Question on Relatiive Mat Values

Quite often I see a 1st level mat selling for more than a 2nd level one of the same type.

Why ?

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Quite often I see a 1st level mat selling for more than a 2nd level one of the same type.

Why ?
    Simply due to the fact that at a certain point you start getting alot more of the higher level mats than the lower level ones. More inventory means lower prices.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Simply due to the fact that at a certain point you start getting alot more of the higher level mats than the lower level ones. More inventory means lower prices.
    That's odd. A glut of higher level mats should drive dowm the prices of those below them, ceteris paribus.

Why ?
    Do you actually see them selling or just listed? Because when you sell a T1 item on the AH the default behaviour is that it just recommends the lowest price of the T1 variant of that good. So it does not check if T2 is cheaper, and you don't actually see that unless you search for all qualities first. And since the T1 don't actually sell (as T2 are more common and cheaper) the price it is listed on does not really drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Do you actually see them selling or just listed? Because when you sell a T1 item on the AH the default behaviour is that it just recommends the lowest price of the T1 variant of that good. So it does not check if T2 is cheaper, and you don't actually see that unless you search for all qualities first. And since the T1 don't actually sell (as T2 are more common and cheaper) the price it is listed on does not really drop.
    Just listed of course. There is no way for me to see what prices stuff sells for. But if people are listing a T1 mat for more than a T2 mat Knowingly and consistently I find that odd. YMMV.

Just listed of course. There is no way for me to see what prices stuff sells for. But if people are listing a T1 mat for more than a T2 mat Knowingly and consistently I find that odd. YMMV.
    Thats the Point, they probably dont do it Knowingly. The just post it.
    On the other hand, they probably also sell them because alot of people also dont look/think when buying stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Thats the Point, they probably dont do it Knowingly. The just post it.
    On the other hand, they probably also sell them because alot of people also dont look/think when buying stuff.
    OK. I would assume the higher priced T1 stuff doesn't sell. I would then assume people would at least try to figure out why
    and fix things. The intimation here is that they either don't relist or blindly relist without even looking at T2 prices. Weird.

there are some vendor items, quests, etc that require mats of specific quality, mostly rank 2 but I think there was a rare that could only be summoned with a rank 1 mat (my memory's a little rusty though). this can have some effect on the demand for lower quality mats