1. #66581
    Brewmaster doledippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    The wrath dungeons didn't age well imo, and I think Cata may be their benchmark graphically.

    Monastery would fit but looks kind of dated as well. Maybe a klaxxi dungeon?
    yeah thats where im kinda torn. thematically many of the wrath dungeons fit super well into 11.0s story and narrative, but like you said theyre also incredibly dated. and we havnt seen them go back to wrath dungeons

  2. #66582
    Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    random off topic but what are we thinking will be the "seasonal flavor" dungeon(s) in the mythic+ dungeon pool for 11.0? seems like every season of DF has had 1 or 2 flavorful dungeons to reinforce the season theme. think neltharians lair for season 2 , everbloom / darkheart thicket for season 3, etc.

    spicy take but i think a lot of the wrath dungeons make sense. ahn'kahet , azjol-nerub, halls of stone (earthen origin lore). I could also see stonecore
    WotLK might be a bridge too far, though maybe, given they are already updating a whole ton of related assets.

    Shrine of the Storm for the Old God connection seems likely, though might also come later when it's even more relevant. Some SL dungeons simply because it's been so long since we had them, though again, maybe later in TWW.
    The Cata Dwarf dungeons sound like a good bet to me. Both Grim Batol and the other one in Blackrock Mountain whose name escapes me. Which in turn might mean the WoD version of Upper Blackrock Spire as well, even more so if that means Blizzard only wants to have a single portal to Blackrock Mountain.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  3. #66583
    The Insane Raetary's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Base Camp
    Posts
    19,298
    Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    random off topic but what are we thinking will be the "seasonal flavor" dungeon(s) in the mythic+ dungeon pool for 11.0? seems like every season of DF has had 1 or 2 flavorful dungeons to reinforce the season theme. think neltharians lair for season 2 , everbloom / darkheart thicket for season 3, etc.

    spicy take but i think a lot of the wrath dungeons make sense. ahn'kahet , azjol-nerub, halls of stone (earthen origin lore). I could also see stonecore
    For Season 1 i could see Scarlet Halls/Monastery or Grim Batol/Blackrock Caverns.

    And While an Ulduar dungeon would be fitting, i doubt Blizzard will use anything past cataclysm.
    Wrath dungeons are just too old, graphically as well as design-wise.


    Formerly known as Arafal

  4. #66584
    Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    yeah thats where im kinda torn. thematically many of the wrath dungeons fit super well into 11.0s story and narrative, but like you said theyre also incredibly dated. and we havnt seen them go back to wrath dungeons
    They might also want to hold them back and remake them fully in TLT. Not because they wouldn't be relevant or because it's so close to happening. But because they might want to go through the rest of the Mythic dungeon pool as well.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  5. #66585
    Brewmaster doledippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,288
    i went looking from vanilla to shadowlands at all the dungeons and only a few outside of wrath really match the theme as well as the DF ones have for their respective seasons. agreed with the point that theyre super outdated, so im curious if theyll take a leap with wrath dungeons or settle for a more mild thematic fit

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    They might also want to hold them back and remake them fully in TLT. Not because they wouldn't be relevant or because it's so close to happening. But because they might want to go through the rest of the Mythic dungeon pool as well.
    thats also a good point i didnt consider

  6. #66586
    Quote Originally Posted by Raetary View Post
    For Season 1 i could see Scarlet Halls/Monastery or Grim Batol/Blackrock Caverns.

    And While an Ulduar dungeon would be fitting, i doubt Blizzard will use anything past cataclysm.
    Wrath dungeons are just too old, graphically as well as design-wise.
    Scarlet Halls is something I would assume would show up in 11.1 instead, assuming my prediction is correct and we get either a raid or megadungeon in Hallowfall that patch.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  7. #66587
    Brewmaster doledippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2023
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,288
    if 11.1 turns out to be the undermine id be willing to bet that we're gonna see THE MOTHERLODE as a m+ dungeon

  8. #66588
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrif View Post
    the mantid dungeons from MoP could still fit with the nerubian theme
    That does sound like a safe bet. Old God is a bit too vague compared to the Aqir connection. And they might want to hold back some of the more overtly Old God dungeons like Shrine of the Storm for Midnight.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    i went looking from vanilla to shadowlands at all the dungeons and only a few outside of wrath really match the theme as well as the DF ones have for their respective seasons. agreed with the point that theyre super outdated, so im curious if theyll take a leap with wrath dungeons or settle for a more mild thematic fit
    WotLK dungeons might be a step too far in general unless the dungeon is already more modern in design. Throne of the Tides is already all but a new dungeon, and WotLK encounters would need even more changes to work.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  9. #66589
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrif View Post
    the mantid dungeons from MoP could still fit with the nerubian theme
    Agree but do not know if they will introduce them in Season 1, as we will do them quite a bit in MoP Remix.

    Also who are going to be the characters controlled by AI in Normal Dungeons? Thrall (Tank/DPS), Anduin (Healer) and Alleria (DPS)? Just curious.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.


  10. #66590
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    Agree but do not know if they will introduce them in Season 1, as we will do them quite a bit in MoP Remix.

