Thread: 6.3 patch notes

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

6.3 patch notes

Patch notes are up (doesn't include job changes yet)

I'd like to add the water bowl and the glowing box in the back... except my apartment is already maxxed out at 100 decorations.

Also like the box and the bag of lemons and the small fountain. Too bad you can't place outdoor furnishings inside your house/apartment. Stupid limitation.

Airship mount? Or a decoration for the island sanctuary?

More jumping puzzles is nice, though it would be nice if they came out at a faster rate.

New PvP arena might be fun.

New MSQ trial and alliance raid requires ilevel 595 to enter. I'm currently 588 and don't feel like spending hours grinding tedious chores to reach the ilevel requirement right now so I might not get around to the story for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    New MSQ trial and alliance raid requires ilevel 595 to enter. I'm currently 588 and don't feel like spending hours grinding tedious chores to reach the ilevel requirement right now so I might not get around to the story for a while.
    I mean...Rinascita is 610 and is dirt cheap. Troia drops 595. Even Aglaia drops 590. Hell, retainers bring back 590 from ventures.

What are these "chores" you're "grinding for hours" to get to 595?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    I mean...Rinascita is 610 and is dirt cheap. Troia drops 595. Even Aglaia drops 590. Hell, retainers bring back 590 from ventures.

It's hardly the fault of the game anyway if people that haven't really been playing the game at 90 in 6.2 are not ready for the 6.3 MSQ ilvl requirements without biting the bullet on crafted gear, anyway.

A minimum ilvl of 590 to enter the new dungeon isn't a huge ask when that could reached solely through tome gear without raiding even in 6.1, heck abyssos will have it's weekly loot limit on normal lifted next week and that spits out gear at 610
    Last edited by zealo; 2023-01-07 at 03:27 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

This is Val we are talking about. Logging into the game is exhausting and its Square Enix's fault
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played in months and I'm 600+ on multiple jobs. Just casually running the most recent raids, not even once a week, should put you over 600 by now. Same with daily roulette. There's even dirt cheap crafted gear at 610.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    This is Val we are talking about. Logging into the game is exhausting and its Square Enix's fault
    FFXIV is an objectively mediocre game, and that's no thanks to Yoshi-P and his gang of hooligans who refuse to add innovative changes to the game.

- 0 tier sets

- 0 combat based effects on gear or weapons

- Universal circular or square arenas

- Somehow, despite 24-mans being heavily marketed in patch trailers they are virtually never voice acted

- Dogshit PvP

- Slow combat with 0 variation in how you can flesh out your characters damage output (lack of talent or ability trees)

Quote Originally Posted by mario710 View Post
    FFXIV is an objectively mediocre game, and that's no thanks to Yoshi-P and his gang of hooligans who refuse to add innovative changes to the game.

- 0 tier sets

- Somehow, despite 24-mans being heavily marketed in patch trailers they are virtually never voice acted

- Dogshit PvP

- Slow combat with 0 variation in how you can flesh out your characters damage output (lack of talent or ability trees)
    Mind actually clarifying why these things are needed or how they would improve FF14 as a whole aside from more VA? What would tier sets even look like or bring to FF? How about combat based effects? Any examples you'd like to see and why? With respect to build individualization what would you like to see and how do you think it would improve the game?

Give me quantifiable examples to discuss. I have some ideas for a few of your points, but I want to see if you actually care about the game or are just baiting.

On the topic of character builds, I've been playing FFXI over the last three weeks and really enjoy the character customization there.

• You can equip a subjob at half your level. Ie, if you are a level 75 black mage, you can equip White Mage and acquire the White Mage's abilities, spells, and passive traits up to level 37. Want to be a melee class that dual wields? Equip Ninja as your subjob. Want more loot? Equip Thief as your sub and let the loot roll in. You can equip White Mage or Red Mage as your subjob and be able to cast sneak and invisible, which is great for stealthing through high level areas. Some main jobs also have their abilities change depending on what subjob you have equipped. For example, if you are a Dragoon and have a melee subjob equipped, then your pet wyvern gains elemental breath attacks, but if you equip a mage subjob then the wyvern will use a healing breath whenever you cast a spell and someone in your party is below a health threshold. If you play Dragoon/Red Mage, you can become a healer who uses poison to trigger healing breaths (you use Red Mage because it has the Fast Cast trait so you cast spells faster, and because it has access to the poison spell which only costs 5 MP and doesn't give the enemy target TP, though other mage subjobs can work if you want more healing throughput from White Mage spells or the utility of teleports).
    • Jobs aren't restricted to using just one weapon. There are usually 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) weapons that a job can wield that the job has a good skill level in. For example, samurai aren't forced to only use katanas. They can use spears if they want. Mages can equip cudgels or daggers or swords and go whack people, and you can build around that if you want, like a cudgel that steals MP.
    • You can also acquire equipment that augments your abilities, such as a a Drachen Armet that increases the threshold at which the wyvern's healing breath will trigger (for <33% HP to <50% HP), or a hat that lowers the perpetuation cost of certain avatars (ie, the Accord Hat for Summoner if you want to use Fenrir all the time). You can also use macros and swap gear during combat, ie using the Drachen Armet to trigger the healing breath on a play who is at 40% HP, and then switching to the Wyrm Armet which improves your wyvern's breath effectiveness before the healing breath goes off.
    • You can acquire points and invest them into improving certain aspects of your main job, ie improving the effectiveness of your pet wyvern's breath or reducing the cooldown on your jumps.
    • Max party size is 6 players, not 4, so other players besides tank/dps/healer are viable. You can bring support classes like Red Mage whose main role is to cast debuffs on the target (paralyze, blind, slow, etc) or buffer roles, or supplemental healers like heal DRG/RDM. This isn't possible under a game designed for parties of 4 players. Even if you could build a heal DRG/RDM in FFXIV, the design of the game means that you would never get accepted into any groups playing as one.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2023-01-09 at 07:29 PM.

On the topic of character builds, I've been playing FFXI over the last three weeks and really enjoy the character customization there.

• You can equip a subjob at half your level. Ie, if you are a level 75 black mage, you can equip White Mage and acquire the White Mage's abilities, spells, and passive traits up to level 37. Want to be a melee class that dual wields? Equip Ninja as your subjob. Want more loot? Equip Thief as your sub and let the loot roll in. You can equip White Mage or Red Mage as your subjob and be able to cast sneak and invisible, which is great for stealthing through high level areas. Some main jobs also have their abilities change depending on what subjob you have equipped. For example, if you are a Dragoon and have a melee subjob equipped, then your pet wyvern gains elemental breath attacks, but if you equip a mage subjob then the wyvern will use a healing breath whenever you cast a spell and someone in your party is below a health threshold. If you play Dragoon/Red Mage, you can become a healer who uses poison to trigger healing breaths (you use Red Mage because it has the Fast Cast trait so you cast spells faster, and because it has access to the poison spell which only costs 5 MP and doesn't give the enemy target TP, though other mage subjobs can work if you want more healing throughput from White Mage spells or the utility of teleports).
    • Jobs aren't restricted to using just one weapon. There are usually 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) weapons that a job can wield that the job has a good skill level in. For example, samurai aren't forced to only use katanas. They can use spears if they want. Mages can equip cudgels or daggers or swords and go whack people, and you can build around that if you want, like a cudgel that steals MP.
    • You can also acquire equipment that augments your abilities, such as a a Drachen Armet that increases the threshold at which the wyvern's healing breath will trigger (for <33% HP to <50% HP), or a hat that lowers the perpetuation cost of certain avatars (ie, the Accord Hat for Summoner if you want to use Fenrir all the time). You can also use macros and swap gear during combat, ie using the Drachen Armet to trigger the healing breath on a play who is at 40% HP, and then switching to the Wyrm Armet which improves your wyvern's breath effectiveness before the healing breath goes off.
    • You can acquire points and invest them into improving certain aspects of your main job, ie improving the effectiveness of your pet wyvern's breath or reducing the cooldown on your jumps.
    • Max party size is 6 players, not 4, so other players besides tank/dps/healer are viable. You can bring support classes like Red Mage whose main role is to cast debuffs on the target (paralyze, blind, slow, etc) or buffer roles, or supplemental healers like heal DRG/RDM. This isn't possible under a game designed for parties of 4 players. Even if you could build a heal DRG/RDM in FFXIV, the design of the game means that you would never get accepted into any groups playing as one.
    The thing is that players tend to optimize the choice out of everything anyway. So all this often ends up just being a pile of false options that don't do anyone any good.

XIV does tend to be extremely rigid about some things, it's true. But a lot of what people call "choice" ends up being anything but in most cases, so the net loss isn't too great.

The thing is that players tend to optimize the choice out of everything anyway. So all this often ends up just being a pile of false options that don't do anyone any good.
    If you adhere to the WoW mentality where you browse LFG or party finder and you are trying to get accepted into other people's groups (which means adopting the meta builds), then sure. But FFXI gives you the power to easily create your own parties. You can type /sea all to see every player online, and input search parameters to filter them based off of jobs, level range, location ingame, etc, and then start whispering people asking them to join your own party. So if you want to play a damage dealing greatsword paladin, you don't need to fight an uphill battle trying to get accepted into another player's group. You can just invite your own tanks and your own healers. I've made more of my own groups over the past three weeks in FFXI than I have joined groups.

- - - Updated - - -

That being said, FFXI has small server communities of 1-5k players online at any given time, where people at any given stage of the game are going to recognize other players who are at the same stage. You start making friends with people. There is an actual community, and it is easier for people acquainted with each other to be more lax about what builds you bring or adjusting new strategies. That doesn't fly in the megaserver and lobby system of modern MMOs, where nobody recognizes each other. Everyone is just a rando trying to get their dailies done ASAP and adhere to the same strats published by AkhMorning or a youtuber, and then once the instance is over everybody leaves and never sees each other again.

If you adhere to the WoW mentality where you browse LFG or party finder and you are trying to get accepted into other people's groups (which means adopting the meta builds), then sure. But FFXI gives you the power to easily create your own parties. You can type /sea all to see every player online, and input search parameters to filter them based off of jobs, level range, location ingame, etc, and then start whispering people asking them to join your own party. So if you want to play a damage dealing greatsword paladin, you don't need to fight an uphill battle trying to get accepted into another player's group. You can just invite your own tanks and your own healers. I've made more of my own groups over the past three weeks in FFXI than I have joined groups.
    I mean...you can make your own groups in any MMO. I do it all the time in XIV.

That being said, FFXI has small server communities of 1-5k players online at any given time, where people at any given stage of the game are going to recognize other players who are at the same stage. You start making friends with people. There is an actual community, and it is easier for people acquainted with each other to be more lax about what builds you bring or adjusting new strategies. That doesn't fly in the megaserver and lobby system of modern MMOs, where nobody recognizes each other. Everyone is just a rando trying to get their dailies done ASAP and adhere to the same strats published by AkhMorning or a youtuber, and then once the instance is over everybody leaves and never sees each other again.
    Whether a game has a community or not doesn't stop them from optimizing the crap out of things. We had people pushing meta groups in EQ, of all games. (Which also had 6-man groups)

When I played XI, people were pretty stringent about meta jobs/subjobs and group setups as well. Maybe things changed over the years, but the near-impossibility of finding/forming groups as a non-meta job was what made me quit the game originally.

I think the thing I'm most excited about, after new story stuff, is the umbrella change.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Wouldn't be a Val FF14 thread if it didn't have incessant bitching about a non-issue nit pick he had exploding it into some game-breaking problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Slow combat with 0 variation in how you can flesh out your characters damage output (lack of talent or ability trees)
    This is always how the WoW fanboys expose themselves. This or when they talk about the GCD lol.

You have no idea what you're even talking about and nobody should take anything you say on this topic with any seriousness.

When I played XI, people were pretty stringent about meta jobs/subjobs and group setups as well. Maybe things changed over the years, but the near-impossibility of finding/forming groups as a non-meta job was what made me quit the game originally.
    That was my experience with it too when I played. There were maybe a few different subjobs for each class that might work depending on the level range, as well as weapon type so you can get a useful Renkei.

You *could* be a PLD tanking using a greatsword in your own party or run something useless like PLD/THF or PLD/BST, just like you *can* currently get a party together in FFXIV and choose to play a Gladiator at level 90 or exclusively use Umbral spells on BLM. I just don't know why you would other than intentionally making it harder on your party.

On the topic of character builds, I've been playing FFXI over the last three weeks and really enjoy the character customization there. ~snip~
    You're also playing on an objectively different version of 75 era FFXI with abilities added past that era, new balance changes (That try and add variations but also nerfs / buffs), and quite a few different QoL adjustments. Something retail FFXI also has (and arguably more of with newer systems, just way grindier). Just to note, if anyone reading this doesn't understand Val is speaking from a modern 75 era+ server.

- 0 tier sets

- Dogshit PvP

Disregarding more subjective opinions, a lot of what you mentioned is also rather strong for casual individuals to pick up the game, learn, and enjoy. World of Warcraft has already shown that the new talent system and options given to players not used to it get fucking confused, sometimes even quitting because of it. You win some you lose some depending on the complexity you choose for your game.

I'd argue FFXIV gained way more by doing this, even if I agree that the variety of classes has boiled down to (usually) a few unique abilities including the gimmick. Otherwise chunks or most parts of a class play similar to another one for mutual balance reasons. PVP, Relic weapons (at times) and Eureka-like zones are the only time they seem to branch out on differences.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2023-01-10 at 05:56 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    I don't think XIV needs more "player choice" in core content, but I think they need to free up player choice in "non core" content. Deep dungeons, field zones, etc. Shit, I think they should probably even figure out some way to loosen up combat for just doing FATEs and stuff. It's fine that you need rigid roles and limited toolkits for raid balance purposes, but that shouldn't apply outside of raids. The very old class/job system... kind of?... did this, but we've had nothing like it since.

Like, being honest, the entire reason I'm such a BLU fanboy is because they're allowed to break the rules. But I think they don't have to limit that thing to "limited jobs." You can probably have a pared down, tightly balanced raiding toolkit and a trinity-less exploration toolkit at the same time, because raids are always instanced content.

Variety content in FFXIV always wins my heart. Feels truly a meaningful fantasy when you are tired from mindless combat. This game is going places in my opinion and it will always hold special place in my heart.

Last stretch of the MSQ dungeon was cool. Should've been a fully fledged zone.

I always admired lush ishgardian partitions since it helped me so much in creating some of the ambient spaces in our mansion. But 12 waterfalls.. this changes everyghing.

Last edited by neik; 2023-01-12 at 07:05 PM.