Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between not watching the stuff because you don't find the modern take interesting and just going on with your lives -vs- having to get on the internet and tell everyone how much you hate that they did it. I didn't really care for any of the stuff Okacz mentioned, but I didn't spam up their fuckin threads either. Get a life people, stop pushing your hateful agendas, its a damn movie/music sub in a video game forum.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    So all fantasy stories and other media are now all based in american society and and have inherited their social injustices?

Christ, now we are arguing dumb takes with equally dumb takes.
    He's responding to the ubiquitous "woke" accusation. Which is pretty well embedded in reactionary American bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalraki View Post
    All the reasons this show was doomed to fail : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRHR2Nou8A
    Wish you had used the 'insert video' option. Not a fan of Critical Drinker, and would have rather not have given his video a click.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    rofl

"So fewer people bothered to see it than the one that spawned a cottage industry of manchildren freaking out about demographics they despise appearing in pop culture properties... But it was a success because the studio spent less to make it!"

Amazing. Tell me more about how it was more appealing to the fans.
    Yeah, let's ignore that it came out during 2021 when a lot of people still avoided going to the theater and the damage the 2016 movie did to the brand. Spending less helped make it's boxoffice run more profitable, but afterlife did really well in digital and physical sales. Afterlife also received a lot of positive responses from reviewers outside of salty reviewers upset 2016 GB failed. Afterlife is actually getting a sequel whereas 2016 is being rightfully ignored and forgotten.

well i cant say im surprised, with woke entertainment its usually crash and burn. nothing to see here. and im not gonna cry for these big studios if they lose cash, i mean there's so much money they can burn till eventually they learn their lesson. but this is my point of view, if anyone else enjoys this sort of entertainment then cheers to you
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Is there no noticeable trend of the attempts to update established material with modern attempts of inclusivity ("wokifying", if you will) to fail at being enjoyable movies/shows lately? Velma, Willow, Rings of Power, Blood Origin, Ghostbusters. House of the Dragon can be an exception here, clearly the material has been upwoked, but is still a great show.

If the trend is there, arseholes might be kind of justified.
    It's easy to pretend a trend exists if you also pretend the frequent exceptions don't exist, or don't count because despite widespread success you don't agree they're good.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2023-03-17 at 01:35 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    That's a shame. I enjoyed the show, I liked the campiness and silliness of it, plus was genuinely interested in seeing Graydon become a cool sorcerer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://screenrant.com/willow-season...sdan-response/

Not as clear and dry as the thread title suggests.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Yeah, let's ignore that it came out during 2021 when a lot of people still avoided going to the theater and the damage the 2016 movie did to the brand. Spending less helped make it's boxoffice run more profitable, but afterlife did really well in digital and physical sales. Afterlife also received a lot of positive responses from reviewers outside of salty reviewers upset 2016 GB failed. Afterlife is actually getting a sequel whereas 2016 is being rightfully ignored and forgotten.
    hmm, let's see. One movie came out during a pandemic, in which a Spider-Man movie (that came out only a month later) managed to become the 7th highest-grossing film of all time, vs another that didn't have to deal with a pandemic but did have to deal with literally nothing but bad press from the aforementioned outraged man-children. Tough call.

Keep mainlining the copium, though. I'm sure that will show all those whaamen who's boss!

10+ Year Old Account
    I never got around to even watching it. I wanted to, but I didn't hear anyone speaking about it so I had no incentive to watch. It was always one of those shows that was 'I'll watch it later' and never did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

And let's recall, what does "woke" mean? Let's go with Ron DeSantis' own definition so I'm not accused of being some commie lib extremist;

https://www.motherjones.com/mojo-wir...ida-officials/

"the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them."

That's all "woke" means. If you've got a problem with "woke", it means you're in favor of those systemic injustices. Which means you're pretty loudly telling on yourself.
    I been trying for two years to explain to people how they are constantly misusing 'woke' on the internet. Its a conservative code word at this point.

Its covering hate speech. Its so much cleaner to say 'I dislike this little mermaid remake because it's woke', because they are not going to say 'I hate the Little Mermaid movie because she's black'. I mean what? They aint going to openly admit they are a piece of shit lol

You ask a conservative to give you a meaning of the word 'woke' and they will never give you a clear answer or it'll be very different.
    Last edited by Orby; 2023-03-17 at 02:48 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Enjoyed the show. But man, did I want to punch Kit and Airk. Obnoxious kids. Everyone else was okay.

And the hope Val might somehow show up in season 2 somehow was a good incentive.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Don't worry, disney is eager to stop the systemic injustices except when they censor black people on posters for china, but you don't see those people complaining about it, hence fake activists of twitter and why the word was being perverted in mdoern days.
    Don't forget cutting that lesbian kiss at the end of RoS.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Don't forget cutting that lesbian kiss at the end of RoS.
    You know it's performative. The people you think you're criticizing know it's performative. The companies that do it know it's performative. And yet anti-woke dipshits still spin it as a nefarious plot to inject insidious leftist values into our media and poison the minds of our young people against Traditional Western Culture™. Instead of just...you know...shit they do because they think it will make them money.

