1. #1141
    Immortal Vetali's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    That's the only logical explanation.
    Nah its clearly Taylor Swift creating a distraction for the team - national media.

  2. #1142
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Im not bothered by it, but i also lived through the Romo - Jessica Simpson ark. Ultimately Swift will be blamed for any failures by Kelce
    That was like 15 years ago. This is a bigger named player who is at the top of their game and a far more successful celebrity. And this is a far bigger social media market in this era than back then. So it is similar sure but not the same either.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Nah its clearly Taylor Swift creating a distraction for the team - national media.
    Yeah I don't think that made Mahomes make two horrible throws.

  3. #1143
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,812
    Or Mahomes is jealous of Kelce because he always had a crush on Swift. That's why Kelce didn't receive a ball for almost two quarters.

    /s

    - - - Updated - - -

    There's Wilson again.

  4. #1144
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,857
    Did these refs seriously just flag that shit?
    /s

  5. #1145
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Did these refs seriously just flag that shit?
    Of course they did, because they hate having a good game not ruined by bad flags.

  6. #1146
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,812
    Technically you could call that holding but if you do, do it all the f-ing time, cause that shit happens all the time.

  7. #1147
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,857
    Refs just hate the advertisers, forcing me to turn the game off and miss the 1000 commercials in the final few minutes.
    /s

  8. #1148
    Great play by Mahomes to end it.

  9. #1149
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    snip
    If you want to argue Bill has been horrendous as a GM (especially in selecting offensive players), that's been pretty much known for 5 years at this point. He is still a great coach. If New England just decided to hire a real modern GM who actually looks at analytics, that would probably be a good idea. If Bill hadn't lucked out on Edelman and Gronk they would probably have 3 less Superbowls.

    On a side note, KC getting bailed out late in close games by bad calls is getting to be a running gag in the NFL. It's a little ridiculous at this point.

  10. #1150
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    32,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    That was like 15 years ago. This is a bigger named player who is at the top of their game and a far more successful celebrity. And this is a far bigger social media market in this era than back then. So it is similar sure but not the same either.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yeah I don't think that made Mahomes make two horrible throws.
    you young? Jessica Simpson was huge at the time, and Romo is literally a Dallas Cowboy QB which is a much bigger deal than a TE of the Chiefs media wise. But yeah, Social media is bigger. Like, peo0ple were regularly blaming Simpson whenever Romo played poorly, media were following both of them around constantly, etc. Pretty much the exact same minus the social media prominence (since it didnt really exist yet)

  11. #1151
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    you young? Jessica Simpson was huge at the time, and Romo is literally a Dallas Cowboy QB which is a much bigger deal than a TE of the Chiefs media wise. But yeah, Social media is bigger. Like, peo0ple were regularly blaming Simpson whenever Romo played poorly, media were following both of them around constantly, etc. Pretty much the exact same minus the social media prominence (since it didnt really exist yet)
    I'm not young, Simpson was 'huge' at the time but it is nowhere near the level of popularity of Swift. Romo may have been the Dallas QB but he was not a great QB. Kelce literally IS the best TE in the league and has been for years. I know there are plenty of Dallas fans but there isn't a shortage of KC fans because bandwagon fans love super bowl winners.

    As I said the situation is similar but it is far more magnified because of social media and just how popular Swift is.

  12. #1152
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    32,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I'm not young, Simpson was 'huge' at the time but it is nowhere near the level of popularity of Swift. Romo may have been the Dallas QB but he was not a great QB. Kelce literally IS the best TE in the league and has been for years. I know there are plenty of Dallas fans but there isn't a shortage of KC fans because bandwagon fans love super bowl winners.

    As I said the situation is similar but it is far more magnified because of social media and just how popular Swift is.
    yeah, this is why I question the youth thing. Romo was legitimately great and had to hard carry some terrible Dallas teams. He'll get stuck in the hall of very good because of the lack of SBs or playoff victories (which is primarily from a COMPLETE lack of defence) Recency bias is a bitch and seems to keep rearing its head.

    and I think you severely undertestimate the number of Dallas fans, lol. Will be interesting to see if Chiefs fans can get close to that level, given the SB runs.

    Social media has just taken the place of traditional media is all. Its easier for regular people to interact, but that doesnt mean there werent absolutely viral traditional media moments, and Romo - SImpson fell into that.

    I was a teenage girl at the time. Simpson was huge in our age group
    Last edited by Crissi; 2023-10-02 at 02:55 PM.

  13. #1153
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    yeah, this is why I question the youth thing. Romo was legitimately great and had to hard carry some terrible Dallas teams. He'll get stuck in the hall of very good because of the lack of SBs or playoff victories (which is primarily from a COMPLETE lack of defence) Recency bias is a bitch and seems to keep rearing its head.

    and I think you severely undertestimate the number of Dallas fans, lol. Will be interesting to see if Chiefs fans can get close to that level, given the SB runs.

    Social media has just taken the place of traditional media is all. Its easier for regular people to interact, but that doesnt mean there werent absolutely viral traditional media moments, and Romo - SImpson fell into that
    Romo was very good with some flirts with greatness but if you take a look at his offensive stats they are not at the level of the top QBs, he was still above average and a Top-10 QB in the league most of the years he played with some Top 5s in there for sure. I think what stops Romo from leaving the Hall of Very Good is that he didn't have enough games played, he only played in 156 games with 127 starts and then there is his 2-4 playoff record.

    I know there are a LOT of Dallas fans, but a nice chunk of those fans were from when Dallas was winning Super Bowls which was a long time ago. They are still the most popular team in the league but I don't think that popularity gap is nearly as wide as it used to be because Dallas has had playoff droughts/losses. As I said many 'fans' love front runners which is where a lot of KC fans have been cropping up (kinda like fake Eagles fans).

    Of course there were 'viral' moments before social media and there was a fair amount of coverage with Romo/Simpson, but it didn't consume nearly as much attention as the current iteration does. Also it is far easier to track the market impacts of such by jersey sales and new 'KC' fans that have popped up instantly because Swift is now part of the 'team'. It is much easier to know the instant impact of such things just due to the data that companies can put out.

    In summary, because I am done talking about this topic, Kelce/Swift is a bigger, more popular, story than Romo/Simpson where there are many similarities but they are different eras so it isn't quite as easy to say oh yeah that one from 15 years ago was a bigger deal.

  14. #1154
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,812
    As a non US citizen with a preference for the Lions and Raiders I have to admit I like the Eagles too but that's mostly because of Hurts style.

    And ofcourse Swelce or Kwift is a bigger couple then anything involving Jessica Simpson. Simpson might have been a thing with the teen US crowd way back when but Swift is a global brand. That said, I think it's best to ignore Tay-Tay for now when talking NFL.

  15. #1155
    I saw Khalil Mack had 6 sacks against the Raiders. How bad is their o-line? That's almost a seasons worth of sacks for him over the last 5 years.

  16. #1156
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I saw Khalil Mack had 6 sacks against the Raiders. How bad is their o-line? That's almost a seasons worth of sacks for him over the last 5 years.
    From what I understand it was the same O-lineman getting beat and they weren't giving any help. Like how many times do you need to get sacked by the same player before you do everything you can to stop that one player from destroying your QB.

  17. #1157
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    From what I understand it was the same O-lineman getting beat and they weren't giving any help. Like how many times do you need to get sacked by the same player before you do everything you can to stop that one player from destroying your QB.
    So the Michael Schofield special. That's how Mack got his 5 sack game when he was with the Raiders, beat the same guy who never got help for all of them.

  18. #1158
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    15,992
    Bosa's out the whole game and no one thought to double team Mack.

    So he played 60 minutes of 1v1, and the inevitable happened.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

  19. #1159
    Immortal Vetali's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    7,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I saw Khalil Mack had 6 sacks against the Raiders. How bad is their o-line? That's almost a seasons worth of sacks for him over the last 5 years.
    ngl I forgot he was in the league.

  20. #1160
    The Lightbringer ProphetFlume's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,942
    Lol that td run. He looked good to me in the moment. If they keep it I won’t be sure if he scored cause the giants got lazy, or there were actual whistles and the giants thought it was over because the refs. The camera cut away in the middle when walker was looking back going wtf as if refs had blown the whistle.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also Romo/Simpson was a big deal for longer, easily. Trying to diminish the popularity of either is ridiculous — Simpson had one of the first legitimate memes. 2 weeks in swift/kelce is more nauseating though because half the media is talking about her and the other half is talking about how sick they are of the media talking about her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •