Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RelaZ View Post
    Lots of "I want it" snowflakes in this thread who can't fathom the idea of skill and time exclusivity being a good thing.
    And why is it a good thing exactly? I mean, i just see ppl claiming its good thing but dont say why it is since 6 pages of that thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesis View Post
    And why is it a good thing exactly? I mean, i just see ppl claiming its good thing but dont say why it is since 6 pages of that thread
    It incentivizes players to participate in the game content while it's actually relevant. How is that not a good thing?

If the players knew they could just get the elite gear for free if they waited for a year, then why should they bother pushing themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesis View Post

I know there is the prestige and all, but people also have achievements and titiles to show their prestige no?

You can hardly wear achievments, and while you can wear titles, it's just a line of text, it will never be as striking and cool as a piece of gear.
    Last edited by Fistfighter; 2023-03-27 at 01:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RelaZ View Post
    This discussion is on the participation trophy level, which I thought we'd moved way past as a society. But then again, Blizzard's really bending over backwards for that kind of crowd these days so I wouldn't be surprised if they do make the wrong decision yet again and decide to hand out things that used to be exclusive and cool like candy to whatever drooling fool who managed to get 1.8k/2k with sky high inflation on a randomly overpowered spec in a completely different season.
    So here you admit that each seasons there is a "sky high inflation on a randomly overpowered spec" the thing is just every seasons it is a different one, good you prouve then its not a matter of skill!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    It incentivizes players to participate in the game content while it's actually relevant. How is that not a good thing?

If the players knew they could just get the elite gear for free if they waited for a year, then why should they bother pushing themselves?

But yeah you said it yourself, all you want is to "look cool" there is nothing really about the set themselves thought, all you want is to look cool because you have a special gear that will be no longer available, you dont care about how it actually look...if thats not a snowflake attitude =p

You can hardly wear achievments, and while you can wear titles, it's just a line of text, it will never be as striking and cool as a piece of gear.
    You are literally not wanting to let go here, you just be like "no ppl must play when its relevant" the thing is, if ppl know they wont get it, they wont play it either you know? But you prefere to see only ONE side of the thing rather than both sides, the thing is, a lot of ppl dont play the seasons anyway because they dont want to bother for multiples reasons so what you say dont apply.

Also, games like Monster Hunters did prouve that putting rewards on rotations (as well as trading post) were healthy for the game. The idea is to keep player subed, not to hold on rewards, if you put multiple rewards like let say, if you reach once the 1.8k you can get some token that allows you to buy any elite set of previous season, then you can get another that allows you to buy another etc ppl will play the game a lot more actually....
    Last edited by Ameonna; 2023-03-27 at 03:02 PM.

I think that old elite sets should be made available to all players but with a different color variation compared to people who got them in the past.

That way you still retain the prestige of players who got the mounts/titles/pets/transmog when they were current and new players still get to enjoy the sets. It's a best of both worlds scenario.

Monster Hunter is just a single game.
    Almost every single game with a competitive scene has trophy rewards you cannot obtain anymore after that season is over. This is across every genre, not just RPGs. This includes games that are actually far more successful than WoW, and the only thing WoW is lacking in comparison to several of these games is better rewards for players not good enough to earn those trophies. XIV did a seasonal rewards track, but XIV also flat out took out it's arena mode entirely so.

If somebody did not earn the trophy, you did not earn it.

Better question is why do you even care if they are gone and no one sees them, you can't even browse them under the appearances tab.

- - - Updated - - -

Can we also hand out old World War 2 medals, because most people don't see them that often these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post

Elite gear hasn't been 2k since last season of Legion or something. It's 1800 now and not that much prestige. Mounts however are and still would be. Thing is, one seasonal token to get old Elite mogs incentivizes even more so than just the farming current season. Imagine Shadowlands, every Elite mog was actually disgusting. If it were a token to buy an old mog on top of that I would be much more willing to push several classes. I'm not really stoked on any mog this season either except the warrior and shaman. In the end, what's the point of keeping us from certain mogs? It's nothing but loss of customization. Like I've argued previously, some patches have Mythic raids that are much harder and more prestigious than 1800 in PvP and vice versa. We're still allowed to farm Mythic freely in an expac or two. It's gonna be the Tier 3 thingy, eventually so few people will have certain sets that it's gonna end up as un-used assets if not obtainable on some level. We're talking pixels here. Legion wasn't exactly alt friendly and there's a lot of elite mogs and Mage Tower pieces I missed out on because of that. Now WoW is going a completely different direction with PvP participation being the most accessible it's ever been and I have 6 classes I play compared to two in Legion. So if it were not so gated back then I'd have all that I wanted, because the content it required to be obtained isn't what drained my time but rather the prerequisites to participate in it. So in today's game philosophy, it would suddenly be very unfair. I couldn't obtain what I wanted because I didn't have time to level, gear, farm AP, farm the right MT items and farm the right legendaries on 6 different tunes. I played the shit out of that expac. Am I never gonna be able to customize my characters like I want to just because the gating was extreme back then?

Prestige is a prison if we can't acquire old mogs for acquiring the same rating on the future patches.

If you aren't pushing for sets now, you aren't going to be pushing for extras in the long term.
    Returning trophy rewards is just a band-aid temporary fix to getting people into PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Monster Hunter is just a single game.
    Almost every single game with a competitive scene has trophy rewards you cannot obtain anymore after that season is over. This is across every genre, not just RPGs. This includes games that are actually far more successful than WoW, and the only thing WoW is lacking in comparison to several of these games is better rewards for players not good enough to earn those trophies. XIV did a seasonal rewards track, but XIV also flat out took out it's arena mode entirely so.

If somebody did not earn the trophy, you did not earn it.
    A better comparison would be World of Warcraft, since it's the same game.
    Almost every PVE reward is still available. When Blizzard adds a PVE reward that will be permenantly available, that's still not enough - people bemoaned a mythic mount existing to the point it's now also just a rare drop from normal.

The reasons these threads exist isn't because people don't understand why exclusive trophies are a thing, it's why they're a thing in explicitly one area of the game but the other area has had it's trophies eaten away and handed out like candy over the games lifespan, but you can't even add a different cloudserpent with a hat without enough backlash that it's removed from the game entirely.
    The double standards are mindboggling, and I say that as someone who thinks these things have a place.

Nothing should be removed from being obtainsble in the game.
    Everything should remain obtainable.

This goes doubly so for any story-related content.

You want prestige? Go do something that actually matters.

Though i am not against maintaining their relation to achievement; to get an old elite set it's not too much to ask to get the same (or similar, in case systems have been removed) requirements as the old set had.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameonna View Post
    So here you admit that each seasons there is a "sky high inflation on a randomly overpowered spec" the thing is just every seasons it is a different one, good you prouve then its not a matter of skill!
    Again this warrants another response - and I see this ridiculous point over and over again made by proponents of this particpation trophy idea. Talk about not getting the point. At all.

If Bob managed to get, let's say elite gear in S15 on his Ret Paladin while his class/spec was trash, that is quite impressive.

Assuming we're in your fantasy world where "rare" sets are handed out like candy, Alice then goes ahead and buys S15 elite gear in S23 with her 2K rating, but at this time it was the most OP spec in the game - and inflation is +400 rating as compared to how it was in S15.

Now, how am I supposed to know if Bob's S15 was acquired "when it was good", or if it's just a welfare set without doing a thorough background check on Bob? I don't - and that's why the gear is no longer cool, it's been devalued.

In the current world (not your fantasy), the S23 Elite Paladin set would already be heavily devalued in comparison to other sets because of the already previously mentioned reasons (Paladin being god-tier and inflation being ridiculously high). This is a wanted behaviour, some season are easier than others - that doesn't entitle you to get the rewards from previous seasons, when it was hard.

Note: Season numbers and classes/specs are arbitrary, not the point here - I just picked them randomly.

I think wow is in a pretty good spot with the amount of content that gets removed after a season is over.

There needs to be some incentive to play the current season, not just log in and 1 shot everything 5 years later.

I think people wanting everything in game are rather selfish, I suck at pvp, but if I thought I'd want something from there, I'd give it a good try, not just oh, nice pvp thing, I'll get it when it's free.

Same thing for PvE, look at the state of the mage tower currently, you can blow some of the bosses up in less than 2 minutes now. Things like that can't stay in for constant rebalancing, out it goes and in with something new next season.

Could something like getting a single armor token for getting gladiator in a later season work? possibly.

5+ Year Old Account
    It's only a matter of time before Blizzard will bring them back in some cool way. Just look at tier 3.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    It's only a matter of time before Blizzard will bring them back in some cool way. Just look at tier 3.
    T3 was never developed with the intention of being removed from the game.

It'll happen, I suppose the question is when. I'm sure it'll be a token based system that allows you to buy it after hitting a certain rating.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    There’s no good reason to have them be unavailable but blizzard would rather listen to the special snow flakes then drive more people into more PvP and that seems unlikely to change sadly.
    you can thank the forums for that one, blizzard asked if they should bring back old elite sets back in legion and everyone just went "nO tHeY dOnT dEsErVe To HaVe It" so blizzard never implemented it, and then people are surprised people dont want/have interest in pvp. I have a few elite sets myself and i wouldnt mind one bit if they were all avaible again. if anything, it would help to give people a incentive to do pvp, especielly since things like glad mounts and stuff is extremly out of reach (and limited to 3v3 in non solo shuffle setting).

15+ Year Old Account
    The PvP community threw a collective hissy fit when this subject was last broached. It's fine that we can solo old raids for titles and mythic mogs though. One group has a very fragile ego.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaloff View Post
    you can thank the forums for that one, blizzard asked if they should bring back old elite sets back in legion and everyone just went "nO tHeY dOnT dEsErVe To HaVe It" so blizzard never implemented it, and then people are surprised people dont want/have interest in pvp. I have a few elite sets myself and i wouldnt mind one bit if they were all avaible again. if anything, it would help to give people a incentive to do pvp, especielly since things like glad mounts and stuff is extremly out of reach (and limited to 3v3 in non solo shuffle setting).
    Good! You can no longer obtain the MOP dungeon challenge mode transmogs either!

Elite gear and the likes is a symbol of performance, not just a transmog, and I agree that such symbols should remain bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    The PvP community threw a collective hissy fit when this subject was last broached. It's fine that we can solo old raids for titles and mythic mogs though. One group has a very fragile ego.
    Insulting people just proves this comes from jealousy.
    How many times do people have to point out you can't go back and "solo" old M+ seasons? Challenge modes? AotCs? ToGC limited attempt rewards? Hall of fame titles? You know, the stuff from PvE that's based on competing and doing things during a season.
    Every single competitive game has trophy rewards. Earn them, or stop playing online games that have them if your ego is that fragile that not having a recolour of a set upsets you.

It's literally that simple.