Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    I do not know which is worse; the fact that these people died or that Greg Abbott is trying to downplay the tragedy by claiming that the victims were Illegal Immigrants.

https://news.yahoo.com/gov-greg-abbo...003153273.html
    All things considered, it's worse. It took a certain kind of evil to get there.

These are the same guys that always hid behind the slogan, "I'm only against the illegal immigrants".
    Government Affiliated Snark

I do not know which is worse; the fact that these people died or that Greg Abbott is trying to downplay the tragedy by claiming that the victims were Illegal Immigrants.

Well you see it's easier to not have empathy for the victims and redirect blame to, "They shouldn't have been here." if you choose to refer to them as illegal immigrants.

I don't even know why he'd have to go that far to not have empathy for the victims. His previous actions within the last 2 months alone have shown him to be an asshole whom only cares about his own race and political agendas.

I am thankful that I don't live in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Well you see it's easier to not have empathy for the victims and redirect blame to, "They shouldn't have been here." if you choose to refer to them as illegal immigrants.
    They're taking jobs away from real American murder victims.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

So read the story first of the shooting and it was tragic and horrifying and didn't know it could get worse, until Abbott chimed in. As usual they are not human beings in their eyes and as others stated their great talking point is; "they shouldn't have been here in the first place", same with shooter I guess. The narrative always is they just shouldn't be here and crime wouldn't happen.

One of the victims was a legal resident of the US.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2023-05-01 at 09:09 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s/70168758007/

A resident of the Texas home where a man opened fire with an AR-15-style rifle said his family called police five times over a span of more than 10 minutes before the rampage that left five people dead and set off a manhunt for the killer.

Wilson Garcia said he asked his neighbor, who was shooting a gun in his yard late Friday night, to shoot farther away because Garcia's 1-month-old son was sleeping. Garcia said he called police when the man refused. The family made four more calls, according to The Associated Press.

“I told my wife: ‘Get inside. This man has loaded his weapon,'” Garcia said. “My wife told me to go inside because ‘he won’t fire at me, I’m a woman.’”
    Not sure if the cops could have even done anything outside of a potential citation for violation of noise ordinance at best. Reminder: Police have no duty to respond to your calls or protect you if you feel you are in danger.

Sure is awkward when a majority of Americans worry about being the victims of gun violence. Almost as if the Second Amendment makes this country a lot less safe or something.

https://www.democracydocket.com/news...nty-elections/

THIS is what we in Texas are facing. I'm SICK of the "LOL Let's just give Texas back to Mexico!" rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
    https://www.democracydocket.com/news...nty-elections/

THIS is what we in Texas are facing. I'm SICK of the "LOL Let's just give Texas back to Mexico!" rhetoric.
    Good thing no one has said that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/u...smid=url-share

Gift article link so you don't need an account to read.

The sound of gunfire — whether from hunting, or target practice, or celebration — is common in much of rural America. Perhaps nowhere is this more true than in Texas, where the occasional volley rarely raises alarm.

So when someone from an immigrant family from Honduras called 911 on Friday night to report that their next-door neighbor was shooting from his small property in San Jacinto County, the police did not to rush to the scene. Officers did not arrive until after the neighbor had stormed into the family’s house and killed five people, including a 9-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl, with his AR-15-style rifle.

On Tuesday, state and federal law enforcement agencies were on the fourth day of an extensive manhunt for the neighbor, Francisco Oropesa, 38, and still struggling to understand why his aimless shooting, of the sort common in that part of Texas, had turned into a massacre.

More than 250 officers from a dozen agencies were working to find Mr. Oropesa, a Mexican immigrant who had been deported four times before. Law enforcement officials feared that he could be heading to Mexico, or may have already arrived there.

“Francisco Oropesa could be anywhere,” the Houston office of the F.B.I. said in a statement on Tuesday, adding that officers were working around “the state, country and across the border.”

The lack of a rapid police response to the family’s initial call for help, shortly after 11:30 p.m., raised questions about how to handle reports of gunfire in Texas, where the ownership of weapons has become less regulated. Some rural officers may also have difficulty distinguishing between noise complaints related to legal and harmless shooting activity and those that represent potential threats.

Texas law affords broad leeway to people firing weapons in rural areas, preventing regulation by local counties on properties larger than 10 acres. Counties may explicitly bar shooting on smaller lots in subdivisions, but many have opted not to do so, relying instead on more general rules preventing recklessness or firing over property lines. Officials in San Jacinto County said that was the law there, and it would have made shooting in the yard, of the kind the family had reported, illegal.

“I get calls all the time for that,” said Roy Rogers, a county constable in San Jacinto County. “I go down there and I check it out. If they’re discharging the weapon in a safe manner, there’s nothing I can do.”
    Highlighting how living in Howdy Arabia where folks are shooting guns on their property apparently on the regular makes it difficult to tell when someone doing so might be about to murder their neighbors or when someone is doing it because it's Friday and they've had a few beers and are shooting the cans in their backyard to relax after a long week. You know, responsible gun use!

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/man-believ...010100097.html
    Suspect accused of gunning down 5 in Texas taken into custody
    Francisco Oropesa, the man accused of gunning down five people in an "execution-style" mass shooting in Cleveland, Texas, has been taken into custody after a multiday manhunt, officials said.

Oropesa, 38, was taken into custody in Montgomery County, about 20 miles from where the shooting took place, uninjured and without incident Tuesday evening, San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Capers said.

The suspect was "caught hiding in a closet underneath some laundry," Capers said Tuesday night during a press conference. The suspect will be taken from Montgomery County to the San Jacinto County Jail in Coldspring, Capers said, where he will face charges. He's expected to be held on a $5 million bond.

The tip for the suspect's location came in through the FBI tip line, FBI assistant special agent in charge Jimmy Paul said.

"We just want to thank the person who had the courage and bravery to call in the suspect's location," he said.

Reward money will be given to the person who called in the tip, officials said. It wasn't immediately clear how much the person would receive. The total reward increased to $100,000 earlier Tuesday, after the U.S. Marshals announced a contribution of $20,000 on top of $25,000 from the FBI, $50,000 from the state and $5,000 from Multi-County Crime Stoppers.

Are guns too cheap?

Cheaper means more, accessible, right? So why not make guns more expensive? That way, less people have access to them.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are guns too cheap?

Cheaper means more, accessible, right? So why not make guns more expensive? That way, less people have access to them.
    They're already somewhat expensive, depending on what your budget looks like. But it's also apparently not hard to just go open up a line of credit and buy a bunch of stuff so I reckon prices would have to drastically increase to cause any sort of actual dent by itself. Source mostly references back to a NYT article that's paywalled, so that's what we get for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Are guns too cheap?

A) Gun Companies aren't going to voluntarily raise their prices to make owning guns prohibitively expensive

B) Making buying new guns probitively expensive would just create more demand for the secondary market.

C) Most of the people that plan mass shootings know that the most likely outcome is they will eventually be captured or killed...so they're not going to worry much about going over-budget.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I guess you could legislate a requirement for expensive ass tax stamps the same way suppressors require them, but ehh...

Just like in every single thread about a mass shooting somewhere, we have reached gun control territory. This is fine as that is the logical outcome, but we have a separate megathread dedicated to that purpose and we prefer this debate to take place there.

Texas GOP members laughing about active shooter drills.

https://twitter.com/LivingBlueTX/sta...54700040028163

Ohhh, thoughts and prayers *eyes roll* Moving on, Who cares people dies everyday. What else is new lol

new massacre just dropped

15+ Year Old Account
    Not enough political sway to dethrone (AR15) mass shootings as the weekly/twice weekly national recreation method.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account
    So we have a gun control megathread, are we gonna make a gun massacre thread for our daily (often 2-3 times per day) mass shootings?

- - - Updated - - -

A shopping mall was hit.

But yo, thoughts and prayers. *Finger guns*
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"