Page 1 of 26
... LastLast

[Megathread] Last Epoch, PC ARPG

Main site: https://lastepoch.com/

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/899770/Last_Epoch/

Last Epoch combines time travel, exciting dungeon crawling, engrossing character customization and endless replayability to create an Action RPG for veterans and newcomers alike. Travel through the world of Eterra’s past and face dark empires, wrathful gods and untouched wilds – to find a way to save time itself from The Void.

Key Features

15 Mastery Classes
    Embark on your adventure as one of five powerful classes and, through your journey, ascend into a unique Mastery Class that unlocks more specialized abilities and build-options.

100+ Skill Trees
    Every skill has its own augment tree that will allow you to control, alter, and empower your playstyle. Transform your skeletons into archers, your lightning blast into chain lightning, or make your serpent strike summon snakes to fight alongside you!

Hunt Rare & Powerful Loot
    Fill your arsenal with magic items that you may craft to perfection, change the rules of your build with powerful unique and set items, and always have that next upgrade just on the horizon with Last Epoch's deep and randomized loot system.

Rewarding Crafting System
    The items you wield are yours to forge! Last Epoch’s community-revered crafting system allows you to control your character's power progression, featuring robust and deterministic upgrade mechanics.

Uncover the Past, Reforge the Future
    Travel to different moments of time where you will discover the many factions and secrets that exist within the world of Eterra and fight to set the timeline onto a new path.

Endless replayability
    With a wealth of classes and skills to customize, deep game systems, randomized loot, and continuing development, Last Epoch is a game that will keep you coming back for years to come.

Easy to Learn, Hard to Master
    We’re committed to making gameplay approachable for new and veteran players alike by allowing you to jump into the fray quickly and providing many in-game resources. Though don’t be fooled, Eterra has many dangers waiting for you that require a mastery of combat and build-crafting.

Zero Pay-To-Win
    Last Epoch will never offer gameplay advantages by being able to spend real money. We believe in creating a fair environment for all players.
    Latest update as of 3.6.23: https://store.steampowered.com/news/...5977?l=english

The Convergence, Patch 0.9, is coming Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 11:00 AM CT!

Welcome everyone to the final day of our Pre-Patch Blog Post Hype Week! Over the last year, we have been working on a very large number of improvements for Last Epoch alongside the addition of the Multiplayer Beta. With all these changes stored up, we have a lot of notes and changes ready for you to look over. Because of the sheer number of these notes, we've decided to release them a few days earlier than we usually would in order to provide a chance to read through the areas you might be interested in and prepare for patch day!

In preparation of the launch of the new client on March 9th, we will be taking the current log-in servers offline approximately 4 hours before the patch launch in order to migrate accounts to the new servers. (This will not transfer any characters, or other progression, just getting everyone set up to be able to log-in to the new servers).

Last Epoch Beta Patch 0.9 - Convergence will introduce:

Multiplayer!
    New 3D models for new and existing Uniques
    New Armor sets for Acolyte, Mage, Primalist, Rogue, and Sentinel
    New Unique Items
    Balance Changes, including almost every skill in the game
    Performance Improvements
    New Music & Sound
    New Player animations, and skill VFX
    New Bone Golem and Manifest Armor models
    New Enemies
    Reworked Zones
    New Monolith Maps
    Bug Fixes
    And more!

Check out the full Patch Notes here!
    Been playing the multiplayer beta since it launched after a long break in the game. It's still rough but they've done a really good job rolling it out overall and have been very quick with fixes and very communicative throughout (devs on social media responding to folks or sharing updates, in global chat answering questions and confirming bugs etc.) which is wonderful to see.

Anyone else playing right now? What are you playing?

I'm making a "support" paladin to start with for duoing. Kinda janky and it's not actually possible with buffs/heals alone so I'm transitioning towards fire DoT using Judgment and Smite for most of my damage, with Javelin acting as a big AoE buff/heal/dmg with the banner upgrade and some stuns. Even with this jank-ass build it's still surprisingly decent when solo, not crazy damage but plenty enough and it's stupid tanky so that as long as I'm not one-shot I'm currently near unkillable.

I had a ward-based spellblade from long ago but something changed and my ward generation went to shit for some reason. Considering remaking properly, but for now I'm trying a shaman for the first time and thinking something like cold-dot bear form or something as I've heard a lot of folks talk positively about that.

