Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    they should just remove the cap outright, dumb restrictions and arbitrary limitations benefit noone

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post
    It is called we lost some players and we would like to have that money back in Bobby's pocket. So their best interest would be to listen to the player base and try and make them happy. The whole arrogant and prideful they have been having is no longer working in their favor. Trying to make most of the player bas happy would be their best option at this point.
    Imagine looking at the quest log cap being increased and immediately thinking of Bobby.

It would help if they also made changes to raid skip unlocks. My quest log has like 7-8 skip quests. At this point it could be after just completing the difficulty it belongs to, no quest, no nothing. I mean old raids of course.
    I think I still have the valarjar soul fragment thingie quest from Legion. I'm at around 350-400-ish/1000, so I'm too invested at this point to drop it, but not desperate enough to go back and finish. I don't even know what it gives anymore, but it's been sitting in my quest log for.... .... 6 years omg.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Yay! Can we also bring back the tracking for it? I don't know why they removed that but it's really annoying to not know how close to the cap I am. I especially love deleting a few quests which are account wide and still not being able to pick something up because those quests were already over the cap =(
    Yeah why did they remove the quest count tracker? It was really useful. Never understood why they hid it.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    hell i am sure my account is atleast a couple gigs, maybe even double digits worth of data. and while for me that is nothing, you get hundreds of millions like that...
    It's nowhere near that at all. They just store basic information per toon that then points to other points of the game.

It'd be something (maybe not this simple, but likely similar)

Items:

[171500] = 0
    [171501] = 1
    [171502] = 2

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Yeah why did they remove the quest count tracker? It was really useful. Never understood why they hid it.
    If you use an addon it'll show.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/kaliels-tracker

Here's a decent one that does a lot to the quest log on screen to where you can even scroll in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    You can use an addon like MonkeyQuest to keep track of the number of quests:

https://github.com/azuraji/MonkeyQuest/releases

It uses the MAX_QUESTS constant so will work after the increase to 35 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    It's nowhere near that at all. They just store basic information per toon that then points to other points of the game.

It'd be something (maybe not this simple, but likely similar)

Items:

[171500] = 0
    [171501] = 1
    [171502] = 2

etc.

If you use an addon it'll show.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/kaliels-tracker

Here's a decent one that does a lot to the quest log on screen to where you can even scroll in it.
    It is not just the item ID, there is MANY more additions to that item.
    cause yeah you have item 171500, which it has to keep track of as X many bits of code, but it is not just that. it also has to keep track of the...

Item level of the item, because an item does not have a set item level, so it keeps track of the specific item level.
    the transmog that is currently applied to it, and for shoulders it has to keep track of which TWO items are transmogged to it
    what durability is left on the item
    what enchant it has, and for weapons what transmog enchant it has applied
    it then also has to keep track of what temporary enchant, and what duration is left, be it a sharpening stone, a weapon oil, or armor kit.
    it also has to keep track of what gem slots it has if they dont normally have gem slots, and with that tertiary stats
    it also has to keep track of what gem is IN that gem slot, and what quality it is, cause again, gems dont have a set ilvl now.
    And for crafted items specifically, as with gems they have quality, so it needs to keep track of those aswell.

and with all of those, items end up far more then just the items basic ID.

so
    ItemID:ILVL:TmogID: Dur#:EncID:TmogID:TempencID:TempencDur#:Terts:GemID's:GemQ:ItemQ

oh also "how long till an item can no longer be traded" and "who can it be traded to" which is a lot of data, however that only lasts up to 2 hours so its not a big deal.
    also for old items there was also difficulity and stuff, but i think they don't need that anymore because of how titanforging is gone now.
    Cause you used to have normal items with normal ID but heroic ilvl. so that may still be in there but im not 100% sure, and im sure there is other stuff im forgetting.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-12-10 at 03:18 PM.

and with all of those, items end up far more then just the items basic ID.

so
    ItemID:ILVL:TmogID: Dur#:EncID:TmogID:TempencID:TempencDur#:Terts:GemID's:GemQ:ItemQ
    Yes, I know how all that works. Thats why I said in my post a "basic watered down version that is similar but not the same". It's referred to as an itemID string the game uses. Every single item uses.

Even then there are addons that store the similar information less data.

Even if we were to take the exact string of information with all the characters and multiply it 400k times (There's only 200k of items ingame) that would only equate to 66mb of data roughly. This is also not taking into account most of those up there are small numbers and any compression they'd use.

All the data you were talking about might be 100-200mb but nowhere close to gigs as you would suggest for one player. The other thing is one it is in void storage it has a lot of that info stripped. Just having it in your transmog book has a lot stripped out. The only time it'd need that full info is if it is in your bags/bank/character and Blizzard says they strip a lot out of remove un-useful information based on where it is.

