Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Blizzard fires WoW Classic lead after he protests employee evaluation policy

https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-fir...uation-policy/

Brian Birmingham was fired before he could quit. He refused to go along with "stack ranking".

Active Thread Warnings:

This thread is getting derailed into unrelated and tangential arguments. Return to the topic at hand, and let's drop the nation-bashing and interpersonal snark.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2023-01-26 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Added Thread Warnings
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Typical toxic blizzard still being toxic to employees

the same ppl who always shit on blizzard though are also the same ones who are all like anti pc as their persona and think that society needs more things like the policy he left over

Huh, nothing changed and the greedy, toxic company is still shit even though they named male/female to body type 1/2 and made chromie trans? Man, but what else can they do?

But ABK is a problematic parent company. They put us under pressure to deliver both expansions early. It is deeply unjust to follow that by depriving employees who worked on them their fair share of profit. The ABK team should be ashamed of themselves.
    Yeah, no shit. Wotlk is running worse than a polish private server.

I have mixed feelings here. On the positive side, he seems to have been fired for being a stand-up guy towards his employees.

On the negative side, he was a terrible Classic dev. He didn't make a tweet or blue post about Classic WOTLK for like three months and the whole WOTLK Classic xpac seems to be on maintenance mode. He obviously cared more about the whole "woke" and "body type 1/2" thing than he did making a fun game and keeping his promises like race/faction change.
    Last edited by Arrowset; 2023-01-24 at 02:03 AM.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    He was probably one of the people who would get a bad evaluation in the first place which is why he was against it. Being a lead, he still has to go to the devs for his eval.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

7+ Year Old Account
    Turned down jobs that had a stack rating procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    He was probably one of the people who would get a bad evaluation in the first place which is why he was against it. Being a lead, he still has to go to the devs for his eval.
    I mean obviously he is being evaluated as well. The only ones that are not are the corporate boomers that put this rule into place and are doing more damage to blizzard then the "bottom 5% performing" emplyoees ever could.

Honestly good for him. Hope he finds a place to work where he can be happy.
    Also Blizzard terminating his contract when he was telling them he will resign is just a shitty move on their part. No idea if something like this is handled different in the states, but where i come from thats a big no no.

https://twitter.com/BrianBirming/sta...88536983175168
    I wasn't intending to make this public, but apparently its in the news already, so I'd at least like to set the record straight. I am no longer an employee of Blizzard Entertainment, though I would return if allowed to, so that I could fight the stack-ranking policy from inside.
    https://twitter.com/BrianBirming/sta...88538568622084
    I'm told the forced stack-ranking policy is a directive that came from the ABK level, ABOVE Mike Ybarra. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's true. Everybody at Blizzard I've spoken to about this, including my direct supervisors, expressed disappointment about this policy.
    https://twitter.com/BrianBirming/sta...88557367488512
    But ABK is a problematic parent company. They put us under pressure to deliver both expansions early. It is deeply unjust to follow that by depriving employees who worked on them their fair share of profit. The ABK team should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    I worked at a company that did stack ranking. How it worked was they basically gave you 60 hours of work per week to do as part of your basic job duties, then rated you on how much “above and beyond” you did.

It reduced down to: work 75 hours a week and you get promoted. Work 60 hours a week and you stagnate. Wasn’t really about how good you were, just about how much they could squeeze out of you.
    In theory, it seems a good idea.
    In reality, it only works when the job market is very bad.

Even that, there are always people only work when the job market is good.

Companies are desperate to find ways to fire people without firing them, and this forced fail grading is the new toxic consulting hotness. It's everywhere.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    I mean obviously he is being evaluated as well. The only ones that are not are the corporate boomers that put this rule into place and are doing more damage to blizzard then the "bottom 5% performing" emplyoees ever could.

Honestly good for him. Hope he finds a place to work where he can be happy.
    Also Blizzard terminating his contract when he was telling them he will resign is just a shitty move on their part. No idea if something like this is handled different in the states, but where i come from thats a big no no.
    Them firing him actually gives him the ability to get unemployment to where if he quit/resigned, he would not be eligible.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Twitter Thread he had was a good read.

https://twitter.com/BrianBirming/sta...88536983175168
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It was obvious that blizzard was still a toxic work place with there continued obstruction of the workers forming a union.

They got some youtubers to give them good press about how great they are now while not actually changing much.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

First of I've heard of stacked ranking but wow is that a shit policy. Especially for developers who already put in long hours.

This looks like something the sociopath Bobby Kotick would impose, this is the kind of policy that punishes honest leaders and sets the company on the path of social implosion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Capitalism... uh... finds a way.
    Either find a way to make capitalism work or watch 50+ million die under a communist dictatorship, and dictators kill the best of the human race because they are talented and motivated, therefore a threat to the dictators power.

Quote Originally Posted by Killersoxfan View Post
    Typical toxic blizzard still being toxic to employees
    If you read the article, this is actually the doing of Activision. Comes from Bobby and his lackeys.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2023-01-24 at 04:40 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard just can't stop taking all these Ls.