Page 5 of 156 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It would depend on how much of an issue his broken thumb was last year. The Jets offensive coaching staff is pretty bad, so that is probably the bigger issue.

I have no idea how anyone could have seen Denver's WRs consistently make the mistakes they did under Zach Azzanni and hire him. He is a horrible WR coach.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Aaron Rodgers apparently allowed to talk with the Jets.

Not a situation I enjoy, but if Rodgers can fuck over the Jets for a year or 2 and ruin their cap right as all their important guys are on cheaper rookie deals, that might not be too bad.

Will certainly make extending the Patriots win streak against the Jets tougher though.

But, does anyone think a Rodgers + Jets marriage would lead to a deep post season run, or a title? I can't fathom it would.
    I don't like the idea of the Jets just being "the team Green Bay ships their old QBs to" but since it sounds like the Raiders are not interested, it's probably going to be the Jets.

But yeah same as you I don't think a Jets-Rodgers marriage is going to translate to a deep playoff run. Rodgers can do it, yeah, but I don't know about the rest of that team. For the life of me I don't know a single actually great player that's still on that team. Pretty sure all of them bailed during the Zach Wilson era.

Also, Seahawks are signing Geno to a 3 year, $105 million extension.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    For the life of me I don't know a single actually great player that's still on that team. Pretty sure all of them bailed during the Zach Wilson era.
    lol they only had BOTH rookies of the year, offense and defense. And Quinnen Williams. And CJ Mosley. And several young good O-linemen. Yep, no great players left at all.

It's not the Jets I'm worried about. They are literally a competent QB away from being in the playoffs last year over the Patriots.

I just don't think Rodgers has it anymore, and that he will not jell with the young offense the Jets have nor that he will thrive with the ridiculous NY media. Also question the Jets offensive coaching staff to make all of this work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    When you have guys like Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers signing those mega deals, then yeah these average or slightly above average QBs are gonna go for a good chunk. When the cap goes up, guys are gonna demand more. Guys that signed contracts 2-3 years ago are gonna demand extensions to keep pace with the growing cap. Purdy is gonna demand an extension or trade as soon as their 3rd year is over. Realistically he could be recovering his whole 2nd year and part of 3rd. Gonna be an interesting situation.
    He's not getting Tommy John, there is 0 chance the injury persists into his 3rd year. He might not be healthy to start the season but he will be at some point this year. They are almost guaranteed to get the better part of 2 seasons out of him on 7th round money while teams are paying equal or worse QBs 30+ mil a year.

Mahomes deal also isn't that bad for the Chiefs, it's bad for him but showed he loved and was committed to the franchise. His cap hit is in the low 40s mil every season and easier to budget around than garbage like Rodgers or Wilson's deals. Expensive yes, but will be cheap as fuck comparative to his ability in the 2nd half of the contract. Burrow is going to be making way, way more than Mahomes but Mahomes committed to a 10 year deal because he wasn't that concerned with future money. Best QB in the league but will never have the highest yearly salary of a QB from 2022 onward, so while the buzzword of "most expensive NFL contract ever" was getting thrown around that's just because its a 10 year deal. At the end of his deal random top 20 QBs will probably be making as much money as him.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-03-07 at 08:47 PM.

4 year $160m deal for Daniel Jones. I assume it's really a 2-3 year deal with team options or fake years or something, otherwise that is crazy.

That is definitely crazy. I think Josh is getting something like 43 AAV.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks to be $82m guaranteed over the first two years, so yeah, an out exists in 2 years. But that's still 41m a year for those two years, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's one of the craziest deals I've ever seen for a guy who's mid at best. The Giants must see something that absolutely no one else sees because that is a bonkers contract.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    That is definitely crazy. I think Josh is getting something like 43 AAV.
    Josh also signed his deal like 2 or 3 years ago by now, after which we got all these wildly market resetting contracts, first by Mahomes to set the Total Value and then Wilson, Rodgers and Watson for the bonkers additional stuff and AAV.

If Josh were to get a new contract right now he'd top what Daniel Jones makes by a significant margin.

Hate to say it, but the Josh Allen deal turned out to be really good for Buffalo. They didn;t overpay him, at all, and are actually in a situation with a manageable contract for like 2 more years.

That's still 40+ million you spend on a QB that you are not spending on other positions, but if that's the current norm even for iffy QBs, then you are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    He's not getting Tommy John, there is 0 chance the injury persists into his 3rd year. He might not be healthy to start the season but he will be at some point this year.
    I mean you are talking out of your ass here. The surgery isn't done until friday and there is a chance it could be Tommy John which would mean he could miss a year. You cannot say 0 chance until that surgery is you know, actually done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I mean you are talking out of your ass here. The surgery isn't done until friday and there is a chance it could be Tommy John which would mean he could miss a year. You cannot say 0 chance until that surgery is you know, actually done.
    As of right now it's not Tommy John so who is the one talking out of their ass? If they open him up and it has to be Tommy John that would be a new development, that is not the current plan. I'm sorry you're having trouble grasping this. Yes anything can happen, just like any player could rupture their Achilles playing basketball but we aren't talking about future possibilities. As of right now he is not getting tommy john surgery and is expected back in the early regular season.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-03-08 at 12:23 AM.

As of right now it's not Tommy John so who is the one talking out of their ass?
    He's not getting Tommy John, there is 0 chance the injury persists into his 3rd year.
    I mean the one talking out of your ass? Again, that's you.

You do realize this is not a 0% thing right?

10+ Year Old Account
    The consequences of these 5th year options are getting more and more dire. You can pick it up and be stuck with Sam Darnold for $19mil, or you can decline it and have to give Daniel Jones $40mil a year.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not getting Tommy John, there is 0 chance the injury persists into his 3rd year. He might not be healthy to start the season but he will be at some point this year. They are almost guaranteed to get the better part of 2 seasons out of him on 7th round money while teams are paying equal or worse QBs 30+ mil a year.

Mahomes deal also isn't that bad for the Chiefs, it's bad for him but showed he loved and was committed to the franchise. His cap hit is in the low 40s mil every season and easier to budget around than garbage like Rodgers or Wilson's deals. Expensive yes, but will be cheap as fuck comparative to his ability in the 2nd half of the contract. Burrow is going to be making way, way more than Mahomes but Mahomes committed to a 10 year deal because he wasn't that concerned with future money. Best QB in the league but will never have the highest yearly salary of a QB from 2022 onward, so while the buzzword of "most expensive NFL contract ever" was getting thrown around that's just because its a 10 year deal. At the end of his deal random top 20 QBs will probably be making as much money as him.
    I heard like a week after the SB it was TJ. I hope its not. Dude was fun to watch. No idea how a QB would respond to the surgery, but its pretty much down to a science for pitchers. Usually they are just as good, if not better afterwards. Just the lengthy recovery sucks.

Apparently Geno's contract is heavily incentive based.... which is really surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard like a week after the SB it was TJ. I hope its not. Dude was fun to watch. No idea how a QB would respond to the surgery, but its pretty much down to a science for pitchers. Usually they are just as good, if not better afterwards. Just the lengthy recovery sucks.
    The hope has always been to repair the ligament rather than replace, so we'll see how that goes. Seeing TJ surgery performed on non-pitchers it has had a slightly faster recovery time. Corey Seager didn't need the full twelve months, not sure how it would work with a QB.
    /s

Looks like the Tampa Bucs fire sale or cut cut cut is underway...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-donovan-smith

Will Brady really count ~15% against their cap this year.

Apparently Geno's contract is heavily incentive based.... which is really surprising.
    The hope and plan for repair instead of TJ but they can't guarantee that until they open him up.

I think he would be good after TJ like you said from the pitcher example, maybe even with a bit more zip on his balls after. The shitty part of it ofc would be missing most of if not the entire season(for sure the entire season if we go off pitcher recovery times but not sure for him).
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-03-08 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did we get a chance to talk about this yet?

Player report cards for team facilities and training staffs, a useful primer for free agency.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping it graded medical staff so I could see Miami’s.

Packers and Vikings top 6 in all 3. Isn’t the Vikings stadium brand new though?
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2023-03-08 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    But, does anyone think a Rodgers + Jets marriage would lead to a deep post season run, or a title? I can't fathom it would.
    I certainly wouldn't discount it. The Jets QBs last year threw for 14 TDs to 14 ints with ratings around 75 and a 57% completion rate. The majority of their losses were still one score games. They took a game off the Bills where Wilson threw for 150 yards and they absolutely blew out Miami with him throwing for 210 with zero tds. Even a regressed Rogers could possibly put them in contention, as all they really seem to need is safe/competent quarterback play.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Did we get a chance to talk about this yet?

Player report cards for team facilities and training staffs, a useful primer for free agency.
    Chiefs rank 29th but have 2 recent Super Bowls.

I feel like there's a conclusion to pull from that, but I'll leave it up to everyone to decide if it's good on the front office or bad on the report cards.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)