I do think that Blizzard has been trying to pivot back to the franchise as the primary pillar of the company after Overwatch's mismanagement. Granted, Warcraft also has a sizeable pit of 2018 through 2021 it needs to crawl out of still.
    I mean even if we don't count Reforged and the classic RTS games, there WoW still has two spinoffs with Hearthstone and Rumble. And provides a good chunk of characters to HotS. WarCraft is definitely the main franchise.

Looking at the blizzcon early access stuff
    Looks like we might be getting starcraft stuff
    New shirt
    Maybe means a new game which with Microsoft taking over makes sense because they will want to use every IP

I would argue they should make a new Warcraft RTS, if only because Starcraft is also more or less done with. With how big Starcraft is to the E-sport scene Blizzard really should have a fresh game that brings people into that kind of game.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I would argue they should make a new Warcraft RTS, if only because Starcraft is also more or less done with. With how big Starcraft is to the E-sport scene Blizzard really should have a fresh game that brings people into that kind of game.
    They could do a warcraft 4 just in a different timeline than WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    Warcraft IV does not imply the end of WoW in any way. It could be a parallel story that could actually help to flesh out future lore. I am all for it.

I think that Warcraft IV will happen some day, and that is why I doubt that WoW would be renamed into Warcraft.
    How??

Wow takes place in the world... Any parallel tory that happens in warcraft 4 would be happening in wow.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Or maybe have Ghost actually release. Maybe.

Speaking of which. Isn't it time for a different kint of Diablo game?

StarCraft is an RTS with an unfinished shooter spinoff

WarCraft began as an RTS, had an unfinished adventure game, has an MMO for nearly 20 years now, a card game spinoff, and whatever Rumble counts as.

Meanwhile the Diablo franchise only has isometic action rpg games.

Also, if you guys think mmos are a dying breed, what makes you think an RTS is a good investment. Especially when the mmo Is already killing it.

Warcraft 4 is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Well Done Steak; 2023-10-16 at 03:20 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well Done Steak View Post
    How??

Wow takes place in the world... Any parallel tory that happens in warcraft 4 would be happening in wow.
    I mean it could be the warfront stories. or campaigns on AU Draenor between the Draenei and the Iron Horde. Or all the battles against the Legion while we were busy with Order Hall stuff.
    Or literally anything that doesn't work well as an MMO.

Hell it would even be interesting to go through all the expansion stories with actual lore characters doing the stuff players did. Same way Varian did the Onyxia's Lair attunement quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Revamp Man View Post
    They could do a warcraft 4 just in a different timeline than WoW
    crazy idea, they could make an RTS telling a "canon" story of world of warcraft but from different perspectives.

Example: some missions during wrath could tell the story from the forsaken pov then humans for cataclysm and orcs for pandaria and so on. You wouldn't get a race based campaign but more races throughout a signgle campaign. Then you get all the races in online mode or skirmish or whatever

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, if you guys think mmos are a dying breed, what makes you think an RTS is a good investment. Especially when the mmo I'd already killing it.

In 2021 Microsoft studio release Age of Empires 4. I don't think they would be against Blizzard RTS sequel. Isometric cRPGs were supposed to be a dying bread, and then came BG3 (and many others before). And SC and WC brands are still huge.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I mean it could be the warfront stories. or campaigns on AU Draenor between the Draenei and the Iron Horde. Or all the battles against the Legion while we were busy with Order Hall stuff.
    Or literally anything that doesn't work well as an MMO.

Hell it would even be interesting to go through all the expansion stories with actual lore characters doing the stuff players did. Same way Varian did the Onyxia's Lair attunement quest.
    So then PAST stories that didn't see light in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah with MoP someone had found the trademark a lot of time in advance and most people just did not believe it and thought it might be a different type of game.
    And then that reveal video at Blizzcon was not exactly exciting so we didn't have any idea what to expect out of it. Though at the end of the day MoP was good because it had exceptional gameplay (most specs played great in MoP) and very solid content (many options for advancement outside raids plus fairly decent raids especially with ToT and SoO)
    You may have liked it, but the expansion only lost net subs over its entire course.

5+ Year Old Account
    Also, if you guys think mmos are a dying breed, what makes you think an RTS is a good investment. Especially when the mmo Is already killing it.

A lot of publishers asked the same thing about a single player RPG with no battle pass or any of that crap. But BG3 is a blast. There is no reason to assume an RTS can't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Revamp Man View Post
    Looking at the blizzcon early access stuff
    Looks like we might be getting starcraft stuff
    New shirt
    Maybe means a new game which with Microsoft taking over makes sense because they will want to use every IP
    What Blizzcon Early access stuff?

5+ Year Old Account
    So then PAST stories that didn't see light in wow.
    Pretty much, yes. Altough I'm not sure why you need to write in all caps as if this is some huge gotcha moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matijwow View Post
    You may have liked it, but the expansion only lost net subs over its entire course.
    I think a lot of people left at the beginning of the expansion because they didn't like the idea of a Pandaren expansion. For those who stayed and played it, it seems to be generally regarded as one of the best expansions for WoW.
    Cosmic greetings, all, I'm the Raccoonatic Commander!
    Leowyld of Emerald Dream-US

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matijwow View Post
    Yeah a lot of people only learned how good we had it in MoP in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Or maybe have Ghost actually release. Maybe.

Speaking of which. Isn't it time for a different kint of Diablo game?

StarCraft is an RTS with an unfinished shooter spinoff

WarCraft began as an RTS, had an unfinished adventure game, has an MMO for nearly 20 years now, a card game spinoff, and whatever Rumble counts as.

Meanwhile the Diablo franchise only has isometic action rpg games.
    D4 was supposed to be a Dark Souls kind of game. Which honestly, would have been a thousand times better. Shame that they do not do single player games anymore. ARPG's need to evolve IMO. Just getting better gear is getting old. I do still hope that they would make a Diablo Souls like game.

Starcraft is perfect for a cool FPS, and they can literally do anything with Warcraft.

I hope that we start to see more non-mobile games.

How??

Pretty easy IMO. We have been off Kalimdor and The Eastern Kingdoms forever. Just develop some stories there in Warcraft IV that justifies and fleshes out the world revamp that we know that is coming. They can also make a campaign about Yrel's Holy Crusade and stop right before she is coming to Azeroth, then the tell the rest of the story in WoW. Same with the remnants of the Legion.

Possibilities are endless for a Warcraft IV IMO.
    Last edited by Darkarath; 2023-10-16 at 03:33 PM.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.