Page 40 of 61 FirstFirst ...
30
38
39
40
41
42
50
... LastLast
  1. #781
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Except I'm not. No where did I say FSU should be in the playoff because they have 2 guaranteed 1st round picks this year.

    There is a massive difference between saying a player is better than another player if they will be drafted long before them and claiming a team should be in the playoff based off how many players they will have drafted. Individual talent and how well an entire team plays as a team are completely different things.

    Using that terrible logic, OSU is a better team than Michigan and well...



    Dem boys are real good. Should of just cancelled the season and played a UGA/Bama/OSU/Texas A&M playoff if we where ranking teams off future first round picks.

    Like do you understand the difference in me telling you MHJ is a better player than anyone on Michigan, no one is even close tbh but Michigan is the better team? This ain't splitting hairs, these are completely different things lmao.
    You're right. We should judge teams based on how ridiculous we can make their pre game warm up seem. Wait... what the hell is going on?

    Back on topic, we'll see what happens in a month. Should be a good game. I do think Saban with a month to prepare (and teach his team new signals), and with all the talent he's got on that team, is going to be a tough out. Michigan has the more veteran team and Harbaugh's no slouch as a coach either.
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-12-05 at 11:58 PM.

  2. #782
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,771
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Back on topic, we'll see what happens in a month.
    Sounds more like fleeing from the topic than getting back on topic.
    /s

  3. #783
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Sounds more like fleeing from the topic than getting back on topic.
    You WANT to keep this debate going? It’s over. Imperfect system, gonna have someone deserving left out, their fans justifiably upset, Michigan fans upset they don’t get a first round bye. Nothing left to discuss though. On to the games.

  4. #784
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    34,506
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Sounds more like fleeing from the topic than getting back on topic.
    I guess you missed the last few pages where others were devolving into personal attacks and lying. The real discussion was over a few pages ago.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    You WANT to keep this debate going? It’s over. Imperfect system, gonna have someone deserving left out, their fans justifiably upset, Michigan fans upset they don’t get a first round bye. Nothing left to discuss though. On to the games.
    Agreed. Discussion was over awhile ago. People can face facts or not, but the decision (good or bad) has been made and now we just see how it plays out.

  5. #785
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Whoa dude, don't get yourself a heart attack.
    I'm good!!! Venting takes away all the stress!!!

  6. #786
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I don't agree with the Pastacleric but does it really matter how they beat teams? A win is a win.
    A loss is a loss something that FSU doesn't have. Also yes if you are going to jump an undefeated team needing a miracle to beat a team that got curbstomped by new mexico state is inadvisable so is barely beating a team that fired their coach mid season. Of course they don't actually care about getting the best teams they care about getting the most money. I honestly think even if Georgia had won they would have forced out FSU for Texas.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    I disagree. This is a great test of the SEC’s dominance. We have the weakest SEC team in years and strong representation from the conferences normally left out. This is their chance to show that they belong.

    It’s kind of a preview of what we’re gonna get every year going forward. 12 is too many, but 8 makes sense - no way to leave out a worthy power 5 team or conference with 8.
    Weird how every other division of college football manages to have an actual playoff not an invitational and it works quite well. Same with every major sports league hell even March Madness has guaranteed slots for every conference winner.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    This year was by far the strongest slate of teams ever. Not only was FSU the strongest candidate ever excluded, Georgia was probably the second strongest. So it was a tough decision.

    As I’ve said several times, I agree with the SEC commissioner that the SEC is on a different level from other conferences and I think that matters. A cfp without a representative from the conference that has won 13 of the past 17 championships just doesn’t seem legitimate to me.

    And the actual harm to FSU is limited if you believe that they had no shot to win (as I do). So you get a stronger field where the championship will seem more legitimate due to the presence of Alabama, more competitive games, and the cost is low other than hurt feelings.

    A lot of the debate about CFP is flawed by the assumption that a perfect solution it possible with only 4 teams. It’s not. But in my opinion they chose the best one (Michigan fans clearly disagree too, lol - did you see the reaction video?).

    But I do think it’s interesting to think about what would have happened if Georgia had won. My guess is they’d have taken FSU and left Texas home.
    The actual harm besides the massive money change plus each ACC team would have gotten bumped up one in terms of bowl slot increasing money the conference as a whole got and yeah this is likely going to lead to the ACC dissolving. They chose the absolute worst solution and made it clear how you do on the field does not matter.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And here we go with you losing the argument, so you're forced to lie and drop personal attacks. Or can you link where I said Travis was better than Coleman or Verse?

    I'm going to wait until we can have some real facts to continue this discussion. Vitriol and lies aren't the conversation I was after in this thread. If you're pissed FSU wasn't included in the CFP, well, I would be too. And there are good reasons to back FSU's claim. But there are objectively good ones to back FSU not being included as well.
    You literally said their best player isn't playing so yeah you did say that rofl
    Last edited by Xath; 2023-12-08 at 01:52 AM.

  7. #787
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    The actual harm besides the massive money change plus each ACC team would have gotten bumped up one in terms of bowl slot increasing money the conference as a whole got and yeah this is likely going to lead to the ACC dissolving. They chose the absolute worst solution and made it clear how you do on the field does not matter.
    It's costing the ACC $2 million. FSU got a spot in a NY6 bowl which pays $2 mill less than the CFP bowls. Louisville wouldn't have gotten that slot if FSU were in CFP so there's no domino effect. And if they weren't already planning to go to 12 teams next year, I could see this destroying the ACC, but because they are it's a one time problem that won't happen under the new structure. Don't get me wrong - ACC might fold, FSU already wanted out - but this isn't what's gonna do it.

    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/1...-pick-00129917
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-12-08 at 02:33 AM.

  8. #788
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    It's costing the ACC $2 million. FSU got a spot in a NY6 bowl which pays $2 mill less than the CFP bowls. Louisville wouldn't have gotten that slot if FSU were in CFP so there's no domino effect. And if they weren't already planning to go to 12 teams next year, I could see this destroying the ACC, but because they are it's a one time problem that won't happen under the new structure. Don't get me wrong - ACC might fold, FSU already wanted out - but this isn't what's gonna do it.

    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/1...-pick-00129917
    You do realize 2 million is a significant amount of money right? Like it would pretty much pay for all the non revenue sports.

  9. #789
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    You do realize 2 million is a significant amount of money right? Like it would pretty much pay for all the non revenue sports.
    Source? Or is this just another wild claim... because it really, really seems like it. 2 million is a drop in the bucket, these schools have athletic budgets in the 9 figure range.
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-12-08 at 04:12 AM.

  10. #790
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    32,142
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Source? Or is this just another wild claim... because it really, really seems like it. 2 million is a drop in the bucket, these schools have athletic budgets in the 9 figure range.
    https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...r/69830949007/

    it had 160 million revenue, but a 10 million surplus. An extra 2 million would probably be nice.

    https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/a...itution_data-2

    This is a grpah of everything, including football specific spending
    Last edited by Crissi; 2023-12-08 at 04:21 AM.

  11. #791
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...r/69830949007/

    it had 160 million revenue, but a 10 million surplus. An extra 2 million would probably be nice.

    https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/a...itution_data-2

    This is a grpah of everything, including football specific spending
    Of course it'd be nice to have 2 million, but it's not a game changer. The claim Xath made was the 2 million would pretty much pay for all the non-revenue generating sports, which is on its face ridiculous. I'm not going to search for a source to disprove it because it's his claim, but there's no way it's correct.

  12. #792
    ADs aren't ran for profit. The money has to be used in the AD, it can't be sat on forever and there is no investors to distribute it to.

    $2 mil is $2 mil not invested in the AD, which means student athletes lose because the investments back into the AD are the only way they get any benefits from all the money generated.

    One of the non revenue sports can be screwed out of a facility upgrade for a few extra years if you don't hit correct targets. Athletic Departments are not businesses, hurting their funding is hurting the student athletes not the universities just so we're clear lol.

  13. #793
    On some level, the fact that Michigan fans seem more upset about this than anybody who isn't FSU is pretty good evidence they made the right decision if you're going by the eye test.

  14. #794
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    On some level, the fact that Michigan fans seem more upset about this than anybody who isn't FSU is pretty good evidence they made the right decision if you're going by the eye test.
    Michigan fans don't care. It seems to be other fans trying to make this a thing. Michigan has to win 2 tough games regardless, it is the epitome of meaningless.

    Michigan fans watched people say all last december that they where going to blow out TCU, team likely believed the smell of their own farts and went out there and had 2 goal line turnovers and 2 pick 6s and choked the game away. If you think any smart Michigan fan thinks FSU would be an easy win after that you are reading a bunch of bullshit lol.

  15. #795
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Michigan fans don't care. It seems to be other fans trying to make this a thing. Michigan has to win 2 tough games regardless, it is the epitome of meaningless.

    Michigan fans watched people say all last december that they where going to blow out TCU, team likely believed the smell of their own farts and went out there and had 2 goal line turnovers and 2 pick 6s and choked the game away. If you think any smart Michigan fan thinks FSU would be an easy win after that you are reading a bunch of bullshit lol.
    But TCU wasn't a tough game. Michigan just threw that game away. Like 18 times. It was a comedy of errors - turnovers, blown defensive calls leading to huge yards, long punt returns. Michigan should have won that game by 30.
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-12-08 at 12:08 PM.