    Also who are going to be the characters controlled by AI in Normal Dungeons? Thrall (Tank/DPS), Anduin (Healer) and Alleria (DPS)? Just curious.
    While true, we also have a Mantid raid in Timerunning, and the first raid in TWW will be the Nerubian raid, so I can absolutely see the need for a thematic link to M+ be more important than if it was used in Timerunning.


    I want to say Brann was one of the NPCs, so probably Explorers league characters. Maybe holdovers from the Explorer faction in DF as well.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  11. #66591
    While I tend to agree that Wrath dungeons are just a little too outdated graphically to be likely M+ candidates, there are quite a few that I think wouldn't be any harder to update into good M+ mechanics wise than the cata stuff we've seen. Probably easier than throne of tides and its elevator/teleport shenanigans that got changed.

    HoL has a pretty great layout and decent boss cadence for M+. Even tho its technically linear overall, lots of sections have options of which mobs to pull to get through the room.
    Ahn'kahet is similar imo.
    Pit of Saron I think would also be excellent as an M+. Was the best dungeon of wrath already imo and has great pacing for M+.

    I'm with Sondrelk tho in that I think theyll do at least a couple revamps of dungeons from wrath in TLT and theyll hold off on M+ of any potential wrath dungeons till then. If they wanted to get crazy they could graphically update/full revamp most of them and have basically 3 seasons worth of M+ dungeons good to go from launch, let alone whatever new stuff they invent.

  12. #66592
    The Lightbringer Lady Atia's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    WotLK might be a bridge too far, though maybe, given they are already updating a whole ton of related assets.

    Shrine of the Storm for the Old God connection seems likely, though might also come later when it's even more relevant. Some SL dungeons simply because it's been so long since we had them, though again, maybe later in TWW.
    The Cata Dwarf dungeons sound like a good bet to me. Both Grim Batol and the other one in Blackrock Mountain whose name escapes me. Which in turn might mean the WoD version of Upper Blackrock Spire as well, even more so if that means Blizzard only wants to have a single portal to Blackrock Mountain.
    If they give us the cata classic HD updates for retail than any wotlk/tbc dungeons are good to go as they already have to rework most old dungeons anyways.

    #TEAMGIRAFFE

  13. #66593
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    If they give us the cata classic HD updates for retail than any wotlk/tbc dungeons are good to go as they already have to rework most old dungeons anyways.
    Wasn't the HD update just for the character models?
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  14. #66594
    I hope they give us more dungeons during the course of the expansion so we don't end up with a season consisting mainly of old dungeons.

  15. #66595
    Brewmaster Enrif's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    Agree but do not know if they will introduce them in Season 1, as we will do them quite a bit in MoP Remix.
    Well, "doing" them in remix will by far not be the same, considering how overpowerd we will be for remix. Seeing a M+ version would be vastly different. And the connection of the Mantid following the orders of the dark heart (of Y'Shaarj) is a great reflection of the nerubians following Xal'atath with her artifact the Dark Heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If we somehow do get a void Hunter class, I’ll be the first one to post in this thread to admit my error.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    I mean, trying to worm out of the way it's the WORLDSOUL saga... yah. It's Azeroth reaching out, not some light fairy.

  16. #66596
    Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    theyd prob have to end up designing two different dungeons. not sure a sod dungeon would xfer over to m+ very well. that being said, if they were willing to do that, it could be interesting
    I'm sure it could transfer well if they designed it for it. Like, classic dungeon are generally bigger and more sprawling, so they could plan for some part of the dungeon to be innaccessible in an m+ setting.
    MMO Champs :

  17. #66597
    Ahnkahnet would actually go really well if they give it the Throne of Tides-treatment. It's already non-linear and obviously is a good thematic fit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Wasn't the HD update just for the character models?
    Nope, it's for everything.

    Here's our resident bird showing them off.

  18. #66598
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Seems to just be cleaned up textures though. So not really a comprehensive graphical update like what would make old dungeons look significantly different.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Ahnkahnet would actually go really well if they give it the Throne of Tides-treatment. It's already non-linear and obviously is a good thematic fit.
    It's possible for sure. Though I don't think they would significantly remake more than one dungeon at a time, and if we can only remake one then my money would more likely be on Grim Batol.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

  19. #66599
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Seems to just be cleaned up textures though. So not really a comprehensive graphical update like what would make old dungeons look significantly different.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It's possible for sure. Though I don't think they would significantly remake more than one dungeon at a time, and if we can only remake one then my money would more likely be on Grim Batol.
    I mean, it is literally an HD Update. All the textures have the seem resolution as current retail, and honestly, I think it'll make a big difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    It's possible for sure. Though I don't think they would significantly remake more than one dungeon at a time, and if we can only remake one then my money would more likely be on Grim Batol.
    I don't really see how Grim Batol is more likely than Ahnkahnet. Surely, it would have made more sense in Season 2 of DF or something like that.

  20. #66600
    I hope that we get something juicy from this alpha reveal, even if it's just the Arathi models. Hopefully a reveal of some more dragonriding options (Cloud Serpents please!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •