Poll: Do fancy gowns seem odd for adventuring?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's a fantasy game.
    If a woman wants to adventure while looking sexy, there's no reason to adhere to "practicality" or whatever. At all. None. Zero.

You want to cover up? You have a ton of options to do so. Use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    Are you seriously advocating realistic survival gear in a high fantasy setting? I hope you're joking.
    I think having some aspects of a story - even most aspects - be realistic makes it easier to marvel at the magic and wondrous. Fire still burns, and frost freezes. Why? When we could have it the other way around? Heck, we could have anything and everything be random, with no basis at all in how things work in real life. But our screens would soon become chaos.

I have nothing against wearing fancy gowns; they're just not what I'd wear into a dangerous setting where I might have to dive for cover or fight off mobs swinging weapons at me. A kilt, maybe, or loose-fitting robes that left plenty of room for movement. Not so much something dressy and tapered and only good for dinner parties.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    How dare you get in the way of OP's whiteknighting
    Hmmm... I never thought of it as white knighting. I'm not even against slut mogs, for those that get their jollies that way. I'm more bothered by barriers to suspending disbelief, like when you're watching a sci-fi movie and they the writers have something happen that just isn't how it works.

The other example I used in this thread was having tier sets for rogues and hunters be shiny and glowy. Ever seen what our RL special forces wear when they're trying to be sneaky? There's no shiny metal, let alone glow-in-the-dark. Why would my rogue want to glow in the dark? Or even wear reflective metal? He'd want to black out everything, or have it blend into his surroundings. But most players prefer to be the shiniest thing on their screens, regardless of logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Holdodlig View Post
    I don't think anybody cares. If you wish to be practical then you'll probably not play any of WoW's race except for human as every other race have some unpractical feature in its design. Also WoW inspirations comes from DnD, Warhammer and 80s heroic fantasy which weren't exactly known for their practical design. They follow aesthetic rules, and not realistic ones.

It's funny because it's one of the topics that always comes in WoW's roleplaying community and it's always the same answer. You wouldn't use a quarter of the weapon available in Vanilla WoW in real life because they are not practical. Same for the armor.
    Agreed. And at least I'm consistent in my unpopular opinion lol. I never like the ridiculously over-sized weapons, or the daggers that look impractical for stabbing. I want a weapon that looks like I could actually use it effectively.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Speaking as a guy who sometimes plays female characters for the singular reason that they look better, I am going to have to disagree. Bring on the sexy and extravagant, no matter how ridiculously impractical it would actually be outside of a bedroom or a ballroom. The game is unrealistic fantasy anyway, if we can survive getting bitten by zombies, mauled by wild animals, shot, stabbed, poisoned, set on fire, punched by giants made of stone, etc, then showing some skin or running around in expensive formal wear is hardly an issue. Besides, as long as transmog exists, even if they started designing gear to be terrain and battle appropriate, most people would continue to look goofy anyway, so no point caring about that, just put on what you like.
    Fair enough! It's your sub fee; you should enjoy the game your way.
    We just have different tastes. Personally, I'd be fine with my (1st) female character wearing a fancy gown to Court of Stars, for example, where it makes sense, but it gets in the way of my immersion when she's wearing that same outfit into a gnoll camp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Well Done Steak View Post
    /eye roll

Just use mogs that don't show EXTRA FEMALE SKIN *THUNDER CLAP*
    How much skins shows actually bothers me less than gear that looks movement-constraining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    "Practical gear" is just not really something Blizzard goes for in their design, anyways.

After all, how well do you think people would be able to fight wielding a sword that is taller than they are and sometimes WIDER than they are, on top of wearing metal pauldrons on their shoulders that are often bigger than their heads?

