Page 1 of 92
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are Evokers getting a new spec?

If so, what do you think it would be?

https://www.wowhead.com/news/datamin...0-1-ptr-331802

I admit that it's quite unprecedented, but that doesn't mean it isn't something that Blizzard would attempt.

If I had to guess, I would say its a faux-ranged tank (see SWTOR) that utilizes the Evoker's reduced spell range to justify a tank caster. That would work with the class' current dynamics, and match the thematics of the Black Dragonflight. I feel that "support" can mean tank as well.

Anyway, what do you think? Will Evokers get a third specialization mid-expansion?

Here are some developer quotes which show a rather strong history of openness and consideration in terms of a 3rd spec;

“This class is initially only going to have two specializations, there’s certainly room in the future to add a third, but for now range dps and healer is where we’re focused.”
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/ion-haz...326855?webhook

This is a spellcaster class at its core. The class is initially only going to have two specializations, but if they do have a third, ranged dps and healer is where they’re focused.
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/dragonf...danuser-326869

We can consider (a tank spec) but for now we really want to focus on the two current Dracthyr specializations . There is a lot to do with a new race, a new class, new talents and adjusting all that will be complicated but later we are open to new ideas.
    https://www-breakflip-com.translate...._x_tr_pto=wapp

EDIT: PICS!!

Clue #1 The quest:

Clue #2 The dialogue from 10.7 (Dracthyr had their black dragon essence drained, which crippled them). We will be fighting this character in 10.1.;

Clue #3 we battle Adamanthia the lackey who drained essence from the Dracthyr and who presumably releases energy while we fight her;

Clue #4: Stoneclaw, a Dracthyr (possibly Evoker) tank

Clue #5: Scalemaster Sakareth; the final Evoker boss in the new Aberrus raid that takes place in Neltharion's old digs, has phases called "The Legacy of the Dracthyr" and is using Void magic after seemingly absorbed black dragon essence from Neltharion;

Clue #6: User @Auxis linked a reddit post that possibly showcases new spells for the 3rd Evoker spec hidden in the PTR files (Electrical abilities?);

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...ning_findings/

Clue #7: Evidence of a sixth dragonflight to be revealed in 10.1:

https://www.reddit.com/r/warcraftlor...flight_in_101/

Clue #8: Emberthal and the Adamant Vigil:

A Weryn of Dracthyr that were destroyed when the primals attacked at the beginning of dragonflight. Their leader, Emberthal is still active, and is the one who sends us on the specialization quest. Each weryn represents a specialization of the Evoker (Ebon Scales: Devastation, Healing Wings: Preservation), and this Weryn quite possibly represents a lost 3rd spec. This Weryn is visibly utilizing 2h weapons. Evokers can also use 2h Axes, Maces, and Swords, weapons that a spell-casting class really aren't going to use. This could indicate a tank or melee DPS spec.

Clue #9: Ion's interesting interview;

PTR Testing and Secrets

They have considered giving certain rewards to players who test things, but it would require a public beta. Currently, WoW betas are invite only and that feels unfair and wrong if they were to give special rewards. If they have something that requires a lot of testing on to make sure it's going to be a good experience, then it's something they definitely consider.
    There is content that is encrypted on the Patch 10.0.7 PTR.
    Blizzard trying to keep as much as they can secret (not necessarily in the Jeremy Feasel big "Secret" sense), even just things that are unexpected that haven't been seen. They want every patch release to have some secrets and the Forbidden Reach is a place that is ripe for exploration and things to uncover.

There are no plans to standardize special items like the Evoker Staff, Kharnalex, The First Light. They do this where it makes sense to have bosses drop weapons or other things that are flavorful or themed to a single class like the Dagger or Legendary Bow from Sylvanas. Evokers will probably be interested in what Commander Sarkarth may have for them when we get there though.
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/wow-eu-...-10-0-7-331998

Clue #10: Neltharion's voice lines in 10.1;

In 10.1, we get new voice lines from Neltharion describing the three Dracthyr Weryns and their purpose. As suspected, each Weryn outside of the faction weryns represent a specialization in the Evoker class;

You three shall be the examples all Dracthyr will follow.
    Sarkareth, my devastator, you shall rend your foes with the powers of the Red and Blue Dragonflight.
    Viridia, my preserver, you shall heal our allies with the graces of Green and Bronze Dragonflights.
    As you can see, Sarkareth and Viridia's Weryn's represent the specializations we have now. Then we get to Emberthal, the scalecommander currently traveling with Ebyssian;

And Emberthal, you will wield the essence of the Black Dragonflight to augment all those around you with my power.
    By my command, kneel and obey.
    So we have "Augment" being the purpose behind Emberthal's weryn. This is further backed up by the edict of the Adamant Vigil, the Weryn that Emberthal led;

Where our enemies tread, you will find them. Where our armies fly, it will be your guidance that directs their talons. Learn the weaknesses of our foes and amplify the strength of our allies.
    "Amplifying the strength of our allies" falls right in line with "Augmentation"

There's also this part;

Only the most bold, most cunning, and most gifted commanders shall join the ranks of the Adamant Vigil. This weyrn shall be granted unprecedented authority to act on its own initiatives, and shall answer to only Scalecommander Emberthal and the Earth-Warder.
    That sounds like a leadership role, and that alongside the buffing and debuffing abilities leads me to think this is a tank spec. We'll see soon enough one way or another.

