Thread: Dawntrail

Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polgara View Post
    Pretty sure the post you quoted caused my neighbour's dog to start barking. . .

Wuk was a fine character, her english voice direction was fine.
    No way. Go do the final trial with JP voices, then go do it with EN (or vice-versa.) The JP actress has *so much* more emotion and emphasis that matches what the character is doing (being squished by a giant hand and pushing it off through brute force and Power of Friendship.) The EN actress just... reads the lines. You get absolutely no impression that she (Wuk) is straining or pushing herself.

It's not the only example of lacking voice direction I've found in the EN cast in DT but it's definitely the most obvious example. Athena's TREMBOLL in p12 is another example - like bro, that's not how people say that word.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    As I said in the Criticism thread, I'm not really a fan of the Tuliyollal themes (though I do prefer its Night theme over the Day one). I have, however, really enjoyed most of the themes outside of Tuliyollal, with a standout being the basic battle theme for DT. The "adventure" suites, as I think of them, such as the Ihuykatumu and Worqor Zormor themes are probably among the most epic of the lot, IMO.
    I like Tuli's music, but it doesn't suit the area for... well, obvious reasons. It's a damned weird choice to make.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Yeah, Wuk Lamat feels incredibly forced on you by part 2 of the story. I say that as someone who doesn't hate her. I don't love her per se, but I'm alright with her. But I don't think it's exaggeration to say that over the course of a single expansion narrative, she was thrust in your face harder than any character before. It was alright in part 1, but I don't feel it was necessary once she became Dawnservant. It would have been better to keep her in Tuliyollal, fending off a potential invasion. Doesn't ruin the story for me, but I cannot deny that it's the case.

I'm going to assume that they'll hit the brakes in the patch story and have her be less prevalent.
    I think it'd be cool to show her being the queen in charge and delegating tasks to her associates (what would be her cabinet members, I guess) and we follow them around and aid them. That would *show actual growth* for Wuk while simultaneously sidelining her to let other cast members get their time in the spotlight.

So, of course, we'll probably just follow Wuk around to beat up random animals and ask questions even a 6 year old would find simplistic.

Woohoo! Just finished the first trial.
    Now, i have a LOT of anxiety. Usually this means getting semi blackout drunk so i can run a dungeon or trial.

This was alleviated a little the day i realised i'd done my final dungeon with other players at the end of stormblood. The relief was genuine. But i still had those pesky trials and extra end game dungeons to run through. I think it was 6.2 when i felt completely defeated because i needed to run end game dungeons with players to unlock the bunny beast tribes; run dungeons in duty finder to get my manderville stuff; and run yet another trial to progress the msq.
    I think 6.3 led to me switching from whm to bard. And again, it helped... so long as i was mashed, i could think 'let's just run it!'

I was so relieved that the second trial didnt follow the usual level pattern (it comes much later in the msq). The dungeons are fine, i can just run them in trust. All i need to do is get through this first trial and i can play almost all of the msq in peace.

Imagine then my pure joy when i arrived at the first trial and told i could do it with the trust system! Im so excited! I can mess up to my hearts content! Banged it out... well, at the second attempt. First attempt at <5% died, the power of will or whatever it was, brought me back to life just as the massive knockback blew me off the platform. Ooops! ):
    Second time, no problem. What a fun trial! And even though i was dps carried, its so satisfying that i got to finish it properly without totally messing up (i did get a vuln stack on second run). Im actually excited to play the trials and dungeons again! Please tell me its all of them, and not just the first one?

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    snip
    Yeah I'm super happy they carried over the EW status quo of being able to use Trust in the first two trials!

I just wish they would let you do the same for the final one. Especially since, with Dawntrail, there are literally 7 other characters available and just artificially separated by absolute nonsense reasons to explain why they don't do it.