And nowadays even their belt buckles are so thick and cumbersome they make WWE belts look like karate belts.
    Yes! Those things annoy me too, and for the same reasons!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Madmartegan View Post
    Well its because Wizards usually wear robes. I mean in LoTR Gandalf spends the whole time going from the Shire all the way to Gondor in either a Grey robe or a white one. He went up snowy mountains wearing that, rode the king of horses in a robe, ventured into the Mines of Moria in a robe and fell into shadow and through it all wearing a robe. Its just something wizards have usually worn in almost all fantasy stories. And mages in WoW are technically wizards... Warlocks are necromancers and priest are healers.... all of which in most fantasy wear robes, thus the same in WoW.
    Gandalf's robes never look like fancy ball gowns. His robes look loose, sturdy, and functional.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    It's a fantasy game.
    If a woman wants to adventure while looking sexy, there's no reason to adhere to "practicality" or whatever. At all. None. Zero.

You want to cover up? You have a ton of options to do so. Use them.
    I actually think the practical version of my mog (OP) still looks sexy. I think she looks realistic and attractive at the same time.

To Infinity and Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by Joveon Lightbringer View Post
    I think having some aspects of a story - even most aspects - be realistic makes it easier to marvel at the magic and wondrous. Fire still burns, and frost freezes. Why? When we could have it the other way around? Heck, we could have anything and everything be random, with no basis at all in how things work in real life. But our screens would soon become chaos.

I have nothing against wearing fancy gowns; they're just not what I'd wear into a dangerous setting where I might have to dive for cover or fight off mobs swinging weapons at me. A kilt, maybe, or loose-fitting robes that left plenty of room for movement. Not so much something dressy and tapered and only good for dinner parties.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... I never thought of it as white knighting. I'm not even against slut mogs, for those that get their jollies that way. I'm more bothered by barriers to suspending disbelief, like when you're watching a sci-fi movie and they the writers have something happen that just isn't how it works.

The other example I used in this thread was having tier sets for rogues and hunters be shiny and glowy. Ever seen what our RL special forces wear when they're trying to be sneaky? There's no shiny metal, let alone glow-in-the-dark. Why would my rogue want to glow in the dark? Or even wear reflective metal? He'd want to black out everything, or have it blend into his surroundings. But most players prefer to be the shiniest thing on their screens, regardless of logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. And at least I'm consistent in my unpopular opinion lol. I never like the ridiculously over-sized weapons, or the daggers that look impractical for stabbing. I want a weapon that looks like I could actually use it effectively.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough! It's your sub fee; you should enjoy the game your way.
    We just have different tastes. Personally, I'd be fine with my (1st) female character wearing a fancy gown to Court of Stars, for example, where it makes sense, but it gets in the way of my immersion when she's wearing that same outfit into a gnoll camp.

- - - Updated - - -

How much skins shows actually bothers me less than gear that looks movement-constraining.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes! Those things annoy me too, and for the same reasons!

- - - Updated - - -

Gandalf's robes never look like fancy ball gowns. His robes look loose, sturdy, and functional.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think the practical version of my mog (OP) still looks sexy. I think she looks realistic and attractive at the same time.
    You are aware that rogues actually use magic to vanish in WoW? Having flashy gear doesn't matter at all as they literally turn invisible instead of "being stealth mode".

We got a lot of good "plain and practical" weapons recently too with the starting zone. I'm equipping one in that screenshot earlier, a nice plain bamboo pole. Some days I want that, other times I want a massive keg on a stick and the stick has a dragon's head that's constantly breathing fire. No shortages there either.

It'd really help if you showed screenshots of examples that you would want. I've got my civilian equipment options, backpacks, profession gear, basic high res weapons, RAF has dibs on the explorer's attire set but that's really good, goofy/RP non-weapons like magnifying glasses, forks and goblets. What, specifically, do you think we're still missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I don't disagree, but WoW is past redemption at this point.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

I support options. But my un-scientific analysis tells me 2/3 of tier sets are ball gowns, each of which could have been something more practical. Maybe every set could have a toggle for the legs and chest?

- - - Updated - - -

Why not both? You saying a woman can't look both at same time?
    Tier sets are mainly supposed to be magical, powerful higher armour sets found within magical citadels etc etc so having them be more down-to-earth makes less sense.

Blizz's current tactic of releasing the more practical armour pieces as cosmetics from random events is way better imo.

Honestly I legitimatley no longer care if I get shot for saying this but "If you wanna wear skimpy armor, thats fine."

Im standing by it, because your char, your choice, your fantasy, not everyone has to be practical, male, female, I really, dont care.