Page 3 of 156 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
53
103
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,867
    I don't know if it's the best move, but I like Carr and want to see him do well, so having him on my team lines up.
    Worst-case scenario, last time Denis Allen and Carr were together, Allen got fired after four games, so here's hoping.
    /s

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't know if it's the best move, but I like Carr and want to see him do well, so having him on my team lines up.
    Worst-case scenario, last time Denis Allen and Carr were together, Allen got fired after four games, so here's hoping.
    I don't know what the best move could have been really, you never know how the draft will go and trading for a QB was unlikely. Of course this could implode and if it does I hope the Saints have an out with the Carr contract. I don't like Dennis Allen but I'm curious to see how it plays out with a better QB.

    Fun fact: The Saints have not used a 1st or 2nd round pick drafting a QB since 1971.

    I was hoping for some weird Saints draft trade that they love to do and we got Richardson somehow, just see how crazy it could have been. But I will hella take Carr over Dalton.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Looks to be a 4 year deal, curious the cap hits as most of it will be backloaded into year 2-4 I'm sure.

    Also amusing to consider that with Carr now in the NFC the upper tier of QBs in that conference compared to the AFC....well needless to say Carr is in the top group in the NFC with Brady now gone.

  3. #43
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I was hoping for some weird Saints draft trade that they love to do and we got Richardson somehow, just see how crazy it could have been.
    I haven't given up on that dream yet.
    /s

  4. #44
    Carr $150m over 4 years, $100m guaranteed.

    This QB money is TOO DAMN HIGH!!! We can't live out here like this!!

  5. #45
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,621
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Carr $150m over 4 years, $100m guaranteed.

    This QB money is TOO DAMN HIGH!!! We can't live out here like this!!
    Not just that, he got a No Trade Clause again too. The Saints are utterly screwed if this doesn't work out for them.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Not just that, he got a No Trade Clause again too. The Saints are utterly screwed if this doesn't work out for them.
    I'll take utterly screwed over what we had with Dalton.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Carr $150m over 4 years, $100m guaranteed.

    This QB money is TOO DAMN HIGH!!! We can't live out here like this!!
    Seems totally fine with me, the guaranteed money is all that matters and that is essentially 25M a year over 4/y which is far better than what some teams are paying for worse QB play. 60M on signing with the money spread out is typical Saints contract stuff

  7. #47
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    World of Wisconsin
    Posts
    37,277
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Carr $150m over 4 years, $100m guaranteed.

    This QB money is TOO DAMN HIGH!!! We can't live out here like this!!
    Well he was making about $40 mil a year, this knocks him into the upper 30s probably. So really it's the same deal as if they traded for him, plus they keep the draft picks.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Carr $150m over 4 years, $100m guaranteed.

    This QB money is TOO DAMN HIGH!!! We can't live out here like this!!
    I'd take Carr on that contract over what a certain AFCW QB got last year. It's going to look low compared to what some other QBs will be getting the next couple years too. It's possible Daniel Jones even gets more.

  9. #49
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I'll take utterly screwed over what we had with Dalton.
    Fair.

    I think I would prefer it too, to either make sure the team has the best shot at turning things around again OR have the long awaited terrible collapse and rebuild. With Dalton or Jameis you were almost certainly getting the latter, just delayed.

    I also don;t think any of the current crop of QBs that you can get with the pick you have are worth it. Carr seems a safer bet AND means you don't end up with a rookie starter with all the problems that come with that.

    And having a No Trade Clause doesn't necessarily mean you can't trade Carr. Just means he has to approve of it.

    But, this is still all a big risk to take, just perhaps a situation that works better for the Saints than for other teams in need of a QB.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I'll take utterly screwed over what we had with Dalton.
    The problem is in 2 years (maybe less) you'll want to draft a rookie QB, and you'll waste the two years of his rookie deal having him sit behind Carr, or you cut Carr and take a pretty big cap hit (if I understand the contract right).

    NFL contracts always seem to bet big on the best possible thing happening, which, to me, always seems so damn crazy.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The problem is in 2 years (maybe less) you'll want to draft a rookie QB, and you'll waste the two years of his rookie deal having him sit behind Carr, or you cut Carr and take a pretty big cap hit (if I understand the contract right).

    NFL contracts always seem to bet big on the best possible thing happening, which, to me, always seems so damn crazy.
    So Love in Green Bay? I don’t care about a QB being drafted and sitting if he’s not better than what they have. Saints don’t draft QBs in rd 1 or 2 and don’t expect that to happen anytime soon unless the team bottoms out hard in a year or two. Also the Saints trade like crazy in the draft and love to use future 1s so not like they might even have one to use. Example is Philly drafting high this year with that Saints pick.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Fair.

    I think I would prefer it too, to either make sure the team has the best shot at turning things around again OR have the long awaited terrible collapse and rebuild. With Dalton or Jameis you were almost certainly getting the latter, just delayed.

    I also don;t think any of the current crop of QBs that you can get with the pick you have are worth it. Carr seems a safer bet AND means you don't end up with a rookie starter with all the problems that come with that.

    And having a No Trade Clause doesn't necessarily mean you can't trade Carr. Just means he has to approve of it.

    But, this is still all a big risk to take, just perhaps a situation that works better for the Saints than for other teams in need of a QB.
    I mean with Dalton as the QB they were rushing to be mediocre every year. Hard to argue the ceiling isn’t higher with Carr vs what they had.

  12. #52
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,867
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    That’s not how it works… the 100 mill guarantee means that if they cut him tomorrow they still owe him 100 million.
    If they cut him right after his contract is signed they would owe him $60 million...
    /s

  13. #53
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    16,004
    Derek Carr's agent has to be a run in for MVP because I'm amazed he got such a good deal again and kept the no trade clause.

    Good luck to him though, considering we wanted to trade him with the Saints I'm a bit pissed he denied it only to go there anyway so we got fuck all for him.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

  14. #54
    Mind if I roll need? xskarma's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Netherlands, EU
    Posts
    27,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Saints don’t draft QBs in rd 1 or 2
    Yeah I didn't know this, but apparently the Saints haven't drafted a QB in 1st or 2nd round since like 1970. That's amazing, and possibly not in a good way.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    So Love in Green Bay? I don’t care about a QB being drafted and sitting if he’s not better than what they have. Saints don’t draft QBs in rd 1 or 2 and don’t expect that to happen anytime soon unless the team bottoms out hard in a year or two. Also the Saints trade like crazy in the draft and love to use future 1s so not like they might even have one to use. Example is Philly drafting high this year with that Saints pick.
    A) The Jordan Love situation is not one you want to emulate. We have no idea if Love is gonna be a real QB yet and his rookie contract is almost gone.
    B) He was sitting behind a HOF QB still playing at MVP level, not Derek Carr.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    That’s not how it works… the 100 mill guarantee means that if they cut him tomorrow they still owe him 100 million. if he plays he gets the whole 150.

    It’s another win now move for the Saints, and I’m not really sure why they think they have the tools to win with Carr.
    You do know how nfl contracts work right? You think the Saints are going to end up paying 150 over 4? Lolno

  17. #57
    Immortal Vetali's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,328
    Resigning Geno for 105m over 3 years after seeing that Carr deal makes me feel better. At least Geno played well last season. Carr has been cheeks for a while.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Good luck to him though, considering we wanted to trade him with the Saints I'm a bit pissed he denied it only to go there anyway so we got fuck all for him.
    Cause the Saints wanted him to restructure the deal likely to the one they signed him to. He wasn’t getting the two huge years that were on the Raiders deal if they didn’t cut him.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yeah I didn't know this, but apparently the Saints haven't drafted a QB in 1st or 2nd round since like 1970. That's amazing, and possibly not in a good way.
    Yeah it is a weird statistic and does say some bad things about how the Saints functioned over the years. To be fair they also had Brees forever so no reason to draft one that high during that period.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Reading up on it, it can also be 2 years for 70 million. But again, there’s no reality where they end up paying only 25 mill a year like the poster I was replying to claimed.
    I've seen a lot of different numbers of what he got for signing right away and how the contract is structured. Typically the Saints restructure deals after year 1 or 2 to further kick the can down the road and there is no chance in hell that he gets the money that is tied into year 4 of the deal. But right now it is a sure fire 2 year deal with year 3 being palatable and year 4 a poison pill.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Resigning Geno for 105m over 3 years after seeing that Carr deal makes me feel better. At least Geno played well last season. Carr has been cheeks for a while.
    I'd take Carr over Geno any day of the week. Also I've not seen the entire breakdown on that Geno money as to how much is guaranteed yet.

  20. #60
    Immortal Vetali's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I'd take Carr over Geno any day of the week. Also I've not seen the entire breakdown on that Geno money as to how much is guaranteed yet.
    Not me. Carr is the anti-clutch QB.

    All I heard is 52m over the first calendar year. Probably wont know details for a few days. If its above 65m gt'd I'd be a little more sketched out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •