Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Florida's attacks on the First Amendment continue with latest propsed bill

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...stat-rcna73191

A Republican state senator in Florida has introduced a bill that, if passed, would require bloggers who write about Gov. Ron DeSantis, his cabinet or state legislators to register with the state.

Sen. Jason Brodeur's bill, entitled "Information Dissemination," would also require bloggers to disclose who's paying them for their posts on certain elected officials, and how much.

"If a blogger posts to a blog about an elected state officer and receives, or will receive, compensation for that post, the blogger must register" with the appropriate office within five days of the post, the proposed legislation says.

It defines "elected state officer" as "the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor, a Cabinet officer, or any member of the Legislature."

Failing to register would result in a fine of $25 a day, and the penalty would be capped at $2,500 per posting, NBC affiliate WFLA of Tampa reported.

The bill says the bloggers' reports to the state "must include" the "individual or entity that compensated the blogger for the blog post, and "the amount of compensation received from the individual or entity."

The bill defines a blog as "a website or webpage that hosts any blogger and is frequently updated with opinion, commentary, or business content," but says the "term does not include the website of a newspaper or other similar publication."

DeSantis's office did not respond to a request for comment late Thursday for his position on the bill.

Brodeur did not immediately respond to a request for comment late Thursday, but told the website Florida Politics, which first reported on the bill, that “Paid bloggers are lobbyists who write instead of talk. They both are professional electioneers. If lobbyists have to register and report, why shouldn’t paid bloggers?”

Ron Kuby, a First Amendment lawyer in New York, said the law would not survive a court challenge if passed.

"It's hard to imagine a proposal that would be more violative of the First Amendment," Kuby said. "We don't register journalists. People who write cannot be forced to register."
    Now to qualify the subject, this seems to be a pattern of behavior from Republicans in the Florida Legislature and governor Ron DeSantis. Some links to other recent examples where they were found to have violated the First Amendment -

https://floridaphoenix.com/2022/08/1...stop-woke-act/
    https://www.axios.com/2023/01/21/ron...-warren-ruling
    https://www.npr.org/2022/05/23/11008...ional-desantis
    https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/ne...rs-2021-09-09/

Each of those is a link to a different ruling against Florida on First Amendment grounds in the past 3-4 years. That's an astounding number of cases that I don't think any other state can claim to have close to that number of losses on First Amendment grounds.

This is beyond DeSantis specifically targeting Disney in apparent, and very obvious, retaliation. This is beyond DeSantis's efforts to fundamentally reshape education in Florida and censor educators in favor of installing "patriotic" propagandists who will promote the political interests of the Republican party rather than educate children.

What's going on in Florida that there seems to be such disdain and contempt for Freedom of Speech? Why on earth should bloggers have to register with the state to cover political figures? Why should they, and only they, as private employees have to register with show who pays them beyond what is already legally required for a business to operate?

This seems like a very fucking obvious attack on the First Amendment and a very clear intention to chill medias right to free speech. I'm curious why the rest of the Republican party who continue to claim they are such proponents of the First Amendment, are silent on the issue rather than aghast with what their fellow party member is proposing, and what's generally going on in Florida.

The First Amendment is the same that protects their religious freedoms, and while I don't want to discuss religion, I'd hope a party very concerned with that aspect of the Amendment as they claim to be would be concerned with the rest of it, too. And not just the part they like.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't have any snide, snappy, or witty response to this; the past month and a half of constant bullshit has really worn down my mood.

So I'll just say fuck these thin skinned fascist dipshits and anyone who continues to support them.

Normally, I'd say "pass it, fuckers, just to see how fast it gets slapped down..." But I'm not really as willing to give the courts the benefit of the doubt as I might have been in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can already picture the mindless supporters of this nonsense. "It's no different than telling us we can't say the N-word on Social Media without getting in trouble. Suck it Libs."
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Republicans as a general rule absolutely hate the concept of freedom of speech. See also every single complaint about "cancel culture" (which is just rich people whining about critical speech). What they want is a world where they get to speak their mind, but nobody gets to speak out against them. Which, obviously, is not "freedom of speech", it's privileging speech only for their supporters.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Florida is democratic and the people support those responsible for the laws. I don’t see a problem

I don’t live there. If the people who are there the majority are happy then that’s on them. If they want to change it they have the tools and systems in place to do it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The most dangerous thing about the Trump presidency was not Trump, it was the precedents he set and the savvier versions of him that are now up and coming. Guys like DeSantis and Hawley are far scarier in my opinion. There is a cynical side of me that is hoping Trump gets nominated because I think that is the only way the democrats can win the 2024 election.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    If Florida is democratic and the people support those responsible for the laws. I don’t see a problem

I don’t live there. If the people who are there the majority are happy then that’s on them. If they want to change it they have the tools and systems in place to do it.
    "If Florida is democratic and the people support those responsible for reinstating chattel slavery, despite it being explicitly unconstitutional. I don't see a problem."

Fuck.

Off.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Weimar Republic was democratic and the people there supported the rise of of the Nazis into power. Do you not see the problem there?

Either you do, and you're just shitting up the thread with bullshit you don't even believe, or you don't, and you're actively engaging in pro-Nazi apologism. Take your pick.

Edit: Seriously, where the fuck did this myth that democracy is a panacea for humanity's ills come from? That's not directed just at you, Doc, it's to everyone. Democracy has never acted that way. The purpose of democracy is to get in the way of legislation and make passing new laws irksome and difficult, in the hopes that you'll pass less horrible legislation. Not that it will produce more good legislation faster. It's absolutely godawful at that.

And democracy doesn't always work out. Again; see the Weimar Republic's fall to Nazism as a super-obvious example.
    Last edited by Endus; 2023-03-03 at 03:58 AM.

Whilst this is a pretty stupid bill how is this not a self own at the same time? Conservatives love astroturf like paid blogging. The GOP is far, far more likely to pay for hit pieces on the opposition then the other way around?

10+ Year Old Account
    Even the part

The bill says the bloggers' reports to the state "must include" the "individual or entity that compensated the blogger for the blog post, and "the amount of compensation received from the individual or entity."
    ?

If politicians can conceal the identity of their donors through PAC/Super PACs, which they can, making journalists who talk about politicians required to disclose their paycheck should also be concealed. Politicians should be as open as journalists.

Also, the assumption being pushed by this bill is that people are being paid by shadow money to write hit pieces. Fearmongering without basis.

Hey @tehdang we see yet another member of your party expressing the increasingly mainstream Republican viewpoint of censoring the press. You going to condemn that too? Or is it only okay when your party does it? Asking for a coward hypocrite.

This kinda stuff is literally against the Constitution of the United States. Blatant violation of the First Amendment.

If a person wants their country to have this kind of oppression, they should go live in a more oppressive country.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Whilst this is a pretty stupid bill how is this not a self own at the same time? Conservatives love astroturf like paid blogging. The GOP is far, far more likely to pay for hit pieces on the opposition then the other way around?
    Well, if the only people in office are members of the GOP, the only people who would be criticizing them are the filthy libruls. That, and they excluded the websites of news publications...so their astroturfed bloggers can just post there instead of on unaffiliated websites.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The Weimar Republic was democratic and the people there supported the rise of of the Nazis into power. Do you not see the problem there?

Either you do, and you're just shitting up the thread with bullshit you don't even believe, or you don't, and you're actively engaging in pro-Nazi apologism. Take your pick.

Edit: Seriously, where the fuck did this myth that democracy is a panacea for humanity's ills come from? That's not directed just at you, Doc, it's to everyone. Democracy has never acted that way. The purpose of democracy is to get in the way of legislation and make passing new laws irksome and difficult, in the hopes that you'll pass less horrible legislation. Not that it will produce more good legislation faster. It's absolutely godawful at that.

And democracy doesn't always work out. Again; see the Weimar Republic's fall to Nazism as a super-obvious example.

Alright but here’s the thing. What are the options?

I don’t agree with this but then again I don’t agree with a lot of things therefore I’m in no real position even with an opinion to do anything.

I also don’t agree with absolute speech. So again I don’t like it.

But I don’t live in Florida so aside from that the only thing I feel I can do is Not support Florida or any business whose dollars might go towards Florida. But I’ll admit visiting Disneyland as opposed to Disney World isn’t going to have much of an impact.

Getting the word out amplifying the this is happening in Florida. But even then it’s Florida and it’s people that have the power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    "If Florida is democratic and the people support those responsible for reinstating chattel slavery, despite it being explicitly unconstitutional. I don't see a problem."

Fuck.

Off.
    They aren’t instituting slavery. They are legislating speech. Which arguably is unconstitutional. Speech has never been absolute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright but here’s the thing. What are the options?
    To what?

You keep asking half-questions and it's impossible to figure out what you're getting at.

They aren’t instituting slavery. They are legislating speech. Which arguably is unconstitutional. Speech has never been absolute.
    They don't have to "institute slavery". The USA never banned slavery wholesale, in the first place.

And the limits to the First Amendment are clear. "Being critical of the government" is protected speech. Which is a position this Florida law attacks, directly.

10+ Year Old Account
    To what?

You keep asking half-questions and it's impossible to figure out what you're getting at.

They don't have to "institute slavery". The USA never banned slavery wholesale, in the first place.

And the limits to the First Amendment are clear. "Being critical of the government" is protected speech. Which is a position this Florida law attacks, directly.
    What about this or any law insures slavery?

10+ Year Old Account
    What about this or any law insures slavery?
    Why are you deflecting? I never said it did. You're the one who brought up slavery. I just mocked that deflection. And now we're here, with you deflecting again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you deflecting? I never said it did. You're the one who brought up slavery. I just mocked that deflection. And now we're here, with you deflecting again.
    No I didn’t bring it up. I was responding to it because someone Bushido did. And you started talking about whole sale slavery not being banned.

My point was that isn’t happening here.

The OP is an oppressive law in my opinion. But if that’s what Florida wants. Not much can be done.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The OP is an oppressive law in my opinion. But if that’s what Florida wants. Not much can be done.
    It should get taken to the supreme court and slapped down like every other time Florida Republicans decided they don't like people being mean to them. The precedent a bill like this could set, if unchallenged, is fucking terrible for everyone no matter who's side you're on and would just open the door to even more abuses of our rights.

We shouldn't just watch backsliding with this with a hapless shrug and a 'oh well the voters did vote for them'.

Edit: Also considering sites like Twitter classify as micro-blogging websites, this would requires anyone who shit talks DeSantis or the florida legislature on twitter to register themselves with Florida. And I'm sure my ass sitting four states away didn't vote for this clod to deal with the consequences of his authoritarianism.
    Last edited by Xyonai; 2023-03-03 at 06:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    It should get taken to the supreme court and slapped down like every other time Florida Republicans decided they don't like people being mean to them. The precedent a bill like this could set, if unchallenged, is fucking terrible for everyone no matter who's side you're on and would just open the door to even more abuses of our rights.

We shouldn't just watch backsliding with this with a hapless shrug and a 'oh well the voters did vote for them'.

Edit: Also considering sites like Twitter classify as micro-blogging websites, this would requires anyone who shit talks DeSantis or the florida legislature on twitter to register themselves with Florida. And I'm sure my ass sitting four states away didn't vote for this clod to deal with the consequences of his authoritarianism.
    Yeah not much legally goes unchallenged. I think the long game it’ll create a us vs them which will work for DeSantis.

And if he runs for President Florida will be a huge state in his favor.