1. #8221
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecheon View Post
    Light invasion has been a vague chekov's gun waiting to be fired, but its defo a 'whenever there's nothing else around to drag out' type of thing they could drag out at any time.

    Nothing about ogres or arakkoa though, as much as I'd like to see the two make another appearance

    Aside from my own crazy 'let's go to the moon and meet/fight elune' theory that I acknowledge as basically unlikely at best, there's also all the Old God "They're lying to you" referenes that could lead to still extant Black Empire related stuff on backside of Azeroth or the like. Plus the 5th Old God got mentioned again in Deathwing's pages so they could bring them back, if G'huun isn't filling that role
    Feels like to me that a Light based expansion would be Blizzard’s “break glass in case of emergency” expansion similar to Legion.

    Illidan’s return(as his destiny is said to involve the Light greatly if X’era is to be believed), Scarlets, Yrel, Denathrius/Dreadlords, Turalyon possibly going bad with an antagonistic Alliance for a change.

    To me that seems like the next big epic expansion to be brought out when things are looking dire, like with Legion.

    I just can’t see us returning so soon to anything grand and cosmic in scale after how poorly Shadowlands was received, with Blizz acknowledging that.

  2. #8222
    Banned Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    29,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    Based off what evidence in game?
    In BFA with the Mag'har Orc quest line where Yrel first appears as an antagonist.
    During Shadowlands, Yrel's BNET avatar popped up among other BNET avatars which were all Shadowlands related except for hers.

    The general pattern is each expansion is hinted through various means in game, mostly subtle that make more sense in hindsight, but some a little more blatant like we saw with BfA leading into Shadowlands.

    What hints have you seen for Light invasion, Ogres and Arakkoa? From what I’ve seen in DF there hasn’t been any.

    The hints we have been getting in DF basically equate to the following:

    Avaloren
    World Revamp
    South Seas/Pirates
    Tel’Abim

    There’s nothing there to indicate otherwise at the moment so I’d be extremely surprised if it’s none of the above.
    Yeah, there's nothing we know of in DF yet, but then again it could be right under our nose and we just don't realize it. The most blatant hints for DF were two mechanical dragons, and only one of those dragons appeared in Shadowlands and it was a pet. The other popped up at the very end of BFA.

    Also there's nothing to say that Yrel's light invasion wouldn't incorporate Avaloren or the world revamp.

    There's also the small fact that 2024 (11.0's release year) would be the 10th year anniversary of WoD.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-06-28 at 01:42 PM.

  3. #8223
    As much as Avaloren sounds enticing for the setting a new expansion on Azeroth, it also sounds very appropriate as the final setting for a traditional fantasy expansion about dragons. I don't think it gets more traditional or grounded in fantasy than something based off Avalon.

  4. #8224
    Banned Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    29,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    ya I think it’s likely we’ll see a lot more Titan stuff likely in the last patch and I’d be surprised if we didn’t get some character over lap between it and hearthstone like with some watchers or other Titan constructs.

    Hell if they wanted to go all out they could put away some hidden Titan scanner that took 20 thousand years to find any thing and make the hearthstone titans canon but still a sleep like Azeroth some where in the universe.
    Yeah, I could also see a Titan expansion down the line where we explore a titan land mass of some type. In such an expansion, I could see the major lore characters being Brann Bronzebeard and the League of Explorers vs. Rafaam with us caught in the middle in an Indiana Jones type of adventure. New Class: Explorer.

    Beyond that, the idea of a full Titan expansion sounds incredibly boring.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    As much as Avaloren sounds enticing for the setting a new expansion on Azeroth, it also sounds very appropriate as the final setting for a traditional fantasy expansion about dragons. I don't think it gets more traditional or grounded in fantasy than something based off Avalon.
    This too. Very likely that Avaloren is a setting for 10.3, kind of like Argus, Mechagon/Nazjatar, or Zerith Mortis in previous expansions.

  5. #8225
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    Illidan’s return(as his destiny is said to involve the Light greatly if X’era is to be believed)
    I'd say that one died together with her when Illidan violently rejected his "destiny". Pretty sure it was just her fangirling about him anyway and he made plenty clear he won't have any of that.

  6. #8226
    High Overlord RahEndymion's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Location
    Segmentum Solar
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    In BFA with the Mag'har Orc quest line where Yrel first appears as an antagonist.
    During Shadowlands, Yrel's BNET avatar popped up among other BNET avatars which were all Shadowlands related except for hers.



    Yeah, there's nothing we know of in DF yet, but then again it could be right under our nose and we just don't realize it. The most blatant hints for DF were two mechanical dragons, and only one of those dragons appeared in Shadowlands and it was a pet. The other popped up at the very end of BFA.

    Also there's nothing to say that Yrel's light invasion wouldn't incorporate Avaloren or the world revamp.

    There's also the small fact that 2024 (11.0's release year) would be the 10th year anniversary of WoD.
    Did you forget the literal Pirate Dragon Timecap'n Hooktail in Tazavesh?

  7. #8227
    Banned Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    29,984
    Quote Originally Posted by RahEndymion View Post
    Did you forget the literal Pirate Dragon Timecap'n Hooktail in Tazavesh?
    Yes I did actually, thank you for the reminder.

    I do wonder if we'll get a next expansion hint in the upcoming mega dungeon.

  8. #8228
    This is not an invitation to turn this into a classic discussion or talk about classic at all, but because we like looking at official Blizzard logos in regards to comparing it to fake future leaks, here's a bit of a special edition logo.

    Click-y for link to the press site with the 6600 x 5400 version.

    Last edited by Marlamin; 2023-06-28 at 05:33 PM.

  9. #8229
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'd say that one died together with her when Illidan violently rejected his "destiny". Pretty sure it was just her fangirling about him anyway and he made plenty clear he won't have any of that.
    I suppose Yrel and AU X’era reason for invading our Azeroth would be to find Illidan and forcibly attempt to convert him to the Light.

    It could also play into “the Light has made a bargain with the enemy of all”. They could attack the Seat of the Pantheon to capture Illidan, freeing Sargeras in the process.

    I don’t think Illidan would willingly join the Light. But a situation where X’era is completely hung up on him and is determined to convert him no matter what the cost could definitely be a possibility.

  10. #8230
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    I suppose Yrel and AU X’era reason for invading our Azeroth would be to find Illidan and forcibly attempt to convert him to the Light.

    It could also play into “the Light has made a bargain with the enemy of all”. They could attack the Seat of the Pantheon to capture Illidan, freeing Sargeras in the process.

    I don’t think Illidan would willingly join the Light. But a situation where X’era is completely hung up on him and is determined to convert him no matter what the cost could definitely be a possibility.
    Could be funny if their main reason for attacking was Xe'ra's fangirl obsession with Illidan rather than anything more tangible... especially if most of them don't know that. I.e. she just told them stories of a "great purpose" etc..

  11. #8231
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    Imagine living in a headspace where any of this even mentally registers for you at all, let alone as problematic.
    It is quite obvious and on the nose.
    Will this mean there is titan content on the horizon? Maybe, maybe not. They've introduced some stuff from HS, but still Avaloren would be nothing more than a patch zone

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    This is not an invitation to turn this into a classic discussion or talk about classic at all, but because we like looking at official Blizzard logos in regards to comparing it to fake future leaks, here's a bit of a special edition logo.

    Click-y for link to the press site with the 6600 x 5400 version.

    Perfect color scheme for Shadowlands 2: Electric wrath of the Bolvar

  12. #8232
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    This is not an invitation to turn this into a classic discussion or talk about classic at all, but because we like looking at official Blizzard logos in regards to comparing it to fake future leaks, here's a bit of a special edition logo.
    This is largely out the window now, btw.

    When looking at the Dragonflight logo from that initial Alex leak, I pointed out that it has a lot of things that don't really match the things that a wow logo has, but that it was a good example of what the logo might look like if they decided to go in a new direction. Since that was obviously the case, we now don't really have any sort of baseline to compare logos against.

