1. #14421
    The Undying Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    30,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Pirate settlements aren't cities like Boralus or settlements around Tiragarde Sound or Stormsong Valley. They're more akin to something like Booty Bay than anything.


    No, it doesn't prove that at all. You're saying that the pirate/nautical theme is not strong enough to support an expansion... because it was never the focus of an expansion. That's like saying the technology theme is not strong enough to support an expansion because it was never the focus of an expansion.
    This has already been thoroughly discussed, so there’s no need to rehash it again. The point is that an expansion based on pirates, Azshara, and an old god would be a rehash of BFA.

  2. #14422
    After watching the newest patch cinematic, I'm thinking Vyranoth goes against Iridikron and Fyrakk in the end in favor of Alexstraza and Azeroth. I'm thinking about the datatmined White dragon scales for the mounts with no apparent source yet. What if Tyr gets revived and Vyranoth accepts the titan gifts and transforms into the White Dragonflight Aspect? (White dragons in D&D are cold aligned, so it could make sense.) We do not know her personal motives yet, but the alluded friendship she had with Alexstrazas definitely hints at something more from her.

    We also have that suspiciously empty spot on the seat of the aspects that could suggest one more spot for banners and a dragon to sit to the left of Alexstrazas. I would guess that Vyranoth and the White Dragonflight could preside over the Elemental Planes and have an aquatic theme since we do not have that aesthetic yet for the Dragons.

    /tinfoil hat

  3. #14423
    The Unstoppable Force Ielenia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    22,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    This has already been thoroughly discussed, so there’s no need to rehash it again. The point is that an expansion based on pirates, Azshara, and an old god would be a rehash of BFA.
    Why would it be? BfA was not a pirate expansion. It's not the central theme of the expansion, much like Old Gods were not the central theme of Wrath.

    And even if we grant you that 'pirates' were BfA's central theme, what you're doing here is akin to saying we can't have another expansion based on demons because we had TBC. Or an expansion based on death because we had Wrath. And yet we got Legion and Shadowlands.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

  4. #14424
    The Undying Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    30,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Why would it be? BfA was not a pirate expansion. It's not the central theme of the expansion, much like Old Gods were not the central theme of Wrath.

    Horde and Alliance meets with a seafaring people with a powerful navy (Kul’Tiras, Zandalar). Horde and Alliance go throughout their lands to solve their problems while experiencing their seafaring culture (8.0-8.1). Horde and Alliance encounter Azshara and beat her and discover someone else pulling her strings(8.2). Horde and Alliance encounter the old god mastermind and beat them (8.3). Additional features is hopping around islands looking for treasure (Island Expeditions).

    Only thing omitted is the faction war.

    And even if we grant you that 'pirates' were BfA's central theme, what you're doing here is akin to saying we can't have another expansion based on demons because we had TBC. Or an expansion based on death because we had Wrath. And yet we got Legion and Shadowlands.
    Legion worked because a Burning Legion invasion was inevitable, and TBC really didn’t cover it.

    Shadowlands probably shouldn’t have happened though.

  5. #14425
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    This has already been thoroughly discussed, so there’s no need to rehash it again. The point is that an expansion based on pirates, Azshara, and an old god would be a rehash of BFA.
    And it's been concluded that you're full of it and your point has no merit, yes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Horde and Alliance meets with a seafaring people with a powerful navy (Kul’Tiras, Zandalar).
    Zandalar has a powerful navy, but no seafaring culture whatsoever. The navy seems to be almost entirely limited to protecting the lands of Zandalar. Their ships never move away from it during the entire expansion.

    If you have to keep making shit up to support your argument, your argument sucks.

  6. #14426
    The Undying Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    30,298
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And it's been concluded that you're full of it and your point has no merit, yes.
    More like I don’t want to bring up this silly issue again when it’s a rather minor point overall.

    Zandalar has a powerful navy, but no seafaring culture whatsoever. The navy seems to be almost entirely limited to protecting the lands of Zandalar. Their ships never move away from it during the entire expansion.

    If you have to keep making shit up to support your argument, your argument sucks.
    And here we go splitting hairs again. Zandalar not being as sea-based as Kul’Tiras doesn’t negate the overall point being made.

  7. #14427
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    And here we go splitting hairs again. Zandalar not being as sea-based as Kul’Tiras doesn’t negate the overall point being made.
    Yes, it does. Your claim is incorrect in its basic assumptions. That renders your conclusions irrelevant, since they don't actually follow from the premises.

    That's not splitting hairs. That's pointing out major faults in your argument.

  8. #14428
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    This has already been thoroughly discussed, so there’s no need to rehash it again. The point is that an expansion based on pirates, Azshara, and an old god would be a rehash of BFA.
    Then zealot faction showing up to Azeroth to force there ways on the people of Azeroth has been done over multiple times an it’s just a different paint. Wotlk had lich king trying to turn us into undead . Iron horde trying to turn into true horde it’s been done already just as much as a pirate expansion

  9. #14429
    Quote Originally Posted by https://twitter.com/daveatano/status/1698096865944940887
    There's a lot of people who didn't understand what others meant by a return to Azeroth.

    People want to RETURN to OLD PLACES on AZEROTH. Mainly to rediscover the two places that they all fell in love with the game on.

    They don't want pirates. They want the World of Warcraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by https://twitter.com/Qwik/status/1698517913672573052
    No pirates.
    No pirates! (but still possibly maybe some pirates I guess but definitely not as a main theme similar to DF?)

  10. #14430
    The Undying Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    30,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    No pirates! (but still possibly maybe some pirates I guess but definitely not as a main theme similar to DF?)
    Good. That ends that nonsense. Now we can get to some real discussion.

  11. #14431
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Good. That ends that nonsense. Now we can get to some real discussion.
    As long as "real discussion" is not like the last few pages, sure, yeah.

  12. #14432
    The Undying Teriz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soul of Azeroth
    Posts
    30,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    As long as "real discussion" is not like the last few pages, sure, yeah.
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if tens of voices wanting a pirate expansion suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something wonderful has happened.

    In all seriousness, I'm very happy that 11.0 won't be a pirate expansion.

  13. #14433
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if tens of voices wanting a pirate expansion suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something wonderful has happened.

    In all seriousness, I'm very happy that 11.0 won't be a pirate expansion.
    Yep, making way for that world revamp/void/space/multiverse/sword expansion! *runs away from impending doom*

    Cue the inevitable 10 pages back and forthing of "did he mean no pirates at all or some pirates because a world revamp would still have some pirates because it has pirates right now!!!".

  14. #14434
    Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    K’aresh
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    No pirates! (but still possibly maybe some pirates I guess but definitely not as a main theme similar to DF?)
    Inb4 “they’re sailors/seafarers not pirates”
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

  15. #14435
    i bid farewell to the port and the land
    as i travel away from my kingdoms safe land
    to search for long ago forgotten friends
    to search for the place titan secrets end

    i fear not the weather
    i fear not the sea
    for the lords of the ocean wil guide us safely

  16. #14436
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    i bid farewell to the port and the land
    as i travel away from my kingdoms safe land
    to search for long ago forgotten friends
    to search for the place titan secrets end

    i fear not the weather
    i fear not the sea
    for the lords of the ocean wil guide us safely
    I appreciate a poet, and all my friends do know it,
    But a poem needs more rhythm, else it hardly hits 'em.

    Try a stable meter to make the language flow;
    Despite the proof there otherwise, on your ship I'd gladly stow.
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2023-09-04 at 04:06 AM.
    "We will soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four."
    — G.K. Chesterton

    You'll believe it when you see it for yourself.

  17. #14437
    The Unstoppable Force Ielenia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    22,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Horde and Alliance meets with a seafaring people with a powerful navy (Kul’Tiras, Zandalar). Horde and Alliance go throughout their lands to solve their problems while experiencing their seafaring culture (8.0-8.1). Horde and Alliance encounter Azshara and beat her and discover someone else pulling her strings(8.2). Horde and Alliance encounter the old god mastermind and beat them (8.3). Additional features is hopping around islands looking for treasure (Island Expeditions).
    I couldn't help but notice that you did not mention "pirates" in your description of BfA even once. Which is the whole point I was trying to evidence here: BfA never was a "pirate-themed expansion". The expansion's main factions have navies =/= pirate theme. In fact, we almost didn't deal with pirates in BfA. Sure, the Horde had a little help from pirates to get a foothold in Tiragarde Sound, and Freehold was basically a pirate dungeon, but pirates weren't a big thing in BfA. They were minor arcs, at best.

    Old gods were a greater arc in Wrath than pirates were in BfA, because it happened through the first seasons with stuff about saronite and old god whispers, culminating in a big raid: Ulduar. The Emerald Nightmare was a greater arc in Legion than pirates were in BfA, because it was the whole main arc of the Val'sharah zone, had a dungeon AND a raid. The fact of the matter is this: BfA is not a "pirate-themed" expansion. It was a faction conflict expansion, that just happened to have their stage be between two seafaring nations.

    Shadowlands probably shouldn’t have happened though.
    But it did. Which is my point. Just because you have something in an expansion, it doesn't mean said something can't exist again in another expansion.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

  18. #14438
    Just "Pirates!" was never really a likely theme for the expansion, was it?

    Exploration / Conquistador/ Japan or South America/ Islands etc have some merit, but not outright Pirates.

    The only thing we "know" is that the Void and maybe the Elements will be important in the expansion, since it is the final part of the "Void" trilogy.

    It's also highly likely Thrall is back, as well as Queen Azshara and the Harbinger.

    A revamp is possible but not guaranteed.

    The location is anyone's guess. Old Azeroth? Avaloren? South Seas? Frigging space? We'll see.

    I do like the fact that Mike specifically chose to deny the Pirate speculation in a tweet that also talked about the Old World, and returning to it. I hope that means something.

  19. #14439
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldshaper View Post
    Just "Pirates!" was never really a likely theme for the expansion, was it?

    I do like the fact that Mike specifically chose to deny the Pirate speculation in a tweet that also talked about the Old World, and returning to it. I hope that means something.
    Hopefully. As for the pirates, the thing that sticks out at me about that is that he specifically said "no pirates" as opposed to "not pirates", which indicates to me an absence of pirates rather than that pirates are just the center stage, which is very odd given the Nightsquall build-up. Maybe he's planned for expansion after next, like how the Dragon Isles were foreshadowed in BfA and then came into play after Shadowlands?
    "We will soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four."
    — G.K. Chesterton

    You'll believe it when you see it for yourself.

  20. #14440
    A revamped azeroth is -probably- 11.0's main selling point, you dont spend 2 expansions adding assets in the background not to use them later.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •