Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Thumbs up How do you feel about a WoW that is exclusive Premade characters for PvE and PvP?

So imagine it's like how it is now but: you can immediately make a new character as it's done for PTR and Beta realms that is fully geared (practically gear won't play a role) and then you can immediately join a PvP Battleground or an end-game Raiding group.

The advantages of that will be:

1) Nobody will have to grind in order to play at the highest level of this; some people hate it; most people that have quit this game: did it because of lack of time.

2) Perfect competition balance from the get go; nobody can complain they are ungeared; nobody can complain they need another alt/spec of the week.

The disadvantages of that will be:

3) a) lower profits for Microsoft; b) some people may be inexperienced in their class; c) possibly guild-hopping.

It would take a lot of fun out of the game for me tbh. And it would further split up the playerbase.

Mhm, I think that you fundamentally misunderstand what makes people play World of Warcraft.

the journey is the goal

Guildwars 1 had this system for PvP only, the character couldn't leave the PvP areas. For that game it worked because the gearing system was already really flat, and you only had 20 levels - you could max level and gear in a day easily. Everything was about your build and comp.

I don't think it works in WoW, the culture of the game is really against it. Half the fun is doing your stuff each week and grinding the gear. The journey makes the goal worthwhile and adds value to it. Without that the endgame would be more meaningless.

character progression is the main thing of RPGs. if you don't want that, then maybe don't play an RPG?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    no.

/10char

This would only work for the WF guilds and tbh there should be separate realms exactly like this for the race.
    For the rest of us though, the progression is mostly gear-based. What happens when you get stuck on a boss? There would need to be another progress system or boss nerf invented - and at that point you replace one system with another.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    most people that have quit this game: did it because of lack of time.
    [citation needed]

Especially because Ghostcrawler(ya know, someone with actual stats) said that it's mostly because of their gaming group moving away from WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think this would inadvertently short-circuit the underlying purpose of any RPG game, which is player advancement through overcoming challenges to acquire gear, rendering the game stale while robbing it of the sense of satisfaction and achievement that typically compels players to keep at it. Kind of what the RMAH/GMAH did for the earlier version of Diablo 3 - when you cut away the system of progression that is the key component of the reward system, the game loses the lion's share of its charm. You'd wind up with a WoW-themed version of Fortnight or Unreal Tournament.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

So imagine it's like how it is now but: you can immediately make a new character as it's done for PTR and Beta realms that is fully geared (practically gear won't play a role) and then you can immediately join a PvP Battleground or an end-game Raiding group.

The advantages of that will be:

1) Nobody will have to grind in order to play at the highest level of this; some people hate it; most people that have quit this game: did it because of lack of time.

2) Perfect competition balance from the get go; nobody can complain they are ungeared; nobody can complain they need another alt/spec of the week.

The disadvantages of that will be:

3) a) lower profits for Microsoft; b) some people may be inexperienced in their class; c) possibly guild-hopping.
    I think i would just play DotA instead, since we're oversimplifying things anyhow and they are at least experienced at handling such an oversimplified experience.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

That would improve the game immensely for me. PvE is debatable I guess but gear is a cancer in PvP. Competition should always be on even footing no matter what.

There was the pvp tournament server but they wanted more $ to play on it and gave some pet as incentive so not too many cared which then lead to closing it permanently.
    Its like why should a pvp player pay double sub to play their preferred content? So obviously they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    That would improve the game immensely for me. PvE is debatable I guess but gear is a cancer in PvP. Competition should always be on even footing no matter what.
    Yeah but like PVP wise it would just be a world of warcraft based arena fighter over an actual RPG

which thinking on that wouldn't be a bad thing it would be like a generally less exciting Dissidia but unlike Dissidia there's actually a market for it.

I feel like a "PvP Realm" a-la Warmane's Blackrock that's instant max level, has no enemies/npcs in the world other than training dummies and gives you starting gear (It's WotLK so the gear it gives you is ilvl 251) would be fine c:

WoW is, first and foremost, an RPG. I value its RPG core, and I think this idea would be a big blow to that aspect of WoW. I can understand why the idea would hold appeal for many people, but it's contrary to the things I enjoy and value in the game.

I don't think it's worth at all to consider removing one of the key concepts of the (MMO)RPG genre to support the playstyle of, what I believe is, a very small portion of the playerbase. There are tons of games out there that do this already, and they also do it better than WoW could ever do as they are designed with templated characters in mind.

7+ Year Old Account
    I hope you aren't a game designer, because your ideas are pretty terrible

If I wanted instant action, I wouldn't play an MMORPG
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I hope you aren't a game designer, because your ideas are pretty terrible

If I wanted instant action, I wouldn't play an MMORPG
    its not a mmorpg at that point... Server with maxed chars where you only queue for pvp is just a pvp game with unusually fancy lobby.

And the demand was there because there is no pvp game with wow's combat system. There was even a private wotlk pvp server doing exactly that during one of the later xpacs cause people apparently thought wotlk pvp was best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like people that continue to come up with bad ideas to ruin the idea of what RPGs are all about need to piss off.

Go play a moba or fps.

That is not why MOST people have quit this game.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Would be horrible.