Yes, I know how all that works. Thats why I said in my post a "basic watered down version that is similar but not the same". It's referred to as an itemID string the game uses. Every single item uses.

Even then there are addons that store the similar information less data.

Even if we were to take the exact string of information with all the characters and multiply it 400k times (There's only 200k of items ingame) that would only equate to 66mb of data roughly. This is also not taking into account most of those up there are small numbers and any compression they'd use.

All the data you were talking about might be 100-200mb but nowhere close to gigs as you would suggest for one player. The other thing is one it is in void storage it has a lot of that info stripped. Just having it in your transmog book has a lot stripped out. The only time it'd need that full info is if it is in your bags/bank/character and Blizzard says they strip a lot out of remove un-useful information based on where it is.
    ??? Yes only 100-200mb.
    for items.
    Acheivements
    what dates they are earned on
    mounts
    pets
    their levels
    their rarities
    their current equipped moves
    their current Hp values
    their stats
    quests completed
    quests in progress
    what progress those quests are on
    reputations encountered
    reputation values
    currencies
    calander events
    professions
    bar layouts
    ui layout
    keybinds
    settings
    statistics from x deaths to y kills to z raids to everything else
    pvp and mythic ratings
    Explored locations
    flight paths unlocked
    and COUNTLESS triggers, like "have spoken to this npc" 'have been here" "have bene there" "have killed XYZ"

there is countless other things that they keep track for us, not JUST items, items was simply the example used.
    and for a charecter of a completionist, the data is exxessive.
    also they can't compress it any more then they have in their own code, they can't compress the files down, because they can be called at any time, online, ingame, in the guild browser, etc. they need to be always available, and can't be zipped up and stored for later, they must always be prepared for the moment a person logs in.

and yeah they strip that un useful information in void storage, in transmog, thats the whole point, but bags/bank/mail/equipped, they cannot. but there is a lot of things ON TOP of the items in your bags.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-12-10 at 05:05 PM.

??? Yes only 100-200mb.
    for items.
    Again, you over complicating that. Half of that isn't stored in a player database at all that is on Blizzards end.

All of that is likely less than 500mb if even that. Some of that is stored on your end too. You also act like they use zero compression. Even with basic compression the datafile for items goes from 100-200mb down to 4kb. What they store is text which is easily compressed. It's not like they store pictures, etc. where compression isn't as good.

Again, you over complicating that. Half of that isn't stored in a player database at all that is on Blizzards end.

All of that is likely less than 500mb if even that. Some of that is stored on your end too. You also act like they use zero compression. Even with basic compression the datafile for items goes from 100-200mb down to 4kb. What they store is text which is easily compressed. It's not like they store pictures, etc. where compression isn't as good.
    None of that data mentioned is on my end. Keybinds, ui settup, etc is all server side.
    Add-ons and stuff don't have access to blizzards severs so they of course are client side. But anything blizz is server side. So none of the stuff I mentioned above is server side.

And you can only compress text when it is not in use. But wows text is constantly in use.

This has nothing to do with storing data and any reasons around it.

As someone mentioned, this made sense when wow launched, when there was no built-in tracker and all had to be read carefully. To ensure you won’t get lost.

This is about idiocy. It’s a change that had to happen 12-15 years ago. Really shows how much they care, as fixing this is as “hard” as to fix a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post
    It is called we lost some players and we would like to have that money back in Bobby's pocket. So their best interest would be to listen to the player base and try and make them happy. The whole arrogant and prideful they have been having is no longer working in their favor. Trying to make most of the player bas happy would be their best option at this point.
    This might be the most idiotic shit I've seen in a while on MMO, and we know how many dummies shitpost here all day. But this is way up there. Good for you tiger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drudi View Post
    This has nothing to do with storing data and any reasons around it.

As someone mentioned, this made sense when wow launched, when there was no built-in tracker and all had to be read carefully. To ensure you won’t get lost.

This is about idiocy. It’s a change that had to happen 12-15 years ago. Really shows how much they care, as fixing this is as “hard” as to fix a typo.
    Another entirely dopey and completely uninformed reply.

