Thread: Appeal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You generally appeal a ban, not an infraction. A ban appeal goes over all your infractions that lead to said ban. So there's not much point in appealing an infraction. Don't break any more rules and the infraction will drop off.

If you really want to appeal, PM one of the mods of the forum you received the infraction in and they'll handle it internally.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Interestingly that is literally a discussion i had with mods a few years ago. They however felt differently - and i can actually quote some of them saying it is subjective in pm's to me. And that its not a very fitting title but its one used as a general "we dont like this post" infraciton.
    Quite the argument here. An unnamed mod who cannot be verified, and maybe isn't even a mod any more voicing an opinion to you.

Also, you have a hard time understanding objective vs subjective. There is a standard that the forum used, violations are objectively measured against said standard. There is no subjectivity there.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    This is outrageous! Outrageous I tell you!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I love how predictable it is to see a thread about moderation get hijacked by perpetual victims. You'd think they would just leave if it was so bad...

But yeah, its the holidays, can't expect volunteers to be here 24/7 to look at why someone got an infraction that didn't even lead to a ban lol
    Basically this.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

You can directly PM the mod that gave the infraction, assuming they made an edit to your post to add the red "infracted" text to see who it was.

7+ Year Old Account
    I love how predictable it is to see a thread about moderation get hijacked by perpetual victims. You'd think they would just leave if it was so bad...

But yeah, its the holidays, can't expect volunteers to be here 24/7 to look at why someone got an infraction that didn't even lead to a ban lol
    But then they would have nothing to complain about.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Quite the argument here. An unnamed mod who cannot be verified, and maybe isn't even a mod any more voicing an opinion to you.

Also, you have a hard time understanding objective vs subjective. There is a standard that the forum used, violations are objectively measured against said standard. There is no subjectivity there.
    There's an objective standard. For edge cases, there always will be subjectivity as to whether it crosses the line on those standards, and it's often contextual to boot. For instance, calling someone a "fool" one time out of the blue probably won't earn an infraction for flaming, but if you're calling people "fools" constantly and baiting them that way, the cumulative effect of that conduct will likely cross the line. How many "fool" posts it takes, that's subjective. It's not like there's a metric saying you get 4 "fools" and then the 5th earns an infraction. To pick an example that's made up and doesn't actually reflect any incident I'm aware of from my time modding here.

Just because there's subjectivity doesn't make it "wrong" or "bad". It's just an acknowledgement that it requires judgement calls, which is why you have human moderators in the first place. And why ban and infraction appeals go to what's essentially a vote by mods as to whether the infraction was valid or should be overturned. And often, there isn't unanimity in those votes. Because it's a judgement call.

Last edited by Shadowferal; 2023-01-01 at 03:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Its about politics not if its constructive or not. Thats been glaringly obvious for a while now.

If you are an ultra feminist/lgbtq supporter you can get away with anything on this forum
    Or you can just practice good etiquette. You don't visit someone's home to insult them without risking being kicked out. As time passes it becomes glaringly obvious "troll" (what an insult to the old definition) posters skipped a vital part of social development.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's an objective standard. For edge cases, there always will be subjectivity as to whether it crosses the line on those standards, and it's often contextual to boot. For instance, calling someone a "fool" one time out of the blue probably won't earn an infraction for flaming, but if you're calling people "fools" constantly and baiting them that way, the cumulative effect of that conduct will likely cross the line. How many "fool" posts it takes, that's subjective. It's not like there's a metric saying you get 4 "fools" and then the 5th earns an infraction. To pick an example that's made up and doesn't actually reflect any incident I'm aware of from my time modding here.

Just because there's subjectivity doesn't make it "wrong" or "bad". It's just an acknowledgement that it requires judgement calls, which is why you have human moderators in the first place. And why ban and infraction appeals go to what's essentially a vote by mods as to whether the infraction was valid or should be overturned. And often, there isn't unanimity in those votes. Because it's a judgement call.
    Having some subjectivity in it doesn't make something subjective.

For example, all laws have that nature to it. But, it doesn't change that the laws are what they are and there is objectivity there.

