Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    But why would you do that if you can just continue in EK/Kalimdor thanks to the timeskip? Literally just retconning 20 years of WoW would be a way to kill the game lol.
    This.

You gain absolutely nothing by resetting the lore. Wowee, look, all those places you've already been and threats you've already beaten (some twice) are back and slightly different, what an exciting """"new"""" journey!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well Done Steak View Post
    Perhaps with a one boss raid with Murozond? Similar to ruby sanctum.

Themeing a fated season with the bronze/infinite flight makes perfect sense too
    Tbf, I would rather have a propper raid tier with Murozond down the line, and they also said that his story is done for now. Buuuut we got a new Murozond model that was only seen for a few seconds during the DotI cinematic, so who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    This.

You gain absolutely nothing by resetting the lore. Wowee, look, all those places you've already been and threats you've already beaten (some twice) are back and slightly different, what an exciting """"new"""" journey!
    Yeah, it works for stuff like Mortal Kombat .... for a MMO, not so much imo, until you go the Age of Sigmar route of totally changing everything, which is the opposide of what people want with WoW.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I don't mind a revamp, but I do think Cata dropped the ball because it was a full world revamp that had no future potential for growth. It just timestamped itself and became irrelevant.

If they do a world revamp, I really want them to create evergreen content out of it. Have certain things in the open world that can actually have relevance for the next few expansions, like seeding major questlines or zone and dungeon content that will be expanded slowly over the next 3-4 expansions. Or just have scaling open world content that literally treats the world as a giant Timeless Isle. We just need a reason to go back into the world, and Dragonriding already helps with some of that.
    Yeah, in my view a revamp might even be less likely now because the game gives you so many options for leveling that you don't need to experience the old zones at all. Instead of going through Elwynn Forest or Durator, you can level through any of WoW's 8 expansions instead, so a revamp isn't really needed. I could see them simply updating the look of buildings and landscapes instead.

But why would you do that if you can just continue in EK/Kalimdor thanks to the timeskip? Literally just retconning 20 years of WoW would be a way to kill the game lol.
    The timeskip was like what, 3 years?

Part of the problem, like Ion said, is that they've spent the lore and locations. It's not like they can bring back people like Varian, Arthas, or Sylvanas en masse. The Burning Legion is gone, the Old Gods are dead, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiShade View Post
    without resetting everything they could just get away with two timelines at the same time, and then we stabilize them into one timeline during the expac. we even got some allies from the Infinites to help, Nozdormu could even partially become Murozond to keep both timelines
    Maybe that could work as well, sort of like we brought some of Draenor with us. But I don't know. I think part of the allure for people is to literally go back and reset the lore, to start right where we were back then.

If we think about it, has World of Warcraft really improved Warcraft's lore over the past decade? Early on, it gave us some cool conclusions to a bunch of stories from Warcraft 3. It felt like a natural progression. But ever since, all it's really done is destroy the lore. Drain it. Rush through it. Demystify it. I honestly don't think Azeroth is a more charming place today than it was in 2008. We've got some cool features, better graphics and so on. We've experienced some neat things along the way. But fundamentally, the world of Azeroth has become a more boring place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    This.

Why would we retrace our footsteps in Classic+? If anything, they'd write the story differently. We might spend a few years on KA and EK, before heading out west or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LemonDemonGirl View Post
    World of Warcraft: Azeroth Reborn
    Goosebumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebir95 View Post
    it would be the most "elegant" way to do it. i don't think they're going to wait 2 more years to reset wow tho. if it happens, it's going to be through classic+
    The next expansion probably releases late summer though. So it's maybe 9-12 months away or so.

I realise they can do it through the Classic client and everything. It's just that I'm not sure if they'd find it wise to split the playerbase into two permanent ones, each playing different stories.

Classic today is like a little adventure people take for a few months, to relive some old memories. But then they return to retail. With Classic+, they probably wouldn't have a reason to return, ever. What's the benefit in that?

Wowhead is wrong btw, it's only 5 weeks of timewalking, not 6. So the new patch will prolly be on November the 1st, with the new raid 1-2 weeks after that (and after Blizzcon).
    I seriously doubt 10.2 would be 3 days after Blizzcon. It's more likely the 7th. But who knows?

