1. #1

    Player created Quest

    What if players can make their own quest(for themselves) and be rewarded for it?

    -Here are some types of self quest people could make:

    Kill Quest- Killing as much of a type of npc as you can. Ex. Guards, Ogres, Raptors, Orcs, Dwarves, Pirates, Naga.

    Scouting- Explore different routes and taking notes. Ex. Road from Tarren mill to hammer fell, Road from Sentinel hill to Lakeshire, Road from Blackfathom deep to Warsong Lumbercamp.

    Collection- collecting as much of an item as possible. Ex. Elf ears, troll tusk, elemental bracers.

    Miscellaneous- Things like giving people buffs, Band Aiding injured players, dancing with people who are dancing, drinking as much booze as you can.

    -Reward: Players are given adventure points for doing as much of the objectives as they can. They can trade in their points for gear, profession mats, enchants, gold and transmogs. Some transmogs are unlocked when you’ve done a certain self objective enough, like a wolf head helmet for killing 100 wolves.

    -Extra detail: Point rewards vary depending on how hard some task is. Killing elites gives more reward than killing critters or dancing with other players.

    People can only have around 3 to 5 self quest objective at a time so they can focus on a few specific activity at a time.

    Edit: There is a daily threshold on how much you can earn from self questing so its not too overpowered.

    Also I think this idea would help put the Role-playing more in a role playing game.
    Last edited by Sauredfangs; 2023-06-06 at 01:14 AM.
    Ideas:
    People created quest
    Faction Wide Objectives
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauredfangs View Post
    What if players can make their own quest and be rewarded for it?

    -Here are some types of quest people could make:

    Kill Quest- Killing as much of a type of npc as you can. Ex. Guards, Ogres, Raptors, Orcs, Dwarves, Pirates, Naga.

    Scouting- Explore different routes and taking notes. Ex. Road from Tarren mill to hammer fell, Road from Sentinel hill to Lakeshire, Road from Blackfathom deep to Warsong Lumbercamp.

    Collection- collecting as much of an item as possible. Ex. Elf ears, troll tusk, elemental bracers.

    Miscellaneous- Things like giving people buffs, Band Aiding injured players, dancing with people who are dancing, drinking as much as you can.

    -Rewad: Players are given adventure points for doing as much of the objectives as they can. They can trade in their points for gear, profession mats, enchants, gold and transmogs. Some transmogs are unlocked when you’ve done a certain self objective enough, like a wolf head helmet for killing wolves.

    -Extra detail: Rewards vary depending on how hard some task is. Killing elites gives more reward than killing critters or dancing with other players.

    People can only have around 3 to 5 self quest objective at a time so they can focus on a few specific activity at a time.

    The way you unlock a potential self quest is by doing something like killing your first wolf or exploring your first road.

    Also I think this idea would help put the Role-playing more in a role playing game.
    WoW desperately needs more player managed content, but it'd be hard to avoid abuse and cookiecutting.
    "I offer you a quest to kill X of these close-packed mobs, and you do the same, then we reward eachother!" in example.

    Still worthwhile to attempt it though, but maybe make it more about cosmetics than about trade goods and power.

    Maybe something analogous to the crafting system, but now about quests and posted from those hero's message board things?
    Might be fun to allow custom rewards as well, could give a use to certain valuable grey items in order to avoid the "Hero's guild cut" on any reward money you offer.

    It could also help further reinvigorate pvp now that i think about it, in example by allowing to set bounty quests on anyone who has recently been an assassin.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  3. #3
    Reminds me of a quest from Cataclysm where you're the Questgiver:



    (RIP CB. )

  4. #4
    Give it a few years, and with recent advances in AI we'll be getting procedurally generated quests for sure. Possibly on a per-player basis, so everyone will get something different.

    It's got to be coming.

    Leaving it up to the players would probably just result in a Wowhead guide going "How to farm your custom quest in less than 1 minute!".

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    WoW desperately needs more player managed content, but it'd be hard to avoid abuse and cookiecutting.
    "I offer you a quest to kill X of these close-packed mobs, and you do the same, then we reward eachother!" in example.

    Still worthwhile to attempt it though, but maybe make it more about cosmetics than about trade goods and power.

    Maybe something analogous to the crafting system, but now about quests and posted from those hero's message board things?
    Might be fun to allow custom rewards as well, could give a use to certain valuable grey items in order to avoid the "Hero's guild cut" on any reward money you offer.

    It could also help further reinvigorate pvp now that i think about it, in example by allowing to set bounty quests on anyone who has recently been an assassin.
    While I also like the idea of giving someone else a quest or your guild giving you a quest, what I meant by this idea is a quest made by you for yourself. Im not counting out being a quest giver to npc's though.
    Ideas:
    People created quest
    Faction Wide Objectives
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

  6. #6
    Problem with player created quests and rewards is it stupid easy to exploit

    See City of Heroes when they had that and people just made infinite xp and money quests

    If your gonna do it you gotta keep rewards out of it and make it a purely RP thing

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Problem with player created quests and rewards is it stupid easy to exploit

    See City of Heroes when they had that and people just made infinite xp and money quests

    If your gonna do it you gotta keep rewards out of it and make it a purely RP thing
    hmmm.. maybe there is diminishing rewards after a certain threshold
    Ideas:
    People created quest
    Faction Wide Objectives
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauredfangs View Post
    While I also like the idea of giving someone else a quest or your guild giving you a quest, what I meant by this idea is a quest made by you for yourself. Im not counting out being a quest giver to npc's though.
    Oh.
    That sounds a bit weird honestly.
    Just do what you want to do, involving rewards like that just makes it weird.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Problem with player created quests and rewards is it stupid easy to exploit

    See City of Heroes when they had that and people just made infinite xp and money quests

    If your gonna do it you gotta keep rewards out of it and make it a purely RP thing
    Or you require players to provide the rewards.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  9. #9
    I've a similar idea that had the player build "current" lore.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post

    Or you require players to provide the rewards.
    If that's the case why do it?

    Hell to me that sounds like a fun way to launder RMT transactions

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Lollis's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,522
    There is/was an addon that allowed you to make custom quests for other players, but like has been mentioned, an official one would likely only lead to them being exploited.
    Speciation Is Gradual

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    If that's the case why do it?

    Hell to me that sounds like a fun way to launder RMT transactions
    Because another quest rewards you for it

    But yeah, maybe you need to make quests (&have them be completed) to be allowed to take on quests?
    Just spitballing here.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  13. #13
    Player created missions in Star Trek Online were often more enjoyable than the officially content. Sadly Cryptic closed down the Foundry a few years back, apparently they didn't want to continue spending money on the programmers who maintained the Foundry feature.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Because another quest rewards you for it

    But yeah, maybe you need to make quests to be allowed to take on quests?
    Just spitballing here.
    Bob makes a quest to kill a squirrel to reward a gold
    Timmy makes a quest to kill a squirrel for 1 gold
    Bob then makes a quest to reward 100,000 gold to give to Timmy cause he paid him

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Bob makes a quest to kill a squirrel to reward a gold
    Timmy makes a quest to kill a squirrel for 1 gold
    Bob then makes a quest to reward 100,000 gold to give to Timmy cause he paid him
    Quest goes uncompleted forever.
    A bit like those beggar crafting orders.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Quest goes uncompleted forever.
    A bit like those beggar crafting orders.
    Think you missed the part that Timmy in my example basically bought gold from Bob and they used the quest to make a clean transaction that blizzard now has to make another layer of moderation to enforce

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Think you missed the part that Timmy in my example basically bought gold from Bob and they used the quest to make a clean transaction that blizzard now has to make another layer of moderation to enforce
    Ah, sorry, misread.
    Not sure how this would be more complicated to moderate though, since it's just extra added steps, administration and "fee" losses for the would-be launderer for no apparant gain over, say, doing this via direct transactions or the auction house.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Ah, sorry, misread.
    Not sure how this would be more complicated to moderate though, since it's just extra added steps, administration and "fee" losses for the would-be launderer for no apparant gain over, say, doing this via direct transactions or the auction house.
    Eh would make the whole thing flooded with crappy get a reward quest

    Don't know rather not have a reward and all the quests people make are more storyline or challenge quests and not end up like the group finder

  19. #19
    The Undying Lochton's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    37,495
    Naw, I'll leave that to the free market. You could with Gryphonheart Items (GHI), so I guess you can with TRP3 Extended too?

    Else, I'd rather see Blizzard make competitions where five winners are picked, first place gets to help design a quest line of 5 quests, and the other four, a single quest. Previous winners have to wait a year before trying to participate again.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Player created missions in Star Trek Online were often more enjoyable than the officially content. Sadly Cryptic closed down the Foundry a few years back, apparently they didn't want to continue spending money on the programmers who maintained the Foundry feature.
    Yeah. I think it would work well with Wow, since Wow is a role playing game. Weather its self quest or giving other people quest, it's essentially role playing too. Being able to get rewards for it makes role playing more a legitimate/valuable way to play the game.
    Last edited by Sauredfangs; 2023-05-01 at 09:15 PM.
    Ideas:
    People created quest
    Faction Wide Objectives
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •