Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    I agree, it'd be stupid to not try to group mobs together to create maximum opportunities for cleave and AOE, where as being able to ranged tank a boss opens up new design areas that I think would be really interesting to explore and have to engage in as a melee or as a ranged tank. Dancing as a ranged tank in an epic duel with a boss with a ranged basic would be fairly interesting, and if you give a max range to that basic attack, you'd still be able to kite and reposition the boss.
    IMO not worth the gimmick, and that's all a ranged tank encounter would be.
    A ranged tank would only be able to reposition in one direction, and that's further away from the boss which a regular tank would have the advantage. I don't see this as opening design ideas, it restricts them because you'd then NEED to have ranged tank, or have the boss mechanics accomodate for it.
    Imagine a tank swap and the ranged tank pulls. Oh right, now the healers need to also pre plan so they can be in that tank's range.
    Okay everyone, ball up and share the big damage. Get in here faster, ranged tank!

Call me closed minded but I just haven't seen a working concept that someone with any tanking or healing experience couldn't easily dismantle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    IMO not worth the gimmick, and that's all a ranged tank encounter would be.
    A ranged tank would only be able to reposition in one direction, and that's further away from the boss which a regular tank would have the advantage. I don't see this as opening design ideas, it restricts them because you'd then NEED to have ranged tank, or have the boss mechanics accomodate for it.
    Imagine a tank swap and the ranged tank pulls. Oh right, now the healers need to also pre plan so they can be in that tank's range.
    Okay everyone, ball up and share the big damage. Get in here faster, ranged tank!

Call me closed minded but I just haven't seen a working concept that someone with any tanking or healing experience couldn't easily dismantle.
    Quick question Soul; What do you think the chances are of the 3rd spec (if it happens) being a dual-role spec like old feral druid? Instead of tank/DPS, maybe DPS/Heal, with DPS debuffing, and healing buffing? Do you think that would be feasible, or do you think Blizzard wouldn't go for another dual-role spec?

I doubt that we will actually see a 3rd evoker spec.

And moreso I doubt we will ever see a ranged tank spec. Like how do you think this is supposed to work or are you just suggesting it because it doesn't exist yet (for obvious reasons ofcs)? The only ranged tank I can see is a pet class, but I am not sure if that would work great either or that we really need this at all.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Quick question Soul; What do you think the chances are of the 3rd spec (if it happens) being a dual-role spec like old feral druid? Instead of tank/DPS, maybe DPS/Heal, with DPS debuffing, and healing buffing? Do you think that would be feasible, or do you think Blizzard wouldn't go for another dual-role spec?
    It's a fun idea to talk about but I'm a BIG skeptic of it happening mid expansion. I can envision a big opening up of the race/class to have that third spec along with unlocking a number of race/class combos, all to eventually round out the Dracthyr story and people can enjoy that starting in DF's bonus season. But I'm keeping an open mind; the wow team has been full of surprises this expansion.
    As for what spec, I see a tank as the most likely candidate. Their class tree and baseline abilities definitely support a tank spec that would feel like a paladin, with numerous ranged and support abilities for the party/raid. I just don't see pure or hybrid support being a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting video here where the guy also thinks the new spec is going to be a ranged tank. Says that Blizzard’s rejection of tank specs only dealt with melee, but didn’t say anything about a ranged tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    I doubt that we will actually see a 3rd evoker spec.

And moreso I doubt we will ever see a ranged tank spec. Like how do you think this is supposed to work or are you just suggesting it because it doesn't exist yet (for obvious reasons ofcs)? The only ranged tank I can see is a pet class, but I am not sure if that would work great either or that we really need this at all.
    Make it work like Dark Apotheosis Warlock where you have instant cast spells operating like melee attacks. Evokers already have Azure Strike which could work like a melee attack which in turn could empower spells ala Malestrom Weapon.

I think the misnomer that people are getting confused by is the distance. If you’re using ranged attacks but fighting in melee range, you’re still a ranged spec. Like when you solo as a mage and hit an enemy with Firebolt and they rush at you and hit you with melee attacks, you’re still a ranged spec despite what the enemy is doing.

I have heard 3rd spec might be support tank, or tank with lots of utility.
    Now you say it should be ranged tank.
    This new spec is sounding a lot like Prot Pally.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I think the misnomer that people are getting confused by is the distance. If you’re using ranged attacks but fighting in melee range, you’re still a ranged spec. Like when you solo as a mage and hit an enemy with Firebolt and they rush at you and hit you with melee attacks, you’re still a ranged spec despite what the enemy is doing.
    Well the OP literally posits that Ranged Tanking should come with its own gameplay, like bosses changing their own attack patterns to react to the presence of a Ranged Tank.

So we aren't just talking about a Tank that has ranged abilities and calling it a day. It's a confused conversation because of what the OP expects a Ranged Tank would be in practice, not just in concept.

There'a nothing wrong with a Tank spec being built around ranged abilities, we just need to acknowledge the gameplay would be little to no different than any other tank on practice, with the potential for exploit or breaking mechanics due to positioning regarding a class that isn't going to be depending on staying in melee range.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-04-25 at 02:30 PM.

Ion just announced there is no new spec coming for evokers. New evoker spec is with the Shaman Tank and Demon Hunter new spec, never say never but probably never.

Soooo can we stop all these threads now?

Here is the link to the interview because I know there are people who will say “where is the proof?”
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/sportsk...gustine-332629