Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What is a quote that has significantly impacted your life?

Title says it all. What is a quote that has significantly impacted your life?

Ill go first:

“I've never seen any life transformation that didn't begin with the person in question finally getting tired of their own bullshit.”

― Elizabeth Gilbert

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Learn from your mistakes!"

-Some loading screen tip from Heroes of Newerth (RIP)

Conan whats best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

1+ Year Old Account
    Basically everything by Henry Thoreau.

“Anyone can deal with victory. Only the mighty can bear defeat.”
    ― Adolf Hitler

/sarcasm

Here's a better one.

"Don't let random out of context quotes and quips influence you."

Me.

"To sum it all up, I must say that I regret nothing."

"WHAT?"

- Lil Jon
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Some of Churchill's wittier quotes have stuck with me because they're funny. I wouldn't say any of them have impacted my life beyond the brief change in humor, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    "Don't let random out of context quotes and quips influence you."
    That sums up how I feel about quotes. At best they're a conduit for authoritarian thinking.

“Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” - Stephen King (Shawshank Redemption)
    Last edited by diller; 2023-01-08 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    "WHAT?"

- Lil Jon
    "To the window
    To the wall"

"what?" --stone cold
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Don't believe in yourself. Believe in ME! Believe in the Kamina that believes in you!"

- Kamina, Gurren Lagann
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The one I got from the repair shop after my wife broke the engine in our car.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The one I got from the repair shop after my wife broke the engine in our car.
    "Holy shit?"
    "OMFG!!!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "Holy shit?"
    "OMFG!!!"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Tears of sympathy for you...

Not a quote but when I was a kid on an excursion I had no food with me and only myself to blame, was to proud to take some from someone else. An adult made me realize that it's ok to take help offered freely. And in extension to help others if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "Holy shit?"
    "OMFG!!!"?
    I reckon the quote is more numeric in nature

- - - Updated - - -

To keep with my avatar

"What can change the nature of a man?"
    Ravel Puzzlewell

"Fake it until you make it"

Not so much the faking part. Though it started to click in my mid-20s that my peers were just as unsure/anxious about how to go about things as I was. When I was made a manager for the first time at my restaurant, I was worried I was gonna be fired every day as I learned the ropes. But I just did my best and it all worked out for the most part. When someone else told me that I "always had it together", I thought "Really? If you only know I was a wreck this whole time!"

Just fake it till you make it. Since that point, I always try to project a lot of professional confidence even if I haven't done something before or it's a new project.

Edit: "Surround yourself with good people", that's worthwhile too. Don't spend a single second of time indulging jerks in your life. Even if you think Bob is occasionally funny and you have known him for a long time- any life view incompatibility; cut Bob out.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-01-10 at 04:42 PM.