Poll: Do you like Facebooks ads for Dragonflight?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    fuck no i dont like any ads

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    you think he was saying it's socially acceptable to "blind haters" and they are a "certain demographic"?
    Making fun of haters seems a lot more socially acceptable than excluding / making fun of people by other factors.
    Hence why i called those ads toxic positive, they're still ridiculing people but framing it as if they're better for it.

I don't exclude the possibility of a more sinister political meaning, but i'm not going there and reject the generalization (which the person i've quoted has engaged in) that any person who's being ridiculed by those ads holds these fringe views.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Or shows how gen X and Ys who who built World of Warcraft have been replaced by zoomers who have no appreciation for the true Warcraft and are perverting it.
    I'd actually be curious if it was none of the above, where Blizz is targeting the younger generations but it's actually the older generations who want the game.

More recently a survey came out about the demographic breakdown of fans of the MCU, and it showed the vast majority of the people who would call themselves MCU fans are actually in the older generations (even baby boomers were a really large portion). Smallest subsection of fans was the younger generation. The irony is that a lot of the social and political messaging that's been shoved into the MCU as of late targets the smallest subsection of fans they have. What's interesting to discuss is why. Are they trying to bring in the new generation at the expense of the older generation? Are they just pure idealogues who can't see past their own worldview? Are they somehow stupid and hate making more money, so they won't make content for their actual fans? While the answer gives important insight as to what they're actually thinking over at Marvel/Disney, they aren't the exclusive company to enact such practices.

I wouldn't be surprised if WoW falls into a similar issue where the game has been trending and designed toward a demographic that may not be the core fan base. Could end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy, where you 'weed out' your fanbase until the only ones left are the ones who align with your new ideals and design. Regardless, the ads themselves do have a veneer similar to a lot of advertising campaigns of major media outlets as of late, where you become antagonistic towards your established fans and attempt to pander to whom you wish were your fans but likely are not or never will be fans. This isn't to say Blizz specifically doesn't have people who care about the game and its direction, nor is it to say that all the criticisms came from actual fans or players. The problem is that the front face of Blizz (especially in light of their recent history) isn't in a position to attempt to be cheeky towards criticisms or joke about them... that's something you earn through your actions and established reputation. It's not a good idea to throw shade when you yourself are in such a weak position and have a poor reputation.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I've never wanted to play World of Warcraft less than after having suffered through these. Good lord. Can't fathom how these got ok'd.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Smallest subsection of fans was the younger generation. The irony is that a lot of the social and political messaging that's been shoved into the MCU as of late targets the smallest subsection of fans they have. What's interesting to discuss is why. Are they trying to bring in the new generation at the expense of the older generation?
    Will you people just give up on this shit? Wow, the MCU has gay people and mexicans and women that aren't housewives in it, stop with the "politics" disney. Why do you care so much that people who look slightly different to you are being featured in media? If it's confronting to you and feels like a "political statement" that people who are different to you so much as exist in the media you consume, perhaps you should take a moment to reflect on why you feel that way. The entire fucking world consists of people who are different to you, why is it political if those same people exist in movies?

The comic book characters some of you are crying here about "returning" to were literally designed as allegories for the shit half of you represent - the X-men are a parallel to the civil rights movement, for example. Consider that you might be remembering 40 years from now that you were the one ostracizing the "mutants" of today - and if you're comfortable with that, then consider yourself an adult with the mental faculties of a child.

Theyre fine. People are too sensitive.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

i reported the ads as bad influence on young children which could cause self human deformation to obtain a unnatural self image and could cause further escalation of global warming in Florida using my BOT accounts

7+ Year Old Account

Wink

I have "personal scores" with social networks and not only outside of game space (in terms of changes in game design). However, in general, given age (or rather total time spent in global network), my attitude towards "cancer of Internet community/content" will come down to criticizing use of ~high technologies by society, their popularization and downgrading to utilitarian/entertaining (and more manipulative, parasitic tendencies) functions... very rough and edgy criticism.
    I'd greatly limit scope of opportunities and "influence" of them, or would insist on issuing special permits licenses to use them, and only from a certain age *shrugs shoulders guiltily*
    As for ads... from professional point of view, I treat Internet advertising with restraint, but only if and only if it's minimally intrusive. In other words, it shouldn't interfere with receipt of main content of resource in any way and is designed for bored/wandering eyes, limiting its active function only if collecting statistics, rather than working, like effect of frightening surprise from horror films/games. Otherwise...

If question is about qualitative component of what is being discussed, then I haven't seen them and generally try to avoid anytime, since I'm extremely annoyed by current game's appearance.

ps. I think it makes no sense to clarify my position, given all of the above.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2022-12-07 at 05:13 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Hilariously bad take, considering how absolutely reviled the mohawk thing was at the time, and how it saw these exact same "game is dead, this is childish garbage" arguments.
    Hilariously bad take, considering how many people enjoyed the mohawk thing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    Some people are taking these way too seriously. They're incredibly light-hearted, zero effort, low heat roasts made purely in jest.
    Roasts? At whom? Themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    At this wonderful community and its treasure trove of amazing, totally based takes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    At people who think that a snappy tagline makes for a legitimate argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post
    i reported the ads as bad influence on young children which could cause self human deformation to obtain a unnatural self image and could cause further escalation of global warming in Florida using my BOT accounts
    That sounds like some extremist far-right or far-left shit.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Can see why they were deleted.

Probably not a good look to be condescending or smug when you're a developer who's released multiple train wrecks in recent years.
    You do know that the developers have nothing to do with those ads right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Blind haters, because those ads are basically a picture perfect example of toxic positivity, where any sense of negativity is met with ridicule.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole of an underlying political message, then i doubt Blizzard would've pulled those ads, considering the political leanings of some of their staff.
    Both sides do it, so let's stop with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    Good googly moogly these are dishearteningly awful.
    I`m not a fan of advertisements that come at the expense of it`s potential users.
    Potential users? They were from people already using and just complain all the time. Now they are made the get their feelings hurt because they got called out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    You do know that the developers have nothing to do with those ads right?
    I meant Blizzard as a game developer. Surely, you're not that dense unless its on purpose.

I meant Blizzard as a game developer. Surely, you're not that dense unless its on purpose.
    Even then, calling them "train wrecks" is your opinion, not fact. Every single one of those was highly profitable and thus considered a success, not a train wreck. This is a cae of th palyers can dish it out, but they cry when it it thrown back at them.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Even then, calling them "train wrecks" is your opinion, not fact. Every single one of those was highly profitable and thus considered a success, not a train wreck. This is a cae of th palyers can dish it out, but they cry when it it thrown back at them.
    Yes, it was an opinion. Just like yours its yours that a product is "successful" based off sales alone. If you want to call something like WarCraft III : Reforged a success, then idk. Congrats with your low standards.

Yes, it was an opinion. Just like yours its yours that a product is "successful" based off sales alone. If you want to call something like WarCraft III : Reforged a success, then idk. Congrats with your low standards.
    Why use an anomalous example as a rule? WC3R sucked but almost every other property Blizzard has released in the last 5 years has been a license to print money.

Mine wasn't an opinion. That is how Blizzard views success, as does any business. That is what they are in the business to do, make money.

ps Warcraft III didn't make money and wasn't profitable, I never called it a success. Don't put words into people's mouths. I was talking strictly WoW expansions which were all VERY profitable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Why use an anomalous example as a rule? WC3R sucked but almost every other property Blizzard has released in the last 5 years has been a license to print money.
    And he brought it up to claim I said it was a success when I never mentioned it. IT was a very bad attempt at a gotcha that failed miserably.

I think all the Warcraft ads have been a little cringey (although I don't think that was the word back then) but I also thought most were at least a little funny.

These are just terrible. Like why would you respond to the criticism of them looking like lizards by showing them looking like lizards. Put some shoulder armor on them to bulk them out. Make them look impressive. Also shoulda had an artist choose which customization options to show off cause alot of them look terrible together.