Page 1 of 36
... LastLast

Florida lawmakers to discuss takeover of Disney self-governing district

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...D=ansmsnnews11

Florida lawmakers will meet next week to complete a state takeover of Walt Disney World's self-governing district and debate proposals on immigration and election policy, as Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis continues to leverage national political fissures ahead of an expected White House run.

Republican leaders of the Legislature, in coordination with DeSantis, on Friday ordered lawmakers to convene for a special session next week to deal with the Reedy Creek Improvement District, as the Disney government is known.

In addition, they will also consider legislation creating a program to relocate migrants and make clear the statewide prosecutor has authority to prosecute election crimes in federal and state races.

The agenda marks a sustained focus by DeSantis on issues such as immigration, election rules, gender and sexuality, with the ascendant Republican focusing on political divides as he positions himself for a potential 2024 presidential run.

The meeting will represent the latest development in a high-profile feud between DeSantis and Disney over the company's criticism over a law dubbed by critics as “Don't Say Gay," which bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade and lessons deemed not age-appropriate.

The governor, in pushing lawmakers to strip the company of its self-governing status, displayed a willingness to go after one of the state's biggest employers and political donors, reinforcing his combative leadership style.

The special session had been rumored to focus on Disney, but Friday's announcement detailing the additional subjects also ensures heavy attention on the governor's approach to voting rules and immigration, key issues of conservative Republican primary voters.

The election crimes prosecution measure comes after some charges linked to the governor's new election police unit were dropped because of jurisdiction issues. The memo characterizes the measure as a clarification of state law.

Lawmakers will also create a program to transport immigrants in the country illegally to another state if they’ve already been processed by the federal government and the migrants volunteer. DeSantis has already used part of a $12-million fund, paid for by taxpayers, to fly about 50 South American migrants from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, in protest of federal immigration policy.

The squabble between DeSantis and Disney began last year, when the entertainment giant publicly opposed the education restrictions and said that it would pause political donations in the state and that it would support organizations working to oppose the law.

DeSantis moved quickly to criticize the company, calling it a purveyor of purported "woke" ideologies that he says are inappropriate for children, and gave lawmakers the ability to eliminate the Disney government as the Legislature was meeting for a special session on redistricting.

The GOP-controlled Legislature in April approved legislation to dissolve Reedy Creek by June 2023, beginning a closely watched process that would determine the structure of government that controls the company's sprawling property.

The memo does not offer much detail on the future of the district, only that the bill will “revise the governance and powers of Reedy Creek Improvement District, while protecting local taxpayers from the District’s debts.”

The creation of the Reedy Creek district was instrumental in Disney’s decision to build near Orlando in the 1960s. Having a separate government allows the company to provide zoning, fire protection, utilities and infrastructure services on its land.

The special session will also adjust language in current laws addressing endorsement deals for college athletes.

Florida was one of the first states to pass a law allowing college athletes to profit off their name, image or likeness, but it doesn’t allow people affiliated with universities to help secure endorsement deals. The proposal would lift that provision to make Florida more competitive with other states that don’t have the restriction.

Lawmakers will also consider a bill to provide more relief money for Hurricane Ian and Nicole recovery efforts, according to the memo.
    So, they are talking about:
    1) Taking over Disney Lands areas and putting the state on the line for paying for the place and taking over the billion or so in debt from it.

2) Start relocating immigrants, so be prepared for more main streamed human trafficking at the tax payers expense.

3) Renewed push for prosecuting Election "crimes". So be prepared to watch a lot of Republicans who actually committed fraud get let off while former convicts who try to vote after the state said they were cleared to getting in trouble for voting while not Republican.

So lots of virtue signaling and damage but nothing productive or in the best interests of the state or nation. Seriously, DeSantis is nothing but a welfare queen who made sure Florida and everyone living there is a welfare queen even if they don't see the money themselves. And that is the guy that is their front runner. Florida survives because it has the nation as its sugar daddy, the nation as a whole doesn't have that option.

Really want to see him try this and for Disney to respond by pulling out entirely and moving the tourism to other states that aren't so eager to strong arm them. It's a sad day when you have someone who makes Disney out to be the good guys.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    So, they are talking about:
    1) Taking over Disney Lands areas and putting the state on the line for paying for the place and taking over the billion or so in debt from it.
    This is how you know they're just really fuckin' stupid.

Disney asked for the right to self-govern at a county or municipal level or the equivalent (I can't recall which, and it's not relevant), which basically just handles administrative concerns in the local region; they're still beholden to State government regulations and laws and standards. It just means that Disney can choose to put in a better water treatment plant (for example) than regulations require and without needing to get local government approval, because they are the local government. It also meant they could run the region at a deficit and make it up via revenues from the parks; this is important because it means they can spend more on servicing than the tax base would otherwise allow for.

So State takeover just means the State takes on debt, has service obligations they can't fiscally meet responsibly, and all the headaches that go along with trying to convert everything over. It literally gains the State of Florida nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is how you know they're just really fuckin' stupid.

Disney asked for the right to self-govern at a county or municipal level or the equivalent (I can't recall which, and it's not relevant), which basically just handles administrative concerns in the local region; they're still beholden to State government regulations and laws and standards. It just means that Disney can choose to put in a better water treatment plant (for example) than regulations require and without needing to get local government approval, because they are the local government. It also meant they could run the region at a deficit and make it up via revenues from the parks; this is important because it means they can spend more on servicing than the tax base would otherwise allow for.

So State takeover just means the State takes on debt, has service obligations they can't fiscally meet responsibly, and all the headaches that go along with trying to convert everything over. It literally gains the State of Florida nothing.
    And if I remember correctly, Disney isn't the only place that has done that in Florida and they had to phrase their stuff in a way to single them out, this is strictly retaliation for them not being as bigoted as the GOP is.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    And if I remember correctly, Disney isn't the only place that has done that in Florida and they had to phrase their stuff in a way to single them out, this is strictly retaliation for them not being as bigoted as the GOP is.
    Its also entertaining that they could technically go to court over first amendment violations for something like this. The state is punishing them for something they said that they didn't like. Government officials are even on record saying as such. If they had not come out against DeSantis's 'Don't Say Gay' legislation then this would not be happening.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man, I wanna see Disney put DeSatan six feet under.

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Man, I wanna see Disney put DeSatan six feet under.
    Given that they apparently still largely put money into republican campaigns something tells me they’ll just shrug and move on. Disney could have come for them way harder over this by now than they have, which is kind of disheartening to realize

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaransan View Post
    Given that they apparently still largely put money into republican campaigns something tells me they’ll just shrug and move on. Disney could have come for them way harder over this by now than they have, which is kind of disheartening to realize
    That really is... I'm disappointed.

I'm sure The Disney administration knows that this is all theater and don't care to get all political just yet.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Its also entertaining that they could technically go to court over first amendment violations for something like this. The state is punishing them for something they said that they didn't like. Government officials are even on record saying as such. If they had not come out against DeSantis's 'Don't Say Gay' legislation then this would not be happening.
    It would be an interesting lawsuit that has implications. But, I can't say it would go anywhere.

Though, it would be funny to see if they would argue the First Amendment doesn't apply to Disney because it is a corporation.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Just a political stunt by DeSantis posturing for his 2024 run.

But the idea of the government targeting specific businesses for retaliation if they make even a minor comment that a politician doesn't like is something you'd expect to see in authoritarian countries. And Coca-Cola got the same treatment in Georgia.

It's also not a well thought out move by Florida financially. A bit over 50 years ago before Disneyworld opened, Florida was a much different place than it is today. It was some mediocre tourist traps, orange stands, and a lot of swamp. Orlando was a small city. Disney's success completely changed Florida, made Orlando a significant US city, and boosted all of Florida financially in a big way compared to what it was. I would hope at least some of the Florida politicians are old enough to remember what it was like there without Disney. Not that Disney will close or move because of this, but it's probably difficult to make a comparison of a more important single business to a state. Which means if they are ok with retaliating against them, they will do it against any company that doesn't "play ball".

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    It would be an interesting lawsuit that has implications. But, I can't say it would go anywhere.

Though, it would be funny to see if they would argue the First Amendment doesn't apply to Disney because it is a corporation.
    says who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosje...rican_Press_Co.

cause the supreme court disagrees.

The Supreme Court, in a unanimous decision, found the tax unconstitutional. The decision held that states could charge customary taxes on media but higher taxes ran afoul of the First Amendment. Specifically, the court found the law similar to the British Stamp Act of 1712 in that it would suppress free speech through taxation and allowing a similar law would be against the clear Founders' Intent of the Bill of Rights.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    says who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosje...rican_Press_Co.

cause the supreme court disagrees.
    Joe, please re-read the post you are quoting.

I know that the First Amendment applies to corporations, I am speaking about a hypothetical action that they being the state of Florida would try to use to justify their actions.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2023-02-05 at 02:29 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure The Disney administration knows that this is all theater and don't care to get all political just yet.
    Disney is bargaining from a position of strength, that's for sure. As @Fugus and @Endus have said, there's a valid risk to Florida taking over Disney's land management again. I am sure both of them are correct.

But there's more. If Disney feels they're really being threatened -- for example, DeSantis trying to make It's A Small World illegal -- they could, potentially, shut down and cripple the state. Disney is about one-fifth of Florida's GDP. That is a chunk of Florida larger than the chunk of GOP who voted against McCarthy, and McCarthy caved with days.

Now, that's really drastic. But so is the government coming onto your land and taking it with a piece of paper. And we know how the anti-gubment folks feel about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Florida government really mad at Disney over LGBTQ support and retheming an out-of-date ride with racist connotations.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Joe, please re-read the post you are quoting.

I know that the First Amendment applies to corporations, I am speaking about a hypothetical action that they being the state of Florida would try to use to justify their actions.
    Gotcha. Yes I misread your statement. My mistake.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Disney is bargaining from a position of strength, that's for sure. As @Fugus and @Endus have said, there's a valid risk to Florida taking over Disney's land management again. I am sure both of them are correct.

But there's more. If Disney feels they're really being threatened -- for example, DeSantis trying to make It's A Small World illegal -- they could, potentially, shut down and cripple the state. Disney is about one-fifth of Florida's GDP. That is a chunk of Florida larger than the chunk of GOP who voted against McCarthy, and McCarthy caved with days.

Now, that's really drastic. But so is the government coming onto your land and taking it with a piece of paper. And we know how the anti-gubment folks feel about that.
    I find it vanishingly unlikely that Disney would shut down operations. What they could decide to do is engage in some much-needed overhauling and redevelopment in their own park spaces, the kind of stuff you'd have to shut down swathes of the park to do anyway, and use this as an excuse to eat the costs related to loss of attendance in the short term to squeeze Florida, who doesn't have the revenue alternatives to prop themselves up while this is all going on.

Yeah, Florida needs that Disney money, being the leech of a state it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it vanishingly unlikely that Disney would shut down operations. What they could decide to do is engage in some much-needed overhauling and redevelopment in their own park spaces, the kind of stuff you'd have to shut down swathes of the park to do anyway, and use this as an excuse to eat the costs related to loss of attendance in the short term to squeeze Florida, who doesn't have the revenue alternatives to prop themselves up while this is all going on.
    Yeah, that sounds like something smarter than a suicide pact.

Or...they could move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like something smarter than a suicide pact.

Or...they could move.
    Move? As in, move the whole of Disney out of Florida? That sounds kinda expensive. Like Trump Wall expensive. Florida would shit bricks should that happen, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

@Santti

If I were a business that operated around the globe and one uppity state like Florida thought they could threaten my business within their state for doing something 100% legal as well as ethical (Not that company cares about ethics but the extra gall of it) and what my customers want and could hurt me nationally and globally if I didn't.

Even if I had invested a fortune in that state, I would wind down my operations and move out, even if they backtracked because they have shown what they intend if they had the influence and in the future they just might. Furthermore, as a company, I know if I bow to them or do nothing, I open the door to other cities/counties/states to attempt the same the moment they think they have leverage and want to follow their lead.

Long term, it would be in Disney's best interests to move given this and would give them a good deal more support on their public image if they did. Even if it took years and cost them in the short term. Similar to how many military bases would start winding down many operations and moving soldiers out if they started with their any LGBTQ+ laws that would hurt military readiness.

Disney can be pretty evil, they aren't stupid and they aren't short sighted.