What does Role Playing look like for you?

I grew up playing D&D and similar games, where RP felt natural because anything was possible; it was all improv. I have a couple of toons on RP servers in WoW, but I've never really engaged the community there. RP in WoW is something I mostly do in my head. I have a backstory for my characters, know why they do what they do, and choose the content I engage with accordingly.

What about you? Do you engage with with everyone you meet? Keep to a tight group of friends with shared stories, or mostly just during solo play?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Roleplaying games for me were always about acquiring loot so I can slay more powerful monsters which reward better loot so I can slay more powerful monsters. I am more interested in the mechanical nuts of and bolts of RPGs than the imaginary roleplay per se.

Boring answer, I know I was introduced to the genre via games like Dragon Warrior, where the roleplaying is fairly limited but the core experience of leveling, exploring and gearing up is there.

That said, my first WoW server, Shadow Council, was an RP server. Sadly the raiding guild options back in 2008 were too limited and I couldn't explore all the content I wanted to explore, so I eventually had to transfer out to a regular PvE server to continue progressing my character. The most I ever roleplayed in WoW was when talking to GMs which, back then, were instructed to roleplay their communications with players.

I've always found RP to be one of the most overused, overstated concepts in video games.

That's not to say I don't think there's value in it (I do) or that there aren't people who really enjoy going deep on acting out a particular role (there are) - but that to most people, RP is not role-playing in the way that a lot of D&D players understand it, but merely a synonym for mechanics of world building and immersion that are largely extrinsic to their own function as a player. They're less interested in being able to act and react precisely the way that Gruffbeard the Alcoholic Dwarf Priest PC they created would if she were a real part of the world and more interested in having the world react as if it were real.

That's why the same people can roll their eyes and cringe at what's going on in the Goldshire inn on Moonguard but also complain that some NPC has the wrong-sounding name for their stated background or is wearing incorrect armor for their social standing or whatever. They want the WORLD to make sense in an RP way first and foremost, but they're not that bothered about fitting into that world, because they have the "PC exception" of operating on a meta level anyway and that's very difficult to shake off even if you try to - and many people neither try to nor want to.

I played on a roleplaying server for many, many years without ever really engaging in it.
    I just liked to see it in the background when was flying through the city.
    Made the world feel a bit more alive, I think.

Sounds like a lot of us who enjoy aspects of roleplaying don't really engage in any formal WoW RP groups. To me, RPGs work best when you have a local, independent GM who can improv around character decisions. Less so when the game is on a rail like in WoW. But I still enjoy knowing who my character is and why they're doing what they're doing. Allows me to take fresh approaches to repeat content when I'm on my alts.

I used to roleplay a lot more. I was a bartender in a tavern three night a week for several months. It was about having a community and just interacting. You cannot replicate tabletop RP in WoW imo. Not the right game. But you can absolutely do slice-of-life RP (and if the game had the right features, mostly housing, you could do it quite well) which imo is more about socialization than any of the other classic RP goals.

I roleplay pretty much every day. I have multiple guilds and characters and it is the reason I still play since the story became boring. This game allows you to create your own world in some ways and I love interacting with it. Some perks like housing and more customization options or an official addon for Flags could be added to make the experience perfect.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really do much outside of my own head in-game, I don't let it affect who I do and do not play the game with.

Here on mmo-champ I like to sometimes let the ol' racist Night Elf out, I mean shit, my Treehouse was burned down! I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN TELDRASSIL. The Horde deserve equal suffering.

See?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I don't really do much outside of my own head in-game, I don't let it affect who I do and do not play the game with.

Here on mmo-champ I like to sometimes let the ol' racist Night Elf out, I mean shit, my Treehouse was burned down! I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN TELDRASSIL. The Horde deserve equal suffering.

See?
    Most of my characters are part of a Role-Playing realm, but literally no one there roleplays, like, ever. Not sure if the other realms are the same. XD
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

For me, WoW RP is attending campaign events. I'm not interested in small talk like walk ups or taverns.

During MoP, I was a part of the Kor'kron Legion RP and RBG guild where we RPed as Garrosh fanatics. There were massive, server wide RP events happening several times a week with turnout in the hundreds. You had hundreds of Horde and Alliance players showing up in Arathi Highlands for Horde vs Alliance wars, or hundreds of players showing up at Mogu'shan vaults to conduct warcrimes trials for Horde players who fought for Garrosh. Lots of RP events being organized on the MG forums.

My Tauren warrior joined the Kor'Kron Legion RP guild on Moon Guard (the guild bent the lore a bit since canonically we only see Orcs in the Kor'Kron, while the guild accepted any Orc/Tauren/Troll/Goblin who pledged loyalty to Garrosh) and followed our glorious warmaster, Skullcrusha. We patrolled the streets of Orgrimmar, reported and disciplined dissidents, were the vanguard of big RP-PvP campaigns to burn puny human villages in the Eastern Kingdoms, spread the good word of Garrosh, etc. Then the Siege of Orgrimmar happened. We valiantly stood against the traitors and the invaders, but we fell, a few killed in battle and the rest of us captured. We were put on trial at the Mogu'shan Vaults in front of hundreds of Alliance and Horde scum. Then, in the Valley of Honor, on the road in front of the inn, we were given one last chance to repent, to recant the True Horde and our service to Garrosh, and to pledge allegiance to that Troll usurper. Some of us did. Some of us didn't, and we were beheaded, and my first RP character reunited with his true comrades in death.

I still have that screenshot of my officer interview when I applied to join the Kor'kron Legion, back when I mained a warrior.

Here was one prong of that push towards the Thandol Span (IIRC the Alliance held it)

RP stalled out during WoD, since that expansion was set in an alternate timeline and it was inaccessible to the normal denizens of Azeroth so people didn't really want to RP there, and that was the first expansion where there wasn't anything to do so a lot of people unsubbed, and the RPers who were still subbed decided to organize their own campaigns set on Azeroth. Legion caused issues since you can only fight against green fire demons so many times, also Argus was cool but only accessible via the Vindicaar so again most normal people couldn't get there. The RP scene briefly revived during BFA when there was excitement for more Horde vs Alliance military conflict, but then petered out as it was once again another expansion with little gameplay and the story became unsatisfying. And then Shadowlands was another faux paus that shat on the lore and was inaccessible to most normal people so RPers pretended it didn't exist and made up their own campaigns set on Azeroth. As of Dragonflight, the WoW RP scene is a shadow of its former self. There are still about one or two hundred RPs but nowhere near as much activity compared to the glory days during MoP. Dragonflight has been a mixed bag in that it has provided new factions for us to campaign against such as the Primalists or the Rothide Gnolls, but it also introduced yet more locations that are inaccessible by normal people of Azeroth like Zaralek Cavern or the Emerald Dream.

Alliance forces assembling in Stormwind Harbor for the Primalist campaign.

The Horde Vanguard mobilizes towards the Dragon Isles to combat the Primalists in the Waking Shores.

Horde forces on their ship sailing towards the Dragon Isles (using the Vash'jr ships as a proxy)

Alliance forces on their ship sailing towards the Dragon Isles.

Map showing the position of various forces as we landed on D2.

Officers brief the coalition encampment on the status of the campaign and the day's assignments. We use the Elixir of Tongues so everyone can understand cross faction.

Another campaign later on where the Horde Vanguard sailed from Orgrimmar to Eversong Woods and then marched to Lordaeron to fight Rothide Gnolls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Most of my characters are part of a Role-Playing realm, but literally no one there roleplays, like, ever. Not sure if the other realms are the same. XD
    For the US, RP is concentrated on Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord. However, with WoW's playerbase having shrunk so much, Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord RPers are now collaborating a lot, which is sometimes weird since they have a little bit server cultures and lore. WA was apparently very harsh on Garrosh loyalist RPers and in their version of the war crimes trials, almost everyone was executed or banished and that was then end of those RP characters and they don't seem too keen on "edgy" RPers, whereas on Moon Guard people who repented were allowed to live and continue RPing with us and you have people who participated in the Burning of Teldrassil or Forsaken who brewed chemical weapons and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    --- snip ---
    Have you ever Role-Played yourself in the past?

Mod Edit: Please don't quote a long, image-laden post for a single-sentence reply.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2023-11-19 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Snipped quoted post
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Have you ever Role-Played yourself in the past?
    Roleplay myself? I wouldn't say that. For my tauren characters, I RPed as a boisterous bruiser, which I am not in real life.

I'm going to RP for the first time since beta in SOD. Quite intrigued by it.

Between 2005 and 2008, I engaged in a lot of RP in World of Warcraft.

- We participated in or organized events,
    - Animated storytelling nights where each participant would tell stories,
    - I officiated marriages between characters,
    - Served as a dungeon guide,
    - And so on.

It was quite enjoyable.

Nowadays, I mostly play solo and in hardcore mode, which in my mind is also a form of RP.

I have been enjoying working out detailed backstories (consistent with lore) for my various alts. I have three done so far, but still a few to go.