How's your tanking experience in DF

So far is a mix bag for me. Some runs are great others are not.

I feel like some class AoE have too big of a range and over pull so as a tank I have to try to get aggro on them. We wipe a few times due to AoE over pulling. I find myself if a rotation my def CD I don't take a lot of damage. Some dungeons I really hate like the Brackenhide Hollow coz mobs tend to fear a lot combie that with adds than use the AoE spin and dps not doing any interupt is a nightmare to tank the adds there. I also dislike The Nokhud Offensive due to the fact I have to use dragon riding and is not something I am good at. Also landing close your group is important as if you land in a bad spot it means you have get through some adds.

Out of all the tanks I tested so far(prot pally, prot warrior, guardian druid). It feels druid is the best so far. Simply moonfire is too good to grab adds and hold aggro with caster or adds that's far away. Also I can easily spam Swipe or AoE damage and use moonfire which really helps with this new go go go go mentaly everyone have. Although I feel warrior is more mobile with leap and inveante etc etc. Prot pally feels meh the AoE interupt is nice but it doesn't feel anything special. I do wish tanks can have faster speed overall.

I also wish we can slow down a bit sometimes. Most people are going with way to fast for a relax run. Is constantly go go go go. Makes the run stressful sometimes when I am out of CD and seeing everyone hp dips. It wouldn't happen if I didn't pull wall to wall (much like in ffxiv)

Overall I give tanking a 7/10 so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, smooth, but overall, shit, the same with healing, and not because of skills and mechanics but because of people. Everyone is in such a raging hurry that you almost get kicked because you see something, or you are checking your quest for the said dungeon.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Tanked as a Guardian Druid, BDK and a Prot Warrior so far... it's about the same as it was last expansion though it's nice that tanks do a little more comparative damage than they did last expansion. Each tank feels great to play and the extra buttons make everything feel a lot more fluid. Guardian is still kind of boring but it's pretty strong after the buff. The only issue I've had with tanking in random groups so far is when I'm blasting Normals to level and get queued into a group of 4 players doing negative damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like the experience so far with the exception of the jade temple.
    In the higher keys the third boss in the second phase is an absolute tank killer and the group of 6 mobs before the last boss has 4 with an ability that hits like a truck that can only be interrupted by stun or fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    For me, smooth, but overall, shit, the same with healing, and not because of skills and mechanics but because of people. Everyone is in such a raging hurry that you almost get kicked because you see something, or you are checking your quest for the said dungeon.
    Yeah m+ culture ruins many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Like the experience so far with the exception of the jade temple.
    In the higher keys the third boss in the second phase is an absolute tank killer and the group of 6 mobs before the last boss has 4 with an ability that hits like a truck that can only be interrupted by stun or fear.
    You can cc the little adds. On fortified weeks I do that and we usually get through ok. But yeah.

Back to the main topic, I'm tanking as a DH. It's pretty easy and fun. But some of the affixes make me want to rip my hair out. I tanked from bc to legion then mythic plus made me not want to tank any more... namely necrotic. I didn't roll a tank to kite all the time. In bfa I played hunter and in SL I was a Windjammer monk. I will definitely say tanking m+ in DF this season has been a lot less annoying over all. Sanguine is a piece of shit though.. the pull before the last boss of ruby sanctum has a mob that can't be cc'd, moved, or interrupted. It chain casted about 5 spells in a row and went from 50% to full and there was nothing we could do about it. That was nice... bolstering has always been a pain in pug groups. Other than that I'm enjoying it.

I hated Warrior tanking in SL and even BFA. I much preferred Pally tanking from a play perspective - even if it wasn't as good a tank. That said, I am liking warrior this expansion. It feels better at least. That said, I don't run high level stuff.

I play prot paladin.
    No aggro issues.
    Very very slow compared to others, even if fully specced into horsie.
    Dislike discrepancies between dungeons. Free key SBG no matter the level, struggle like an idiot on a measly tyrannical AV 18.
    I feel like there are far far too many casts on some trash packs. I never felt like I literally have no interrupt left to get something across my party and myself (esp myself considering my class). I mean I keep a whole grp of adds interrupted by myself on Dathea, a raid boss, but here we are, let's cast a million casts on one trash pack.
    I also feel there is some very weird tuning. Dungeon with poor dps, I have to do so much; same with better dps, feels like a walk in the park. Never felt before such a difference in my groups. Conclusion being there are too many punishing mechanics all at once - one mistake from a dps and they're gone, even in low keys.

I don't know. So far, not enjoying it. And I do enjoy my prot paladin, just really don't enjoy tanking in M+ anymore. It makes me angry. Feels like ppl just piss on keys with their mistakes, but I feel it's probably too much for them. Hate hate how you got no clue anymore of what you can do since some dungeons are piss easy compared to others.

Oh and did I mention the seasonal affix? Yeah changed now a bit for tanks, too little too late. An unpleasant stress that doesn't feel like it gives you any reward.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2023-01-27 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    I play prot paladin.
    No aggro issues.
    Very very slow compared to others, even if fully specced into horsie.
    Dislike discrepancies between dungeons. Free key SBG no matter the level, struggle like an idiot on a measly tyrannical AV 18.
    I feel like there are far far too many casts on some trash packs. I never felt like I literally have no interrupt left to get something across my party and myself (esp myself considering my class). I mean I keep a whole grp of adds interrupted by myself on Dathea, a raid boss, but here we are, let's cast a million casts on one trash pack.
    I also feel there is some very weird tuning. Dungeon with poor dps, I have to do so much; same with better dps, feels like a walk in the park. Never felt before such a difference in my groups. Conclusion being there are too many punishing mechanics all at once - one mistake from a dps and they're gone, even in low keys.

I don't know. So far, not enjoying it. And I do enjoy my prot paladin, just really don't enjoy tanking in M+ anymore. It makes me angry. Feels like ppl just piss on keys with their mistakes, but I feel it's probably too much for them. Hate hate how you got no clue anymore of what you can do since some dungeons are piss easy compared to others.

Oh and did I mention the seasonal affix? Yeah changed now a bit for tanks, too little too late. An unpleasant stress that doesn't feel like it gives you any reward.
    My sentiments mirror yours, though I've admittedly shifted to simply playing with friends instead of PuGing. Even a small amount of coordination goes a country mile. Trying to PuG something like a RLP is just asking for misery.

I feel like there are far far too many casts on some trash packs.

As @Relapses said, its the pugging element thats at fault, there are packs that require coordination that the average player in a pug simply wont have.

For me, that i rarely ever pug , it feels like every other season, my friends/guildies have their RAM reset every Wednesday and i have to remind them "Stun Piercing Shards", "Interrupt this and this, i do Skull", nothing feels different for me, Pummel, Shockwave, War Stomp, Intimidating Shout (Yeah i play it cause fuck my retarded friends ) and they know if i am asking for them to do something they better fucking do it cause its either me calling them out for sucking, or they play properly and we dont wipe, too bad the calling them out for sucking still hasnt disappeared.

But literally every ability in the DF dungeons needs a 2 extra seconds cooldown and game is fixed.

The seasonal affix is extra coordination above that, its not a passive gain easily manageable by the tank to control with %, therefor it sucks, but not really..it simply exposes people that arent as awesome as they think they are, especially when everyone and their mother has a countdown weakaura by now.

Not even gonna comment on the OP about irrelevant threat problems that dont exist for any tank especially on irrelevant dead content apart from the tank the player behind the character is bad.
    Last edited by potis; 2023-01-27 at 09:50 PM.

As a prot paladin, I'm loving it. Playing a Warrior though, as strong as they are, I hated it.

Prot paladins just bring too much to the table, so much that I feel powerless on anything else. My warrior may never die but instead I get to watch the rest of my group slowly keel over to AoE damage and/or lack of healing.

On my paladin though, I can pull as big as I want to and know that I have so much utility that I can drag most any group through anything. If the healer dies (or is just struggling) I'm able to step up and keep the group alive without any issues. So many interrupts, able to do some of the spiciest pulls (love Jade Temple). Being able to throw sac on a healer (or out of position DPS) and save them while also holding threat and bombing 300k WoGs into people feels so good.

I play it like a support tank. Like realistically, like a chonky healer XD

I can't really play anything else, feel like it leaves too much to chance in these lower (14-17~) keys.

Only thing I'd like is for them to bring back holy power from avengers shield to smooth out my rotation/healing a bit and maybe fix a couple of the talents that simply do (literally) nothing.

Tanking as a whole seems to be in a good spot, tanks being given a lot of power and self sustain makes it pretty enjoyable across the board, I usually find the healer/DPS are the limiting factor. Thankfully, again, with my playstyle I'm able to help bridge that gap some and make for much smoother runs, especially with spicy affixes like grievous or bursting.

Truly I love prot paladin tanking and I think it's in a great place (no one complaining about it being to OP, looking at you warriors lol) and maybe if I'm lucky they'll actually get some sort of functional buff that doesn't impact my playstyle any.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklelord View Post
    As a prot paladin, I'm loving it. Playing a Warrior though, as strong as they are, I hated it.

Prot paladins just bring too much to the table, so much that I feel powerless on anything else. My warrior may never die but instead I get to watch the rest of my group slowly keel over to AoE damage and/or lack of healing.

On my paladin though, I can pull as big as I want to and know that I have so much utility that I can drag most any group through anything. If the healer dies (or is just struggling) I'm able to step up and keep the group alive without any issues. So many interrupts, able to do some of the spiciest pulls (love Jade Temple). Being able to throw sac on a healer (or out of position DPS) and save them while also holding threat and bombing 300k WoGs into people feels so good.

I play it like a support tank. Like realistically, like a chonky healer XD

I can't really play anything else, feel like it leaves too much to chance in these lower (14-17~) keys.

Only thing I'd like is for them to bring back holy power from avengers shield to smooth out my rotation/healing a bit and maybe fix a couple of the talents that simply do (literally) nothing.

Tanking as a whole seems to be in a good spot, tanks being given a lot of power and self sustain makes it pretty enjoyable across the board, I usually find the healer/DPS are the limiting factor. Thankfully, again, with my playstyle I'm able to help bridge that gap some and make for much smoother runs, especially with spicy affixes like grievous or bursting.

Truly I love prot paladin tanking and I think it's in a great place (no one complaining about it being to OP, looking at you warriors lol) and maybe if I'm lucky they'll actually get some sort of functional buff that doesn't impact my playstyle any.
    You should take a look at some of the warrior utility talents like aoe kick and fear

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    You should take a look at some of the warrior utility talents like aoe kick and fear
    Yeah I use them. Even had the groupwide fear break. AoE silence > AoE kick though :>

The biggest issue I had was not being able to heal my group members. Can't tell you how often I save people or save a spicy pull.

From what I understand, paladins are amazing at carrying and have a lot of utility but it drops off as you play with better players and there's less room to really shine, those moments I just zone and do my thing but it's always nice to have that option

Edit: Don't forget that Divine Toll has a 30yd range (and does chonky damage) while Disrupting Shout is only 14 (however it interrupts everything and also taunts so, to each their own)
    Last edited by Sparklelord; 2023-01-27 at 10:46 PM.

It's been pretty good on my prot paladin, love that I can contribute strong spot healing when things get tight, and I have tons of cooldowns at the ready.
    I only run with my guild for keys and raids so can't speak to any drama.

I've been a tank since Burning Crusade and I really don't like how much responsibility is thrown on me to know which adds to kill and where to go. I miss the old tanking where you just kill every mob between you and the boss and the healer is pulling extra adds because you're so damn good at tanking.

Love it, really been enjoying it.

Tanking is in a great spot. I've been pushing +23s/+24s and its giga fun. There's no such thing as timing a key for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Yeah but nothing compares to prot pala when your group is bad or the situation goes sideways. We can activate an ability that allows us to use a full heal basically on 3 ppl, aside from lay om hands and so on. Remove dots on ppl, dispell on ppl, freedom and so on. Warr has AMAZING stuff, I would kill for an AoE stun, but if you play support paladin, every other tank just pales in comparison. But bear in mind, it shines the worse your grp is. So if you have experienced dpses and healers, warrior comes on top.

Yeah but nothing compares to prot pala when your group is bad or the situation goes sideways. We can activate an ability that allows us to use a full heal basically on 3 ppl, aside from lay om hands and so on. Remove dots on ppl, dispell on ppl, freedom and so on. Warr has AMAZING stuff, I would kill for an AoE stun, but if you play support paladin, every other tank just pales in comparison. But bear in mind, it shines the worse your grp is. So if you have experienced dpses and healers, warrior comes on top.
    Prot Paladin is great up until 20s at which point Warrior continues to scale into the stratosphere (mostly in terms of damage potential) as you get players who, well, know how to press their buttons... somewhat inhibiting some of Prot Paladin's latent benefits. (Blood DK offers a similar value proposition wherein you simply never die.) Prot Paladin is still strong even in higher keys but Warrior's kit is much, much better suited for organized group play.

Been tanking on a bear and pally for the most part, with minor excursions to Warrior, DH, and Monk. Blood is the only tank I haven't leveled up yet (hmmmm)

The new dungeons feel like they are asking for a melee meta with how many casts there are. My pally really shines, but the dungeons definitely feel tilted in difficulty.

HoV is a mess on Tyr, but mostly just Odyn.

Pugs mostly suck, but that is nothing new.

I've definitely noticed as I get into higher keys people who decline bears and even pallies while waiting for warriors. My M+ healer is a holy priest for my bear, and it definitely isn't pleasant for both of us to be "non-meta" when we just try to jump into groups. Blizzard definitely needs to tone warriors down and bears up. Not switch their places, but make it close enough that people go with a ready tank, instead of feeling they have to get the meta tank.

Tanking feels fun, the dungeons are mostly fine and blizzard does seem to be adjusting alot, but the spec disparity is a bit much given they just had the chance to fix it and didn't bother.

Oh, and I raid tank on my bear. He feels alot better in there than M+, but that is likely due to feeling like I can be more helpful in a large group and my cooldowns line up better with boss fights.

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I am really enjoying the utility and survivability of my prot pally, but I do wish they'd buff our single-target dps a bit. As for pugs... I've done more pugging than in a long time because my teams are mostly casual and not ready to push keys. Most pugs are ok, but it's tougher not being in comms because no one can help you notice things you have to be super focused to catch everything yourself. Some runs I do great and get kudos and feel good; other runs I make a mistake and sometimes people leave even though we could still time key. That feels bad. But then I remember it's just a game and other parts of the world people are sleeping in bomb shelters. So I laugh it off, grab a snack, and go again.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"