The irony is, if you morons would stop freaking out about it literally every time, no one would care. At all. And it wouldn't be nearly as effective as a marketing strategy. I imagine Lexus would absolutely love it if you lost your minds about them having the gall to cast a black family in their Christmas commercial, just to give them the opportunity to prove that they're the progressive car company everyone should be shopping from. But unfortunately for them, the product they're trying to sell would have to involve mermaids or superheroes or turtles with martial arts skills for the outrage machine to kick into gear.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2023-03-17 at 06:23 PM.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    You know it's performative. The people you think you're criticizing know it's performative. The companies that do it know it's performative. And yet anti-woke dipshits still spin it as a nefarious plot to inject insidious leftist values into our media and poison the minds of our young people against Traditional Western Culture™. Instead of just...you know...shit they do because they think it will make them money.

The irony is, if you morons would stop freaking out about it literally every time, no one would care. At all. And it wouldn't be nearly as effective as a marketing strategy. I imagine Lexus would absolutely love it if you lost your minds about them having the gall to cast a black family in their Christmas commercial, just to give them the opportunity to prove that they're the progressive car company everyone should be shopping from. But unfortunately for them, the product they're trying to sell would have to involve mermaids or superheroes or turtles with martial arts skills for the outrage machine to kick into gear.
    Couldn't give a shit if Lexus had a commercial with black, yellow, brown, (insert color of skin of your preference). That's not woke. That's targetted marketing in advertisement.

My personal problem with "woke" is when diversity is inserted for diversity's sake and not blended organically into the story. Just to tick the boxes.

It doesn't ruin the movie/series or anything. Doesn't make me hate it. But i recognise it when i see it and it annoys me as a company/writer choice. They lose points in my book when that happens.
    /spit@Blizzard

hmm, let's see. One movie came out during a pandemic, in which a Spider-Man movie (that came out only a month later) managed to become the 7th highest-grossing film of all time, vs another that didn't have to deal with a pandemic but did have to deal with literally nothing but bad press from the aforementioned outraged man-children. Tough call.

Keep mainlining the copium, though. I'm sure that will show all those whaamen who's boss!
    Who said anything about women? All I said was the 2016 was terrible and rightly forgotten. The only one seemingly dealing with copium is you. I have nothing to worry about as the movie I enjoyed is getting a sequel. I guess you are just upset the one you liked isn't?

As for Spider-Man that is a good point, but that movie was an outlier in a lot of things not just pandemic wise. Could be an interesting discussion but at this point we are rather off topic.

I dunno, I watched the reboot and didnt enjoy it but not because of the women. Just was boring and the bad guy had nothing memorable about them. AL was okay but also very one dimensional. I'd put them about equal because the 2016 one had a few parts of decent humor while AL was more serious.

Can't compare a scifi drama to a scifi comedy. Just isn't fair even if from the same source material. I don't think it's also fair to think everyone who hated on the 2016 is a man child but the poster you were responding to...well i can't defend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    My personal problem with "woke" is when diversity is inserted for diversity's sake and not blended organically into the story. Just to tick the boxes.
    There's nothing in Willow that wasn't included "organically" in the story, in this respect. If you can handle magic and monsters existing but the idea of two girls being romantically interested in each other is too much for you, the problem isn't with the media you're consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    I don't think it's also fair to think everyone who hated on the 2016 is a man child
    Of course. Ghostbusters 2016 was not a good movie. The guys over at RedLetterMedia managed to explain why in great detail without blaming it on the gender of the cast. But I hadn't even cared to look up the box office results of either movie before that poster decided to compare their relative "success." (and apparently he didn't either)
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2023-03-17 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    I dunno, I watched the reboot and didnt enjoy it but not because of the women. Just was boring and the bad guy had nothing memorable about them. AL was okay but also very one dimensional. I'd put them about equal because the 2016 one had a few parts of decent humor while AL was more serious.

Can't compare a scifi drama to a scifi comedy. Just isn't fair even if from the same source material. I don't think it's also fair to think everyone who hated on the 2016 is a man child but the poster you were responding to...well i can't defend them.
    He was responding to me in that post. I'm confused what did I say that needs or doesn't need to be defended? I mean we are basically in agreement other than I didn't like the 2016 movie. I literally fall into the category you reference.

Couldn't give a shit if Lexus had a commercial with black, yellow, brown, (insert color of skin of your preference). That's not woke. That's targetted marketing in advertisement.

It doesn't ruin the movie/series or anything. Doesn't make me hate it. But i recognise it when i see it and it annoys me as a company/writer choice. They lose points in my book when that happens.
    Just curious, would you happen to have examples of shows or movies with lesbian kisses that you felt fit in and wasn't woke? Just to get an idea of how you feel this would be different from a non-woke scene that was well integrated.