Thancred, Urianger, Y'shtola AND Estinien all need to protect the portal entrance so they can't all be there for trust? I mean at this point all you need is Estinien lol

Finished the MSQ. A lot of defenders are hand waving away criticism of the MSQ as us just not being able to handle a low stakes story. But this is a bad take for two reasons. One, the issue wasn't stakes it was a lack of a compelling narrative in the first half that didn't pick up until Dungeon 3. And two, The stakes are as fucking big as they were in Endwalker!! If EW is to be believed, the source and the reflections are about the only place left in the whole universe in which there is still life. And if the Queen had her way, each and every one of them would have been sucked dry with no permanent fix.

And now the good and bad.
    The good:
    -Dungeon mechanics challenging enough that I can't fall asleep, especially the other two 100 ones.
    -Mind blowing music, with the exception of the last track which might be the biggest miss of Soken's career. My favorite is Alexandria
    -Good art as usual
    -Mostly good voice acting
    -Three levels of good story
    -Krile actually gets some story, but STILL has to take a backseat to Wuk.

The Bad

-First half MSQ feels like it's written as a saturday morning cartoon show for preschoolers. Extremely dull, cliche ridden and predictable. Peace is good! War is bad! Friendship is magic! Is boring until dungeon 3, when it FINALLY gets going, then after some big uplift it descends back into filler once the wild west zone is spent chasing a bracelet and hauling around dung.
    -Wuk is a boring cliche character. I need just a little more than "Peace and friendship is good, mkay" for ten levels. The entire time I wanted to hang with Koana. She does not earn the shonen power jumps she gets. She kills the mood by jumping in the final boss battle and manages to tank queen and dish out insane damage. Wuk is more powerful than the WoL at this point.
    -The Scions are even more paper cut outs this time around than usual. They seriously needed to die in EW, with exception of Estinien.
    -The MSQ even when it's good feels like a copy paste of Amaurot/Emet Selch but with the details changed. The final dungeon ESPECIALLY feels like amaurot 3.0. They literally did the same end dungeon with specifics swapped three expansions in a row!
    -Very bizarre lack of tension in the final area. The Queen starts to purge her memories, it can't be stopped, and the moment it finishes she's gonna suck a planet dry of all its ether. We need to hurry!!! But first lets go on a boat ride... and have some ice cream. And do some dress up. And engage in a stage play. And take in the flowers. and.... wow. At least in ShB the tension was with us the entire time after Vauthry.

The last bad though I can't put into anything other than three whole paragraphs. The biggest, fatest L this whole expansion is First Promise. So many pages of posts and barely any mention of Zoraal Ja. It goes to show how forgettable and lousy a character he is. His motivations are so vague and barely communicated that by the time I was fighting him for the last time I couldn't entirely say why in blazes he was doing all of this in the first place. He wants... war? why? So he'd have a bigger reputation than his father to nurse his inferiority complex? what in the fucking fuck? WHY is the EX unlock bard saying he's so extremely tragic? He feels like a random NPC that somehow landed a starring role above his class.

The biggest shame is for a moment there, I actually thought they started to cultivate a good arc for him in the beginning. The merchant faction is hoping to back the warmonger counting on all the profits they think they'll make selling war saddles. Zoraal Ja immediately throws shade at them as naive and coddled. These damn money obsessed war profiteers. I'm 110% on board. But it goes nowhere. If they had written him less as just "wanting war" and more as wanting to militarize the continent because it was conquered once already, he sees all of its people becoming soft and complacent and sees the newer technologies from other continents as a major red flag that the kingdom could seriously find itself on the technological backfoot if a foreign power decided to invade, that would have made his motivations make a thousand times more sense.

It would be coming from a position of wanting to protect his people, but in the only way he knew how. And you could show that having the best of intentions could have a hand in destroying the paradise he seeks to protect. But he doesn't seek to protect. He doesn't care about anything but getting out from under his father's shadow. (and even needed borrowed power to do it! He RETREATS the moment Wuk breaks his Game Genie) and is so uncompelling as a result. And if Wuk learning to understand her brother's cynical and somber attitude was the thing that served as a springboard to dial back Wuk Lamat's gullible nature one notch and made her just a bit more of a balanced realist then that would not only have made her a better ruler, and a better character, it would have also justified Zaraal ja's character in the story! Instead we got a big nothing burger. What a let down...
    Last edited by Merie; 2024-07-10 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiria View Post
    Yeah I've reached the point of im so tired of her I just want her to go away, the character not the VA's I play in JP for reference and the voice acting has been superb, but I finally got to Section 9 and we are given the opportunity to explore, Im like Yes finally and the inner child in me got excited as im a huge sucker for sci fi vibes and i got pure PSO vibes from this place, The WL comes to me and says I want to stay with you my response was nooooo thanks just go away for 5 mins but nope I got stuck with her, sad

(im sorry I dont know how to do spoiler tags to hide things ;
    She didn't annoy me, I actually didn't mind her character but I just felt like a supporting character to her story rather than the main character of mine. Heavenward, Stormblood, Shadowbringers and Endwalker were all about us helping other people with their stories but I never felt like I took a back seat to my own along the way. It was still what my WoL experienced along the way helping with those situations. In Dawntrail I truly just felt like a supporting character to Wuk Lamats story pretty much the entire time and it didn't feel great and that last trial ending really just sealed that feeling for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It's fascinating to me how people view the roles of Wuk Lamat and the Warrior of Light, and I guess one's take varies depending on how you view your own role as the WoL. I've never felt the WoL was really the "main character" of FF14 insofar as that goes - the protagonist, sure; by dint of their being the PoV for pretty much all of FF14 as whole, but not really its main character. The WoL feels more to me like a neutral mask, similar to Neo from The Matrix films - a character the player can insert themselves into, and despite their "Chosen One" role within the overarching story, they're pretty much there to get shit done and so aren't the focus beyond those "getting shit done" portions of the actual gameplay. The story has always concerned itself more with the characters in the WoL's orbit, be it the Scions, world leaders, important personages, and so on who go on to shape the narrative. The WoL only occasionally rises to prominence now and again, but again, that's pretty much when the action boils down to pure fighting.

In that sense, it didn't bother me for Wuk Lamat, Koana, Zoraal Ja, Gulool Ja Ja, and even Bakool Ja Ja to be overall more prominent than the WoL or even the Scions this time around - it's their story, after all, just like most of the ARR to EW story-arc was the story of the Scions as a whole. I appreciate what Gulool Ja Ja was trying to achieve, as well; and while most people seem to seek to boil down Wuk Lamat's development to memeification, it seems pretty evident to me that the whole succession ordeal that Gulool devised was meant to teach each of the claimants what was truly important about being the Dawnservant (the biggest hint pretty much evident in the ruler's title): it was about learning how to be a servant of the people, to truly know them and their histories, what they bring to Tural and why. All four claimants fall short of the mark when it comes to what it takes to be the Dawnservant: Zoraal Ja confuses might for right, Bakool Ja Ja is lost in the struggle to justify his self-identity, Koana doesn't understand the importance of heritage, and Wuk Lamat appreciates peace but doesn't understand its price and what is required to maintain it. All of them begin the process of something of caricatures of aspects of Gulool's own composite personality, except perhaps Bakool, who's mostly an idiot where he's not simply lost in himself.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It's fascinating to me how people view the roles of Wuk Lamat and the Warrior of Light, and I guess one's take varies depending on how you view your own role as the WoL. I've never felt the WoL was really the "main character" of FF14 insofar as that goes - the protagonist, sure; by dint of their being the PoV for pretty much all of FF14 as whole, but not really its main character. The WoL feels more to me like a neutral mask, similar to Neo from The Matrix films - a character the player can insert themselves into, and despite their "Chosen One" role within the overarching story, they're pretty much there to get shit done and so aren't the focus beyond those "getting shit done" portions of the actual gameplay. The story has always concerned itself more with the characters in the WoL's orbit, be it the Scions, world leaders, important personages, and so on who go on to shape the narrative. The WoL only occasionally rises to prominence now and again, but again, that's pretty much when the action boils down to pure fighting.

In that sense, it didn't bother me for Wuk Lamat, Koana, Zoraal Ja, Gulool Ja Ja, and even Bakool Ja Ja to be overall more prominent than the WoL or even the Scions this time around - it's their story, after all, just like most of the ARR to EW story-arc was the story of the Scions as a whole. I appreciate what Gulool Ja Ja was trying to achieve, as well; and while most people seem to seek to boil down Wuk Lamat's development to memeification, it seems pretty evident to me that the whole succession ordeal that Gulool devised was meant to teach each of the claimants what was truly important about being the Dawnservant (the biggest hint pretty much evident in the ruler's title): it was about learning how to be a servant of the people, to truly know them and their histories, what they bring to Tural and why. All four claimants fall short of the mark when it comes to what it takes to be the Dawnservant: Zoraal Ja confuses might for right, Bakool Ja Ja is lost in the struggle to justify his self-identity, Koana doesn't understand the importance of heritage, and Wuk Lamat appreciates peace but doesn't understand its price and what is required to maintain it. All of them begin the process of something of caricatures of aspects of Gulool's own composite personality, except perhaps Bakool, who's mostly an idiot where he's not simply lost in himself.
    It didn't start out that way in ARR, and HW, but from SB onward on the WoL was definitely the main character who the story revolved around. It will eventually get to that point again, but it's refreshing to be back as a cog in the wheel instead of the entire hope to end a war(SB), to save a reflection and get the scions back home(ShB), or the savior of the universe(EW).

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It didn't start out that way in ARR, and HW, but from SB onward on the WoL was definitely the main character who the story revolved around. It will eventually get to that point again, but it's refreshing to be back as a cog in the wheel instead of the entire hope to end a war(SB), to save a reflection and get the scions back home(ShB), or the savior of the universe(EW).
    I'd argue that perspective myself, because 90% of the time, the story doesn't really revolve around the WoL - rather, the WoL revolves around the story, dragged along from event to event by dint of being the person everyone goes to for purposes of getting shit done. The WoL is just the means to an end, but it's the other characters who are enabling those ends - they're the ones that speak, the ones narrating the story or being narrated to. The WoL might occasionally chip in here or there (with the occasional prompt you're given to respond with), but these are vanishingly rare for the most part, and they don't matter or change the primary story beat. The main argument here would be that the WoL is not the person who makes the plot happen, they're just someone that the plot happens to, someone whose perspective we happen to occupy.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I'd argue that perspective myself, because 90% of the time, the story doesn't really revolve around the WoL - rather, the WoL revolves around the story, dragged along from event to event by dint of being the person everyone goes to for purposes of getting shit done. The WoL is just the means to an end, but it's the other characters who are enabling those ends - they're the ones that speak, the ones narrating the story or being narrated to. The WoL might occasionally chip in here or there (with the occasional prompt you're given to respond with), but these are vanishingly rare for the most part, and they don't matter or change the primary story beat. The main argument here would be that the WoL is not the person who makes the plot happen, they're just someone that the plot happens to, someone whose perspective we happen to occupy.
    There is no enabling, they are mere helpers or sometimes beggers for the WoL to save the day for them. Without the WoL the world was doomed multiple times now. For example if you're trying to argue Graha was the main character of ShB his ass couldn't even manage to get you there until he fucked up and trapped your other allies there first and even then the useless idiot would of had his entire city wiped out by Vauthry without the WoL.

I enjoyed SB->EW but it's refreshing for an xpac to not be reliant on you being super man and the world not being able to exist anymore if you didn't save them.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2024-07-10 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    There is no enabling, they are mere helpers or sometimes beggers for the WoL to save the day for them. Without the WoL the world was doomed multiple times now. For example if you're trying to argue Graha was the main character of ShB his ass couldn't even manage to get you there until he fucked up and trapped your other allies there first and even then the useless idiot would of had his entire city wiped out by Vauthry without the WoL.

I enjoyed SB->EW but it's refreshing for an xpac to not be reliant on you being super man and the world not being able to exist anymore if you didn't save them.
    Not really a question of enabling, or even begging the WoL for help, but more one of characterization and essential narrative agency. In that vein, yeah, I'd argue G'raha was more central and important to the story of ShB than the WoL/WoD is - I'd say the same for Ardbert, as well; albeit to a lesser degree (but still several degrees more than the WoL). This isn't to say the WoL is not a critically important resource to these other individuals, they're basically the tactical nuke the Scions, G'raha, and everyone else employs to take down huge threats no one else can tackle - be Vauthry/Innocence, the Endsinger, or Zenos Galvus. But that's really the core of it, a resource isn't a character, and the WoL is just a neutral mask the PC puts on to experience the story - from the outside looking in from a narrative sense and as an NPC-guided smart missile from a gameplay sense. And if the threat is too massive for just the WoL to take on, they just use Azem's sigil to call on copies of themselves from across the rift to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Finished the MSQ. A lot of defenders are hand waving away criticism of the MSQ as us just not being able to handle a low stakes story. But this is a bad take for two reasons. One, the issue wasn't stakes it was a lack of a compelling narrative in the first half that didn't pick up until Dungeon 3. And two, The stakes are as fucking big as they were in Endwalker!! If EW is to be believed, the source and the reflections are about the only place left in the whole universe in which there is still life. And if the Queen had her way, each and every one of them would have been sucked dry with no permanent fix.

And now the good and bad.
    The good:
    -Dungeon mechanics challenging enough that I can't fall asleep, especially the other two 100 ones.
    -Mind blowing music, with the exception of the last track which might be the biggest miss of Soken's career. My favorite is Alexandria
    -Good art as usual
    -Mostly good voice acting
    -Three levels of good story
    -Krile actually gets some story, but STILL has to take a backseat to Wuk.

The Bad

-First half MSQ feels like it's written as a saturday morning cartoon show for preschoolers. Extremely dull, cliche ridden and predictable. Peace is good! War is bad! Friendship is magic! Is boring until dungeon 3, when it FINALLY gets going, then after some big uplift it descends back into filler once the wild west zone is spent chasing a bracelet and hauling around dung.
    -Wuk is a boring cliche character. I need just a little more than "Peace and friendship is good, mkay" for ten levels. The entire time I wanted to hang with Koana. She does not earn the shonen power jumps she gets. She kills the mood by jumping in the final boss battle and manages to tank queen and dish out insane damage. Wuk is more powerful than the WoL at this point.
    -The Scions are even more paper cut outs this time around than usual. They seriously needed to die in EW, with exception of Estinien.
    -The MSQ even when it's good feels like a copy paste of Amaurot/Emet Selch but with the details changed. The final dungeon ESPECIALLY feels like amaurot 3.0. They literally did the same end dungeon with specifics swapped three expansions in a row!
    -Very bizarre lack of tension in the final area. The Queen starts to purge her memories, it can't be stopped, and the moment it finishes she's gonna suck a planet dry of all its ether. We need to hurry!!! But first lets go on a boat ride... and have some ice cream. And do some dress up. And engage in a stage play. And take in the flowers. and.... wow. At least in ShB the tension was with us the entire time after Vauthry.

The last bad though I can't put into anything other than three whole paragraphs. The biggest, fatest L this whole expansion is First Promise. So many pages of posts and barely any mention of Zoraal Ja. It goes to show how forgettable and lousy a character he is. His motivations are so vague and barely communicated that by the time I was fighting him for the last time I couldn't entirely say why in blazes he was doing all of this in the first place. He wants... war? why? So he'd have a bigger reputation than his father to nurse his inferiority complex? what in the fucking fuck? WHY is the EX unlock bard saying he's so extremely tragic? He feels like a random NPC that somehow landed a starring role above his class.

The biggest shame is for a moment there, I actually thought they started to cultivate a good arc for him in the beginning. The merchant faction is hoping to back the warmonger counting on all the profits they think they'll make selling war saddles. Zoraal Ja immediately throws shade at them as naive and coddled. These damn money obsessed war profiteers. I'm 110% on board. But it goes nowhere. If they had written him less as just "wanting war" and more as wanting to militarize the continent because it was conquered once already, he sees all of its people becoming soft and complacent and sees the newer technologies from other continents as a major red flag that the kingdom could seriously find itself on the technological backfoot if a foreign power decided to invade, that would have made his motivations make a thousand times more sense.

It would be coming from a position of wanting to protect his people, but in the only way he knew how. And you could show that having the best of intentions could have a hand in destroying the paradise he seeks to protect. But he doesn't seek to protect. He doesn't care about anything but getting out from under his father's shadow. (and even needed borrowed power to do it! He RETREATS the moment Wuk breaks his Game Genie) and is so uncompelling as a result. And if Wuk learning to understand her brother's cynical and somber attitude was the thing that served as a springboard to dial back Wuk Lamat's gullible nature one notch and made her just a bit more of a balanced realist then that would not only have made her a better ruler, and a better character, it would have also justified Zaraal ja's character in the story! Instead we got a big nothing burger. What a let down...
    Sorry, but anyone who verbatim states that Living Memory was just Amaurot 2.0 or 3.0, I can't take seriously. The only overlaps are skyscrapers and there being a civilization of people that are ostensibly no longer alive by our standards and that the villain cares about. That's it.

I will stand by the statement that Living Memory absolutely blows Amaurot and Ultima Thule out of the water in terms of atmosphere and impact. Not in aesthetic, because I find it a bit too garish, compared to Amaurot, which is more congruous from a visual standpoint. There's some other parts I object to in this entire post and feel like they're either completely reductive or outright wrong, but since I don't have the energy to launch into a several-paragraph post on DT anymore, you can just dismiss that, I guess.

So I just got through the final zone, NGL every part of it felt like a gut punch, I grew very fond of Erenvilles mother so quickly, didn't like it nope nope, no tears here... dammit, well done Yoshi P and team.

So I just got through the final zone, NGL every part of it felt like a gut punch, I grew very fond of Erenvilles mother so quickly, didn't like it nope nope, no tears here... dammit, well done Yoshi P and team.
    It's a zone that got to me more than both Amaurot and Ultima Thule. Amaurot was basically just a glorified museum trip, and Ultima Thule's like "aw crud, that sucks, but we didn't do anything to cause this." And then we leave it a better place than when we arrived.

Not Living Memory. No, Living Memory, we see it at its height, when there are still people there, and we're just the direct root cause for why it all ends. And then whenever we go back to the place, we're reminded of it. Shit's grim.

It's a zone that got to me more than both Amaurot and Ultima Thule. Amaurot was basically just a glorified museum trip, and Ultima Thule's like "aw crud, that sucks, but we didn't do anything to cause this." And then we leave it a better place than when we arrived.

Not Living Memory. No, Living Memory, we see it at its height, when there are still people there, and we're just the direct root cause for why it all ends. And then whenever we go back to the place, we're reminded of it. Shit's grim.
    While im not fully finished in the area yet, just unlocked flying did all side quests and got speed upgrade from fates I just can't do anymore tonight, my heart is literally in my throat and its killing me.

While im not fully finished in the area yet, just unlocked flying did all side quests and got speed upgrade from fates I just can't do anymore tonight, my heart is literally in my throat and its killing me.
    Oh, then I'm sorry for spoiling you. I had assumed you had finished! I hope you "enjoy" what remains.

Oh, then I'm sorry for spoiling you. I had assumed you had finished! I hope you "enjoy" what remains.
    All good, I enjoyed, just sad had a wtf moment in the final trial but eh.. hopefully we'll see less of her from now on, gimme more Graha!

Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but anyone who verbatim states that Living Memory was just Amaurot 2.0 or 3.0, I can't take seriously. The only overlaps are skyscrapers and there being a civilization of people that are ostensibly no longer alive by our standards and that the villain cares about. That's it.
    You keep saying this and then never follow through on why you feel this way.

Are you just upset that people are pointing out the complacency on display by CBU3?

I will stand by the statement that Living Memory absolutely blows Amaurot and Ultima Thule out of the water in terms of atmosphere and impact. Not in aesthetic, because I find it a bit too garish, compared to Amaurot, which is more congruous from a visual standpoint. There's some other parts I object to in this entire post and feel like they're either completely reductive or outright wrong, but since I don't have the energy to launch into a several-paragraph post on DT anymore, you can just dismiss that, I guess.

There are way more similarities than what you're telling.
    Sphene:
    -Can teleport like an ascian
    -Can revive after being cutdown like an ascian
    -Can possess other bodies like an ascian
    -Seeks to bring about a rejoining like an ascian
    -NEEDS TO SACRIFICE OUR PEOPLE TO SAVE HERS LIKE AN ASCIAN

She's practically an ascian in all but name for all narrative purposes. Her having a futuristic city with skyscrapers like Emet Selch was only the beginning of the similarities. It isn't just with the zone and villain either. The final dungeon mirrors the amaurot dungeon as well. It may as well have opened with "Welcome to the final days of Alexandria!". The specifics of the dead people being drones with the original's memories instead of being conjured shades may differ, but the format is more than just a passing similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post

There are way more similarities than what you're telling.
    Sphene:
    -Can teleport like an ascian
    -Can revive after being cutdown like an ascian
    -Can possess other bodies like an ascian
    -Seeks to bring about a rejoining like an ascian
    -NEEDS TO SACRIFICE OUR PEOPLE TO SAVE HERS LIKE AN ASCIAN

She's practically an ascian in all but name for all narrative purposes. Her having a futuristic city with skyscrapers like Emet Selch was only the beginning of the similarities. It isn't just with the zone and villain either. The final dungeon mirrors the amaurot dungeon as well. It may as well have opened with "Welcome to the final days of Alexandria!". The specifics of the dead people being drones with the original's memories instead of being conjured shades may differ, but the format is more than just a passing similarity.
    But she doesn't want to bring about a rejoining...

She wants to suck the souls and energy of adjacent reflections to keep her matrix running.

It's fascinating to me how people view the roles of Wuk Lamat and the Warrior of Light, and I guess one's take varies depending on how you view your own role as the WoL. I've never felt the WoL was really the "main character" of FF14 insofar as that goes - the protagonist, sure; by dint of their being the PoV for pretty much all of FF14 as whole, but not really its main character.
    This is an interesting take.

For most of the game I've assumed that Alphinaud was the de-facto main character. He made a lot of the important decisions, he was the one who did all the talking in cutscenes, all the negotiating, came up with the plans, found us allies and always seemed to have a direct route to the people in power. He's certainly gone through the most character growth so far, and there's still plenty more for him to do in future. The player was just there to support him with the problems he couldn't talk his way around.

Dawntrail has been similar, where Wuk Lamat is the de-facto main character who handles all the people skills and the player is there to deal with the problems that can't be talked down.

By comparison, I've always considered my character to be a mute murder-hobo who communicates only with pointed stares, shrugs and that one "Leave it to me!" gesture with the chest tapping. Alphinaud grated on me for a while, at least until towards the end of HW. I've not had any major issues with Wuk Lamat. There's a lot I thought they could have done better with her, but it's good enough at least. Like Alphinaud, she's also got a lot more room to grow in future so it'll be interesting to see where she goes from here.