Clue #11: Ion's two interviews

The lead designer of WoW, Ion Hazzikostas, stated that there would be no Evoker 3rd spec in patch 10.1. He reiterated this again in an interview a few days later. What makes this interesting is that when asked about a DH 3rd spec, Ion said that there would be no DH 3rd spec during the entirety of Shadowlands. He also stated that there were no plans for a Demon Hunter third spec, and three years later, there is still no DH 3rd spec. Due to this difference in addressing a similar circumstance, an Evoker 3rd spec could be coming to dragonflight after 10.1, as indicated by Ion.

Clue #12: The Hidden Evoker Legendary

https://www.wowhead.com/news/evoker-...poilers-332864

In 10.1 an Evoker legendary was datamined. This legendary is different from other legendaries in that its being hidden by Blizzard, something Blizzard hasn't done with any other legendary weapon. This secrecy around items and abilities related to Evokers and Neltharion is a continuation of what we saw with the PTR specialization quest that began this thread over 2 months ago.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-05-10 at 11:57 AM.

I might expect this could be the first steps towards “unlocking” more classes for dracthyr.

^^^ Looks to be wrong, lot of evidence, seemingly ^^^

Don’t get me wrong, a new spec would be an awesome mid content release. I’d expect more testing to be needed to release whole new spec with new spells/mechanics.

The vague descriptions thus far make me think it might be more of a healer than anything else but time will tell!
    Last edited by Trazzle; 2023-04-05 at 02:16 PM.

Ive personally really wanted to see a reverse-healer, that casts spells on areas and enemies to place like, reverse disc shields that reduce outgoing damage by a flat amount.

I guess the same principle could be applied to a support class, like casting a "damage" spell onto an ally. But I'd really hope those would have flat numbers, instead of like percentages that would be a lot more wonky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazzle View Post
    I might expect this could be the first steps towards “unlocking” more classes for dracthyr.

Don’t get me wrong, a new spec would be an awesome mid content release. I’d expect more testing to be needed to release whole new spec with new spells/mechanics.
    That would be the safe (and boring) option. However, why would that option be considered a specialization? Also the quest is for Evokers only. Something like that would make more sense for all classes.

Also "New Specialization" kind of says openly that it's a new specialization for Evokers. We'll see. I do think a caster-tank would be very interesting.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    No we are not getting a new spec. Blizzard even said so, and there’s nothing else even hinting at a new spec in the files. No spells datamined, no new spec strings, nothing.

At most we’re getting one of these:

1. Other classes added to Dracthyr.

2. Black dragon fire.
    (Essentially like green fire. Swapping red spells & some other spell visuals for black dragon visuals)

3. More Dracthyr customization. (Most likely Emberthal’s skin tone/secondary colors… though least likely some void customizations like the bosses.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Ive personally really wanted to see a reverse-healer, that casts spells on areas and enemies to place like, reverse disc shields that reduce outgoing damage by a flat amount.

I guess the same principle could be applied to a support class, like casting a "damage" spell onto an ally. But I'd really hope those would have flat numbers, instead of like percentages that would be a lot more wonky.
    What makes me question the notion of it being a healing spec is that it is connected to the Black dragonflight.

I will say though that it would be interesting if they mix some void abilities into a new spec. A nice mix of Earth and Shadow spells!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post
    No we are not getting a new spec. Blizzard even said so, and there’s nothing else even hinting at a new spec in the files. No spells datamined, no new spec strings, nothing.

At most we’re getting one of these:

1. Other classes added to Dracthyr.

2. Black dragon fire.
    (Essentially like green fire. Swapping red spells & some other spell visuals for black dragon visuals)

3. More Dracthyr customization. (Most likely Emberthal’s skin tone/secondary colors… though least likely some void customizations like the bosses.)

Blizzard also said we're not getting flying outside of Outlands, and we're not going to get WoW classic.

Yet here we are.

That said, yeah, I could see it being something like the green fire quest (which sucks).

1+ Year Old Account
    That said, yeah, I could see it being something like the green fire quest (which sucks).
    Tbh just having it be a spell/spec reskin would also explain why they didn’t add glyphs to Dracthyr… because most of the glyphs they would’ve added are just unlocked via that quest.
    Chen isn't a Monk

If so, what do you think it would be?

https://www.wowhead.com/news/datamin...0-1-ptr-331802

I admit that it's quite unprecedented, but that doesn't mean it isn't something that Blizzard would attempt.

If I had to guess, I would say its a faux-ranged tank (see SWTOR) that utilizes the Evoker's reduced spell range to justify a tank caster. That would work with the class' current dynamics, and match the thematics of the Black Dragonflight. I feel that "support" can mean tank as well.

Anyway, what do you think? Will Evokers get a third specialization mid-expansion?
    This would be very neat, and it would fix a part of their identity imo, assuming it is a sort of tank or something.

Would leave the poor o'l dhs as the only two-specc chumps in the game though. I'm still sorta for them getting a third specc, possibly focussing on a mix of spells and ranged weaponry.

Also it still leaves their disappointing models, but i've a feeling those may improve with time as well, perhaps they're testing the waters to see how we react to the "prototype-drac'thyr" we face in this patch.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Also it still leaves their disappointing models, but i've a feeling those may improve with time as well, perhaps they're testing the waters to see how we react to the "prototype-drac'thyr" we face in this patch.
    I hope so. I’d love to get this body type & face options to look actually draconic.

Chen isn't a Monk

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh just having it be a spell/spec reskin would also explain why they didn’t add glyphs to Dracthyr… because most of the glyphs they would’ve added are just unlocked via that quest.
    Possibly. I do think a green-fire style quest is the most likely scenario, but them naming it a new specialization suddenly remembered from the black dragonflight really just smells of something bigger and more dramatic.

Also would a new specialization require much testing in modern WoW? It would utilize the base Evoker talent tree, so the only thing Blizzard needs to do is add a tank-specific tree.

7+ Year Old Account
    same as demon hunter got a new spec

No. And they never will. Unless other classes get new specs as well.

Evokers are the ranged counterparts to DHs. Together they make a full druid in terms of specs.

That doesnt make much sense to me, honestly. The amount of customization we have for the four drakes should be the amount of customization we have for all spells in the game inho

If Blizzard were going to add a tank spec of any kind to Evoker, we wouldn't be guessing about it. Even Blizzard is not dense enough to be ignorant of the amount of hype that would create. It would be a major patch feature, not a little thing hidden in datamining. I suppose there is a chance this is just the setup for a later patch, but that would be an extremely awkward way of handling it. "Hey, you remembered a new thing. But you can't actually use it for a couple months."

This feels much more like a thing Blizzard threw in just to mess with data miners. They have done that more than once in the past, by their own admission.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    No. And they never will. Unless other classes get new specs as well.
    You're operating on the notion of fairness. Other classes have nothing to do with this.

Evokers are the ranged counterparts to DHs. Together they make a full druid in terms of specs.
    Blizzard has never stated this. Again, outside a smattering of abilities, the Black Dragonflight aspect is clearly missing from the Evoker, and this quest line specifically talks about a lost specialization based on the Black dragonflight. While I agree that adding a new specialization mid-expansion would be unprecedented and sort of nuts, we have to consider it a valid possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy is convinced;

https://www.pcgamer.com/im-convinced...support-class/

there is a huge problem with support classes in a game as "solved" as wow. They are either viewed as mandatory and OP or not worth touching. In most cases a support is either going to bring way more dps to your raid/party(especially once organized) or a waste of a spot that could be an extra dps. Blizzard seems willing to take chances recently but actually putting a 4th role into the game seems VERY unlikely to me, especially mid expac and it only being 1 spec.

The most likely answer was the first response on the thread. Either opening up new classes to the race or the start of the lore as to how they will eventually be other classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    there is a huge problem with support classes in a game as "solved" as wow. They are either viewed as mandatory and OP or not worth touching. In most cases a support is either going to bring way more dps to your raid/party(especially once organized) or a waste of a spot that could be an extra dps. Blizzard seems willing to take chances recently but actually putting a 4th role into the game seems VERY unlikely to me, especially mid expac and it only being 1 spec.

The most likely answer was the first response on the thread. Either opening up new classes to the race or the start of the lore as to how they will eventually be other classes.
    But again, why would that option be Evoker only and be called a new specialization?

I also don't believe it would be a support spec. I believe we're looking at a faux-ranged tank spec.

classic wowhead clickbait

But again, why would that option be Evoker only and be called a new specialization?

I also don't believe it would be a support spec. I believe we're looking at a faux-ranged tank spec.
    we all understand a ranged tank spec is just a tank with ranged spells right? staying at ranged is never gonna happen without major reworks to how bosses function. So its pretty much gonna be like a prot pally(most of the rotation is ranged spells) except maybe some casted/channeled/charged spells weaved in. Its def possible and the black dragon themes are good for tanking but if some one forced me to bet, my money would still be on opening up new classes and the event wording was just weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    we all understand a ranged tank spec is just a tank with ranged spells right? staying at ranged is never gonna happen without major reworks to how bosses function. So its pretty much gonna be like a prot pally(most of the rotation is ranged spells) except maybe some casted/channeled/charged spells weaved in. Its def possible and the black dragon themes are good for tanking but if some one forced me to bet, my money would still be on opening up new classes and the event wording was just weird.
    Yes, and the Evoker's short-ranged spells already play into that concept. In addition, the Black Dragonflight's existing abilities within the Evoker class very much favor a more tank-based concept.

It simply seems rather odd to me that an Evoker-only quest line would be a key to opening more classes to the Dracthyr. More class options for the Dracthyr doesn't benefit Evokers at all and has nothing to do with the Black dragonflight.