  16. #796
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    32,142
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    But TCU wasn't a tough game. Michigan just threw that game away. Like 18 times. It was a comedy of errors - turnovers, blown defensive calls leading to huge yards, long punt returns. Michigan should have won that game by 30.
    Probably shouldn't have tried to steal our signals then. They were relying on us not changing a thing, and thus when things turned out differently, BAM turnovers and misplays. We simply had better counterintel.

    Its also why you play the games, because "on paper" doesnt necessitate reality Otherwise, Texas the last 12 years is technically the better team due to talant gap even though we were ass. Also, Duggan was a Heisman finalist for a reason.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2023-12-08 at 03:42 PM.

  17. #797
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Probably shouldn't have tried to steal our signals then. They were relying on us not changing a thing, and thus when things turned out differently, BAM turnovers and misplays. We simply had better counterintel.

    Its also why you play the games, because "on paper" doesnt necessitate reality Otherwise, Texas the last 12 years is technically the better team due to talant gap even though we were ass. Also, Duggan was a Heisman finalist for a reason.
    It was a wild game. The play that always stuck out to me was the long run in the second half where Michigan came with an outside blitz and TCU just ran 60 yards up the middle. I don’t know about the signals thing but yes - Michigan was better team but when things went wrong they just went REALLY wrong. Pick six, broken plays for huge gains. I remember watching the game thinking Michigan’s defensive coordinator needed to be fired because there were a lot of all out calls that went wrong - big blitzes resulting in huge plays, or only rushing three and letting Duggan pick them apart. There were also a few plays where they seemed to have things totally under control then somehow TCU would squirt through for a 15 yard gain - that’s not signals that’s just bad defense. Similarly when they gave up the big punt return. They made Lax Duggan look like Lamar Jackson. Weird, weird game.

    Then the next week TCU was totally helpless against Georgia, 1.3 yards a carry.
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-12-08 at 05:11 PM.

  18. #798
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    32,142
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    It was a wild game. The play that always stuck out to me was the long run in the second half where Michigan came with an outside blitz and TCU just ran 60 yards up the middle. I don’t know about the signals thing but yes - Michigan was better team but when things went wrong they just went REALLY wrong. Pick six, broken plays for huge gains. I remember watching the game thinking Michigan’s defensive coordinator needed to be fired because there were a lot of all out calls that went wrong - big blitzes resulting in huge plays, or only rushing three and letting Duggan pick them apart. There were also a few plays where they seemed to have things totally under control then somehow TCU would squirt through for a 15 yard gain - that’s not signals that’s just bad defense. Similarly when they gave up the big punt return. They made Lax Duggan look like Lamar Jackson. Weird, weird game.

    Then the next week TCU was totally helpless against Georgia, 1.3 yards a carry.
    I think you both underestimate TCU and also how good Georgia was. I think if Michigan had gone ahead, it would prob still be something like 54-21. That was an extremely loaded Georgia team.

    TCU still had Patterson's defense minded strategy left over while also having Dykes offensive strategy. Duggan was a miracle worker and extremely shifty. They were also a senior heavy team and so everything just kind of aligned just right. Did well to capitalize on Michigan miscues, but did just flat outplay them too in other ways.


    aaaanyways I think Michigan is better this year and should prove it. Im hoping for a Texas - Michigan natty but man, Washington might tear our secondary apart lol.

  19. #799
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I think you both underestimate TCU and also how good Georgia was. I think if Michigan had gone ahead, it would prob still be something like 54-21. That was an extremely loaded Georgia team.

    TCU still had Patterson's defense minded strategy left over while also having Dykes offensive strategy. Duggan was a miracle worker and extremely shifty. They were also a senior heavy team and so everything just kind of aligned just right. Did well to capitalize on Michigan miscues, but did just flat outplay them too in other ways.


    aaaanyways I think Michigan is better this year and should prove it. Im hoping for a Texas - Michigan natty but man, Washington might tear our secondary apart lol.
    Last year is a great example of how results don’t always make sense. Georgia was the best team and barely beat OSU. OSU lost to Michigan, Michigan lost to TCU, TCU obliterated by Georgia.

    My best attempt to reconcile it is that Michigan and OSU were very close, OSU played a great game against Georgia and Michigan played an absolutely atrocious one against TCU where things went wrong early and they panicked then played a terribly undisciplined game on defense.

    I agree Michigan is better this year, OSU was worse, Alabama obviously worse than last year’s Georgia. I still think Bama is a slight favorite based on their athletes, although the betting markets disagree.
    Last edited by SpaghettiMonk; 2023-12-08 at 06:34 PM.

  20. #800
    Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    On some level, the fact that Michigan fans seem more upset about this than anybody who isn't FSU is pretty good evidence they made the right decision if you're going by the eye test.
    Not a Michigan or FSU fan still pissed. So is basically everyone who doesn't worship the conference with a losing ooc record this year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •