How do i level up professions?

I am so god damn confused. I'm at 65 Inscription and
    >every recipe i have is grey
    >every recipe i can buy from vendors is grey
    >every recipe i can buy off the AH is grey
    >the orange ones are locked behind the skill tree
    >already crafted everything once so can't get new knowledge that way
    >can't spam treatises because you can only use them once
    Literally how the hell am i supposed to progress?

All you had to do was look at the unlearned tab. It lists all recipes that provide skill up and they sources.
    TLDR: either put skill points where it unlocks new recipes or do some rep grind to buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by mbit2 View Post
    All you had to do was look at the unlearned tab. It lists all recipes that provide skill up and they sources.
    TLDR: either put skill points where it unlocks new recipes or do some rep grind to buy a new one.
    Please re-read my post.
    Everything i can learn is already grey.
    I don't have enough knowledge points to put into the trees to unlock orange recipes.
    I can't acquire knowledge points because i don't have any new crafts remaining, and treatises can only be used once.

I think you get the better recipes from the renown vendors, so you have to get rep. And there are quests and items in the open world that give knowledge for your profession.
    When you get said recipes you can then skill to a 100 with Crafting Orders too.

That's all I know personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    Well, have you looked at the unlearned to see where you can find them?

As well, have you been to Darkmoon Faire for easy knowledge points?

Have you found the world NPC that might grant you free knowledge points?

Progressed to a higher tier in faction to get new recipes?

Else, reset tomorrow, and more will be available anyways.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Profession progress in DF isn't designed for you to reach 100 skill straight away. I think every recipe can be learned and used at 50 skill max for every profession, getting your skill up beyond that just improves the quality of your crafts.

Please re-read my post.
    Everything i can learn is already grey.
    I don't have enough knowledge points to put into the trees to unlock orange recipes.
    I can't acquire knowledge points because i don't have any new crafts remaining, and treatises can only be used once.
    That was the point, you can't 100 on first day. You are locked out for now because both skill tree and renown progress is gated.
    If you however plan to engage with the system you should take note of the rep grind necessary and not skip it because if you arent first on your server you aint making the big gold.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JMitchy96 View Post
    Profession progress in DF isn't designed for you to reach 100 skill straight away. I think every recipe can be learned and used at 50 skill max for every profession, getting your skill up beyond that just improves the quality of your crafts.
    It also locks you out of learning all skill trees. If you took a wrong path youre fucked for a while cause you need 100 to unlock all 4 and at least 75 to unlock 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by mbit2 View Post
    It also locks you out of learning all skill trees. If you took a wrong path youre fucked for a while cause you need 100 to unlock all 4 and at least 75 to unlock 3rd.
    There are quests and dailies/weeklies you can do to get your skill up aren't there?

Quote Originally Posted by JMitchy96 View Post
    I have a recipe in my bags that requires 75 Inscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    Well, have you looked at the unlearned to see where you can find them?

As well, have you been to Darkmoon Faire for easy knowledge points?

Have you found the world NPC that might grant you free knowledge points?

Progressed to a higher tier in faction to get new recipes?

Else, reset tomorrow, and more will be available anyways.
    >Well, have you looked at the unlearned to see where you can find them?
    I mean, yes. I know how the basic system works. Renown for example unlocks contracts, all of which are already grey before i even get to that point. That's what i meant, everything i COULD POTENTIALLY learn is already grey.
    The only orange things are the higher tier weapons and profession equipment, and the darkmoon decks, all of which require a large amount of knowledge points to unlock.
    Sorry if i sound a bit angry, but multiple people today have all told me "renown, vendors, etc", when i very specifically state from the get go that all the vendor recipes are already grey.
    I'll take the DMF tip to heart though, didn't think of that.
    And yes i found the npc, but those dragon shards needed might as well not exist.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some of it's gated, a lot of it isn't.

Truthfully you don't need 100 in a particular profession, although having higher in a profession makes it easier to hit skill requirements for R2-R5 crafts. Most require 50 max, but there are a few that are 75.

It really depends on your profession too. My alchemy is 93, while my engineering is 75 or 76. The only real way for me to level engineering at this point is to get renown stuff off of some of the vendors or the crafts that I have which are gated behind the engine that we get limited amounts. My only other real option is to spend a massive amount of gold crafting the only orange 'spammable' that I have left.

Specialization points are about the only thing you can grind right now. I've probably grinded like 50 dragon shards just by looting treasures this week (maybe more). Aside from static one time locations, they also sometimes rarely drop from mobs I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rabul next to the Crafting Orders AH, sells one time +10 Knowledge to all crafting skills for 100 Artisan's Mettle. Dont think that was mentioned above.

Other than that, Blizzard clearly stated that professions will now be a "minigame" in itself, and it is meant to last most of the expansion.

When we get to the last patch, crafters will have 50% multicraft and Resourcefulness, churning out flasks and potions left and right, but for now it's meant to be tight.
    "I like big pulls and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny, when a mob walks in, or maybe 10, all lined up for a spell, you press 2!"..

That isn’t the primary way to acquire knowledge. Play the game. Do all the quests, explore for treasures etc. I haven’t crafted anything since I hit 50 LW/JC and I have a dozen new recipes unlocked that are orange via knowledge and renown.

And as you’ve been told. You don’t need 100 to craft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    That isn’t the primary way to acquire knowledge. Play the game. Do all the quests, explore for treasures etc. I haven’t crafted anything since I hit 50 LW/JC and I have a dozen new recipes unlocked that are orange via knowledge and renown.

And as you’ve been told. You don’t need 100 to craft.
    >you don't need 100 to craft
    I do because i cucked myself out of Runebinding because i picked up the "gather more/faster" talents first because i didn't expect the game to just roadblock me from reaching 100 to pick up the last spec.

>the only orange recipe that isn't locked behind Runebinding (and thus 100 skill for me) is locked behind consortium rep that won't be available for several weeks
    So i just don't get to make gold with my craft because i didn't chose the one correct path? I won't be able to craft staves until the raid is already out and they've become useless.

I predicted the profession rework was too much for your average WoW simpleton to understand.

Thanks for proving me right.

Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    I predicted the profession rework was too much for your average WoW simpleton to understand.

Thanks for proving me right.
    My guy, this is literally not an issue of "not understanding" this is an issue of "i am blocked from progressing my craft because i didn't chose the only correct path through the skill tree".
    How was i supposed to know that the game would just block me from acquiring orange recipes?

My guy, this is literally not an issue of "not understanding" this is an issue of "i am blocked from progressing my craft because i didn't chose the only correct path through the skill tree".
    I'm looking at wowhead guides and seeing a lot of options to gain points that doesn't directly come from crafting. Reading this thread, it doesn't seem to me like you have exhausted all your options, just the obvious ones or the ones you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    I'm looking at wowhead guides and seeing a lot of options to gain points that doesn't directly come from crafting. Reading this thread, it doesn't seem to me like you have exhausted all your options, just the obvious ones or the ones you want to do.
    There are a lot of options to gain knowledge points, there are 0 options to gain orange recipes until i get to valued with the consortium, which won't be for another couple of weeks.
    Like i said, there is ONE orange recipe that isn't locked behind Runebinding, which i need to get to 100 skill for, which i can't because i don't have (and can't acquire) any orange recipes.

i don't have (and can't acquire) any orange recipes.
    Problem solved, with a bit of patience...

Technique: Weathered Explorer’s Stave now requires Dragon Isles Inscription 50 to match all other high-end recipes (was 75).

Wowhead has a thing listing the free 10 knowledge from master trainers
    There's also 15 knowledge from treasures
    The drops from the adventurers packs
    The items from the consortium vendor
    The quests
    DMF