Edit: I meant "before Blizzcon".
    Last edited by pacotaco; 2023-09-26 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldshaper View Post
    If we think about it, has World of Warcraft really improved Warcraft's lore over the past decade?
    Unpopular opinion but I's say yes. Mind you, it's my opinion, we all know the harm to the lore that's come from Shadowlands (and I'm one of the biggest fan of Shadowlands, I liked it so much I wouldn't have released it for fear of damaging it...). Jokes aside most of the WoW lore is in constant flux and can be salvaged one way or the other imho

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yeah, in my view a revamp might even be less likely now because the game gives you so many options for leveling that you don't need to experience the old zones at all. Instead of going through Elwynn Forest or Durator, you can level through any of WoW's 8 expansions instead, so a revamp isn't really needed. I could see them simply updating the look of buildings and landscapes instead.
    This 100%.

The entire point of Cata's revamp was to update the leveling experience at the time AND to allow flying in the old world. This is why we still got our "new continent' in the form of spread out zones.

Tolborad, Uldum, hyjal, deepholm, vash, Twilight highlands were essentially that.

Now we have the option to level up with the expansion of our choice.

So there really is no real purpose to update the entirety of Kal and EK cata style.

That being said, updating all the outdated models and assets with fresh HD versions is something that can be done to keep the game fresh, but that's something that can be, and has been, done over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    What about the Incarnates don't feel like WoW? What about Maldraxxus or Torghast doesn't feel like WoW? What about the fucking Zereths doesn't feel like WoW? Yes, I'm saying it, the First Ones stuff is very much Warcraft.
    dragonflight doesn't have the og wow vibe sorry. incarnates aside, it's too wholesome and cutesy

The Jailer, the Incarnates, the Realms of the Shadowlands, the areas of the Dragon Isles, etc were entirely new things, wot? Maybe they took from old concepts sure, but they themselves are new.

And sure, people have argued against those things, and I admit that the execution of SL in particular kinda sucked, but I don't think my arguments against some of the complaints are disingenuous at all. People legit state that the Shadowlands isn't "Warcraft" or that the Incarnates aren't "WoW", saying it's all too touchy feely or some shit like that, and I hate it.
    What on earth are you going on about? I never said they weren’t new. Do you even read peoples posts before responding?

You can hate people feeling that way but if the what we get in the Shadowlands doesn’t feel like “Warcraft” to people then that’s their prerogative. The reason for them complaining about those things isn’t because they’re new, which is what you were saying - which js disingenuous.

What about the Incarnates don't feel like WoW? What about Maldraxxus or Torghast doesn't feel like WoW? What about the fucking Zereths doesn't feel like WoW? Yes, I'm saying it, the First Ones stuff is very much Warcraft. Seriously, what about any of that doesn't feel like WoW?

Are we seriously saying that the narrative of unity being more common across WoWs timeline is against the idea of "Warcraft"? Cause unity has been the underlying narrative for ages now.
    Incarnates do fell like WoW.
    Maldraxxus and Torgahst are literally scourge 2.0 being Naxxramas/Plaguelands and Icecrown Citadel respectively.
    Whether Zereths or First Ones feel like WoW is quite debatable.

What about the Incarnates don't feel like WoW? What about Maldraxxus or Torghast doesn't feel like WoW? What about the fucking Zereths doesn't feel like WoW? Yes, I'm saying it, the First Ones stuff is very much Warcraft. Seriously, what about any of that doesn't feel like WoW?

Are we seriously saying that the narrative of unity being more common across WoWs timeline is against the idea of "Warcraft"? Cause unity has been the underlying narrative for ages now.
    No one has ever said that the Incarnates don’t feel like WoW. People have been criticising the atmosphere of Dragonflight, not it’s villains. The Incarnates aside from Vyranoth switching sides so quickly have been nothing but praised - Fyrakk especially.

Just like no one has ever said Maldraxus doesn’t feel like WoW. It’s been said numerous times at how similar to EPL that it at times felt like a direct copy and nothing really original. In fact, it’s the one Shadowlands zone that felt the most like classic Warcraft. The exact same with Torghast.

Why would we retrace our footsteps in Classic+? If anything, they'd write the story differently. We might spend a few years on KA and EK, before heading out west or something.
    Because rolling back time doesn't change when Arthas, or Deathwing, or the Legion show up?

If you're just regurgitating Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms as they were before and then ignoring all the threats and places you brought back by resetting to sail west, why are you bothering to reset shit at all? Just sail west now, when you don't have to come up for some absurdly convoluted reason for why everyone's just going to ignore Scourge invasions to go sailing.

"But they weren’t though, where are you getting that from?"

What did you mean by this then? That the Old Gods or so aren't early WoW? Cause that's wrong still.

- - - Updated - - -

"You can hate people feeling that way but if the what we get in the Shadowlands doesn’t feel like “Warcraft” to people then that’s their prerogative"

They're wrong then.