- - - Updated - - -

??? Yes only 100-200mb.
    for items.
    Acheivements
    what dates they are earned on
    mounts
    pets
    their levels
    their rarities
    their current equipped moves
    their current Hp values
    their stats
    quests completed
    quests in progress
    what progress those quests are on
    reputations encountered
    reputation values
    currencies
    calander events
    professions
    bar layouts
    ui layout
    keybinds
    settings
    statistics from x deaths to y kills to z raids to everything else
    pvp and mythic ratings
    Explored locations
    flight paths unlocked
    and COUNTLESS triggers, like "have spoken to this npc" 'have been here" "have bene there" "have killed XYZ"

there is countless other things that they keep track for us, not JUST items, items was simply the example used.
    and for a charecter of a completionist, the data is exxessive.
    also they can't compress it any more then they have in their own code, they can't compress the files down, because they can be called at any time, online, ingame, in the guild browser, etc. they need to be always available, and can't be zipped up and stored for later, they must always be prepared for the moment a person logs in.

and yeah they strip that un useful information in void storage, in transmog, thats the whole point, but bags/bank/mail/equipped, they cannot. but there is a lot of things ON TOP of the items in your bags.
    This is all correct

What happened?

No crackhead Public Relations excuse of "Derr, if the quest cap is at 100, the game would break!

People would play the game and that's a no-no!"

Fuckin' A, Blizzard - stop smoking crack.

“ Another entirely dopey and completely uninformed reply”

Do you even realize that the game has to store the state of ALL AND EVERY quest anyways, not just the once you have picked up? No? Thought so.

1- stop people from hording ABSOLUTE OBSCENE amounts at an expansion launch
    2- stop from too much data needing to be stored per charecter, while one charecter having 35 quests ontop of the countless other stuff does not take up a ton of storage space, when you can have up to 60 charecters per account, all with that many. then remidner they must keep these FOREVER. even if you only sub for 1 month, they have to keep that data, they don't purge it ever, you can pay them 15 dollars to store data for you perpetually till the day the game shuts down.
    hell i am sure my account is atleast a couple gigs, maybe even double digits worth of data. and while for me that is nothing, you get hundreds of millions like that...
    No just.. no. The amount of data you are is ridiculously small.

The only real reason is because there's no (reasonable) way to display 500 quests without wrecking the UI and no (reasonable) way to sort the quests to find what you want.

Other games have figured out how to handle this better. I'm not sure 35 is the "perfect" number but 25 was absolutely way too small.

But mostly... your data is not gigs. I doubt it's even more than 500MB, much less several GB. It takes a fuckton of data to hit 1GB.

You might be thinking chat logs but those are *very* compressible.

I've done a lot of data handling in my days and database design. There's no way you're "several gigs".

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    No just.. no. The amount of data you are is ridiculously small.

The only real reason is because there's no (reasonable) way to display 500 quests without wrecking the UI and no (reasonable) way to sort the quests to find what you want.

Other games have figured out how to handle this better. I'm not sure 35 is the "perfect" number but 25 was absolutely way too small.

But mostly... your data is not gigs. I doubt it's even more than 500MB, much less several GB. It takes a fuckton of data to hit 1GB.

You might be thinking chat logs but those are *very* compressible.

I've done a lot of data handling in my days and database design. There's no way you're "several gigs".
    Backing this up. Gigs? It's likely in the single digit MBs. I work in web publishing, all of that data is reducible to heaps of small integers. A relatively short text document could carry it all in mere KBs, though it's likely kept in a dedicated storage file format. I've handled 1 million word, highly marked-up Word documents that come in under 4 MBs. The overwhelming majority of all game data is for audio and graphics files. Player data storage is not a size issue.

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    that's unexpected but cool

I am glad they increased it because I have spent the last decade constantly butting against it, but honestly 35 does not feel like enough and it should be more around 100. I try to go back and do old content and if you have 15 quests in our log from an old expansion to finish and then work on the current expac you can hit the 35 limit pretty quick.

1- stop people from hording ABSOLUTE OBSCENE amounts at an expansion launch
    2- stop from too much data needing to be stored per charecter, while one charecter having 35 quests ontop of the countless other stuff does not take up a ton of storage space, when you can have up to 60 charecters per account, all with that many. then remidner they must keep these FOREVER. even if you only sub for 1 month, they have to keep that data, they don't purge it ever, you can pay them 15 dollars to store data for you perpetually till the day the game shuts down.
    3- stop people from having lots of quests, losing track and getting confused about them all
    4- part of the balance to stopping people from just picking up every single quest they can at once, your encouraged to do one thing at a time, instead of picking up a million things and then doing random stuff.

Now 35 is great, but it seems a bit of an odd number, going right to 50 woulda been a much nicer number, but i understand them not wanting to literally double it.
    a... 40 something percent increase to quest log is a pretty good start, and should be enough for most people, like dragonflight launch i had so many times i literally just needed 1 more spot maybe 2 so many times, so 10 is great, but we shall see if they need to increase it again.
    1- why is that a problem?
    2- you don't understand anything about the real world storage and compute requirements for these so please don't pretend you do (coming from someone that does because they work with this).
    3- don't get many quests then.
    4- vast vast majority of quests cannot be done simultaneously anyway.