Also, the game has some interesting mechanics. Apparently you can go over 100% on a lot of stats like "chance to ignite", and while I initially thought that having talents that went up to 150% chance to apply something was stupid...you're already at 100%! But no, there's a reason for that as you have a chance to apply more stacks of a debuff. So a 200% chance to apply ignite/frailty should result in every hit applying two stacks vs. just one. This was huge as it opens up more ways to scale DoT damage and it actually kinda neato.

I am enjoying the patch. I may have missed it because I put the game down for a bit due to IRL stuff. However, I thought the trade changes were coming as well in this patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I am enjoying the patch. I may have missed it because I put the game down for a bit due to IRL stuff. However, I thought the trade changes were coming as well in this patch.
    No, they apparently settled on those late into the development process for multiplayer in response to a lot of player feedback. That's coming later, along with some other smaller features like item linking in chat. Right now it seems that they're still very focused on getting multiplayer into a better state and re-enabling some things like the death recap and stuff.

It's been bumpy as hell and the first day was very rough, but all things considered for a small team rolling out multiplayer to a fairly sizeable global userbase it's going surprisingly well.

Been playing LE for about 3 or 4 years now, although took a break about a year ago and the last few patches have been pretty great from what I see. Seems a bunch of changes occurred too. Also nice to see weapon and armor being updated on skins now.

I'm a big druid bear fan, it's by far my favorite druid iteration in any game. It was my highest level character previously but I wiped all my characters, granted online is a clean slate anyway.

Combat feels pretty good, definitely near Diablo in terms of combat which every other ARPG is a step down from. I think LE really has one of the better respec systems, where there is good flexibility but you also have an engagement lock in point with mastery classes. There is good flexibility even within the passive trees themselves, multiple types of builds for mastery classes and the base class has flexibility as well.

It's been my favorite arpg for years now, even early days EA release its been real solid.

Oh, I forgot one of the most important things about Last Epoch...

It has actual crafting

There's still layers of RNG built in there, but you can actually craft specific stats onto gear provided you have the materials and there's an open prefix/suffix for it (otherwise it's random if you want to reroll a stat), and you can rank up the tier of other mods you may want on it. It's built around a limited number of upgrades on the item determined by it's "forge level" so you can't just max out your rolls on everything, and the highest tier rolls (T7+ I believe) are still drop-only so you can't just print yourself perfect gear, but it goes a long way in allowing you to take a "meh" piece of gear with a few stats you want and turn it into a pretty solid upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh, I forgot one of the most important things about Last Epoch...

It has actual crafting

There's still layers of RNG built in there, but you can actually craft specific stats onto gear provided you have the materials and there's an open prefix/suffix for it (otherwise it's random if you want to reroll a stat), and you can rank up the tier of other mods you may want on it. It's built around a limited number of upgrades on the item determined by it's "forge level" so you can't just max out your rolls on everything, and the highest tier rolls (T7+ I believe) are still drop-only so you can't just print yourself perfect gear, but it goes a long way in allowing you to take a "meh" piece of gear with a few stats you want and turn it into a pretty solid upgrade.
    Big true, the crafting is really good. The filter encourages looking for specific items where white, blue, and yellow items are still valuable.

Also, while I don't know if this is still in the game, the "cracking/shattering" mechanic where you get warned if you are destroying an item and even if you do, it's still usable at slightly lower stat levels.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2023-03-15 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Big true, the crafting is really good. The filter encourages looking for specific items where white, blue, and yellow items are still valuable.

Also, while I don't know if this is still in the game, the "cracking/shattering" mechanic where you get warned if you are destroying an item and even if you do, it's still usable at slightly lower stat levels.
    Plus a customizable build-in filter which is super rad. I had a few built from old characters when I was more into the game and have forgotten a lot so I'm trying to put together something moderately useful for my paladin for now, at least.

And I think so yes? One of the crafting runes strips a single mod off a piece of gear and gives you crafting shards for that rune (seems to scale a bit based on ilvl). It's random which mod it takes but you can strip all the mods off and turn them into shards if you want. Nice for building up a supply of some of the more rare class-specific crafting shards.

Plus a customizable build-in filter which is super rad. I had a few built from old characters when I was more into the game and have forgotten a lot so I'm trying to put together something moderately useful for my paladin for now, at least.

And I think so yes? One of the crafting runes strips a single mod off a piece of gear and gives you crafting shards for that rune (seems to scale a bit based on ilvl). It's random which mod it takes but you can strip all the mods off and turn them into shards if you want. Nice for building up a supply of some of the more rare class-specific crafting shards.
    I meant the mechanic where you attempt to modify an item and it cracks so if you try to modify it again it breaks and loses its stats. I can't remember the progression buy I thought it was cracked and usable like normal and you could still attempt to modify it and then it would be broken and have lowered stats but still usable.

There is the shattering rune I believe that let's you get affixes from items.

I'm enjoying my time with it. I typically avoid playing early access games, but have been waiting a while to try it. glad they've really cleaned up the presentation though.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    There is the shattering rune I believe that let's you get affixes from items.
    Yeah, I realized I was doing a dumb thing and basically using annuls -_-

As for the other mechanic you're talking about I don't think so? If it is I haven't come across it again, just the forge potential or whatever that lets you upgrade it until you run out of potential on the item. Will have to look into it though.

I need to spend a chunk of time on the wiki looking up mechanics though, since I've still never looked too deep. Like, part of me wants to tinker around with Endurance since that seems stupid strong as a defensive layer, and while it seems straightforward I'm sure there's all kinds of wonkiness under the hood.

Very good game. It's like the best of both worlds between PoE and Grim Dawn. I've been running a fire minion Necro build and a ward build for Rogue built around Umbral Blades, Flurry and attack speed. Having a blast. I do think it's a bit on the easy side, though...it isn't hard to cap resistances and classes like Rogue specifically have really powerful "oh shit" defensives that let you face tank almost anything. Crazy that it isn't even full release yet, it feels pretty complete.

I hope the other classes are released soon now that development seems to have ramped up. Been waiting on Falconer for like 2 years!

I hope the other classes are released soon now that development seems to have ramped up. Been waiting on Falconer for like 2 years!
    Apparently the final classes are coming at launch, whenever that is. Which is a bummer because fuck yes Falconer sounds like such a rad concept.

Apparently the final classes are coming at launch, whenever that is. Which is a bummer because fuck yes Falconer sounds like such a rad concept.
    My favorite game type is someone who fights while throwing a bird at you.

My favorite game type is someone who fights while throwing a bird at you.
    Carbot fan? Reminds me of https://youtu.be/NDSKNr6MSiw?t=32

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The crafting is really good in the game, and the way you target certain items is cool. I like the pick up and go map approach, with bosses at the end. It mostly feels like an alch and go PoE style mapping system where you fight bosses at the end of 12-15 maps, with some other little layers too.

Crafting is far more approachable and fair. It isn't barebones at all with plenty of little tricks you can do to make pretty powerful gear. The best gear are still technically drops in the game though, but you can get pretty powerful stuff just by tinkering around with the crafting system in the game if you know how to setup a filter fairly well. I just love that items come identified, because a quick glance lets you know whether to pick them up, along with the built in loot filter. Still fucking hate that you can't mass ID in PoE or if they just scrapped TP/ID scrolls entirely.

It's a really good middle ground game IMO. I have no idea what the story is (but I really don't know much about PoEs either with over 2500 hours played), but it's fairly smooth and it feels like there are plenty of ways to build each base class. Plenty of things to grind in the end game, even if it's a little shallow at the moment, but the game is still technically in beta so there's that.

Ziggy D, longtime Path of Exile streamer, has put up an excellent beginner's guide. Very well done and erudite.

I highly recommend giving it a watch if interested in Last Epoch. Good overview while touching on some of the more complex systems unique to the game. But not overwhelmingly so.

Seeing how Diablo 4 is out soon, I'd have to give this a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Carbot fan? Reminds me of https://youtu.be/NDSKNr6MSiw?t=32
    I am but only watched the Diablolol series.

I've known about the game for a while and a friend showed a bit to me couple years ago so I bought the game then, but didn't play it until the multiplayer beta this month. So far I only have one character, a Marksman Rogue, which I started out as a character with stupidly expensive Detonating Arrows (Rogues have a number of passives/skills that increase mana costs for more damage and do more damage based on mana consumed), which did fairly nice burst but with my self-made gear and build, nothing too special sustained. I then farmed the Reign of Winter bow (has a chance to fire an icicle spell on hit) which I got yesterday, and am leaning heavily into that. It's effective but almost feels too mindless compared to my previous build, as I basically just spam multishot now (no more having to weave Elemental Arrows or pick up Dark Quiver arrows).

And last thing I did last night was run the Temporal Sanctum to try to get something cool on my 1 LP Mourningfrost boots (Adds cold damage to attacks and spells for each Dex you have), and got T6 Dex onto that, so that was great. I quite like the items and crafting here.