- - - Updated - - -

Believe it or not, the public opinion can be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

And in this case, it is.
    No that was in response to you saying that early in Warcraft’s development, you know, the mid to late 90’s, people were criticising the Legion, Old Gods and Scourge for not feeling like Warcraft; which was just plain wrong. Again, read posts through before responding.

No an OPINION cannot be wrong. By it’s very definition it cannot be wrong. You’re being extremely petulant.

Shadowlands talk... zzzzzzz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebir95 View Post
    dragonflight doesn't have the og wow vibe sorry. incarnates aside, it's too wholesome and cutesy
    A green, mountainous zone with lava sections where we try to restore Black and Red Dragnoflights, repel Primalists attack and take down giants that hunt dragons for sport. A green plains when we unite centaur clans and deal with the one that betrays them. A mostly snowy region when we restore Blue Dragonflight, fight with Primalists and deal with gnolls harassing walrus people. A capital region, where we have to deal with infiltrators and betrayers, literally moving through the corpses left from their attacks. A huge cavern with mole people, but also fire giants and a raid, where fucked up experiments were commenced. We also had an elemental caves raid, and dungeons. NONE of this shit "too wholesome and cutesy".

You were complaining about Niffen/Chromie. Is this why you have this wrong assumption? If DF is wholesome and cutesy, then wtf is MoP to you, with Pandaren fixation on food, drink and having a good time.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The timeskip was like what, 3 years?

Part of the problem, like Ion said, is that they've spent the lore and locations. It's not like they can bring back people like Varian, Arthas, or Sylvanas en masse. The Burning Legion is gone, the Old Gods are dead, and so on.

Maybe that could work as well, sort of like we brought some of Draenor with us. But I don't know. I think part of the allure for people is to literally go back and reset the lore, to start right where we were back then.

If we think about it, has World of Warcraft really improved Warcraft's lore over the past decade? Early on, it gave us some cool conclusions to a bunch of stories from Warcraft 3. It felt like a natural progression. But ever since, all it's really done is destroy the lore. Drain it. Rush through it. Demystify it. I honestly don't think Azeroth is a more charming place today than it was in 2008. We've got some cool features, better graphics and so on. We've experienced some neat things along the way. But fundamentally, the world of Azeroth has become a more boring place.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Goosebumps.

The next expansion probably releases late summer though. So it's maybe 9-12 months away or so.

I realise they can do it through the Classic client and everything. It's just that I'm not sure if they'd find it wise to split the playerbase into two permanent ones, each playing different stories.

Classic today is like a little adventure people take for a few months, to relive some old memories. But then they return to retail. With Classic+, they probably wouldn't have a reason to return, ever. What's the benefit in that?
    In Azeroth:
    - Emerald Dream
    - Undermine
    - The South Seas
    - Avaloren / The other side of the planet

Outside:
    - Nathreza
    - Karesh
    - The other planets explored in the Legion invasion portals
    - More planets referenced in SL

Quote Originally Posted by Well Done Steak View Post
    We know that 10.3 ends with 6 fully empowered aspects (incarnate for Vyr) via the blessing of the tree. We also know that Tyr's story ends as well with his resurrection.

How can this transition to 11.0?

Well Iri warned us of the harbinger and ancient Nzoth's whispers that highly imply Amridrassil's roots.
    Nah, I think the tree is symbolic for the the "rebirth" of Azeroth. I can't see them twisting the tree as a bad event again.

The tree city could be the first part of the revamp, or it could grow after the raid and they build the city in prepatch. But I think it's more of a thematic lead-in than "Iridikron uses the tree to do bad"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    Nah, I think the tree is symbolic for the the "rebirth" of Azeroth. I can't see them twisting the tree as a bad event again.

The tree city could be the first part of the revamp, or it could grow after the raid and they build the city in prepatch. But I think it's more of a thematic lead-in than "Iridikron uses the tree to do bad"

Black empire Nzoth vaguely implied the roots of something (Amridrassil because wtf else) will fuck shit up

And what is the og WoW vibe? Heavy metal Death stuff? Demon invasions?

Also, how is it too wholesome and cutesy? Cause we saved Nozdormu from a horrible fate? Because the Blue Dragonflight now has a proper future? Because the Black Dragonflight actually has a proper future now?
    the dracthyrs
    the way npcs talk
    the overfocus on npcs moping around and talking about their feelings
    chromie
    the forced "everything is gray"

the main plot might not be cutesy and wholesome but the rest is

tsk tsk

1.0.15 or just 1.0.B4?

i .imgur.com/19tAc31.png