Page 1 of 3
LastLast

SL story ripped from Dragon quest X?

I just finished one of the expansions and the plot was basically the same as SL.

Evil higher power guy mind controls a good lore character who becomes his evil knight to help him open the way to some 'core of creation' (that the main god used to create the universe) because he wants to unmake it and remake it in his own vision.

The west never got this game and those of us who have played it have had to use a fan/AI translation.

I understand that -evil lord guy going to some creation place to unmake reality- could be a trope, but combined with him mind controlling a good lore character who he turns into his evil knight pawn just like Anduin... it's more than a bit suspect.

Funny enough, the subsequent expansions for both games center around dragons (probably just a coincidence).
    Last edited by Aucald; 2023-05-29 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags.

Definitely wouldn't be beyond the creative bankruptcy of Danuser. But lets be real, all of WarCraft is heavily stolen from popular media.

It's probably just a coincidence. It's the most cliched possible story for any given JRPG, so it's not surprising that it popped up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoupa7 View Post
    Evil higher power guy mind controls a good lore character who becomes his evil knight to help him open the way to some 'core of creation' (that the main god used to create the universe) because he wants to unmake it and remake it in his own vision.
    You just described the plot of Trails in the Sky. The 3rd Anguis, Weissman, mindcontrols Colonel Richard into launching a coup and deactivating the seal that hides an ancient civilization built around a Sept-Terion, one of seven pillars of the world created by the Goddess. Weissman intends to claim that Sept-Terion and use its power to remake the world how he likes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    It's probably just a coincidence. It's the most cliched possible story for any given JRPG, so it's not surprising that it popped up here.
    This. While the comparison isn't one to one, FFXIII-2's and Lightning Returns' plot is also similar.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2023-05-28 at 07:35 PM.

I would say the psychopath who just wants to see everything burn is the biggest one. Either that or the guy who was always #2 and he just couldn't take it so he fell to dark magic to become stronger, lol.

I have played a lot of JRPGs and it is specifically this combination that I think is unlikely to be coincidence. Not just un/remaking reality, but the evil mind controlled knight that he has helping him the whole way.

But the user above said it's from the Trails series (actually started playing the 1st Sky game, but got bored) so maybe it has been done before DQX as well.
    Last edited by Zoupa7; 2023-05-28 at 07:32 PM.

maybe it has been done before DQX as well.
    After the release of Miyazaki's Naussicaa and Castle in the Sky movies, Japanese pop-culture became enamored with stories revolving around the remnants of fallen, powerful ancient precursor civilizations. It's in almost every JRPG (Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc) and is very common in anime too (The Vision of Escaflowne, Scrapped Princess, Code Geass, One Piece, etc). The West for comparison has Atlantis (might ancient civilization which then fell due to decadence) but it's nowhere near ubiquitous, and is usually just backstory and is a moral warning (Numenor in LotR, Istar in Dragonlance, etc) rather than the plot and character motivations revolving around it.

Original Warcraft was written by metalheads and fans of Western literature and D&D. You could play JRPGs but anime that wasn't Pokemon or Sailor Moon was very difficult to access. By the time Shadowlands was being written, those folks had long since been replaced by a new generation that grew up playing popular JRPGs and with easy access to anime, so perhaps that is where the Japanese influence seeped in.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2023-05-28 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    After the release of Miyazaki's Naussicaa and Castle in the Sky movies, Japanese pop-culture became enamored with stories revolving around the remnants of fallen, powerful ancient precursor civilizations. It's in almost every JRPG (Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc) and is very common in anime too (The Vision of Escaflowne, Scrapped Princess, Code Geass, One Piece, etc). The West for comparison has Atlantis (might ancient civilization which then fell due to decadence) but it's nowhere near ubiquitous, and is usually just backstory and is a moral warning (Numenor in LotR, Istar in Dragonlance, etc) rather than the plot and character motivations revolving around it.

Original Warcraft was written by metalheads and fans of Western literature and D&D. You could play JRPGs but anime that wasn't Pokemon or Sailor Moon was very difficult to access. By the time Shadowlands was being written, those folks had long since been replaced by a new generation that grew up playing popular JRPGs and with easy access to anime, so perhaps that is where the Japanese influence seeped in.
    This trope has nothing to do with this thread though.

...good lore character?

genocidal simpvanas?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    ...good lore character?

genocidal simpvanas?
    Anduin. 10 char

7+ Year Old Account
    I could say it was a coincidence, if i didn't saw some cinematics from the dragon quest that people mention that wow did a rip-off, it is definetly a rip off, because its not just the cliche they stole.

And of course, this is par of the course since Battle for azeroth was also a rip off from Mists of pandaria, Danuser as a lead designer is a hack

I just finished one of the expansions and the plot was basically the same as SL.

The west never got this game and those of us who have played it have had to use a fan/AI translation.

I understand that -evil lord guy going to some creation place to unmake reality- could be a trope, but combined with him mind controlling a good lore character who he turns into his evil knight pawn just like Anduin... it's more than a bit suspect.

Funny enough, the subsequent expansions for both games center around dragons (probably just a coincidence).
    Every dragon quest game and a lot of RPGs have the exact same story told over and over so it's hilarious if you're just randomly accusing WoW of this. It's a pretty damn common trope in RPGs, especially eastern ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I could say it was a coincidence, if i didn't saw some cinematics from the dragon quest that people mention that wow did a rip-off, it is definetly a rip off, because its not just the cliche they stole.
    Boy I hate to break it to you if you think dragon quest X is the first time this story was told.

This thread is inspired by the type of dude who would watch Avatar 10 years after release and think he was a genius for figuring out it's the same story as Pocahontas.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Boy I hate to break it to you if you think dragon quest X is the first time this story was told..
    Ok? the point is, Wow didn't stole from the general story that was told before, they stole from dragon quest directly, the cinematic was almost a carbon copy.

Like there is a difference in ripping off from tolkien and ripping off from something who already ripped off tolkien.

Ok? the point is, Wow didn't stole from the general story that was told before, they stole from dragon quest directly, the cinematic was almost a carbon copy
    Again you're talking about of your ass because the cinematics for these type of things have always been carbon copies of each other. How the fuck else are you supposed to show evil dude wasn't actually evil but had some master plan to try to save the universe that got warped over time? You show it with a fucking flashback during the climax of the story. Holy shit my dude you are really smoking some absolute shit if you think this is copying anything when it's just reusing a very, very common story as all media does over and over again.

Next you're going to be telling me Dragon Quest copied Persona, then after that you're going to circle back and realize final fantasy has also used the same story oh but wait a minute pillars of eternity a western game also used it! Hell lets not even get into the greater Xeno franchise which is basically a huge fucking goliath version of this shit told over different multiverses and who knows how many years.

You just sound like a person who doesn't play many games at all if you're just now realizing this shit. Stories have always been about individual characters, the greater whole is always just retelling some story that was already told many, many times.

Wait until you find out your favorite game story ever also isn't unique. Thinking any of them are would be a hard cope.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-05-28 at 09:21 PM.

Again you're talking about of your ass because the cinematics for these type of things have always been carbon copies of each other. How the fuck else are you supposed to show evil dude wasn't actually evil but had some master plan to try to save the universe that got warped over time? You show it with a fucking flashback during the climax of the story. Holy shit my dude you are really smoking some absolute shit if you think this is copying anything when it's just reusing a very, very common story as all media does over and over again.

Next you're going to be telling me Dragon Quest copied Persona, then after that you're going to circle back and realize final fantasy has also used the same story oh but wait a minute pillars of eternity a western game also used it! Hell lets not even get into the greater Xeno franchise which is basically a huge fucking goliath version of this shit told over different multiverses and who knows how many years.

You just sound like a person who doesn't play many games at all if you're just now realizing this shit. Stories have always been about individual characters, the greater whole is always just retelling some story that was already told many, many times.

Wait until you find out your favorite game story ever also isn't unique. Thinking any of them are would be a hard cope.
    I play a lot of RPGs and I rarely have thoughts like this thread. The plot having a mind controlled evil knight help the demon lord get to the cosmic creation place to unmake reality is more specific than your average recycled trope.

And you need to be on some kind of mood stabilizer.
    Last edited by Zoupa7; 2023-05-28 at 09:39 PM.

I play a lot of RPGs
    Stopped reading there because either A) clearly you don't and this is a lie or B) you skip every cutscene and dialogue.

My dude really acting like god like being trying to save the universe from threat X becoming warped and corrupted and thinking destruction and clean slate is the only way is some unique story to Dragon Quest that only WoW stole. You really can't make this level of delusions up if you tried. There are more JRPGs based on this than not lmfao.

Hell the warcraft 3 lore is literally based on this shit, just it was Sargeras as the supreme bad and shadowlands just double downed on it to say the Jailer is the one even behind him.

/golf clap dude you certainly do play tons of RPGs I bet.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2023-05-28 at 09:43 PM.

The Janitor is literally just a worse version of Sargeras, as he is the fallen member of a Divine pantheon who turned against his comrades out of terror of an unknown threat, and plotted to take over the Universe and reshape it according to his vision in order to combat said threat. Exactly like Sargeras.

The only difference is that Sargeras has decades of set-up, while Janitor is a literal asspull invented solely for Sylvanas' redemption arc.

Sargeras/the Legion even used the "mind-control on a global scale" strategy first in the Warcraft Story, as it's what they did to the orcs in WC RTS series.

I thought the universally accepted theory was that it was clearly inspired by Marvel.

Big bad man has to collect 5 sigils to access the power of the universe to remake it in his own way.

Just like BfA clearly enjoyed Black Panther with Zandalaris saying "Zandalar forever!" everywhere you turn.

7+ Year Old Account
    The plot having a mind controlled evil knight help the demon lord get to the cosmic creation place to unmake reality is more specific than your average recycled trope.
    Even Shining Force had a mind controlled evil knight that helps the main villain

Next thing you know, he is even the protagonist's brother

Like there is a difference in ripping off from tolkien and ripping off from something who already ripped off tolkien.
    Like warcraft did with warhammer?
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again you're talking about of your ass because the cinematics for these type of things have always been carbon copies of each other.
    Thats you talking about your ass right now, how do you know that? what others cinematics are carbon copies of each other?
    How the fuck else are you supposed to show evil dude wasn't actually evil but had some master plan to try to save the universe that got warped over time? Y
    There are plenty of ways to do that without copying frame by frame
    ou show it with a fucking flashback during the climax of the story. Holy shit my dude you are really smoking some absolute shit
    You are rly nervous about this hum

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Like warcraft did with warhammer?
    Kinda, at least warcraft did something more unique from the idea, and made something enjoyable. Shadowlands was crap

if you are going tor ip off something at least make it good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I thought the universally accepted theory was that it was clearly inspired by Marvel.

Big bad man has to collect 5 sigils to access the power of the universe to remake it in his own way.

Just like BfA clearly enjoyed Black Panther with Zandalaris saying "Zandalar forever!" everywhere you turn.
    Danuser can rip off many works trying to be original, you do not look down on him.

A fictional story is a modified retelling of an earlier fictional story? Golly, this has never before happened in the history of the last 30 nanoseconds!