Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    Also, Wrathion doesn't have a bigger body count than Sylvanas, what??? As for the Dragons being "Humans that turn into Dragons" part...

Did you just not ever play WoW? Dragons have ALWAYS been able to turn into Humans, and other races. This isn't new.
    I believe OP was speaking figuratively—the presentation of Dragons in WoW is so humanlike in nature and so oriented around their humanlike elements that it renders them narratively-indistinguishable from humans with Dragons loosely superimposed over them.

There were a few opportunities to create independent factions which could have easily created more opportunities to take the storyline in multiple directions before the shit that was WoD and all that followed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There were a few opportunities to create independent factions which could have easily created more opportunities to take the storyline in multiple directions before the shit that was WoD and all that followed.
    There is no limit to where the story goes beyond the imagination of the writers. Since they tend to choose to go wherever the fans' collective theories don't, you're in for a bumpy ride.

Obviously.

Danuser tried too hard to push his cute OC as the main mastermind of the whole franchise.

The setting was perfectly fine when Sargeras was the "main big bad guy" (as Metzen described him). Once Sargeras was defeated, the Old Gods and Void Lords could have perfectly fit the spot left vacant by Sargeras.

Sargeras and the Old Gods were great villains because they were set-up and built-up over literal irl decades, meanwhile Baldie kind of came out of nowhere once Danuser realized he needed a scapegoat for Sylvanas' crimes.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2023-02-16 at 07:40 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wod was a massive hit to my interest, legion was a massive meh, BFA was a huge boost up through 7.1, then another big hit in 7.2.5, shadowlands shattered the whole scale burned the pieces and threw them out the window.

Dragon flight is pretty much some one going outside to get the pieces saying they can do better, if that’s true is yet to be seen but they seem to be trying.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cough View Post
    I´ve been with World of Warcraft for many years, played every expansion, what kept me coming back no matter how bad the systems or story was the lore, but even that I have problems finding joy in these days

But this expansion in particular seems unengaging. I think it stems from Shadowlands burn out and the fact that Blizzard just can't seem to create new engaging story/lore

First of all, let us go way back. We had the council of tirisfal that basically protected Azeroth and made sure it didn't all go to hell. Then after Warcraft 3 Medivh pretty much says that Mortals no longer have need for a guardian and can take care for themselves. Fast forward to the Cataclysm and one of the biggest criticisms is the same, We can protect ourselves now, so we don't need the aspects to do it for us. They sacrificed their powers and ushered in what they called the age of mortals... Until it wasn't because they are back again, powered up and apparently we need their help again.

God forbid they actually create any new characters. No recycle. Ysera has a literal daughter but let's instead axe malfurion, nullify Xavius´achievments in legion and bring her back again. If there ever was a time to get a new aspect THIS IS IT. Same goes for Alextrasza, I am so sick of her, and I frankly think she has run her course. We. Need. New. Characters!

Nozdormu is alright, seeing as he hasn't really gotten a "major" "major" role in the story so far, but come on, It's just going to go down the path of "If you could only see what I have seen, you would not try to stop me. I only turned to murozond because I saw something terrible in the future, so I decided to go back in time, and delete the entire time line to start everything over without this "Threat""

I will be surprised if they actually end up going to sabellian instead of Wrathion but those chances are slim to none aren't they? It is outrageous that he is even being considered. Sylvanas was considered irredeemable because of her crimes, and Wrathion has racked up a bodycount she could only dream of having, but I guess that one punch back in BFA was punishment enough right?

It is the same generic "Something terrible has happened. "Darkness stirs" "An ancient evil has been awakened" Yada yada dark ominous message. Even the incarnates are like eeeeeh, we've already defeated the people that pay their paycheck, and secondly, we can defeat the supposed titan+ level villain the jailer by stabbing his toes but god forbid we can defeat an oversized storm chicken without the help of the aspects

Dragons have been reduced to humans that turn into dragons. They are supposed to be incredibly strong yet are generic quest mobs. What exactly sets Warcraft dragons apart from dragons from other mediums like Game of Thrones and Eragon? How and why are they interesting?

Mists of Pandaria was more imaginative come on

What is everyones Thoughts?
    Expansion lifespan is ~2 years.

It is expected.

Alternative is longer lifespan, but then you compromise the biggest group of people - those who don't give AF about the story(except for the cinematics after a raid).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Obviously.

Danuser tried too hard to push his cute OC as the main mastermind of the whole franchise.

The setting was perfectly fine when Sargeras was the "main big bad guy" (as Metzen described him). Once Sargeras was defeated, the Old Gods and Void Lords could have perfectly fit the spot left vacant by Sargeras.

Sargeras and the Old Gods were great villains because they were set-up and built-up over literal irl decades, meanwhile Baldie kind of came out of nowhere once Danuser realized he needed a scapegoat for Sylvanas' crimes.
    Eventually you reliaze that Danuser is hired for one thing - making a long story short(we can debate how well is doing that). By the end of the day, you don't have a product cycle that supports anything else.

Ideally - you would write a whole novel(enough material for several expansions). Then you would start releasing the products. But you just can't work like that with this playerbase. And I honestly don't think it's valuable for the audience either.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2023-02-16 at 08:04 PM.

Used to love the Warcraft lore.

But in this exp pack and the last few it became more and more boring and uninteresting.
    For me it basicly started once they made the choice to kill Garrosh and make Thrall a pushover and a guy that can only cry that he is a failure.
    This exp pack the Horde faction has 0 involvement what makes me even question why i would even bother with any lore at all anymore or this franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been apathetic for a while but Shadowlands lore killed what's left. Almost didn't come back for DF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Ideally - you would write a whole novel(enough material for several expansions). Then you would start releasing the products. But you just can't work like that with this playerbase. And I honestly don't think it's valuable for the audience either.
    At this point I'm okay with the lore and world building be it's own separate thing from the game.

A little, yes. I’ve always seen Azeroth as the main character of the series. It’s why I tolerate so many bad characters. This time round, I found I really love the characters of Dragonflight, but no longer feel that buzz of excitement for what’s next for the world, because I know at some point we have to go back to cosmic 3D printed gods and all that crap.

I´ve been with World of Warcraft for many years, played every expansion, what kept me coming back no matter how bad the systems or story was the lore, but even that I have problems finding joy in these days

But this expansion in particular seems unengaging. I think it stems from Shadowlands burn out and the fact that Blizzard just can't seem to create new engaging story/lore

First of all, let us go way back. We had the council of tirisfal that basically protected Azeroth and made sure it didn't all go to hell. Then after Warcraft 3 Medivh pretty much says that Mortals no longer have need for a guardian and can take care for themselves. Fast forward to the Cataclysm and one of the biggest criticisms is the same, We can protect ourselves now, so we don't need the aspects to do it for us. They sacrificed their powers and ushered in what they called the age of mortals... Until it wasn't because they are back again, powered up and apparently we need their help again.

God forbid they actually create any new characters. No recycle. Ysera has a literal daughter but let's instead axe malfurion, nullify Xavius´achievments in legion and bring her back again. If there ever was a time to get a new aspect THIS IS IT. Same goes for Alextrasza, I am so sick of her, and I frankly think she has run her course. We. Need. New. Characters!

Nozdormu is alright, seeing as he hasn't really gotten a "major" "major" role in the story so far, but come on, It's just going to go down the path of "If you could only see what I have seen, you would not try to stop me. I only turned to murozond because I saw something terrible in the future, so I decided to go back in time, and delete the entire time line to start everything over without this "Threat""

I will be surprised if they actually end up going to sabellian instead of Wrathion but those chances are slim to none aren't they? It is outrageous that he is even being considered. Sylvanas was considered irredeemable because of her crimes, and Wrathion has racked up a bodycount she could only dream of having, but I guess that one punch back in BFA was punishment enough right?

It is the same generic "Something terrible has happened. "Darkness stirs" "An ancient evil has been awakened" Yada yada dark ominous message. Even the incarnates are like eeeeeh, we've already defeated the people that pay their paycheck, and secondly, we can defeat the supposed titan+ level villain the jailer by stabbing his toes but god forbid we can defeat an oversized storm chicken without the help of the aspects

Dragons have been reduced to humans that turn into dragons. They are supposed to be incredibly strong yet are generic quest mobs. What exactly sets Warcraft dragons apart from dragons from other mediums like Game of Thrones and Eragon? How and why are they interesting?

Mists of Pandaria was more imaginative come on

What is everyones Thoughts?
    This is exactly what made me Post the question in my Thread entitled: Has WoW gotten TOO family friendly?

Dragons have been reduced to taxi's to your next quest objective...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always seen Warcraft as kind of an Anime.

Like... Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK was the initial spin-off Story Arc from WC3.

Cataclysm Mists and Warlords was the Garrosh Story Arc. Legion BfA and Shadowlands was the Sylvanas Story Arc.

On Topic: Yes. After the "BUT I WAS JUST TRYING TO UNITE THE COSMOS AGAINST THE BIGGER BADDY" ass-pull that Blizzard pulled, I really don't care about the story that much in Dragonflight. "Primal Dragon goes free, releases the other three, dies." Woo.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I mean, that is true, but I think Shadowlands was the final nail that just shattered whatever interested I had left

The Jailer was such a hilariously bad villain It just broke everything
    My god... That was his plan all along!!

10+ Year Old Account
    But Merithra is the new aspect? Ysera is visiting to help guide her through her transition.

Apathy started to overtake me during BFA, then Shadowlands cemented it. I still kind of enjoy the game for what it is, but the passion I used to have is gone.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

The story didn't get worse. It was always mediocre at best.

You just got old and grumpy. 15 years ago you were a kid or a teenager and thought arthas story was fun engaging and original when reality is it was always the most basic fallen paladin trope in a shiny warcraft 3 package. Warcraft lore has always been just a background to the game.

So yeah. Getting old and grumpy sucks I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    What an original hot take, clearly thought out and with deep consideration of how this forum has gone over WoW's story and literary techniques in almost ridiculous detail. No, the story has not objectively gotten worse, the game is still at peak health, and we have always been at war with Eastasia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post

You just got old and grumpy. 15 years ago you were a kid or a teenager and thought arthas story was fun engaging and original when reality is it was always the most basic fallen paladin trope in a shiny warcraft 3 package. Warcraft lore has always been just a background to the game.

So yeah. Getting old and grumpy sucks I guess.
    No, it definitely got worst. Because if what you said was true there would be young gamers flocking in and praising the Jailers storyline the way people did with Arthas some 20 years ago. But there aren't because the story is just poorly written. It has nothing to do with age.

Also its not like all aspects of the new story are universally hated. Denathirus and the larger Revendreth plot were well received by "WoW boomers"
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2023-02-18 at 08:13 PM.

Dragonflight's story isn't out there enough in basic ideas plus a meta conflict between writers like Shadowlands, it also isn't a five alarm constant carfire like BFA. It lacks faction conflict and is centered around dragons, which in WoW have been people in suits since Knaak and were cardboard cutouts before him, so there's not much to talk about.

It isn't about dragons being reduced, WoW dragons have never had any majesty or mystery to them. It's that before they were not center stage, except in Cataclysm, which incidentally had great faction content and a dull, nonsensical shambles of a main story based around shamans and dragons, both sleeping aids. DF is better constructed and mostly harmless, but focuses overwhelmingly on shamans, dragons and shamanic dragons and so until they start fucking with time and space in the end patches it'll continue being mostly disposable.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2023-02-18 at 09:12 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

I was, but DF was well-written enough to pull me out of that slump. It's not like, mind-blowingly fantastic or anything but it's very grounded with its lore and smart about not introducing too many absurd retcons in a story that would inevitably have to include some.

I think there's still a part of me that just doesn't give a shit as much as I used to, but I'm kind of using DF as my test to see if I can get back into it or if I'm too far gone. I'd be happiest if Blizzard would stop including Shadowlands lore at all and just forget it happened, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    No, it definitely got worst. Because if what you said was true there would be young gamers flocking in and praising the Jailers storyline the way people did with Arthas some 20 years ago. But there aren't because the story is just poorly written. It has nothing to do with age.

Also its not like all aspects of the new story are universally hated. Denathirus and the larger Revendreth plot were well received by "WoW boomers"
    No because young players will never flock around a game that's older than them, and least of all because of its "lore". You are just showing a fundamental misunderstanding of how young people think and behave.

Warcraft 3 didn't attract young people because of its lore either. It was the best RTS of its time and that's why it got big...definitely not because it's story.