Page 3 of 155 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Anthony Richardson has all the hallmarks of being a combine hyped bust.
    He was hyped far before the combine. This isn't some workout warrior rising up the boards. His combine really just solidified why he is such a tempting prospect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    He was hyped far before the combine. This isn't some workout warrior rising up the boards. His combine really just solidified why he is such a tempting prospect.
    He wasn't being touted as a top 5 before the combine though, he was ranked 3rd at best on QB boards, often 4th behind Will.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

He wasn't being touted as a top 5 before the combine though, he was ranked 3rd at best on QB boards, often 4th behind Will.
    Yeah but if you look at betting market trends he was shooting up those boards to be drafted highly before the combine. You want to see a true indicator of what people are thinking look at those, because money is on the line there.

Who gives a flying fuck about draft boards, those things are always wrong.

I mean I'm not surprised he jumped ahead of them with his combine performance this QB class is just not that great. CJ Stroud is the most polished but he seems to have trouble throwing into a pattern match zone coverage defense against Michigan which is the same defense half of the NFL runs so idk about that one.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I think the surprise bust of the Combine is going to be Young. He's small, he's light, and I see it as a red flag that he'd rather throw at his Pro Day than the Combine. I expect to see very rehearsed and scripted throws to make him lool good.

Either way, Chicago has to be hating seeing this. They went from probably being able to trade down with a team that needs to jump the Texans and Colts for a QB to maybe nobody needing to move up because there's 4-5 first round options.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

They already practice the throwing drills for the combine, they just don't have the receivers they practiced with. Most college QBs can make the throws with no pass rush in shorts with good mechanics. People put way too much stock in them every year because they forget how useless the drills outside of the 3 cone and shuttle for some positions are. Nothing else translates well to actually playing football.

Only reason I can even think of for them still having the drills to begin with is giving NFL network things to broadcast. The interviews and medicals are the only parts of the combine that matter.

Saints are signing Carr according to reports. This is a huge step up in QB play considering they had Andy Dalton and Jaemis Winston the past couple years. I am curious who the backup will end up being as that is very important in today's game. (It is likely that Winston gets cut or traded). Now I hope the Saints keep Michael Thomas assuming he can come back healthy and that gives them a very dangerous offense with Carr/Kamara/Thomas/Olave/Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if it's the best move, but I like Carr and want to see him do well, so having him on my team lines up.
    Worst-case scenario, last time Denis Allen and Carr were together, Allen got fired after four games, so here's hoping.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't know if it's the best move, but I like Carr and want to see him do well, so having him on my team lines up.
    Worst-case scenario, last time Denis Allen and Carr were together, Allen got fired after four games, so here's hoping.
    I don't know what the best move could have been really, you never know how the draft will go and trading for a QB was unlikely. Of course this could implode and if it does I hope the Saints have an out with the Carr contract. I don't like Dennis Allen but I'm curious to see how it plays out with a better QB.

Fun fact: The Saints have not used a 1st or 2nd round pick drafting a QB since 1971.

I was hoping for some weird Saints draft trade that they love to do and we got Richardson somehow, just see how crazy it could have been. But I will hella take Carr over Dalton.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks to be a 4 year deal, curious the cap hits as most of it will be backloaded into year 2-4 I'm sure.

Also amusing to consider that with Carr now in the NFC the upper tier of QBs in that conference compared to the AFC....well needless to say Carr is in the top group in the NFC with Brady now gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping for some weird Saints draft trade that they love to do and we got Richardson somehow, just see how crazy it could have been.
    I haven't given up on that dream yet.
    /s

Carr $150m over 4 years, $100m guaranteed.

This QB money is TOO DAMN HIGH!!! We can't live out here like this!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

Not just that, he got a No Trade Clause again too. The Saints are utterly screwed if this doesn't work out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Not just that, he got a No Trade Clause again too. The Saints are utterly screwed if this doesn't work out for them.
    I'll take utterly screwed over what we had with Dalton.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems totally fine with me, the guaranteed money is all that matters and that is essentially 25M a year over 4/y which is far better than what some teams are paying for worse QB play. 60M on signing with the money spread out is typical Saints contract stuff

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Well he was making about $40 mil a year, this knocks him into the upper 30s probably. So really it's the same deal as if they traded for him, plus they keep the draft picks.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I'd take Carr on that contract over what a certain AFCW QB got last year. It's going to look low compared to what some other QBs will be getting the next couple years too. It's possible Daniel Jones even gets more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair.

I think I would prefer it too, to either make sure the team has the best shot at turning things around again OR have the long awaited terrible collapse and rebuild. With Dalton or Jameis you were almost certainly getting the latter, just delayed.

I also don;t think any of the current crop of QBs that you can get with the pick you have are worth it. Carr seems a safer bet AND means you don't end up with a rookie starter with all the problems that come with that.

And having a No Trade Clause doesn't necessarily mean you can't trade Carr. Just means he has to approve of it.

But, this is still all a big risk to take, just perhaps a situation that works better for the Saints than for other teams in need of a QB.

The problem is in 2 years (maybe less) you'll want to draft a rookie QB, and you'll waste the two years of his rookie deal having him sit behind Carr, or you cut Carr and take a pretty big cap hit (if I understand the contract right).

NFL contracts always seem to bet big on the best possible thing happening, which, to me, always seems so damn crazy.

The problem is in 2 years (maybe less) you'll want to draft a rookie QB, and you'll waste the two years of his rookie deal having him sit behind Carr, or you cut Carr and take a pretty big cap hit (if I understand the contract right).

NFL contracts always seem to bet big on the best possible thing happening, which, to me, always seems so damn crazy.
    So Love in Green Bay? I don’t care about a QB being drafted and sitting if he’s not better than what they have. Saints don’t draft QBs in rd 1 or 2 and don’t expect that to happen anytime soon unless the team bottoms out hard in a year or two. Also the Saints trade like crazy in the draft and love to use future 1s so not like they might even have one to use. Example is Philly drafting high this year with that Saints pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Fair.

I think I would prefer it too, to either make sure the team has the best shot at turning things around again OR have the long awaited terrible collapse and rebuild. With Dalton or Jameis you were almost certainly getting the latter, just delayed.

I also don;t think any of the current crop of QBs that you can get with the pick you have are worth it. Carr seems a safer bet AND means you don't end up with a rookie starter with all the problems that come with that.

And having a No Trade Clause doesn't necessarily mean you can't trade Carr. Just means he has to approve of it.

But, this is still all a big risk to take, just perhaps a situation that works better for the Saints than for other teams in need of a QB.
    I mean with Dalton as the QB they were rushing to be mediocre every year. Hard to argue the ceiling isn’t higher with Carr vs what they had.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems totally fine with me, the guaranteed money is all that matters and that is essentially 25M a year over 4/y which is far better than what some teams are paying for worse QB play. 60M on signing with the money spread out is typical Saints contract stuff
    That’s not how it works… the 100 mill guarantee means that if they cut him tomorrow they still owe him 100 million. if he plays he gets the whole 150.

It’s another win now move for the Saints, and I’m not really sure why they think they have the tools to win with Carr.
    “Remember, your personal views don't reflect the majority of players.”

-Someone arguing that their personal views reflect the majority of players

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    That’s not how it works… the 100 mill guarantee means that if they cut him tomorrow they still owe him 100 million.
    If they cut him right after his contract is signed they would owe him $60 million...
    /s