I really doubt it and I feel like it would probably kill the fanbase for two years but there are enough different themes for an entirely underground expansion. Undermine is obvious, Khaz Algar dwarf zone, Uldaz for titan shit, Old God/Anub'arak type thing, etc.

I think more likely than that is a revamp with those being new zones. But if its literally only an underground continent we are definitely going maintenance mode.

We need an exciting theme, having an underground expansion right after Dragonflight would not excite people at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    I really doubt it and I feel like it would probably kill the fanbase for two years but there are enough different themes for an entirely underground expansion. Undermine is obvious, Khaz Algar dwarf zone, Uldaz for titan shit, Old God/Anub'arak type thing, etc.

I think more likely than that is a revamp with those being new zones. But if its literally only an underground continent we are definitely going maintenance mode.
    I dunno. Sounds very gimmicky, like having an expansion where every zone has a lake. Or every zone being set on a mountain.
    Sure it's possible, and I dont doubt you could have a lot of variety. But underground zones sounds to me more like the kind of thing you use for flavor as a singular zone among many.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is that Goblins have the science theme backing them up, so you can rather liberally apply that to an underground concept with different areas offering different environments that are totally based around the idea of Goblin science, greed, and industrialization. You also have multiple Goblin trade princes which could also influence the theme of a zone.

In short, if you want to do an underground expansion, basing it on the insanity and randomness of Goblins isn’t a bad idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Spending 2 years in a deep, dark cave does not sound even remotely appealing to me.
    Regardless of how varied the zone environments are.

Formerly known as Arafal

I don't think an Underworld expansion sounds strange at all, really. They've run out of "known" landmasses, and Avaloren or whatever's on the other side of Azeroth probably isn't until 12.0 anyway.

Hear me out:

• Queen Azshara assaults Azeroth, while the Harbinger is busy reaching the world-soul. So it's dangerous up above, but it's more of an emergency down below. Unless we stop her, Azeroth is lost.
    • The underworld is an enormous world, hidden below Azeroth. There is so much Azerite everywhere, it glows in a radiant blue and yellow as if there was a sky and a sun. There might be a world-soul chamber in the middle, Uldaz?
    • In different corners of the underworld, or in even more remote caves that are connected with it, we'll find various things referenced in the lore. Such as Khaz Algar (Sector AR-938) and perhaps even the Magnetic Chasm below the Molten Eternium Sea, where the Blingtrons are defending themselves in a war with iR-T0. We might also visit various Elemental Planes or something even more ancient. Like, the source of Elemental magic on Azeroth or something. Think "Emerald Dream vs Lifelands".
    • Themes down below are Old Gods, Earthen, Goblins and Gnomes, Machines, Elementals and stuff like that.
    • Obviously, this is where Thrall comes in. He'll be our connection to the Elements, and Azeroth's core.
    • The Dragon Aspects might be defending Azeroth up above, with the possible exception of maybe Ebyssian and perhaps Vyranoth who join us in the underworld.
    • There's room for all sorts of tinker stuff, like Goblins and Gnomes, Undermine, Gadgetzan, etc. It all depends on where our journey begins. Will there be some great gnomish machine we need to protect, as it digs ever deeper?

Now, for this to work, it really is essential that they've figured out a way to make it feel like you're not stuck in some cave. People get claustrophobic or depressed in dark and crowded places. There has to be something akin to trees, lakes, and rivers. The skydome has to feel in some way like a sky. Sure, in some places it can look all magical with gemstones that glisten and stuff. But there's gotta be some type of "extra" thing.
    Last edited by Worldshaper; 2023-09-19 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Spending 2 years in a deep, dark cave does not sound even remotely appealing to me.
    Regardless of how varied the zone environments are.
    It would have to be like the core world from Godzilla vs Kong where there's a fake sky. People couldn't even handle months of Zaralek.

Hopefully Towel is trolling because it's pretty awful news and smells like Filler Island 2.
    Last edited by Cheezits; 2023-09-19 at 09:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would have to be like the core world from Godzilla vs Kong where there's a fake sky. People couldn't even handle months of Zaralek.
    But then it would defeat the entire purpose of having an underground expansion, apart from saving space on world map.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    But then it would defeat the entire purpose of having an underground expansion, apart from saving space on world map.
    That's the only reason I could think of. Or some devs desperate to get Undermine in at any cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    We need an exciting theme, having an underground expansion right after Dragonflight would not excite people at all.
    I would have to agree with this, Zaralek caverns has been rated as unpopular and an expansion based on underground sounds ugh to me tbh x.x

It would probably be the first WoW expansion I would hard pass on unless it had amazing features and no Tinker does not interest me sadly as I find Goblins and Gnomes the most annoying races in the game tbh :/
    Last edited by Kiria; 2023-09-19 at 09:29 PM.

I don't want to believe it either, but Towel knows stuff and I don't know how to take his comment as anything but Underground.

"You guys are too focused ABOVE the water"

That and a Dwarf zone already foreshadowed.

10+ Year Old Account

Hopefully Towel is trolling because it's pretty awful news and smells like Filler Island 2.
    I highly doubt a goblin-controlled underground zone would be anything like Zaralek. You’re talking about an underground metropolis controlled by highly wealthy trade princes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    based around the idea of Goblin science, greed, and industrialization.
    All of that shares a single visual theme.

If an underground expansion was happening, it would take themes from various subterreanean fantasy themes as well as warcrafts own.
    Underdark and others, Dwarves, Titans, Nerubians and other insectoids, Fungi and elementals, etc.

Basing the entire continent on Goblins but with more money, Goblins but with more conveyor belts and Goblins but with extra Tesla coils, isn't gonna cut it.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    All of that shares a single visual theme.

If an underground expansion was happening, it would take themes from various subterreanean fantasy themes as well as warcrafts own.
    Underdark and others, Dwarves, Titans, Nerubians and other insectoids, Fungi and elementals, etc.

Basing the entire continent on Goblins but with more money, Goblins but with more conveyor belts and Goblins but with extra Tesla coils, isn't gonna cut it.
    Agreed, I can't see that sort of theme really pulling the masses back in, if anything people will see it and think naw.

Goblins and Gnomes are not a very favourable race on both factions and basing an expansion around them would result in low initial sales which is not what Goblin Kotick would agree to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebir95 View Post
    https://twitter.com/keyboardturn/sta...23137163104410

does anybody know what is she talking about?
    There was a leak where some of the court documents around the MS/Activision merger were leaked, but there wasn't really anything about Activision in there that wasn't already known from investor calls. It was largely about MS itself, the run up to the merger and past mergers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Could you elaborate on this clarification? Unless Blizzard specifically said “we’re never doing an undermine expansion”, it can’t be ruled out.
    They said that Goblins (and contextually, based on the question, Gnomes) inherently are comedic-relief characters, and while they are fine and a welcome change, they want their main characters and main narrative to be straight-laced and very serious.

Edit: And before you say "Things might have changed!", that interview is from last week.

I am scared for people's lack of imaginations. Khaz algar and undermine could easily be clear faction capitals an 'underground' expansion, though undermine has the potential to be awesome enough to stand alone as neutral.

As an example, hollow knight is a perfect example of a game set almost entirely underground and it feels amazing and has very distinct subzones and biomes. Yes an mmo is different, there's no reason that some zones could have areas above ground, or even just areas where we can see the sky above, or waterfalls and glowing caverns in the background I.e like the caverns of time.

Although people will complain, if we ever do get undermine in anyway. Gnomes and goblins deserve a very race specifically designed tinker hero class. Not like evokers, more like demon hunters.
    Last edited by Nibelheimy; 2023-09-19 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlamin View Post
    There was a leak where some of the court documents around the MS/Activision merger were leaked, but there wasn't really anything about Activision in there that wasn't already known from investor calls. It was largely about MS itself, the run up to the merger and past mergers.
    thanks. the way she worote that made it seem like those leaked documents also contained wow sub numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

on topic: if they really want to go underground, they better step up their game and make better zones than zaralek.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelheimy View Post
    I am scared for people's lack of imaginations. Khaz algar and undermine could easily be clear faction capitals an 'underground' expansion, though undermine has the potential to be awesome enough to stand alone as neutral.

As an example, hollow knight is a perfect example of a game set almost entirely underground and it feels amazing and has very distinct subzones and biomes. Yes an mmo is different, there's no reason that some zones could have areas above ground, or even just areas where we can see the sky above, or waterfalls and glowing caverns in the background I.e like the caverns of time.

Although people will complain, if we ever do get undermine in anyway. Gnomes and goblins deserve a very race specifically designed tinker hero class. Not like evokers, more like demon hunters.
    I understand what you mean by different biomes but the whole idea of an expansion called "Undermine" though, doesnt inspire interest, I know I wouldnt pre order for sure.