The only people I ever hear arguing "Laws are subjective!" are either people who do not wish to be subjected to consequences or arguing at a level that generally doesn't happen on internet forums.
    –The Sith Code

The politics forum is full of liberal trolls who have perfected passive aggressively triggering everyone else into infractions. For example, Endus will repeatedly say, "This is a lie" to get a response because he knows that's not going to get him an infraction, but if you respond to him directly and accuse him of something, you will get infracted. There's a similar game that's played with calling people racists all the time.

People think it's about the conversation, but it's really about getting people infracted and banned and winning the argument that way.
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-01-01 at 03:37 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    The politics forum is full of liberal trolls who have perfected passive aggressively triggering everyone else into infractions. For example, Endus will repeatedly say, "This is a lie" to get a response because he knows that's not going to get him an infraction, but if you respond to him directly and accuse him of something, you will get infracted.

People think it's about the conversation, but it's really about getting people infracted and banned and winning the argument that way.
    Now that's a quality conspiracy theory over there. An ex-mod uses 5head forum tactics to get people infracted and banned.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    The politics forum is full of liberal trolls who have perfected passive aggressively triggering everyone else into infractions. For example, Endus will repeatedly say, "This is a lie" to get a response because he knows that's not going to get him an infraction, but if you respond to him directly and accuse him of something, you will get infracted.

Was it a lie? That's the part people always skip over in their rush to cry persecution.

If your point is that I don't break site rules (generally; I cross the line sometimes and get slapped appropriately when I do) and others can't help themselves because they get so incensed at my existence or something, I'm not seeing how that's a "me" problem.
    Last edited by Endus; 2023-01-01 at 03:40 PM.

Was it a lie? That's the part people always skip over in their rush to cry persecution.
    You can't know that, which is the point. Maybe it's untrue, but you're accusing them of lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't know that, which is the point. Maybe it's untrue, but you're accusing them of lying.
    You don't need to be a mind reader to tell if someone's lying, dude.

Especially if they post something obviously wrong, you provide evidence proving it wrong, and they insist on repeating the debunked talking point. That's provably a lie, at that point.

You're still skipping right over the question of whether they are lying, which is pretty darned relevant to the question of whether that accusation is correct or not. And I'll note there's a reason the complaint is always that I'm being a meanyface and calling out what I see as a lie, and never a defense of the false statement's merit.

Aren't you the dude that used to post on a different account before getting banned and making this one, Coniferous?

Literally you, complaining about exactly what you said above lol
    Just forgot my password and had to make a new account.

You don't need to be a mind reader to tell if someone's lying, dude.

Especially if they post something obviously wrong, you provide evidence proving it wrong, and they insist on repeating the debunked talking point. That's provably a lie, at that point.

You're still skipping right over the question of whether they are lying, which is pretty darned relevant to the question of whether that accusation is correct or not. And I'll note there's a reason the complaint is always that I'm being a meanyface and calling out what I see as a lie, and never a defense of the false statement's merit.
    Calling them a liar moves it beyond productive conversation to personal attacks in an attempt to bait. The same way conversations constantly veer off too "prove to me that you're not racist". It's all just passive aggressive baiting.

7+ Year Old Account
    Except, he didn't. He said the statement was a lie. They could merely be repeating a lie they heard. It would still be a lie, even if the person saying it isn't intentionally lying. And you can tell when someone is lying. If someone is presented evidence that what they said was false, and they continue to declare it a truth; they are lying. And the only cases I have seen Endus ever say someone was lying was when there was objective proof the person either did or should have know was false.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    Just forgot my password and had to make a new account.
    If by "forgetting a password" you mean getting banned...

Funny how y'all hardcore complainers bitch and moan about unfair moderation, yet you are still here, posting, supporting the site by generating clicks and traffic, and even creating new accounts! It's almost like you just cannot stop yourself!
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Calling them a liar moves it beyond productive conversation to personal attacks in an attempt to bait. The same way conversations constantly veer off too "prove to me that you're not racist". It's all just passive aggressive baiting.
    Because the person you are describing has already moved the conversation to that point, not Endus.
    –The Sith Code