Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    But we can agree, that warcraft with metzen is way better than without him. Like Star wars was much better with Lucas than with disney.
    lorewise, sure. it's hard to compete with the guy who built the universe from the ground up.

I know you will be reading through these comments, so welcome back Chris. You are one of the very few (if not only?) remaining titans.
    --insert "help me obi-wan-kenobi-you're-my-only-hope" meme--

I do sincerely hope you will be able to turn our beloved Titanic in time.
    ... but if it have already hit the iceberg, you will atleast be the captain going down with the ship.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2023-09-26 at 06:21 PM.

Overwatch and Legion were his last true projects he had any hand in. Will be interesting to see how the Warcraft universe shifts in the next 4-6 years, as 11.0+ onward will be largely under his creative control. But to be fair, unless 10.2 is the last major patch of Dragonflight, 11.0 will only be partially influenced by him. If 10.2 IS the last major patch, it would explain why it is the last major patch.

Having flashbacks to WoD and BfA TBH. Not sure if it'll really amount to anything, but at least 12.0 onward will be under his direction. For better or for worse, he's definitely 'the best' at doing Warcraft themed things. That isn't to say his writing is good or bad though.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Metzen was the heart and soul of wow during it's golden age, and being in control and the decision maker is a huge difference from just an advisor. He's just one person and probably won't be able to fix everything that's wrong in wow, but this really is major and positive news for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn they must have paid him soo much or he couldn’t stand watching wow get raped anymore. He’s teflon for now. Oh metzen!

Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. I know Metzen is an important figure to a lot of people, but he has made some mistakes with WoW through the years. I hope it turns out well.
    like what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    Damn they must have paid him soo much or he couldn’t stand watching wow get raped anymore. He’s teflon for now. Oh metzen!
    Well, I imagine the former.

I am sure ActiBlizz put some big check on the table there and he took it, because you gotta put some slice of ham on that bread at the end of the day. He does love Warcraft, but I am sure working with ActiBlizz was not his first choice.

---

And yeh, I may seem a bit salty round these parts, but it is a positive development for WoW. I just hope it will be more than a big sounding position with little actual power.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2023-09-26 at 06:26 PM.

They drove a dumptruck full of money up to his house. He's not made of stone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    I mean, I dont think Warcraft Gaming was making enough to stay afloat either. Seemed more like a side project than a main job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    I mean, I dont think Warcraft Gaming was making enough to stay afloat either. Seemed more like a side project than a main job.
    I am sure Metzen could find place in a dozen big gaming studios if he so desired, but he'd rather be a king than a common bitch. So, guess it's money and status.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    If they can get Krusty, they can get anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't play the game anymore, but it takes guts to come back to WoW after all these years and in its current state. I wish Metzen and the rest of the team the best of luck. Maybe I'll be enticed once again to return to Azeroth.

Metzen's always been at the helm of the horde and alliance cooperating with one another, while still being at war with one another. The new faction stuff isn't going away, it just means things are going to develop in a different way going forward, Metzen or not.

As for creative control, we hopefully won't be revisiting the Shadowlands era of blandness and bad decisions any time soon, or the random Corruption gear we had in BFA (Though, I do like the fact they used a last patch to experiment there. Nothing ventured nothing gained.)

And Metzen was there for Warlords of Draenor, so in no way is he infallible... but hopefully things aren't promised and not delivered upon like in the past.

Though, with the Overwatch/2 fiasco, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Overwatch and Legion were his last true projects he had any hand in. Will be interesting to see how the Warcraft universe shifts in the next 4-6 years, as 11.0+ onward will be largely under his creative control. But to be fair, unless 10.2 is the last major patch of Dragonflight, 11.0 will only be partially influenced by him. If 10.2 IS the last major patch, it would explain why it is the last major patch.

Having flashbacks to WoD and BfA TBH. Not sure if it'll really amount to anything, but at least 12.0 onward will be under his direction. For better or for worse, he's definitely 'the best' at doing Warcraft themed things. That isn't to say his writing is good or bad though.
    Seems like nobody is really paying attention. He's getting a title change, he has been back at Blizzard since 2022. He's spent the last 9 months doing stuff, in the "Warcraft universe" not WoW specifically.

He came back about 9 months after MS announced acquisition, so it is likely MS approached him to bring him back.

2016 -- "quit" to "retire" to "spend time with family"
    2018 -- started a board game company because he was bored with his family
    2022 -- rehired by Blizzard to do "Warcraft related" stuff
    2023 -- promoted to do "Warcraft related" stuff
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Railander View Post
    like what?
    thrall McGuffin in cata

7+ Year Old Account
    Now they just need to Reinstate Russel Brower and leave on authomatic pilot.

Who's ready for another Thrall-centric expansion with our favourite green Jesus stand-in?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Good move.

This lovecraft BS in Dragonflight is boring as hell.
    The factions and races we actually play and love are not involved in the story anymore and all we currently have are dragons and dragon villians nobody actually cares about.
    Exactly, we don't care about dragon's problems. Btw One of the most boring periods of wow was Cataclysms, that left with a bad taste. All bosses were dragons reskins.

10+ Year Old Account
    “Blizzcon, the wait is over”

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlehoff View Post
    Who's ready for another Thrall-centric expansion with our favourite green Jesus stand-in?
    I think it will be a new game. His original hire said he'd spend a short time focused on WoW and then shift to other projects in the Warcraft universe. He was hired 9 months after MS acquisition announced, he was promoted the week after the MS acquisition was approved by regulators.

Gonna be a Thrall-centric game for PC/Console/(mobile?) that could be WoW-2 or could be Classic+ or could be something else.

Classic and Retail existing side-by-side proves they could run WoW and WoW2 side-by-side as well, IMO. It basically just makes retail a flavor of classic.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.