    Of course, low quality fakes will still be easy to spot (especially since a lot of people aren't going to put 2 and 2 together and realize that a hypothetical logo should build on the DF one, so there will be fakes circulating that still use the old style) but 11.0's logo could be just as large a departure from DF as DF was from all previous logos. Their new thing might be to make every individual expansion logo significantly more unique, so a lot of the things that made high quality fakes still questionable in the past aren't gonna hold up this time around.

  13. #8233
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'd say that one died together with her when Illidan violently rejected his "destiny". Pretty sure it was just her fangirling about him anyway and he made plenty clear he won't have any of that.
    Humor me here
    Him killing her was part of his destiny
    He rejected the power that took away his free will but that doesn't mean he won't have lightforged powers.

    Imagine if his constant battle with sargeras allowed him to atleast partially obtain the power of light as Sargeras slowly loses his fel powers and also returns to his previous form.

    This would allow us a light invasion but with a heavy hitter on our side

  14. #8234
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    This is not an invitation to turn this into a classic discussion or talk about classic at all, but because we like looking at official Blizzard logos in regards to comparing it to fake future leaks, here's a bit of a special edition logo.
    Nice logo.

    I hope someone makes an HD version of the Awakenings logo, just to add more fuel to the fire:

    Last edited by Luck4; 2023-06-28 at 07:54 PM.

  15. #8235
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Man View Post
    Humor me here
    Him killing her was part of his destiny
    He rejected the power that took away his free will but that doesn't mean he won't have lightforged powers.

    Imagine if his constant battle with sargeras allowed him to atleast partially obtain the power of light as Sargeras slowly loses his fel powers and also returns to his previous form.

    This would allow us a light invasion but with a heavy hitter on our side
    God. I think the only way you could possibly make a light-based expansion less appealing to me is to throw Illidan back in as a main character on the player's side.

  16. #8236
    Banned Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    29,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    I suppose Yrel and AU X’era reason for invading our Azeroth would be to find Illidan and forcibly attempt to convert him to the Light.

    It could also play into “the Light has made a bargain with the enemy of all”. They could attack the Seat of the Pantheon to capture Illidan, freeing Sargeras in the process.

    I don’t think Illidan would willingly join the Light. But a situation where X’era is completely hung up on him and is determined to convert him no matter what the cost could definitely be a possibility.
    That’s getting a bit ridiculous. A much more possible reason could be that the Lightbound want to forcibly convert the champions of Azeroth into their army, and if we resist, they’re going to try to destroy us because they can’t risk us going to the void.

    It would test the factions because there are those in both the alliance and the horde predisposed to trusting the light unequivocally, and view the void as a legitimate, inevitable threat. Even deeper than that, Turalyon and the Draenei would be more susceptible to Yrel’s whims, while the Orcs and the Mag’har would be far more wary and prone to fighting back.

    As a game, I believe it would be a good idea to have a light-based antagonist, just to show that we’re dealing with forces that aren’t universally good or universally evil.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-06-28 at 07:59 PM.

  17. #8237
    Yeah I don't see a "we need to recruit Illidan" thing being the reason, more simple that they want to unite everyone under the Light. I mean that's pretty much their reason in AU Draenor anyway.

    Then maybe factor in Illidan killing main universe X'era too. They wouldn't be happy to hear about that, I'm sure.

  18. #8238
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Man View Post
    Humor me here
    No. That'd just be a giant ass-pull with absolutely no rhyme or reason to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Yeah I don't see a "we need to recruit Illidan" thing being the reason, more simple that they want to unite everyone under the Light. I mean that's pretty much their reason in AU Draenor anyway.

    Then maybe factor in Illidan killing main universe X'era too. They wouldn't be happy to hear about that, I'm sure.
    I mean, it would fit for Xe'ra specificially. Her fangirling about him was rather ridiculous from the start. For the rest, though, not so much.

  19. #8239
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Yeah I don't see a "we need to recruit Illidan" thing being the reason, more simple that they want to unite everyone under the Light. I mean that's pretty much their reason in AU Draenor anyway.

    Then maybe factor in Illidan killing main universe X'era too. They wouldn't be happy to hear about that, I'm sure.
    It would fit in with Xe’ra’s obsession with Illidan, as Huth said. It bears remembering that MU Xe’ra’s entire story arc in Legion revolved around her obsession with Legion. Her motivation felt more about converting Illidan to her side as her primary goal, over defeating the Legion.

    I don’t think it’s a certainty that Illidan would play a major role in a Light based expansion. But it’s important to remember during the Legion story, a big part of Illidan’s development was his alleged connection to the Light, his apparent destiny involving the Light, and ultimately him rejecting the Light. And given what we know now about the Light, or rather suspect, those who represent it won’t be all too pleased to see who is perceived to be their potential greatest champion, completely turn his back on it. To top things off, the literal Lightmother of the Naaru has an unhealthy, hostile obsession with him.

    That particular story thread is still there to be explored if Blizz choose to, and I don’t think we should quite dismiss it yet.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    That’s getting a bit ridiculous. A much more possible reason could be that the Lightbound want to forcibly convert the champions of Azeroth into their army, and if we resist, they’re going to try to destroy us because they can’t risk us going to the void.

    It would test the factions because there are those in both the alliance and the horde predisposed to trusting the light unequivocally, and view the void as a legitimate, inevitable threat. Even deeper than that, Turalyon and the Draenei would be more susceptible to Yrel’s whims, while the Orcs and the Mag’har would be far more wary and prone to fighting back.

    As a game, I believe it would be a good idea to have a light-based antagonist, just to show that we’re dealing with forces that aren’t universally good or universally evil.
    Well, the Lightbound invasion could happen for both reasons. Yrel wants to forcibly convert the denizens of Azeroth. Xe’ra wants to convert the denizens of Azeroth, but it could be a two bird one stone situation as she continues to pursue her obsession with Illidan. I think it could make for an interesting story, and one more slightly different than what we are expecting. Rather than just having Xe’ra completely focused on converting all folk to the Light, it would make for a refreshing change to have her just be completely unhinged and obsessed with Illidan, wanting to convert him by any means necessary and using the Lightbound as a means to that end. It could also create an interesting schism at some point between Yrel and Xe’ra.

    Do I think that’s what Blizz will go with? Probably not. I expect and wouldn’t mind a Light based expansion following the below pattern or something similar:

    11.0 - Light invades, wins Stormwind to their cause. Invades Lordaeron and Quel’thalas. Raid is either a revamped Sunwell or repurposed Deatholme in the Ghostlands. Lightholme?

    11.1 - Lightbound lead an assault on Azuremyst and Bloodmyst. Raid is Defence of The Exodar.

    11.2 - We push the Light back to Stormwind. Elwynn, Westfall, Duskwood and Redridge become daily hubs. Raid is Siege of Stormwind

    Mega Dungeon - I have no idea someone jump in here. Possibly Scarlet Monastery. Alternatively could be Temple of Karabor if we head to Draenor sooner.

    11.3 - We push the Light back to AU Draenor. We land in Farahlon which homes the last remaining bastion of Orcs from AU Draenor. A war campaign leading us from Farahlon to Talador ensues. Raid is Shattrath City.

    But I could also see a heavy Illidan story taking place considering what we know. I think both possible story paths have merit.

  20. #8240
    Quote Originally Posted by Santandame View Post
    Well, the Lightbound invasion could happen for both reasons. Yrel wants to forcibly convert the denizens of Azeroth. Xe’ra wants to convert the denizens of Azeroth, but it could be a two bird one stone situation as she continues to pursue her obsession with Illidan. I think it could make for an interesting story, and one more slightly different than what we are expecting. Rather than just having Xe’ra completely focused on converting all folk to the Light, it would make for a refreshing change to have her just be completely unhinged and obsessed with Illidan, wanting to convert him by any means necessary and using the Lightbound as a means to that end. It could also create an interesting schism at some point between Yrel and Xe’ra.
    You could even have that conflict of interests be our in to defeating the invasion, with Xe'ra constantly diverting critical resources to her obsession and growing dissent in leadership about what path to follow. Something especially confusing to Light-aligned forces with their One Way dogma.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •