Exclamation Huge argument with Sister need help asap

Hello everyone.
    Since Month i have argue with my sister (yes also wow player) about changes in her interface and macros after i logged on her account for like 2 min no more no less.
    She`s using some ui addon dont exacly know which one.
    She also blames me for that when i logged on her acc the ui changes itself on her own pc and that my Warrior only macros changes IT self into mage macros with stop cast do there i have few questions.

1. IT is possibile to share my WTF folder with her just by logging on her account ( my WTF folder does somehow interacts still with her account - that`s what for she is angry at me).
    2. Im not using addon UI right now (blizz ui) is there any possibility that my blizz ui customisation interact with her blizz ui.
    3. We Play on different wow accounts , all we shared was that 2 min log on her account on my PC. So there od my question - is there Any possibility for my macros that i made on my account move to her account and change is self from /cast pummel to /cast mage inteuprt.

Please i beg for help im literaly done with explanation, or maybe i'm wrong and i should aplogy.

ALL addon settings are saved per account. No matter how many people log into the same computer, you cannot change the addon settings of another account unless you've been messing with the WTF folder.

The WTF folder is organized like so:

WTF\Account\<acccountFolder>\<serverFolder>\<characterFolder>

The folder names surrounded by <carrots> will reflect who has logged in, their servers, and their character names. Unfortunately, there are some client settings shared between accounts but mostly graphic settings and sound settings. You can see all the shared options in the Config.wtf file in the Account folder.

You can find the addon settings in the SavedVariables folders you can find in the server folders and character folders. There may be a SavedVariables folder in the Account folder, that is an unimportant save location used by some backend Blizzard stuff.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    ALL addon settings are saved per account. No matter how many people log into the same computer, you cannot change the addon settings of another account unless you've been messing with the WTF folder.

The WTF folder is organized like so:

WTF\Account\<acccountFolder>\<serverFolder>\<characterFolder>

The folder names surrounded by <carrots> will reflect who has logged in, their servers, and their character names. Unfortunately, there are some client settings shared between accounts but mostly graphic settings and sound settings. You can see all the shared options in the Config.wtf file in the Account folder.

You can find the addon settings in the SavedVariables folders you can find in the server folders and character folders. There may be a SavedVariables folder in the Account folder, that is an unimportant save location used by some backend Blizzard stuff.
    But how about macros, even if there was some misterious bug on game with keybinds that changes itself, could somehow macros change themselves and migrate to other account. Or even just show up on her account becouse of that two minute log on my PC ? I know macros are saved in game and in blizz servers.

Thanks you for your answer !

Macros are saved locally, not on "blizzards servers".

You can find your macros in your WTF\Account\AccountName folder, as well as under each individual character folder.

There is no way logging in to a separate account can affect someone elses macros, unless you fiddle with it in the WTF folder itself

Well, if the accounts were created after the BNet merger, both likely are named "WOW1", so that could indeed cause some issues with one overwriting the other's files.
    edit: incorrect, see Kanefasi's reply below.

Regarding her UI, I think that's because the UI addon used Blizzard methods to store frame positions etc., which unfortunately get reset if you ever log in without that addon active, I noticed this with the TomTom arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by elfox View Post
    Macros are saved locally, not on "blizzards servers".
    Both, actually, but existing local files should have priority. Which is how OP's macros might have overwritten sister's macros (if I understood that correctly)
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2023-01-31 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Strike out false statement
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Well, if the accounts were created after the BNet merger, both likely are named "WOW1", so that could indeed cause some issues with one overwriting the other's files.
    Account folders haven't been named like that since early vanilla. Through the end of vanilla up to the bnet merger, account folders used your login name, what you typed in the first box on the client login screen. Since the merger, any new account uses a hidden account id, a nine digit number followed by a hash and another digit.

For example, my main account, created Dec 2005, still uses my account name for a folder name, while an unused alt account I had for old neutral AH item transferring (created back in Cata) was 304785539#1.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Since the merger, any new account uses a hidden account id, a nine digit number followed by a hash and another digit.
    Oh dang, sorry, you're absolutely right, forgot about this, I rarely go into my Trial accounts' SavedVars, and just thought of the display in the BNet client's account selection...
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

You can definitely override macros with local copies via macros-cache.txt. But it would be the caches of her account not yours.
    That said, I would hope Blizz's system is smart enough to do some sort of datetime checking to ensure the server copy isn't being overwritten by an old local copy.

In the future, if she logs in and finds her stuff has been overwritten, do the following:

1. DO NOT LOG OUT OR RELOADUI
    2. With the game running, make a copy of the WTF folder, and slap it on the desktop or something.
    3. Exit the game completely
    4. Override the original WTF folder with the copy (do this with a copy of the copy, just in case)
    5. Log back in, everything should be restored*

* If stuff is still messed up. Exit the game and go back to the copy you made in step 2

• If macros are messed up
      1. Delete the macros-cache.txt files for the account and character(s) that are having problems
      2. Rename the corresponding macros-cache.old files to macros-cache.txt
    • If addons are messed up
      1. Go through the SavedVariables folders for the account and character(s) that are having problems
      2. Delete the .lua files
      3. Rename the .lua.bak files to .lua
    • Once you're done changing the files, with the game not running, override the original WTF with the modified copy and load up the game again.

It's also just good practice to make regular backups of your WTF folder. I use RoboMirror to make weekly backups of mine so that if anything catastrophic happens I don't lose everything.
    Last edited by Elvenbane; 2023-02-01 at 03:44 PM.

Dear god guys thanks but even when i did show her everything that you said, she reply with "i dont give a shit about what people say, i know way better becouse i play the game" so thank you all for proving my right but arguing with her is like hittig a wall with a brick... u can't pass anything if she is that closeminded. Again thank you all guys !

Quote Originally Posted by Aiven View Post
    Dear god guys thanks but even when i did show her everything that you said, she reply with "i dont give a shit about what people say, i know way better becouse i play the game" so thank you all for proving my right but arguing with her is like hittig a wall with a brick... u can't pass anything if she is that closeminded. Again thank you all guys !
    If she "plays the game and knows better", ask her to tell you what happened and how to fix it